Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

also the game is very much largely big outdoor areas. caves are few and far between

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Man gently caress this game

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Have you ever watched a mushroom run?

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

An Actual Princess posted:

also the game is very much largely big outdoor areas. caves are few and far between

Is it like Legends Arceus in that large areas just feel fundamentally flat and empty with maybe some trees randomly plopped in, or did they learn any lessons?

You don't have to respond. I already know the answer.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!
Every couple of years I like to download an emulator and play through pokemon Red/Blue. I played through Sword (after not playing anything between) and enjoyed it, but there sure were a ton of new mechanics and classes that were fun, but hard for me to remember. Is Pokemon Let's Go Eevee going to scratch my itch to go back to childhood nostalgia? Is the plot/map generally similar? I see that the pokedex is the same, so that's nice as well.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.

road potato posted:

Every couple of years I like to download an emulator and play through pokemon Red/Blue. I played through Sword (after not playing anything between) and enjoyed it, but there sure were a ton of new mechanics and classes that were fun, but hard for me to remember. Is Pokemon Let's Go Eevee going to scratch my itch to go back to childhood nostalgia? Is the plot/map generally similar? I see that the pokedex is the same, so that's nice as well.

The map is the same as Red and Blue. The catching mechanic is different- it functions like Pokemon Go (you don't whittle their health down, you just throw balls with the joycon.) You would probably enjoy it if you are OK with the catching.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

What a terrific athlete.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Truly the finest game of our generation.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

The Bee posted:

What a terrific athlete.

Everybody love Toedscool. He is an athletic terrife.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Spanish Manlove posted:

Can you throw berries and sometimes mudballs at pokemon in the wild like in PLA?

Spanish Manlove posted:

Man gently caress this game

E: Safari zone all the time no rules no laws no trainer battles (they are outlaws instead)

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
I am that which lurks in the tall grass.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Caught a shiny Moltres in a Dynamax Adventure!

Naked bird

spinst fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 15, 2022

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

spinst posted:

Caught a shiny Moltres in a Dynamax Raid!

Naked bird

come get some:

Plucky D's fired chicken*

*not a typo

back onto my rant, it's like they took the best idea from PLA: open world, then made a QoL decision to put all travel options onto one single poké-mount (a box Legendary too, woohoo), and then took out the whole fun bit of being able to catch pokemon in the open world via "Safari-zone-like mechanics" as opposed to inside a slow, clunky combat menu with transitions.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Good imo.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

I'll miss my sticky globs while I'm making +Shiny sandwiches from wiglett butts, sure, but don't get me wrong I still aim to enjoy this game and all its weird nuances.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Lux Animus posted:

back onto my rant, it's like they took the best idea from PLA: open world, then made a QoL decision to put all travel options onto one single poké-mount (a box Legendary too, woohoo), and then took out the whole fun bit of being able to catch pokemon in the open world via "Safari-zone-like mechanics" as opposed to inside a slow, clunky combat menu with transitions.
As someone who skipped PLA because all the changes to the catch system sounded like awkward busywork, I'm glad they're not being ported into the main games. (I skipped Let's Go for similar reasons and was similarly glad the capture gimmick was just for them)

I'm probably biased because my ideal amount of interaction with capture mechanics is "press button for immediate catch", though. I don't give a gently caress about lame attempts to make it "engaging ", I just want to catch a drat pokemon and move on with my game.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Haifisch posted:

As someone who skipped PLA because all the changes to the catch system sounded like awkward busywork, I'm glad they're not being ported into the main games. (I skipped Let's Go for similar reasons and was similarly glad the capture gimmick was just for them)

I'm probably biased because my ideal amount of interaction with capture mechanics is "press button for immediate catch", though. I don't give a gently caress about lame attempts to make it "engaging ", I just want to catch a drat pokemon and move on with my game.

Eh I actually found them easier than the main series just because the catch rates were much much higher and it's more engaging than throwing a thousand balls at a legendary hoping it doesn't struggle itself to death.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The catching in PLA is fun and cool but it benefits from being in a spinoff game with different systems and goals. I think it wouldn’t work near as well in a classic Pokémon title.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i am incredibly glad this game isn't really anything like PLA, which i absolutely hated. leave that poo poo in a spinoff series

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

also, i just finished the game. pretty loving rad. ending was really cool, excited to see people play through it!!

this was my final trainer card at the end of the game.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Bleck posted:

Can I catch the giant crab.

All you can get are the fun-size versions

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Haifisch posted:

can just toss one of your pokemon at it to start a fight then just use the pokeball item to catch them with varying success unless you're really underlevel. shits not as bad as you're making it out to be

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The catching in PLA is fun and cool but it benefits from being in a spinoff game with different systems and goals. I think it wouldn’t work near as well in a classic Pokémon title.

I think it depends on implementation. Not gonna lie I liked getting knocked on my rear end by wild pokemon but I know that's not for everyone.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
When I played Arceus, I basically never used the sticky globs or any of that. I just threw pokeballs, and most of the time it worked. I know there's a million items for "this makes you quiet when you walk" and stuff like that. But I forgot most of it even existed for the majority of the game. I had fun with it that way. I only ever had to use anything else for things that required it like the Landorus quests. I probably would have hated the game if I had to stop and actually prepare to catch anything, instead of just catching most things I saw as I went along.

Also the battles were miserable, and everything dies in a hit or 2 anyway, so nothing felt worth fighting.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.

i am incredibly glad this game isn't really anything like PLA, which i absolutely hated. leave that poo poo in a spinoff series

Man, I absolutely loved PLA. I thought it was refreshing as hell and I enjoyed the catching mechanic a lot. At first I was kind of hoping that this game would be more like PLA but it makes sense why it isn't. I just hope they continue the spinoff series and make Legends Celebi or something someday.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Sneaking up behind a Pokémon and clocking it in the back of the head and just catching it in one shot was a fun thing in PLA. I don’t have to fight this giant bear, I can just catch it if I’m sneaky enough. And I was sneaky enough. I did catch a giant Ursaring in one shot and evolved him into an even bigger bear. I love my huge bear.

I am looking forward to seeing more games in the Legends series. I think it would be cool to do one set in the wild wests of North America. Lots of untamed wilderness to explore.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nessa posted:

Sneaking up behind a Pokémon and clocking it in the back of the head and just catching it in one shot was a fun thing in PLA. I don’t have to fight this giant bear, I can just catch it if I’m sneaky enough. And I was sneaky enough. I did catch a giant Ursaring in one shot and evolved him into an even bigger bear. I love my huge bear.

I am looking forward to seeing more games in the Legends series. I think it would be cool to do one set in the wild wests of North America. Lots of untamed wilderness to explore.

Agreed. The clonk of a pokeball colliding from the back is very satisfying.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Hrist posted:

When I played Arceus, I basically never used the sticky globs or any of that. I just threw pokeballs, and most of the time it worked. I know there's a million items for "this makes you quiet when you walk" and stuff like that. But I forgot most of it even existed for the majority of the game. I had fun with it that way. I only ever had to use anything else for things that required it like the Landorus quests. I probably would have hated the game if I had to stop and actually prepare to catch anything, instead of just catching most things I saw as I went along.

Also the battles were miserable, and everything dies in a hit or 2 anyway, so nothing felt worth fighting.

Yeah this was me too. Just pitch a jet ball at the back of its head.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

spinst posted:

Caught a shiny Moltres in a Dynamax Adventure!

Naked bird

drat congrats! Are they doing a legendary bird event, I completely missed that.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Tender Bender posted:

Nah, that's just how Dynamax Adventures goes.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
On the other hand, is it really a Pokemon experience if you never feel the terror of encountering a pokemon with an ability you've never seen before, and suddenly you can't switch out against wobbuffet (for example) and it kills your OP starter in one hit?

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

Nope - just happened to come across naked bird!

Caught a shiny Sandslash this weekend too. :3:

spinst fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 15, 2022

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Two things I didn't like about arceus is the lack of trainer/gym battles and the boss fights where you lob junk and dodge. The open world bits were fun so glad SV seems to keep the better parts of that while having more proper fights.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Vandar posted:

Jynx wasn't meant to be a Mr. Mime counterpart, she was a counterpart to Electabuzz and Magmar, but whoops the whole blackface controversy stopped her from getting a Gen IV evo like they did.

I was going to say "if jynx is meant to go with magmar and electabuzz, why isn't she found in seafoam island" but she is, just only in Japanese blue. That's still weird.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Kind of a shame they didn't introduce a psychic/fairy Jynx evolution this generation to match it.

Re: viability, Joey "pokeaimMD" just did a breakdown of a few of them today and how they'll be benefitting to the changes made from PLA (spoiler: a lot of them are going to be very good)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHDUSD1KWIw
"Hisuian Arcanine now has the ability Rock Head and learns Head Smash"

lets loving go, it's time for my boy to shine

(sincerely hoping there's a way to get h-growlithe without having to wait for pokemon home)

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Nobody let PKMN Trainer Red know, I don't think they could handle the sheer power granted to their special boy

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

also, i just finished the game. pretty loving rad. ending was really cool, excited to see people play through it!!

this was my final trainer card at the end of the game.

18 badges??

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Finally getting to show up that fucker Gary Oak

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

the other two storylines give badges also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

"Hisuian Arcanine now has the ability Rock Head and learns Head Smash"

lets loving go, it's time for my boy to shine

(sincerely hoping there's a way to get h-growlithe without having to wait for pokemon home)

Good to see all our Hisuian pals are being done right this time around. Also found out the egg moves thing is a moot point as they're transferable via picnics. Not pleased at the idea I'll have to completely revamp all my pokemon every time a new game comes out. But it's not as bad as I initially thought it was.