Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/StefanTompson/status/1590941539400024065?cxt=HHwWgoDQpdS5lJQsAAAA

This guy rocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
lmao the danes sent a brigade's worth of nazis.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/TreasChest/status/1592253730254118913

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

this latest round of reprisals has actually been reported upon in mainstream western news sources, though in quite sanitised terms. i was honestly taken a little aback at that, and it may have spooked the ukrainian leadership

if it spooks them into cutting back on reprisals on civilians I will honestly say that for once Western media did a material good

Tankbuster posted:

Because paradox made the map moddable?

This triggers my madeleine cookie for when they first made the EU2 map moddable as (for the time) enormously unwieldy photoshop files and a bunch of us in a whatever Total Conversion mod spent ages arguing about the smallest HRE state to warrant inclusion... I recall being very proud of the compromises I offered in matching political province boundaries with geographic features and river lines

But I'll shut up about this topic. I need to catch up with the proper strategy game thread anyway

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

evilmiera posted:

As someone who has played tons of paradox games, this is probably the only post of yours that I think is both good and correct.

Thank you. Slava Ukraini.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Tankbuster posted:

lmao the danes sent a brigade's worth of nazis.

danes rock

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Clanada

speng31b
May 8, 2010

correct

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Truga posted:

the only good paradox game is stellaris because it doesn't shy away from the stupider topics of empires

in hoi4, the whole "actually, germany is doing a triple genocide to everyone south or east of them" never comes up at all lmfao, at least in stellaris i can purge the heretic space elves

hey now they put in the occupation mechanic with the totally not concentration camp option that no one has any reason to choose ever

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/jaketropolis/status/1591586322678190081?cxt=HHwWgsDUif7UuZYsAAAA

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

It's kid of telling how every major HoI4 mod treats the actual combat system as a chore to get through until you can trigger the next set of political RP events

no time for fixing critical game mechanics! SWITZERLAND NEEDS A FOCUS TREE

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I really loving wish this didn't turn into paradox thread, god drat it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

oh right we made a thread specifically for this lol

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

We have like three threads for it, and it keeps happening.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

paradox AI rear end war

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Weka posted:

It was there. Remember these things were originally built in the 90s. They are trying to up production from 2k to 4k annually.
https://www.defensenews.com/industry/2022/05/09/lockheed-aiming-to-double-javelin-production-seeks-supply-chain-crank-up/.

:monocle:

Wow so there are, like, charitably, a dozen people in an office park somewhere assembling 4 a day? Like two container loads a year probably. And then 50 more people working in middle management marketing and whatnot. But like a dozen people are globally responsible for assembling these things. Volume is so low they probably put in a single 1000 unit order to two suppliers just in case one of them goes out of business. And yeah guys accepting 1000 unit orders taken a year in advance probably can't double their output because I bet in a lot of cases they're running this out of their garage

:psyduck:

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Drake no - Central Europe
Drake yes - Centrist Europe

Edit: I was going to go "neither Communist nor Nazist" but of course the socdem Three Arrows already did that :v:

ItohRespectArmy posted:

paradox AI rear end war

My God, someone finally says it...

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hey.

Stop talking about the confusing video games.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020
I'll play hoi if paradox lets me enslave the ethiopians and use them as food for my slovenian territories.

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

A question for Frosted Flake, would you recommend any one volume history of land artillery during the 19th century, developments from Waterloo to Ypres. Hopefully something not just covering just one country?

Commandante Turtle Watch here, my cadets often ask me the same question and I always recommend His Rock Hard Rhythm by Brigadier General Flora Dare Josie Kell, OBE

“In her groundbreaking work on orcish siege and artillery tactics from the late Second Age (~1600 S.A.) to today she shows detailed and granular details of barrel lengths, widths, as well as the weight and timing of the heavy ordnance loads common in the punishing big gun onslaught of the orcish hordes. Using actual logistics schema recorded in the original orcish on discovered manflesh manuscripts, weights of fire, barrage timings and extensive nomographs reveal the underlying strategies and tactics of their historical battles that modern Warchiefs still use in modified forms today”

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

lobster shirt posted:

that was a deliberate design choice on the part of the devs as they wanted to make a war simulator not a game where you can do the holocaust. whether thats appropriate for a world war 2 game is up for debate but knowing the political beliefs of a big chunk of paradox's player base i think that disallowing the player from meaningfully interacting with civilian populations (except as an abstract number for manpower) is certainly defensible lol

Yeah, any game mechanic that showed the real or imagined “advantages” to those policies would be pretty horrifying, and a mechanic with penalties like “-20 manpower for being evil”, may not be worth including?

i just wanted to quote this to say lmao

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

if it spooks them into cutting back on reprisals on civilians I will honestly say that for once Western media did a material good

i honestly don't think they have the kind of control over their guys needed to keep this stuff from happening even if they were so inclined - junior officers typically take a lot of casualties and take a while to effectively replace, so it's probably where the ukrainians are weakest atm - but they have gotten more restrictive with press access and probably they're being more serious about discouraging the most blatant reprisals

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

i honestly don't think they have the kind of control over their guys needed to keep this stuff from happening even if they were so inclined - junior officers typically take a lot of casualties and take a while to effectively replace, so it's probably where the ukrainians are weakest atm - but they have gotten more restrictive with press access and probably they're being more serious about discouraging the most blatant reprisals

Yeah, if history is any guide, internal purges for loyalty will always trump external peans of propriety

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

meekly asking the deathsquads to please remain civil when purging

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

like 200 Danes joined the Allies and the government didn’t go into exile or really support the Allied cause but they sure did make a movie about it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kao3t0NBMU

iirc the only action against the Germans by the Danes after 1940 was in 1945 when the Soviets were about to liberate some islands so they hurriedly joined the war with like 3 days to go

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

western good-will is an insanely important strategic asset for the ukrainians to be maintained at almost any cost, though, so i really do think that they'll try to keep reprisal stories as far out of the headlines as possible - even fans can only rationalise this stuff so many times before the saintly image starts falling apart, and at that point it's a problem. is it a big problem? who knows, imo not unless the economic situation among sponsor countries continues to deteriorate

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

western good-will is an insanely important strategic asset for the ukrainians to be maintained at almost any cost, though, so i really do think that they'll try to keep reprisal stories as far out of the headlines as possible - even fans can only rationalise this stuff so many times before the saintly image starts falling apart, and at that point it's a problem. is it a big problem? who knows, imo not unless the economic situation among sponsor countries continues to deteriorate

Again, I hope this will prove powerful enough to restrain the impulse of Ukrainian Nazi paramilitaries to exact vengeance on ethnic deviants. What will happen, we have to wait and see

speng31b
May 8, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

even fans can only rationalise this stuff so many times before the saintly image starts falling apart, and at that point it's a problem

love the optimism, but disagree. people will literally just ignore this stuff and double down on what they want to see

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I tire of Putin, the west should handle him ourselves

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Why couldn't they settle this on a round of war thunder? It's eSports ready!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Nonsense posted:

I tire of Putin, the west should handle him ourselves

Lol good luck with that

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/mdfzeh/status/1592273738170507265

speng31b
May 8, 2010

jfc!!! that's bad

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

If anyone cared about playing Hearts of Iron for the wargame gameplay why is the primary focus of these mods on their alternate reality narrative state?

Because the war game mechanics of the base game are pretty good and it's easier to write fanfic than overhaul the entire game

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Hey.

Stop talking about the confusing video games.

i'd agree but the war is basically over so there's nothing to talk about right. maybe there will be content after winter when ukraine marches onward to moscow

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Moscow to be renamed Zelenscow

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/BarrickTim/status/1534998944522067970?t=hoxI3kWoK6UqTqR4Rg940Q&s=19

FF please do the needful

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Huh, Canada decided to formally recognise their volunteers?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

V. Illych L. posted:

western media wont report on anything they do for years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

western media wont report on anything they do for years

They may just let it go entirely except for a few back page stories here and there.