Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Looks like Russia bought Ukraine

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1592224557964066817

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
How is the UN gonna enforce that

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I guess you can put a value on human life

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
oh cool, let's do one for Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan, etcetc

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/BulletinAtomic/status/1592216823642132485?t=pW_-XjVF6lG12jUHi-utXg&s=19

quote:

To help us understand Putin’s worldview, Timothy Snyder, a noted Russian historian, has brought to our attention

Ah, okay

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I am kind of surprised China is a straight no on that one.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Maybe we'll find out.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i learned recently that the US made vietnam pay for the bombs that was dropped on them and im still in awe of the level of evil lawyer brain you'd have to be to come up with this poo poo

https://twitter.com/LunaOi_VN/status/1470759871331004416?s=20&t=D-0FZSE6JomiMc7AqhPX3A

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Haven't seen that name in a while lol

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/BulletinAtomic/status/1592216823642132485?t=pW_-XjVF6lG12jUHi-utXg&s=19

quote:

To help us understand Putin’s worldview, Timothy Snyder, a noted Russian historian, has brought to our attention

Ah, okay

this is NOT what i meant when i demanded they release the snyder cut

speng31b
May 8, 2010

lmao

speng31b
May 8, 2010

quoting this again because holy poo poo i read the whole thread and it's hosed up as hell

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

speng31b posted:

quoting this again because holy poo poo i read the whole thread and it's hosed up as hell

yeah it's unsurprising but still an incredible bummer.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

crepeface posted:

i learned recently that the US made vietnam pay for the bombs that was dropped on them and im still in awe of the level of evil lawyer brain you'd have to be to come up with this poo poo

https://twitter.com/LunaOi_VN/status/1470759871331004416?s=20&t=D-0FZSE6JomiMc7AqhPX3A

Don't forget Haiti.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

NeatHeteroDude posted:

yeah it's unsurprising but still an incredible bummer.

its not even that funny the guys name is boneface after all that

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

It’s a UN general assembly resolution. There is no binding enforcement, by design.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

crepeface posted:

oof

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

mlmp08 posted:

It’s a UN general assembly resolution. There is no binding enforcement, by design.

How does a UN resolution "work"? Is it just "we all agree that this should happen" or "we all agree that this is bad"?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

It should be noted that the UN Ambassador from Afghanistan does not represent the current government in Afghanistan. He is an appointee of the fallen Islamic Republic.

The UN Ambassador of the current Islamic Emirate remains unrecognized and unseated.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

crepeface posted:

i learned recently that the US made vietnam pay for the bombs that was dropped on them

I found the part you made up.

The US did force Vietnam to pay back loans taken by the Republic of Vietnam in the 1990s as a stipulation for Vietnam to enter the "normal" economic community, which is exploitative and hosed up, but you can point that out without lying about what the payments were for and saying they were paying for bombs.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

mlmp08 posted:

I found the part you made up.

The US did force Vietnam to pay back loans taken by the Republic of Vietnam in the 1990s as a stipulation for Vietnam to enter the "normal" economic community, which is exploitative and hosed up, but you can point that out without lying about what the payments were for and saying they were paying for bombs.

what were the loans for

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

NeatHeteroDude posted:

How does a UN resolution "work"? Is it just "we all agree that this should happen" or "we all agree that this is bad"?

essentially, yes.

The definition: United Nations resolutions are formal expressions of the opinion or will of United Nations organs.

https://www.un.org/securitycouncil/content/resolutions-0

Typically, the only binding resolutions will originate form the UNSC, which is why veto power for the five permanent members is such a big deal.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
you know what? just gently caress off dipshit. take your disingenuous bullshit and eat a dick

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

crepeface posted:

what were the loans for

Infrastructure products, transportation costs, imports, agriculture, etc.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

crepeface posted:

you know what? just gently caress off dipshit. take your disingenuous bullshit and eat a dick

lmao

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I really have no idea what the un is for

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the in has had some successes I guess like the law of the sea

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
hurrrr ackshully, an itemized receipt with "bombs bombs bombs bombs" was never found. 3 pinochios

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

western good-will is an insanely important strategic asset for the ukrainians to be maintained at almost any cost, though, so i really do think that they'll try to keep reprisal stories as far out of the headlines as possible - even fans can only rationalise this stuff so many times before the saintly image starts falling apart, and at that point it's a problem. is it a big problem? who knows, imo not unless the economic situation among sponsor countries continues to deteriorate

If I'd be inclined to search for a reason for the Russian abandonment of Kherson shortly after doing a referendum in malice as opposed to an aversion to casualties I'd wonder if that wasn't part of the desired outcome.

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Depends. It used to be pretty important when the Non Aligned movement was still around. In the India - Pakistan war over Bangladesh there seems to really have been the expectation that India would have to stop the advance once the UN dropped the resolution. Now it's kind of whatever.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mlmp08 posted:

Infrastructure products, transportation costs, imports, agriculture, etc.

Where did you get this from? Most of the googling I did shows that they agreed to pay back loans, not what loans were used for.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Where did you get this from? Most of the googling I did shows that they agreed to pay back loans, not what loans were used for.

It's what mlmp wants to be true

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lol, it's directly from the US press release but they also mention an ambitious "other commodities".

quote:

Treasury Secretary Robert E. Rubin and VietnameseFinance Minister Nguyen Sinh Hung agreed today that Vietnam willrepay the United States approximately $145 million in economicdebts owed by the former Republic of Vietnam. A downpayment of more than $8.5 million of interest is due within30 days of signing the agreement.

This is a significant step in thenormalization of relations between our countries and theintegration of Vietnam into the international financialcommunity, Secretary Rubin said. The signal sent bythis agreement will be important to the rest of the world inbuilding confidence in Vietnam in a way that will benefit itseconomy. With Vietnam’s continued cooperation in accountingfor American POWs and MIAs, we look forward to working withVietnam as it continues to make progress toward structuralreforms, a market-based economy and regional and global economicintegration.

This agreement, in part, implements themultilateral debt agreement Vietnam reached with the Paris Clubof Western creditor countries in December 1993. As part of theParis Club agreement, Vietnam acknowledged its responsibility forthe economic and social debts of the Republic of Vietnam -- thegovernment in the south prior to April 30, 1975. The Paris Clubagreement called on government creditors to provide formal reliefon overdue debt payments as of year-end 1993.

The bilateral agreement between Vietnam and theUnited States covers the entire amount of economic debtoutstanding to the United States. The loans involved were made bythe United States on concessional terms from 1960-1975 to supportthe development of economic infrastructure and to finance theimportation of agricultural and other commodities by Vietnam. Inaddition, the United States extended about $1 billion in economicgrants during the same period.

Regular payments under the agreement will beginin July and extend until the year 2019.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

AnimeIsTrash posted:

US officials said so!!!!

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

vibes-based international order

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

dumb question: why isn't there more documentation from non-U.S. sources? Like, shouldn't there be competing sources for something like this?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

NeatHeteroDude posted:

dumb question

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

crepeface posted:

hurrrr ackshully, an itemized receipt with "bombs bombs bombs bombs" was never found. 3 pinochios

It's more that I knew Vietnam isn't run by a bunch of dumb pushovers who would agree to pay for American bombs. It would take a tremendous amount of dismissiveness toward the Vietnamese government to believe that was the case.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Military aid was explicitly not part of the agreement, as the Vietnamese government would be loath to accept responsibility for such payments to the South Vietnamese regime, for obvious and good reasons.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...1-9a4ba9f85094/

quote:

Treasury officials regard the terms of the debt accord as concessionary. Under the agreement, Hanoi must make a "down payment" of $8.5 million in interest within the next 30 days but has until 2019 to complete repayment. The agreement obliges Vietnam to absorb debts incurred to finance the construction of roads, rail lines and power plants in South Vietnam, as well as to purchase grain shipments. But it does not cover the more than $1 billion Washington provided to South Vietnam during the war years in direct military assistance.

https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/rr1587

http://www.aparchive.com/metadata/youtube/3685e97bd15b2da2798f9ac96c09a537

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

dieselfruit posted:

vibes-based international order

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

NeatHeteroDude posted:

dumb question: why isn't there more documentation from non-U.S. sources? Like, shouldn't there be competing sources for something like this?

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

NeatHeteroDude posted:

the specific thing people are talking about above or like the war and information in general?