Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Bargearse posted:

How on gods flat earth does he think those flavours will even work in a beer? Maybe sweet basil in a hoppy ale, but even that seems like it’s pushing it.

One of my favorite summer beers is a basil beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Freaquency posted:

That does sound pretty good.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I'm going to lose my full-time remote job by the end of the year.

I still have my part-time remote job.

But I can barely afford life as it is. And my family's health insurance is tied to that job.

I need a new job but have been submitting applications since May and had a few interviews and nothing has panned out. I should have won that loving Powerball.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Cyrano4747 posted:

The thing that kills me is that most of those flavors are doable with mixed drinks.

Want a fruit smoothy that will get you a buzz? It's called a daiquiri and it's pretty great, have one. Want something to taste like a latte or a desert pie and put whipped cream on it? Whisky and Irish cream would both like a word with you, and Kahlua is also on standby.

But mixed drinks are girly is usually the reason. Had a coworker that never had mixed drinks like those before, then at a Christmas party some of the ladies gave him some fruity thing that he thought wasn't very strong. An important lesson was learned that day. Well, next morning at least.

I'm glad that in the winter, even the local supermarkets will start putting out packs of whatever barrel aged stouts.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnM7ThQmgyk

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Thank you.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

kntfkr posted:

I'm going to lose my full-time remote job by the end of the year.

I still have my part-time remote job.

But I can barely afford life as it is. And my family's health insurance is tied to that job.

I need a new job but have been submitting applications since May and had a few interviews and nothing has panned out. I should have won that loving Powerball.

Are they forcing everyone to return to office after telling you you can be 100% remote?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Freaquency posted:

Yeah, but this was probably built from the ground up by an actual brewer. They probably had some drink with basil, considered how it fit within that drink, how it could be incorporated into a beer, etc. I do think experimenting with different adjuncts and ingredients is a good idea, you have to keep it fresh while watching trends, but when it's top down it usually sucks because they're usually very vague or overly specific and just start tacking on a bunch of different random ingredients.

As it stands, I'm really glad I don't work in the kitchen. The head chef wasn't in today so I got a shift meal. Morale is low. Everyone hates working with that guy. The restaurant manager "joked" about me helping in the kitchen since they're short staffed. Lol. No way in hell, dude. I don't have training or interest in that, you aren't gonna pay me extra for that, and even if you were going to I'm not putting myself in close proximity with the head chef because lord knows if he found out about it he'd find some insane reason to throw a tantrum over it and I get enough drama from that dope anyways. I'll just chill out in the brewery.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

The thing that kills me is that most of those flavors are doable with mixed drinks.
Yeah don't get me wrong, most of those flavors would be fine on their own in a beer. I like fruity sours. I like dessert stouts. It's the gimmick of cramming everything into one that bothers me.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

They're doing a first year anniversary event thing on Friday. As usual the restaurant manager has taken a simple idea that could be a good opportunity for sales and made it awkward and removed from any kind of interaction with possible industry accounts.

I guess I'm supposed to do an 8 hour shift where I hang out in the restaurant and go to the tables of people who've ordered the beer and ask them if they have any questions. I don't mind chatting up customers, but 8 hours sounds exhausting and going to different tables to initiate conversations just seems bizarre and awkward to me. It's not the biggest deal but...what?

This place isn't awful but once I've gotten my visa renewed early next year I think it's gonna be time to review my options because this place is going nowhere.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
8 hours? Nah, find/create some other jobs that "can't wait" and duck out for a decent chunk.

It does give you the option of reporting whatever opinions about beer you decide they should have.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

goatface posted:

8 hours? Nah, find/create some other jobs that "can't wait" and duck out for a decent chunk.

It does give you the option of reporting whatever opinions about beer you decide they should have.

Yeah. They did say "When you're free". I need to come up with something. All I can think of is doing a quick inventory for supplies I need to order. I'll probably be able to just sorta gently caress off for a while in the beginning.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Just technobabble them - You gotta check the spec on the end line for the rotary girder because the calibration is 5 microns off, which reversed the polarity of the fermentation reactor.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

There's a beluga in the bright tank, gotta run!

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

At least I've been mostly just surfing the forums on my phone recently, so even if Friday is a pain I'll have the next two days off and I won't have to do it again for a long time. I am looking forward to brewing that biere de Nöel with our supplier.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Bored posted:

Are they forcing everyone to return to office after telling you you can be 100% remote?

No, the company is in Arkansas, the owner is in Portland and I am in NJ. In office isn't possible. The problem is, she just bought another company with a structure similar to ours but they do way more business. Sales are down 40% and she's already laid off the same percentage of her office. I've stayed mostly invisible but my boss says the owner is looking at things a lot more carefully rn and that he (my boss) is applying for jobs, while trying to keep our positions as long as he can.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lmao on Sunday we came in and turned the servers on and they broke, we had to run a line without an AOI, then the entire network crashed midday yesterday while IT was on the phone with as many people as they could find who know about this (you know, COVID and shutting down the plant and all, nobody needs the guys who know how the network works because they built it) and they had to call all the temps off because none of the testers could connect to the network last night. Shut down both SMD lines, just ran wave. Stuff started coming back up after a server reset at 4:45AM, not fully but enough to give a sigh of relief.

I'm still convinced one of the servers has bad memory since this is an intermittent problem that goes away for months then comes back hard for weeks straight, but I'm also an operator so.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

You know it's a bad day at the dick sucking factory when both Suck My Dick lines are down.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

McGavin posted:

You know it's a bad day at the dick sucking factory when both Suck My Dick lines are down.

the accuracy machine vision gets is unparalleled compared to a microscope or a viewing lens, and using a jeweler's loupe is just painful

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Escape From Noise posted:

Yeah. They did say "When you're free". I need to come up with something. All I can think of is doing a quick inventory for supplies I need to order. I'll probably be able to just sorta gently caress off for a while in the beginning.

"I'm overdue to acid-CIP the hot liquor tank and change out all the gaskets in the brewhouse. Plus I need to foam and scrub the floors and clean the outsides of the tanks so the place looks good for the anniversary party!"

Or, "The brewhouse heat exchanger has been slow lately, time for me to take it apart and scrub all the plates individually!" (Note: Wear gloves so you don't shred your hands to ribbons)

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 15, 2022

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

MrQwerty posted:

lmao on Sunday we came in and turned the servers on and they broke, we had to run a line without an AOI, then the entire network crashed

It took me up to here to realize this wasn't still restaurant chat about beer lines or whatever.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

sure, we should do a roaring twenties theme for the holiday party as the country teeters on the precipice of a recession and facism is once again rearing its head

just...perfect, really

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

boar guy posted:

sure, we should do a roaring twenties theme for the holiday party as the country teeters on the precipice of a recession and facism is once again rearing its head

just...perfect, really

Segregation was still a thing in the US in the '20s too, right?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

McGavin posted:

Segregation was still a thing in the US in the '20s too, right?

excuse me, only 103 of our 107 employees are white

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Welcome them in with a big sign that reminds them of their statistically probable relatives who died in the war or of the flu.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

gently caress beer chat, my employer gets samples of wine from all over the world. They only use a bottle or two and leave the rest. The rest end up filling an entire warehouse. Once a year they hold an auction and give out the wine to staff, or frankly whoever the gently caress you nominate they don't really check. This year I nominated my mother because she's kind of centrally placed to distribute it to my family. I ordered 2 boxes for her, however due to a warehousing glitch they literally delivered her enough wine to blockade her out of her own house. She needed to get her whole neighbours family to bail her out and get all the boxes indoors. She called me up kind of bemused and asked why I ordered her 2 entire pallets of wine, and why her entire spare room is now just alcohol storage. Dumb, but also kind of good for once.

The wine varies from $200 bottles of fine wine to $5 bottles of toilet wine, plus anything vaguely grape based so Hungarian Tokaji, unlabelled bottles of Vermouth, 20 year old port, port only suitable for disinfectant purposes. Truly an alcoholic smorgasbord.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
Dumb poo poo your work does - Something Agile-ish

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That sounds like a perfect outcome to me.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

boss: hey whats the difference between these two departments that are named slightly differently?

me: ah, one is for maintenance requests, repairing their hvac for example. the other is for construction and buildouts, like ripping the place apart and refurbishing the entire store

boss: so they're the same?

me: n...no? one is like replacing a spark plug and the other is rebuilding the entire engine.

boss: ok so they're the same

me: yeah absolutely.

THIS MAN IS A VP

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Saw where someone was working on some equipment today. Nice loto, even had the key in the lock so putting it back in service would be a breeze.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
The first shoe has dropped.

We are returning to the office for 3 days a week, and coincidentally, also “offering opportunities” to some people to go work for a different division.

This - despite delivering the best 2 years results working entirely remotely in the last fifteen years !!

So… 1/4 of my team is interviewing entirely outside the company now.

Now we wait for the second shoe - the layoffs in 2q23 that are deffo not in the plan.

they are absolutely in the plan

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010

fresh_cheese posted:

The first shoe has dropped.

We are returning to the office for 3 days a week, and coincidentally, also “offering opportunities” to some people to go work for a different division.

This - despite delivering the best 2 years results working entirely remotely in the last fifteen years !!

So… 1/4 of my team is interviewing entirely outside the company now.

Now we wait for the second shoe - the layoffs in 2q23 that are deffo not in the plan.

they are absolutely in the plan

ya u made a lot of money, but what if u did the same thing with less people, thats even more money!

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

It took me up to here to realize this wasn't still restaurant chat about beer lines or whatever.

Dumb poo poo your work does - kidding, this thread is about IPAs.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Dolemite posted:

Dumb poo poo your work does - kidding, this thread is about IPAs.

Insane Project manager Antics

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Since annual review season is coming up, I'd just like to take this moment to say that the 9-box is the worst employee evaluation method I have encountered. Somehow it manages to simultaneously be too fiddly and detailed, and too low-resolution.

People can't even agree on what each box means. The same box that, to one manager, means "this employee is doing all right but could be even better with some specialized coaching" might mean "this employee is hopeless and I'm insulted to have been saddled with such a piece of poo poo" to another manager. Ditto for "this employee is meeting assigned goals quite well" and "this employee is the most brilliant human being I have ever encountered".

e: And don't even get me loving started on the subtle distinction between performance and potential.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Revoking wfh is a great way to effect voluntary layoffs so that you don't have to pay any of that pesky severance and poo poo. Then you involuntarily lay off the remaining excess head count.

The fact that the first people to jump your sinking ship are usually the people who you want to keep never seems to occur to the people attempting this One Weird Trick.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Since my department went permanently remote work, I've been taking naps in the afternoon most days. At around 4:00 I woke up, claimed a long overdue ticket in our system and sent and email, then went to the supermarket with my wife... only to see into my supervisor looking at cheese in the dairy section, also there before our regular clock off time at 5:00. He looked like he had also just rolled out of bed as his hair was cowlicked to hell and he was wearing pajama pants.

He didn't see us as his back was turned but I quickly told her we had to gtfo, lest we might meet and have to make small talk while we both quietly knew why that last support ticket was sitting in our system unclaimed for 2 hours

Avoiding your bosses like horror movie monsters ftw

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

He'd probably just look at you and you would both nod in agreement, cause you both know that cheating the system is smart

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Jerks: We're rejecting your expense report. You categorized these as 'billable' when they should be 'chargeable'.

Me: What's the difference between billable and chargeable?

Jerks: An expense can't be billable unless it's also chargeable, but if it's not billable it can still be chargeable. If it's neither billable nor chargeable you need to change the client code to 'company', but we haven't implemented that in the system yet. If it's billable and chargeable but shouldn't be included on the invoice, change the company code to 'client'. If it's billable but not chargeable, but you want it on the invoice anyway, contact the billing department.

Me: That doesn't explain the difference. Also, what?

Jerks: Oh look the system is down again thanks for calling try again next week after the helpline gets assigned a new phone number that we won't announce anywhere. Also we won't reimburse these if they're filed past the deadline that ends at noon today. *click*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Buttchocks posted:

Jerks: Oh look the system is down again thanks for calling try again next week after the helpline gets assigned a new phone number that we won't announce anywhere. Also we won't reimburse these if they're filed past the deadline that ends at noon today. *click*

Sounds like someone needs to steal office supplies equal to reimbursement x 3. Also refuse to do any reimbursable travel citing previous unpaid reimbursements.

Update your resume, reimbursement shenanigans is step 2 of 12 on the 'business, our business is being a business! E.G. Sears'.