Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Chemtrailologist posted:

AITA for shaving my son's head and not asking my ex?

"We do not get along and he is high conflict about every little thing I do." hmmm

no, *I* control our kid's hair! ME!

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Bets "He was okay with it when he left" was immediately following "Stop crying about it or (insert punishment here)"?

quote:

INFO: did you threaten to take away your son's tablet if he didn't let you cut his hair?

OP posted:

Yes but because he was throwing a fit and talking back.

Foo Diddley fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Chemtrailologist posted:

AITA for shaving my son's head and not asking my ex?

... Which then prompted him to point to a ridiculous clause in our custody agreement stating that we have joint legal so we must "consult before radically changing children's hairstyles".

She's so awful to deal with that they had to detail in the custody agreement how to handle haircuts?

Also, yeah, the kid is six, almost guaranteed that his initial (upset) feelings about the hair cut were genuine, and now he's just saying what he thinks she wants to hear.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

r/relationships: I don't think shaving a child's hair is considered radically changing hairstyles

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Another person who shouldn't have kids because they fail to understand that they're actually people worthy of respect and dignity.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

deety posted:

Another entry in the "do you even like your spouse" files:

AITA for letting my mother have a copy of the key to our new home despite my wife's objection?

Lol at this guy showing his true colors the first time there's a disagreement about the house. Hopefully he finds out sooner rather than later that in a lot of places, being the only one on the deed doesn't mean he'll keep sole ownership of the house in a divorce, especially given that spoiler.

I have spoilers off so I'm not sure what was spoiled, but was it this part?

quote:

She screamed at me saying that "technically" she did contribute towards the house savings back when she used to pay for our rent and daily expenses while I saved money.

Because I don't think that can be highlighted enough. They BOTH were saving for the house because he just mooched off her for we don't even know how long.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
I'm fully on the shaved train and have been for years, but it's a big choice for a kid that age and in fact would have got me excluded from school until it grew out under 'inappropriate hairstyles'. Weirdly they didn't care about me growing it to below my shoulders, but fades and buzz cuts were Definitely Not On, presumably in case we all turned into horrible little Beckham impersonators or something.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Kit Walker posted:

1-2 inches is too long? Does she want her kid to look like he's ready for the military or something?

Another recruit in the War on Dad

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
well, since she violated the part of the custody agreement that specifically mentions haircuts, she's probably not going to be a problem for the kid much longer. hard to shave the kid's head when you're on supervised or no visits

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

incoherent posted:

Goddamn, why is this leaving children stuff so prevalent? This one has a possible medical reasoning, but "leaving kids in front of houses" posts are really doing some some big numbers in AITA.

I'm kickstarting a drogue parachute that attaches to a onesie, allowing babies to be pitched at relative's houses without having to slow the car.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Fil5000 posted:

Is he the one who poo poo himself at McDonald's

No, that’s Scott Morrison, who can neither confirm nor deny matters relating to what really happened that night in Engadine.

Also on behalf of people named Scott everywhere, I apologise for that man’s existence.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Scotty from Marketing is upper five on my top ten politician nicknames

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I miss the days when Australian politicians were so bland and uninteresting that they never made the news outside this dumb country.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Bargearse posted:

No, that’s Scott Morrison, who can neither confirm nor deny matters relating to what really happened that night in Engadine.

Also on behalf of people named Scott everywhere, I apologise for that man’s existence.

It’s balanced out by the existence and optimism of Scott Cam

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for calling my brother-in-law my husband’s bitch after his comments about my dress?

quote:

My brother-in-law hero worships my husband and if he told him to jump, he would do it no questions asked. It doesn’t usually impact my life but sometimes he’ll make comments if he doesn’t think I’m being a good enough wife.

The recent incident happened because he made a comment about how he was surprised my husband was okay with me wearing the dress I was wearing. I told him I didn’t need his approval and he told me I did because I was his. This isn’t the first time he’s made comments like this so I was pissed off and I said not all of us were my husband’s bitch which pissed him off.

He said my husband needed to put me in my place and I said he should put his bitch in place first. My husband’s cousin saw us arguing and told my husband who made us stop but he’s angry at both of us for behaving like children in public.

AITA?

i like her

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Foo Diddley posted:

here's another rear end in a top hat who won't be seeing her grandchild:

AITA for not allowing my mother to meet her first and only granddaughter due to the way she treats my adopted son?

If this woman is allowed to see her grand-daughter, then this will inevitably lead to her spoiling her, whilst neglecting, and possibly even abusing her other grandchild.

So yeah, it sucks to deny someone access to their grandkids, it is much preferable than allowing one or possibly both of your kids to be abused, (I say both because it also sucks to see grandma shower you with presents whilst making GBS threads on your older brother whom you love), by an arsehole. And make no mistake grandma here is the arsehole.

Good on OP and her husband for drawing that line.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for calling my brother-in-law my husband’s bitch after his comments about my dress?

quote:

I said not all of us were my husband’s bitch which pissed him off.

quote:

My husband’s cousin saw us arguing and told my husband who made us stop but he’s angry at both of us for behaving like children in public.

well

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

If someone tried to tell me I was my husband's property he'd probably kick their rear end

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for telling everyone that my mom got me fired and asking them for money?

quote:

I (18f) had my first real job out of high school. I was working in a warehouse and I was going to apprentice as a parts technician. My dad helped me get the job. My mom hates that I didn't have a girly job.

She would constantly call and even showing up there. I told her to please stop. That my boss didn't like her interruptions of my day. She would stop for a bit and then do it again.

I finally blew my top at her and told her to leave me the F alone at work. She went on Facebook and complained about how I was an ingrate for not wanting to see my mom.

A bunch of people started saying that I was being mean to my mom and that she meant well and that she wasn't hurting me.

Last week she showed up again. She actually tried to come in the back when I would not come out to see her. My boss was done. I was fired.

My dad says he will help me get another job but I am pissed. So I went on Facebook and found every person who had called me mean and that said she wasn't hurting me. I spelled out why I got fired and I asked them to help me out with some money since her actions had cost me my job.

Now all of a sudden they are turning on her calling her overbearing and saying they didn't realize she was jeopardizing my employment. But none have sent any money. I don't really need it. I live with my dad and he says that as long as I'm in school or apprenticing I don't need to pay for anything except my phone.

My mom keeps calling and texting me asking me to stop telling people that she got me fired. And that I'm embarrassing her by asking the people who supported her for money.

I think that I'm in the right for showing everyone who she is. My dad says that he's staying out of it. He said that the way she acts is the reason they got divorced.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Mx. posted:

and that is why you don't give your mom your boss's number

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

I have spoilers off so I'm not sure what was spoiled, but was it this part?

Yep. I think OP would have been the rear end in a top hat anyway for giving a key to someone without his wife's agreement, but his whole "my house, my decision" bullshit is extra stupid since he was only able to get the house because of his wife's financial support.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Foo Diddley posted:

and that is why you don't give your mom your boss's number

I mean the only thing that would have prevented this one is not telling her where she worked.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

I mean the only thing that would have prevented this one is not telling her where she worked.

The boss was a wuss, he should have trespassed her and called the cops to remove her to a nice
padded room.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Parts technicians make good money, mom needs to be disowned.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mx. posted:

My dad says that he's staying out of it. He said that the way she acts is the reason they got divorced.

lmao

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Fiancée‘s parents want her to surrogate for them

quote:

Obligatory remarks:

New account cause my fiancée knows mine

formatting is a mess cause I’m on mobile

Alright, let’s get straight to it. Me (29M) and my fiancée (F28) are childfree by choice. This is important to note. It was a requirement for our relationship ever since we started dating 8 years ago.

Her mother (51F) is very conservative and didn’t take it well she won‘t be getting grandchildren. From what my fiancée told me, her mother is very controlling and manipulative. Now, that she finally came to accept the fact we won’t have children, she proposed to my partner that she would like her to surrogate so she could raise another child and that my fiancée would „owe her this, since she‘ll never experience being a grandmother“.

What bothers me the most is: she is seriously considering it. She asked me to „donate“ with her to her parents, so they get off her back about grandchildren. I told her that while she was free to do with her body whatever she wants, I would not stay with her if she decided to follow through with this.

All of this would be unofficial, there would be no legal adoption involved and I firmly believe it’s a ploy of her mother to pull out last second and force us to raise a child. And even if it isn’t: we would still be the ones legally responsible. And ofc, since MIL isn’t the youngest anymore, who knows what happens if something happens to her?

It hurts me to say this but I‘m not willing to take this risk. And even with my partner having a sperm donation I don’t feel comfortable marrying someone who‘s technically becoming a parent. My fiancée won’t budge and I‘m afraid this is the end of our relationship. She‘s furious that I think her mother is trying to trick us and went to stay with her mother for now. Is there any way to safe this?

TL;DR

Fiancée wants to surrogate for her mother and I see it as a threat to our childfree life. I consider breaking off the relationship if she follows through with this.

:stare:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Mx. posted:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
:ohno:
Run, run far and fast.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for having a "hardass for hire" business? It made my boyfriend uncomfortable when he saw me working?

quote:

So I'm a big car geek, an engineer in the auto industry, and I'm really good at haggling.

I've always seen my female friends who aren't car geeks have people try to rip them off at dealerships. So I started offering to come along to help. And after word got around, loads more people started asking for help.

I decided to start a "hardass for hire" business, where I haggle for you at the car dealership, and any savings off the list price I get you, I get 1/3 of that.

Through all this, I've been in a relationship with my boyfriend Jake. He's never had much to say about my side business, I think he just saw it as something little I did on weekends.

But this month, he was looking to buy a car, and asked me for help.

I did a little groundwork and made sure he got a bank loan in advance, and emailed the dealership asking for a complete fee breakdown.

But at the dealership, it was awkward. During the test drive we stopped off to do an inspection, and the salesman was trying to rush us. I wasn't letting him, till my boyfriend took his side.

So we went back and I went down the inspection checklist item by item to negotiate on each. My boyfriend started being like "That doesn't bother me" so I ended up haggling on less than I would of.

When we went to close out. I said that we'd be going with a bank loan and not their financing, as their rates were higher, and the dealer got pissed off and said his price was assuming financing. It took a kinda heated exchange where I said I'd walk, for him to honor his price.

But when the finance guy came in, he had obviously tacked on more fees to compensate. I took a picture of the fine print that had doubled the fees from what I was quoted by email. I had to threaten to walk again, and post the photo, for him to honor their quote.

All in all, I saved my boyfriend 6 grand. When we got home, I was complaining that that was it; and he was like "What do you mean that was it? you went too far, that was uncomfortable to sit through."

He asked if I was always like that, and I said not always, I'll be polite if they're being fair, but I stop if I'm getting rushed or scammed.

He asked how much I was making. if I'd charged him, it would of been 2 grand. I said it was honestly usually more, after I've gotten into the cash-buyer luxury car market, and I've been making 4 to 8 grand a month.

He was shocked to hear that, because he'd just thought it was a little side hustle, but it was a whole second salary. He said it was kinda hosed up that I was profiting so much off cutting into other people's pay.

I said the margins wouldn't be that big if the dealerships didn't hyperinflate prices when they saw what is usually a lady and her cutesy little female "friend" walking in.

He told me I can't just make everything about sexism, which kinda hurt because I don't?

AITA for my "hardass for hire" business?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mx. posted:

This is a horror movie

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for having a "hardass for hire" business? It made my boyfriend uncomfortable when he saw me working?

Is this just an example of a guy not knowing how to handle a girl being better at something than he is?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Why would you date such a weenie

He literally sided with the guy trying to soak him

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Six grand is worth being a little uncomfortable.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I wish I could have hired her when my mom got loving raked through when she got her new car. I mean she in part brought it on herself, insisting on going to many dealerships to look around, offering the info she wanted to trade in her car too, instead of looking online and the like. She got loving ripped off bad, and got mad at me and my car-knowledge friend because neither of us would spent Labor Day walking around various car lots "just looking."

AITA For Taking Back Our Groceries That My Wife Gave to Her Sister

quote:

My wife (30) wife has a younger sister (28) with four kids. My SIL is a married SAHM and her husband (31) works 35 hours per week. Money is tight for them, but they still go on annual vacations, drive newer cars etc. My wife and I keep separate finances except for a joint credit card and household bill. I also do most of the grocery shopping. This is relevant for later.

A couple years ago, I found out my wife had been buying groceries for my SIL on our joint card (about $150-$200 per month for a few months). She said that her sister had come to her saying they were tight on money and that she needed help feeding their kids. This about a month after they had got back from their most recent vacation in Mexico. I told my wife in no uncertain terms that I am not supporting their family. She argued with me saying that we could more than afford it. I replied that I don’t care if she wanted to support them, but that’s her business. My wife stopped buying them groceries on our joint card after, but I'm sure she told her sister because SIL has been standoffish since.

In the last few months grocery costs have been increasing thanks to inflation. As a cost-saving measure, I bought a whole cow for about $4K (which works out to about $9/lb and will last us more than a year) and my wife and I split the cost.

Yesterday I went to the freezer to pull some steaks and saw the amount of beef was visibly lower. I checked our security cameras and saw my wife leaving the house with a big box. I texted her demanding to know if she had taken a bunch of our meat to SIL, and she replied yes. I grabbed SIL’s keys (we have a copy), drove to their house, knocked on her door and when SIL answered I told her that and I was taking back what my wife brought over.

SIL protested saying I was taking food out of her kids mouths, but I said I don’t care. She already had one roast in the oven, I went to their freezer and they had about 40-50lbs of ground beef, steaks, and roasts from our cow, including a couple prime rib roasts. I grabbed it all except the roast in the oven and drove home. My wife yelled at me saying she couldn’t believe how selfish I was and that SIL called her crying. She also said that she paid for half of it and so she could do whatever she liked with it. I yelled back saying you don’t get to decide to give away anything that we pay for together and said she acted like a sneak thief for doing it behind my back.

My wife is still angry at me and says until I apologize to her sister. return the meat that I took back, and apologize for calling her a thief, she won’t speak to me.

I may be the rear end in a top hat because my wife pays half the groceries.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

Mx. posted:

If he went to the moon, he would not be far enough away from this mess.

He should vasectomy asap.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I want to hire this person's services for when I buy my next car, and I have a perfectly fine (if older) vehicle that I plan to drive until the engine falls out.

Mostly just to see this in action.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA For Taking Back Our Groceries That My Wife Gave to Her Sister

drat talk about a life hack. buying a whole cow! that's got to be a gently caress off ton of meat.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

DeeplyConcerned posted:

drat talk about a life hack. buying a whole cow! that's got to be a gently caress off ton of meat.
My parents did a similar thing, they split the cost of a pig with another of the residents in our apartment building and split the meat between us. Our icebox was *full* of sausage, bacon, and ham for ages. I dont think we would've had enough room for half a drat cow.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The real life hack is cruising rural roads until you hit a deer, then claiming it for meat. Use a crappy old vehicle and you don't even have to bother paying to get the dents hammered out of it!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

manchild posted:

Money is tight for them, but they still go on annual vacations, drive newer cars etc.

My wife and I keep separate finances

In the last few months grocery costs have been increasing thanks to inflation.

I checked our security cameras

I I grabbed SIL’s keys (we have a copy)

I yelled back saying you don’t get to decide to give away anything that we pay for together

she acted like a sneak thief

Hey look at that I got a bingo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DeeplyConcerned posted:

The problem with that is you learn why ground meat is so cheap comparatively: most of a cow isn't good for much else.