Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

This weeks Malifaux figures. A 2e Asami Tanaka (Keyword Oni) crew.

Asami Tanaka, the crew master and easily my least favourite model in the keyword. Kind of hosed up the skin a little, but half assed a fix and called it because I just wasnt enjoying the model. She looks better from the back. Also in contrast er totem, Amanjaku who has some grumpy old man energy I kind of love.

Ohaguro Bettari, which is based on japanese folklore. In the folklore she has dyed black teeth but I didnt do that because a) it would be invisible at any real distance making it look like she was toothless, b) no-one I could see on google image search had painted her like that, and c) in the folklore she doesnt actually attack people, just scare them and if we're ignoring that part I'm ignoring the tooth thing. I like the figure, got a sort of Pans Labyrinth vibe.

Kamaitachi, or as I think of him, Squiiirrel, and the oni minions, the Yokai.

ETA: I forgot I also took a crew photo!

SiKboy fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Thank god lion rampant is a fun game, i painted these up over the last few weeks before throwing a single dice (brainworms), even losing 2/3 games and it still felt like a cool and good game

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Raphael 8404, stop that, get some help. You're nearly brand new (just done ~5 other models total using it), you shouldn't be splitting in half after a few brush strokes, and you shouldn't be completely resistant to brush soap fixing this. My bloody varnishing brush is in better shape than this and I've abused that poor thing for years. Thanks, random luck of the draw. Moral of the story: even the good manufacturers have bad batches, I guess.

On the plus side, at least this means I'm getting back to painting, even if it's going poorly. And finally understanding the psychology around why it's going poorly (to some degree, anyway, though I don't want to bore the thread).

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

if it starts splitting, try washing it with brush-quality soap. It might take several attempts. But yeah if it doesn't want to keep a tip it's crap.

What's a good brush soap brand? I was looking at the Winsor and Newton cleaner and The Master's cleaner.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lucinice posted:

What's a good brush soap brand? I was looking at the Winsor and Newton cleaner and The Master's cleaner.

both. Really all the fancy named brand stuff from art companies are good. I like the masters cleaner as it's what i found first at michaels when I was starting painting, so I've kept using it out of habit.

The way I like to use this is almost exactly like how this video explains, but also with a twisting(like turning a key) motion where I hold the brush almost parallel to the surface of the brush soap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCWd1TPHZOw&t=539s

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Lucinice posted:

Zote laundry bar soap, it's like $1 at most supermarkets

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Remember when I said I figured out a colour scheme for my Sisters? I lied

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

SkyeAuroline posted:

Raphael 8404, stop that, get some help. You're nearly brand new (just done ~5 other models total using it), you shouldn't be splitting in half after a few brush strokes, and you shouldn't be completely resistant to brush soap fixing this. My bloody varnishing brush is in better shape than this and I've abused that poor thing for years. Thanks, random luck of the draw. Moral of the story: even the good manufacturers have bad batches, I guess.

On the plus side, at least this means I'm getting back to painting, even if it's going poorly. And finally understanding the psychology around why it's going poorly (to some degree, anyway, though I don't want to bore the thread).

This is my 8404 brushes too. I have such bad luck with brushes it makes me wonder wtf I'm doing with them.

Is there some video on brush restoration I can look into? I use masters brush soap every few times, but am getting really sick of maintaining a tip on all my nicest stuff

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Eej posted:

Remember when I said I figured out a colour scheme for my Sisters? I lied

This looks real clean and I like it a lot

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Thanks! It took me 2 years and a lot of meandering across other models to just accept that I like painting white armies.

SkyeAuroline posted:

My brushes only do this when they've started to dry out. If your brush still forms a tip when you dunk it back in water then that's just how long you can paint before your brush dries out.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Lucinice posted:

Anything, it seems.

RosemaryCo support literally said I could use strong laundry detergent or conditioner that you use on your own head.

quote:

I would advise using a strong solution of hair or laundry conditioner to help with those sable brushes, although it is unusual for them to spread so much as you have suggested after only a short period of use. You can leave them overnight soaking in the conditioner, it won't do any harm and will hopefully bring the hairs back to a nice point! As for the model dry brushes, you are correct in thinking just brush soap, something like the masters brush soap is very popular and trusted brand and is sufficient for cleaning off acrylic!

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Eej posted:

Thanks! It took me 2 years and a lot of meandering across other models to just accept that I like painting white armies.

My brushes only do this when they've started to dry out. If your brush still forms a tip when you dunk it back in water then that's just how long you can paint before your brush dries out.

That would make "how long" less than 10 seconds at times. A little limited to work with and definitely not something a quite new brush should be doing.

w00tmonger posted:

This is my 8404 brushes too. I have such bad luck with brushes it makes me wonder wtf I'm doing with them.

Is there some video on brush restoration I can look into? I use masters brush soap every few times, but am getting really sick of maintaining a tip on all my nicest stuff

Yeah, I have no idea why I have a destructive aura for brushes (and paint supplies in general, it seems), but I feel you there.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Made an attempt at doing a cel-shaded/comic-style paint scheme for my MCP Luke Cage. The girder is kind of meh, but I think overall it turned out okay.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
hey guys I want to start posting pictures of my progress in building and painting my kill team but I'm a little concerned about privacy, whats I good way of making sure my phone photos have their metadata wipes so I can share online?

thanks.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Al-Saqr posted:

hey guys I want to start posting pictures of my progress in building and painting my kill team but I'm a little concerned about privacy, whats I good way of making sure my phone photos have their metadata wipes so I can share online?

thanks.

imgur should strip metadata from photos, otherwise put them on a computer first and clear it manually before upload

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You may also be able to disable it in your phone's privacy settings, but there's a lot of variables between manufacturers.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Al-Saqr posted:

thanks.

Others have made good suggestions, but you can also bring the photo up on your computer, then take a screenshot of said photo. Boom, no camera.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Lumpy posted:

Others have made good suggestions, but you can also bring the photo up on your computer, then take a screenshot of said photo. Boom, no camera.

What I do sometimes is copy the image itself into paint, then save as. I think that should be just the image

khazadum
Dec 1, 2006

I AM NOT A MERRY MAN
I actually painted this like, maybe a year ago - but I didn't really have anywhere to share it, so I figured I'd drop it in here. It's one of my favorite paint jobs and busts - and was my 2nd bust I painted, and my 2nd attempt at NMM.

If anyone is curious it's "Hajime, Hanzaki Shinobi" by Cobramode.

----
Also on the subject of brushes, split ends, etc - this is part of why I'm always advocating for Rosemary and Co for my friends. To my knowledge they are handmade, and the ones I've gotten have all been packaged in a way where they showed up absolutely pristine. When you're buying Raphael and others that go through distributors and retailers - that chain of ownership/shipping causes too many issues for my taste.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

khazadum posted:

I actually painted this like, maybe a year ago - but I didn't really have anywhere to share it, so I figured I'd drop it in here. It's one of my favorite paint jobs and busts - and was my 2nd bust I painted, and my 2nd attempt at NMM.

----
Also on the subject of brushes, split ends, etc - this is part of why I'm always advocating for Rosemary and Co for my friends. To my knowledge they are handmade, and the ones I've gotten have all been packaged in a way where they showed up absolutely pristine. When you're buying Raphael and others that go through distributors and retailers - that chain of ownership/shipping causes too many issues for my taste.

wow that rules! great work dude! if there's one tiny comment I could say is that maybe the values of the head and face are too close together? ifs it's intentional great it's just a little hard to focus on the face given how bright everything else around it is, but it's incredible work!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

khazadum posted:

----

Goddamn, that reminds me, I should work on the legally-distinct Galadriel bust I have and completely butcher it while learning how to paint larger scale stuff.

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

It's not a miniature but I think the creative folks in this thread would enjoy my latest work. Copy/paste from the 40k thread.

I have completed my Adeptus Mechanicus robes.

This is the first time I have sewn anything major since my eighth grade home economics class in 1999. The wool is thicker and the entire coat heavier than my Soviet commissar's coat. I wore the robes to the supermarket today as a test run and had to explain the cult of the machine more than once. I think I'll add a strap inside the left breast that hooks to the right in order to keep the robe from bunching up on the closure hooks. All in all I am immensely satisfied with myself.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

thanks.

Use an app to strip the "exif" data from the images

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Al-Saqr posted:

thanks.

I'd recommend not using credit cards, debit cards or utility bills as photograph backdrops, maybe use a plain sheet of paper instead.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I also suggest uploading pictures by putting them in a briefcase and leaving them at a bench in a park or putting a roll of microfilm in a cigarette lighter that you then give to a dude in a trenchcoat who comes up to you at the bus station and asks you for a light

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

This week I learned that the AK standard density plastic cement does not work for sprue goo because it turns like this after a couple of minutes, even after stirring vigorously.
It worked, as you might see on the right side but definitely a hassle to deal with and I'm glad those joints are going to be covered with greenstuff fur.

Yes I know AK's rep, it was the only plastic glue that isn't Citadel that the LGS had after I discovered my pot of Humbrol had finally given up the ghost.

Now I just need to figure out how to dispose of it safely.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Use an app to strip the "exif" data from the images

Easy way to do that without running it through an app/program to remove the metadata is to just take a screencap of the image.

A little hokey, but it works.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

SiKboy posted:

I'd recommend not using credit cards, debit cards or utility bills as photograph backdrops, maybe use a plain sheet of paper instead.

would a social security card do? I think my units would look dashing next to it and my birth certificate lol.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I also suggest uploading pictures by putting them in a briefcase and leaving them at a bench in a park or putting a roll of microfilm in a cigarette lighter that you then give to a dude in a trenchcoat who comes up to you at the bus station and asks you for a light

lol sounds good, my best friends are Karl Fuchs and the Rosenbergs so I'll send them the stuff at our next meetup.

thanks for the advice, once I take a couple decent photos I'll post them!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

SiKboy posted:

This is very bad advice, the only fair way to showcase a miniature is using a backdrop of your online banking passwords. How else can we tell that it's really you and not just a faker?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Serperoth posted:

This is very bad advice, the only fair way to showcase a miniature is using a backdrop of your online banking passwords. How else can we tell that it's really you and not just a faker?

Take a picture next to a screen showing your twitter profile, imo. Twitter is the most secure site with robust verification procedures so we can be sure anyone verified by twitter is really who they say they are.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Serperoth posted:

Come one, we've seen so many abc123 backgrounds that this just doesn't work any more.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
I've always found that the denim blue of a social security card really makes the colors pop.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
Does retributor armor spray tend to have the same adherence issues that leadbelcher spray does? Am I better off base coating with a brush?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Do you airbrush folks apply a basecoat using a Citadel base paint or equivalent on your models with your airbrish, or is it simpler to paint that on with a brush?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Star Man posted:

Do you airbrush folks apply a basecoat using a Citadel base paint or equivalent on your models with your airbrish, or is it simpler to paint that on with a brush?
i usually do the main colour of the model with an airbrush and everything else with a paintbrush

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Star Man posted:

I zenithal prime pretty much everything. It goes a hell of a lot quicker spraying than brushing.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Finally getting in to air brushing because I hate rattle can primers and they constantly piss me off. I don't know how much it matters but I've got a Sparmax SP35 airbrush and I am going to be using Valejo white acrylic primer. Will this need a thinning agent, and if so what is good or what works in a pinch? Just tap water or something more specific or nothing at all?

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

bird food bathtub posted:

Finally getting in to air brushing because I hate rattle can primers and they constantly piss me off. I don't know how much it matters but I've got a Sparmax SP35 airbrush and I am going to be using Valejo white acrylic primer. Will this need a thinning agent, and if so what is good or what works in a pinch? Just tap water or something more specific or nothing at all?

Vallejo airbrush thinner is what you’d be after for acrylics in an airbrush, it’s readily available. That being said I don’t think Vallejo primer necessarily needs thinned out the bottle. 🤷‍♀️

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

bird food bathtub posted:

I'm a savage and don't really thin Vallejo primer (Or Model Air, Game Air, or Mecha, for that matter) for the most part, but if I have issues with clogging with a color or it comes out looking a little thick, I just add in a couple drops of Vallejo Airbrush Flow Improver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Neat, I'll probably give it a few sprays and see if it needs flow improver. Ideally not. Then I'll be off figuring out paints since I'm pretty sure it's been a good four or five years since I've been able to do anything in the hobby so mine are probably all shot. And even if they are possibly salvageable I hear there's been a revolutionary new technology of "not a stupid flip top hexagon bottle" in the rest of the world that I'd love to investigate. Dropper bottles just sound fantastic.