Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Elton Misk (PARODY)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Susan

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

mysterious frankie posted:

In the real world, yeah. Musk however is an extremely online old man, which means he mainly comes into contact with the left on social media, and despite being a marginal voice in actual politics, online they look big and strong and hurt his feelings while stimming via shitposts.

Does musk post in cspam?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I feel like Musk would be a GBS guy

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

The password is G R I M E S

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
pourin' one out to a real one

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
i can no longer tell if elon is deliberately destroying twitter because he never wanted to pay for it in the first place and $44 billion still leaves him with 200 more billions, or if he truly is this stupid. or both

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

roffles posted:

:tinfoil: elong tusk searches his name all the time what if he finds the forums and offers 420.69 million for it :ohdear:

(its fun)

Eoln did a google search and found the Simpsons quote where Smithers says "you have an enchanting musk" and sat back with a dumb grin

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
At this point I'd say he's destroying Twitter on purpose, but he's doing it in a way that makes it clear it's directly his fault, undermines people's faith in everything else he's involved in, and obliterates what little remained of his carefully constructed tech genius persona.

ponzicar fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 15, 2022

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Not if he ends the ordeal by saying "If you didn't think I knew I was going to sink twitter, remember what I showed up with on the first day".

Basically, he can always handwave this away as being on purpose and his audience will eat it up.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He's too soft a boy to post anywhere people disagree with him.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

ponzicar posted:

At this point I'd say he's destroying Twitter on purpose, but he's doing it in a way that makes it clear it's directly his fault, undermines people's faith in everything else he's involved in, and obliterates what little remained of his careful constructed tech genius persona.

Yeah but only for people who already weren't fans. All the bazingas and chuds still think he's a big brain genious owning the libs.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

How is he so bad at this while also thinking he's so good at this that he can just suddenly have them turn 80% of Twitter's microservices off with no consequences?

Why the gently caress is that dumb shithead asking this stuff on Twitter? Why isn't he asking in Slack? Talking to his engineers?

This is the part I'm asking?
I know the answer is that he's an idiot and craves public attention, but I just can't internalize that.

mysterious frankie posted:

In the real world, yeah. Musk however is an extremely online old man, which means he mainly comes into contact with the left on social media, and despite being a marginal voice in actual politics, online they look big and strong and hurt his feelings while stimming via shitposts.

I was about to say *I'm* an extremely online old (53) man, but no, not as much as Elmo is. Also not a right wing extremist chud to begin with, FWIW.

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

stdh. If a company is able to compensate you well, they're also likely to be the kind of place that appreciates employees enough to not mandate working through lunch breaks.

I work for a European branch of a San Jose tech company. OT during crunch periods is strictly opt-in. We're all salaried at different levels, but it works out about 2x per hour what the average person here would earn if they were paid hourly. Back when we still worked in the office OT pizza and beer were just expensed thank you items above the regular free snacks/coffee/sodas we had in the office.

Since everyone went to WFH we've replaced them with Amazon or JustEat/Deliveroo vouchers, but the primary motivator behind people doing OT has always been getting that bump in their next pay statement.

Yeah, Crypto-bro there has never held a job with reasonable working conditions in his life, never mind the complete blindness to the fact the guy *works* for the social media he's "mouthing off" on, and was forced to respond on that same social media in public because his overlord says so and is doing so himself.

Steadiman posted:

The people responsible for new emojis should just add a checkmark emoji to gently caress with Elon. That way everyone can be verified on everything

Holy poo poo that would be genius.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Party Ape posted:

I trust we can still call him ol' musky.
Musky Bottoms

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

HonorableTB posted:

i can no longer tell if elon is deliberately destroying twitter because he never wanted to pay for it in the first place and $44 billion still leaves him with 200 more billions, or if he truly is this stupid. or both

I can understand him firing people and not understanding how technology works, but picking a fight with a senator who has oversight on your company? That's like sovereign citizen crazy.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Tei posted:

Elon Musk company strategy
- Fire anyone that disagree with me
- Fire anyone brining bad news

He needs this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi-YLIwkfJs

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I just remembered the interview with his dad who talked about an incident where Elon was pushed down stairs at school and his dad went "eh, probably deserved it, always does" and that made me lol so hard

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

PederP posted:

Let me rephrase it then: "it's his net worth to deflate by making dumb investments". He is not going to make back the billions he wasted. He blew them on an ego-trip. But he still has plenty assets to live like a king - and do this again. It is horrifying and entrancing to watch this circus at a distance - but it's really just a macrocosm of some middle class shmuck with a good net worth losing a chunk of it to bad crypto-investments. Elon might be sad for a while - he might be bitter for the rest of life even - but unless he ups the stupid-ante or repeats this trick one time too many he is more likely to die at the peak of wealth in some dumb accident or from a heart attack than to crash and burn in humility from this failed venture. And sure he might go on a spiral of crazy stunts until he ends up like a more spectacular version of John Macafee - but he might not. He might convince himself the billions of net worth lost paid back for themselves through an awesome ride on the centre-of-attention coaster.

TL;DR - he can fail horribly at making up those billions, move on and still be insanely rich.

I am not applauding this or him - I just think those who are convinced this is the end of Elon Musk as a businessman and wealthy public person are as deluded as those who think him some kind of genius hero.

The terms of his debt with banks isn't public but we know at least Tesla stock is backing it and has his personal guarantees. If he has to liquidate large portions of Tesla (he will), that's gonna tank Tesla stock, which will probably put him in violation of covenants of those loan agreements that guaranteed have requirements that he put up additional collateral or pay down the debt if the value of the collateral falls below a certain point, which will feed a spiral where he sells stock to satisfy covenants, but the resulting devaluation results in violations of more covenants.

This is outside of the senior loans backed by Twitter itself, because the money he put up personally was financed as well by personal arrangements backed by his other holdings (Tesla and SpaceX). Loans securitized by ownership of businesses always have terms that are brutal because it's such a big risk to the bank. Margin loans have insane interest rates and oppressive collateral requirements because of how volatile business values are.

Not to mention Twitter was losing money before they added a billion in annual interest and ran off the advertisers, and the interest on the personal loans is probably similar interest on the Twitter's senior loans - probably another billion+ in interest each year. Plus the operating costs he's gonna have to pump money into Twitter to cover if he wants to keep it afloat, probably in the billions too after advertisers split. Twitter's ad revenue in 2021 was $5.1 billion, if that all disappears that's money he has to come up with to cover operating costs.

Again coming up with all of this money is gonna force him to liquidate holdings, which is gonna feed the problem.

He's probably not gonna go completely broke if Twitter disappears but it's gonna take him off the Forbes list. Like this isn't an oops, lost 10% of my net worth gently caress-up, this is going to absolutely wreck his finances. He might be a mere millionaire in a few years if he can't turn this around.

e:

adding a TLDR

TLDR: this is a lot worse on his finances than anyone is reporting and could very well ruin him

vaginite fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 15, 2022

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

HonorableTB posted:

He is this stupid, proof he bought twitter ads for tesla and starlink neither has advertised before.

He panic bought ads just to say he has new companies signing up.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I think we're missing the forest for the trees here - he's fired all the engineers and is now posting tech questions on Twitter

He thinks he can crowd-source tech solutions from his bootlickers to save money

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Superrodan posted:

Not if he ends the ordeal by saying "If you didn't think I knew I was going to sink twitter, remember what I showed up with on the first day".

Basically, he can always handwave this away as being on purpose and his audience will eat it up.

Except no one will ever loan him money or sign a deal with him again. He's not the sole owner of twitter.

Ed: and don't forget most of the value of Tesla is in the perception that he's some kind of business genius. He's burning that now even if he later says it was deliberate.

Party Ape fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 15, 2022

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Elder Postsman posted:

bazingas and chuds

British food is so weird

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I think we're missing the forest for the trees here - he's fired all the engineers and is now posting tech questions on Twitter

Has anyone tweeted at him to get a Stack Overflow account?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Party Ape posted:

Except no one will ever loan him money or sign a deal with him again. He's not the sole owner of twitter.

I think the Saudis would be on board if he tried to buy Facebook or any other comms platform and completely destroy it's security too

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

MysticalMachineGun posted:

It's this. This is the best part. How much does he accidentally leak while trying to 'engineer' his way out of this?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

vaginite posted:

Has anyone tweeted at him to get a Stack Overflow account?

"🤣🤣 I've had a Stack Overflow account for over a decade, maybe I'll buy that next 🤣🤣"

(Account has 0 badges, 0 reputation)

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
TrueUp has an interesting "tech layoff tracker" going. Includes a running tally and links to either the press releases or notable articles https://www.trueup.io/layoffs

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGR5HP3KSBk

do you have the strength of will required not to click on this video or are you weak in the face of temptation

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
How do the Saudis feel about Twitter's new direction?

they don't seem like a lol destroy a company meme kinda people.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Musk's exposure to Twitter's losses is already fully baked in. He was going to put up some Tesla stock as collateral but managed to swindle sweettalk a bunch of other entities to take an equity stake too. Of the purchase price, plus fees, roughly 55% was paid by Musk and is owned outright, and the remaining is split between debt held by Twitter and equity owned by others. That debt is already deeply underwater, by the way, though the banks haven't tried to syndicate and offload them off their books the rumor is that there are no potential buyers for more than 60 cents on the dollar for the non-investment grade bonds. Twitter's debt was already junk before Melon took over and, uh, it's not gotten any better. But that's a Twitter problem, not a problem that personally threatens Musk's other wealth.

Musk will still handily be a billionaire even if he mails the keys to Twitter HQ to Citibank in lieu of foreclosure*. Though we can write the 25(ish) billion off completely he's poured into this pit, but his greater wealth loss has been the drubbing Tesla stock has taken in the past year. This is a minor debacle for his wealth, which says more about how hosed up late stage capitalism is than anything.

(*Yes I know that's not how it works, shut up, it's a joke.)

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I wonder how secure the massive amount of tracking and user data the site must have is behind Elons brilliant coding skills.

Assuming he hasn't already sold it, it'll be nice to read dril's Dams when the database leaks

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

pixaal posted:

He is this stupid, proof he bought twitter ads for tesla and starlink neither has advertised before.

He panic bought ads just to say he has new companies signing up.

It’s more of a cash transfer from his other businesses to service debt at Twitter. Maybe it’s legal but it’s sad.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

teen witch posted:

British food is so weird

That's why we slop Houses Of Parliament Sauce on everything.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

kw0134 posted:

Musk's exposure to Twitter's losses is already fully baked in. He was going to put up some Tesla stock as collateral but managed to swindle sweettalk a bunch of other entities to take an equity stake too. Of the purchase price, plus fees, roughly 55% was paid by Musk and is owned outright, and the remaining is split between debt held by Twitter and equity owned by others. That debt is already deeply underwater, by the way, though the banks haven't tried to syndicate and offload them off their books the rumor is that there are no potential buyers for more than 60 cents on the dollar for the non-investment grade bonds. Twitter's debt was already junk before Melon took over and, uh, it's not gotten any better. But that's a Twitter problem, not a problem that personally threatens Musk's other wealth.

Musk will still handily be a billionaire even if he mails the keys to Twitter HQ to Citibank in lieu of foreclosure*. Though we can write the 25(ish) billion off completely he's poured into this pit, but his greater wealth loss has been the drubbing Tesla stock has taken in the past year. This is a minor debacle for his wealth, which says more about how hosed up late stage capitalism is than anything.

(*Yes I know that's not how it works, shut up, it's a joke.)

Ah you're right I didn't know he backed out of his Tesla loans and just sold the shares, that's a bummer.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

How much Tesla stock has he thrown into the twitter dumpster? Didn't he cash in a load before the deal on top of a few billion the other day?

His personal liquidity is probably also dented by the crypto crash too

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022

Steadiman posted:

it means testicle in Sanskrit (source Wikipedia)

So he has been Testicle Musk all along, nominative determinism at it again

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Hamelekim posted:

It’s more of a cash transfer from his other businesses to service debt at Twitter. Maybe it’s legal but it’s sad.

What is Space X even going to advertise? Can I buy a rocket? I'm not really seeing a big market for that brand on Twitter

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

jesus watching this guy try to get the approval of others is so sad and pathetic. Imagine being the wealthiest person on earth, you have gone to space, and you own an electric car company that skyrocketed electric cars to the forefront of automobiles, and you still have to lie to people about your interests because you manage to still be that boring of a person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

I said come in! posted:

jesus watching this guy try to get the approval of others is so sad and pathetic. Imagine being the wealthiest person on earth, you have gone to space, and you own an electric car company that skyrocketed electric cars to the forefront of automobiles, and you still have to lie to people about your interests because you manage to still be that boring of a person.

So basically it’s Lucky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vvBAONkYwI