Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Eezee posted:

The argument from Qatari citizens is that those are migrant workers who are there totally voluntarily because they love football and support their favorite teams, since India did not qualify and organized a big parade on social media.

I guess that is not completely impossible? I dont think anyone claimed those were legit tourists instead of migrant workers, whether they are paid to be there or not.

It's absolute bullshit mate hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/tariqpanja/status/1592147541524885504?s=20&t=nxrY-9YFRWf6nrelI5tAxg

the Qatari royal family doesn’t want beer served near uhhhh other concession points and didn’t tell anyone until 2 days ago

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Luigi Thirty posted:

https://twitter.com/tariqpanja/status/1592147541524885504?s=20&t=nxrY-9YFRWf6nrelI5tAxg

the Qatari royal family doesn’t want beer served near uhhhh other concession points and didn’t tell anyone until 2 days ago

Remember this is all so a bunch of lovely bureaucrats could take a few million in bribes (and then go to prison).

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6IuhRsxROM

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

wHo cOuLd HaVe SeEn ThIs CoMiNg

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
These days, if you say you're English, you get arrested and thrown in a England Fans - Qatar shirt

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Butterfly Valley posted:

If actual fans from richer countries like Germany and England can't afford to go why in the hell do you think a bunch of random South Asians could afford it

Also is plastic national supporting actually a thing? Buying shirts is one thing but actually buying tickets and actively supporting the team?

There are a whole lot of rich South Asians even if the overall standard of living is a lot lower. There are after all a whole lot of South Asians! Seems like a weird take that (elite 1%er) South Asians can’t afford to go to the World Cup.

Now granted they probably still are migrant workers dragooned in to “being team x fans.” But the idea that somehow South Asians can’t afford to go to the World Cup is weird.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
No poo poo. The idea was that South Asians wouldn't go to the world cup to play dress-up in other team's colours, not that there's literally no rich people in South Asia.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Butterfly Valley posted:

No poo poo. The idea was that South Asians wouldn't go to the world cup to play dress-up in other team's colours, not that there's literally no rich people in South Asia.

You should probably word your post better!

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
The post I was replying to should have made my meaning obvious and I would be an incredibly stupid mother fucker to think that aren't any rich people amongst countries comprising 25% of the world population so I would have hoped for the benefit of the doubt, even though I am a stupid mother fucker on occasion.

To be explicit though: The suggestion that 1. random plastic fans of European teams exist in large numbers across South Asia and 2. that those fans would be motivated and rich enough to afford the trip to Qatar, when actual fans from those richer countries aren't making the trip in any significant numbers because of financial (amongst many other) reasons, is stupid.

Anyway I'm 99% sure the 'fans' in those now deleted videos were a few thousand poor migrant workers already there who were taken for a work trip to film that poo poo, possibly even the exact same troupe just having their shirts swapped out between takes.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Eezee posted:

The argument from Qatari citizens is that those are migrant workers who are there totally voluntarily because they love football and support their favorite teams, since India did not qualify and organized a big parade on social media.

I guess that is not completely impossible? I dont think anyone claimed those were legit tourists instead of migrant workers, whether they are paid to be there or not.

If we're talking in not completely impossible, they could be subterranean Lizard folks who like to get it on and have a World Cup bash.

The Qatari argument falls more in line with the U.S. Southern plantation owners of 200 years ago that the slaves were "happy, content, well-fed, living the best lives God provided".......

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

Dude you literally said South Asian people can’t afford it. It’s in your post.

Also plastics traveling to support their team happens every World Cup. Qatar is obviously importing people to fill up stadiums but lol at being shocked by the idea that South Asians could afford a four hour flight to watch football.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Dude you literally said South Asian people can’t afford it. It’s in your post.

I was explicitly contrasting random South Asian supposed plastics against actual native fans from the non-South Asian nations and their respective financial ability and motivation to go. I wasn't speaking about every single South Asian ffs

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
sorry to wade into a terrible tangent that should be over, but i just want to add that if they were actual fans from third-party nations there would be people wearing club jerseys of players they like that might be playing

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

elbkaida posted:

Tbf there's probably a whole bunch of plastics for all the big national teams in South Asia and plenty of flights to Qatar from there so if it was easy for them to get tickets because the FAs wouldn't use them all I can see this happening

What's the weather like in Doha?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

To add to this, someone pointed this out, but there isn't a single woman in the parade. There isn't a single club shirt. There isn't a single older style, "throwback" or retro shirt.

You can teach anyone a chant or a song. You can't fake things like "women."

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
I'm glad the Kolkata Reds are getting paid

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Bea Nanner posted:

sorry to wade into a terrible tangent that should be over, but i just want to add that if they were actual fans from third-party nations there would be people wearing club jerseys of players they like that might be playing

As someone who went to Brazil world cup games in Brazil, the "fans" in qatar were far more color and jersey coordinated than anything I saw. Like, I don't know how this is even a discussion anymore. Is the idea that Qatar had just the one model of off-brand Brazil shirt, and so hundreds of people just went with that one?

Pook Good Mook posted:

To add to this, someone pointed this out, but there isn't a single woman in the parade. There isn't a single club shirt. There isn't a single older style, "throwback" or retro shirt.

You can teach anyone a chant or a song. You can't fake things like "women."

No kids either.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Hugo lloris is a bitch

https://theathletic.com/3893534/2022/11/14/hugo-lloris-qatar-world-cup-protest/?amp=1

“If you have to apply pressure, first of all it had to be 10 years ago. Now it’s too late. You have to understand that for players this opportunity happens every four years and you want every chance to succeed. The focus has to be on the field. The rest is for politicians. We are athletes.”

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Vinestalk posted:

Hugo lloris is a bitch

https://theathletic.com/3893534/2022/11/14/hugo-lloris-qatar-world-cup-protest/?amp=1

“If you have to apply pressure, first of all it had to be 10 years ago. Now it’s too late. You have to understand that for players this opportunity happens every four years and you want every chance to succeed. The focus has to be on the field. The rest is for politicians. We are athletes.”

Hugo Lloris is right. It shouldn't be on the players to shoulder the responsibility for this World Cup. It's a professional event for them that they might play in 4 or 5 of max in their career, for a lot of them they're lucky they get this 1. The last time Wales made it was 1958. If you want to get mad at people, start with the ex pros that are going there for pundit money or to put a star face on the tournament in exchange for sacks of cash, the national football associations that decided to take part anyway, the sponsors, kit manufacturers and obviously FIFA for this nakedly blatant product of utter corruption.

I don't give a poo poo that Lisandro Martinez has gone off to play for Brazil at an international tournament. I do give a poo poo that former players like Gary Neville that have waxed lyrical on various political points and the Glazer ownership is not only doing punditry in Qatar, but doing it for Bein Sports. For those not in the know, Bein Sports is owned by Qatar and Neville's business puts him shoulder to shoulder with colleagues such as sacked from Sky in misogynistic disgrace Andy Gray and Richard Keys.

I don't care Maguire's massive head is apparently worth its weight in gold to Gareth "Cowardly Lion" Southgate, I do care that David Beckham is getting wheelbarrows full of cash he doesn't need to to be an ambassador for the tournament.

The players are victims of this tournament not the ones we should be expecting to do something about it now that people in far better positions have failed/not bothered to do so. 10 years ago the national FAs should have turned around and said "gently caress you we're not going if you hold it there" and stood firm. There was little appetite for that though because noted oval office and Qatar shill Platini was head of UEFA at the time and you'd need the big UEFA countries and South Americans to really hold FIFA's feet to the fire.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Vinestalk posted:

Hugo lloris is a bitch

Hugo is right about that.

On the other hand, there are reports that he will refuse to wear the lgbt captain’s armband in Qatar. Nothing I’ve seen in English yet though - something about a responsibility for foreigners to follow local law. He has worn the armband or a similar armband for Premier League games.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

The Kingfish posted:

Hugo is right about that.

On the other hand, there are reports that he will refuse to wear the lgbt captain’s armband in Qatar. Nothing I’ve seen in English yet though - something about a responsibility for foreigners to follow local law. He has worn the armband or a similar armband for Premier League games.

Yeah if the armband thing is true he's guilty of being a bit of a coward because he doesn't want the hassle. The France team are in a funny position though because France have a big hard on for Qatar and the players will get zero loving backing from their FA.

Kane will be fine, by contrast, the English FA are still mad they didn't get our bid through and they've started looking into England "fans" on the rumoured all expenses paid by Qatar trips, in return for reporting on anti Qatar talk/social media posts.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
There's no responsibility on them to tangibly change anything, because everyone is aware they can't. But the idea that a player can't protest something at a sporting event is loving ridiculous.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Vinestalk posted:

There's no responsibility on them to tangibly change anything, because everyone is aware they can't. But the idea that a player can't protest something at a sporting event is loving ridiculous.

See that white guy there not protesting? That's Hugo Lloris. No one is denying that. Hugo Lloris may not be protesting but he's still not wrong, who are you or anyone to demand the players take action or are wrong to choose not to when so many that could've prevented all this simply opted not to do so? Are you, as a presumed football fan, protesting?

Unless Lloris is giving interviews saying he loving loves Qatar and likes the cut of their jib when it comes to politics, I don't give a solitary poo poo how he decides to separate or mix his politics with his professional career.

e: fixed for idiocy

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 15, 2022

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Hugo Lloris is right. It shouldn't be on the players to shoulder the responsibility for this World Cup. It's a professional event for them that they might play in 4 or 5 of max in their career, for a lot of them they're lucky they get this 1. The last time Wales made it was 1958. If you want to get mad at people, start with the ex pros that are going there for pundit money or to put a star face on the tournament in exchange for sacks of cash, the national football associations that decided to take part anyway, the sponsors, kit manufacturers and obviously FIFA for this nakedly blatant product of utter corruption.

I don't give a poo poo that Lisandro Martinez has gone off to play for Brazil at an international tournament. I do give a poo poo that former players like Gary Neville that have waxed lyrical on various political points and the Glazer ownership is not only doing punditry in Qatar, but doing it for Bein Sports. For those not in the know, Bein Sports is owned by Qatar and Neville's business puts him shoulder to shoulder with colleagues such as sacked from Sky in misogynistic disgrace Andy Gray and Richard Keys.

I don't care Maguire's massive head is apparently worth its weight in gold to Gareth "Cowardly Lion" Southgate, I do care that David Beckham is getting wheelbarrows full of cash he doesn't need to to be an ambassador for the tournament.

The players are victims of this tournament not the ones we should be expecting to do something about it now that people in far better positions have failed/not bothered to do so. 10 years ago the national FAs should have turned around and said "gently caress you we're not going if you hold it there" and stood firm. There was little appetite for that though because noted oval office and Qatar shill Platini was head of UEFA at the time and you'd need the big UEFA countries and South Americans to really hold FIFA's feet to the fire.

Platini sold out European football for a cheap natural gas supply for France, but the USA started a proxy war in Syria and the pipeline didn't get built lol

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

See that white guy there not protesting? That's Hugo Lloris. No one is denying that. But he's still not wrong, who are you or anyone to demand the players take action or are wrong to choose not to when so many that could've prevented all this simply opted not to do so? Are you, as a presumed football fan, protesting?

Unless Lloris is giving interviews saying he loving loves Qatar and likes the cut of their jib when it comes to politics, I don't give a solitary poo poo how he decides to separate or mix his politics with his professional career.

The white guy in that picture, Peter Norman, was actually protesting by standing with them during the salute, and he also wore a human rights badge along with the other two. Tommie Smith and John Carlos told him about their plan beforehand and asked him to be there with them.

In the aftermath he became a pariah in Australia and never got sent to the Olympics again, even though he should have qualified.

So no, that guy is not Hugo Lloris.

Zisky fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 15, 2022

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Zisky posted:

The white guy in that picture, Peter Norman, was actually protesting by standing with them during the salute, and he also wore a human rights badge along with the other two.

In the aftermath he became a pariah in Australia and never got sent to the Olympics again, even though he should have qualified.

So no, that guy is not Hugo Lloris.

Ah then that's a big mea culpa for me and thank you for correcting me on that.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

See that white guy there not protesting? That's Hugo Lloris. No one is denying that. But he's still not wrong, who are you or anyone to demand the players take action or are wrong to choose not to when so many that could've prevented all this simply opted not to do so? Are you, as a presumed football fan, protesting?

That white guy not raising his fist vocally supported the other two athletes raising theirs. He didn't raise his because they talked about it before they took the podium.

My issue isn't with Lloris not making his own stand, it's with him voicing a moronic opinion like "leave it to the politicians."

"presumed football fan," lol what's with this dig?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Vinestalk posted:

I remember watching that. Apples and Oranges, OP. It raised a literal shitstorm. Silent Majority 'Murica wanted to do bad things to them. Those 1968 guys, John Carlos and Tommie Smith, they were what you call woke. I guess we'll see if there's any players among the 32 national teams who are what you call woke.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Vinestalk posted:

"presumed football fan," lol what's with this dig?

Wasn't a dig at all, I was setting you up to speak to you as a football fan, as in "I presume going into this dialogue, you are a football fan".

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

I remember watching that. Apples and Oranges, OP. It raised a literal shitstorm. Silent Majority 'Murica wanted to do bad things to them. Those 1968 guys, John Carlos and Tommie Smith, they were what you call woke. I guess we'll see if there's any players among the 32 national teams who are what you call woke.
Also, if I remember correctly the careers of both men doing the black glove salute were effectively ended immediately afterwards. Avery Brundage, a legendary shithead who was head of the Olympics, basically threatened to send an entire swath of the US Olympic Team straight home if they didn't do his bidding and ban Smith & Carlos.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

cagliostr0 posted:

Platini sold out European football for a cheap natural gas supply for France, but the USA started a proxy war in Syria and the pipeline didn't get built lol

owned. french companies did get a shitload of money out of the deal though

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Crazy Ted posted:

Also, if I remember correctly the careers of both men doing the black glove salute were effectively ended immediately afterwards. Avery Brundage, a legendary shithead who was head of the Olympics, basically threatened to send an entire swath of the US Olympic Team straight home if they didn't do his bidding and ban Smith & Carlos.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar boycotted those Olympics for similar reasons and the media destroyed his character and went after him for decades because of it. His career pretty obviously wasn't ended because of it but it definitely obliterated his public image for the rest of his career.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I do care that David Beckham is getting wheelbarrows full of cash he doesn't need to to be an ambassador for the tournament.

Speaking of which, Joe Lycett is a good lad https://benderslikebeckham.com/

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Gary Neville will never recover from this

https://twitter.com/TheIDSmiths/status/1592120376871604226?t=RMgHy3aT50Rgit_siCjSiA&s=19

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Crazy Ted posted:

Oh boy was he that.

IIRC, on top of this, he was instrumental in bringing the Olympics to Berlin in 1936, continuing with the games after the Munich Massacre in 1972 and refused to help Jim Thorpe get his medals back.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Luigi Thirty posted:

They'll probably ban them completely once it's too late for anyone to do anything.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
They’ll be able to track every fan using the official required app so the opportunities for drunken shenanigans seem slim anyway;

https://www.nrk.no/sport/everyone-going-to-the-world-cup-must-have-this-app---experts-are-now-sounding-the-alarm-1.16139267

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Lmao I forgot about the ticket app that requires permission to delete content on your phone and make calls from your device remotely. Just normal app stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

the sex ghost posted:

Lmao I forgot about the ticket app that requires permission to delete content on your phone and make calls from your device remotely. Just normal app stuff

That they made obligatory to go to games AFTER they sold tickets