Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

The repub game plan was always 'tilt the board with the supreme'; an electoral win would have allowed them to move much faster this year, but it only delays things rather then stops them, if certain cases go the way they may.

And the dems are going to be handed multiple hot potatoes over the next two quarters as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

The true victory of the 2022 cycle is that the Dems have just enough of a majority to keep pulling the "just one more, bro" schtick for the next 2 years, which is going to make Apax Investments a lot of money.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

nudejedi posted:

Still waiting for the sweeping changes enacted by The Most Important Election of Our Lives :lol:

There's not going to be any except for Biden appointing a lot of Judges that probably won't have any major impact for a few years.

A tiny Republican margin in the House and a tiny Democratic margin in the Senate means neither side are going to give the other a "big win" before the next election (which is also a Presidential election) or give up something to campaign on.

The judges thing is going to be significant, but only in the long-run.

Hopefully a Supreme Court justice kicks it in the next 2 years and 2 months.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

THS2 posted:

you can say democrats are less bad on both those fronts, which is wrong because they are bankrolled by finance capital and absolutely don't give a poo poo past rhetoric, but even if you believe they are the progressive faction then the democrats are merely a way to shunt energy in a controlled manner, capturing anything remotely leftist, and expending that energy into the work of supporting finance capital and american imperialism

does marxism have a concept of dissipative systems

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Relevant Tangent posted:

there are no leftists in cspam, just cosplaying doomers

any sort of power structure based on solidarity and compassion is going to take a long time to build. If it takes decades or centuries to get there, what's the harm of spending a few years wallowing in despair?

And if your response is to point out the pending disasters, the paths to avert those required intervention decades ago and far more power than anyone posting here could have hoped to muster.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Relevant Tangent posted:

there are no leftists in cspam, just cosplaying doomers

The "unionize your workplace" thread is pretty practically leftist

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

Zodium posted:

Yes

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Can you elaborate

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

Shear Modulus posted:

Can you elaborate

No

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/st...ingawful.com%2F

cool, another 2 years of this

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Well the GOP is going to take the House so it's going to all disappear in a puff of smoke in Jan., and maybe be replaced by a Select Committee on Hunter Biden.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

It's almost time for the Democrats to poo poo the bed on the one issue that kept them from being completely destroyed, abortion, while inventing excuses that persuade nobody.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

There's not going to be any except for Biden appointing a lot of Judges that probably won't have any major impact for a few years.

A tiny Republican margin in the House and a tiny Democratic margin in the Senate means neither side are going to give the other a "big win" before the next election (which is also a Presidential election) or give up something to campaign on.

The judges thing is going to be significant, but only in the long-run.

Hopefully a Supreme Court justice kicks it in the next 2 years and 2 months.

Like loving clockwork.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

please

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Like loving clockwork.

I'd admire their consistency if it weren't so detrimental to society at large.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The Dems are gonna get destroyed in 202.....oh wait

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Zodium posted:

when the spooky science words are appearing outside the trinity of doomthreads I know life is getting more interesting

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

that's just zodium on his systems thinking thing

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
*converting exergy to entropy even more aggressively than before just to spite you*

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

are they not even going to pretend to do something

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

CODChimera posted:

have they ever done that before?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Private Cumshoe posted:

have they ever done that before?

yeah

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

CODChimera posted:

he asked for two more senators AND to keep the house

at best you gave him one more senator

you only get rewards when you deliver, entitled brats

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

fast cars loose anus posted:

he asked for two more senators AND to keep the house

at best you gave him one more senator

you only get rewards when you deliver, entitled brats

They can at least put in the work to prepare the bill such that it is immediately ready to go if/when the Democrats controls the House again.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

CODChimera posted:

no because they found out that not having abortion be legal is better at getting votes than back when it was legal

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Democrats, ascending

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Private Cumshoe posted:

Astronaut and Senator seem like pretty miserable jobs to have to do tbh one you're cramped in a tiny space with your own farts and have to deal with social isolation and well I guess the second one you're pretty much a glorified panhandler

... you're gonna hafta be more specific

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Snipee posted:

They can at least put in the work to prepare the bill such that it is immediately ready to go if/when the Democrats controls the House again.

You’re talking about a group of lawmakers blindsided by a conservative Supreme Court ending legal abortion as promised and planned for by the right wing for decades

so lol no

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

Shear Modulus posted:

that's just zodium on his systems thinking thing

i looked it up and it looked like some kind of science thing. because marxism is the scientific study of political economy it absorbs whatever new scientific thinking is available in much the same way a lot of sociologists, psychologists, and other academics were working in the context of marxism before severe repression in the 50s. though obviously there are plenty of academics across the globe working with marxist theory now. im not an academic and i dont know wtf zodium is talking about from a quick google but if "systems thinking" involves systemic study of material conditions, well zodium buddy, have i got an ideology for you

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

THS2 posted:

i looked it up and it looked like some kind of science thing. because marxism is the scientific study of political economy it absorbs whatever new scientific thinking is available in much the same way a lot of sociologists, psychologists, and other academics were working in the context of marxism before severe repression in the 50s. though obviously there are plenty of academics across the globe working with marxist theory now. im not an academic and i dont know wtf zodium is talking about from a quick google but if "systems thinking" involves systemic study of material conditions, well zodium buddy, have i got an ideology for you

Lol

Dissipation is where political economy goes to die

The humanrats are going to be destroyed

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I would say the problem with comtemporary Marxism/Marxist study is that it simply lacks the historical tools to make much forward progress and a lot of that is that the revisionism of the Cold War period has left a firm mark.

Also, at least according to the NYT, the Republicans are seat away from taking control in the House and maybe will have a majority of 2-5 (-ish shrug). The perfect prescription for deadlock.

I find the narrative about all of this pretty interesting. Most liberals are celebrating a "grand victory" over the Republicans, when the GOP will likely still have enough seats to maintain control and block any serious piece of legislation (beyond treaties and judicial appointments.) You would think the guys who were crowing about "the New Deal 2.0" would be upset about all of this even if the election didn't go as poorly as expected.

I think the problem with most predictions is that people constantly hope for what would be the "best case scenario" for the American people (at least in their minds) but the reality is going to end up being what is the absolute worse/most cynical result. In this case, it is the perfect setup for more foreign adventurism and eventually a "grand" budget compromise.

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

Car Hater posted:

Lol

Dissipation is where political economy goes to die

The humanrats are going to be destroyed

can you explain what dissipation means but without being some kind of malthusian doomer or whatever "humanrats are going to be destroyed" means

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

Ardennes posted:

I would say the problem with comtemporary Marxism/Marxist study is that it simply lacks the historical tools to make much forward progress and a lot of that is that the revisionism of the Cold War period has left a firm mark.

i agree that western marxist study fails to make forward progress, because its stuck in the cold
war and because of racism against china

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

THS2 posted:

can you explain what dissipation means but without being some kind of malthusian doomer or whatever "humanrats are going to be destroyed" means

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

THS2 posted:

i agree that western marxist study fails to make forward progress, because its stuck in the cold
war and because of racism against china

I think it is more that Western Marxists specifically are caught between loyalty to the West and the necessity of the rise of the global south to shift the needle. It is why they usually twist themselves into knots because while perhaps China has a way to go, you can't really say they aren't doing anything either both domestically or internationally.

I think the racism as one comes from fear that there is a dilemma at hand between their personal wants (to be a Western middle-class person with a comfortable standard of living) and what will have to happen for their personal ideology to work.

(Granted, I really wonder a lot of "middle class" academics are thinking at this point considering the rapid fall in material standards in the West. How much loyalty are their starvation wages really worth at this point? It is simply pride?)

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

hosed up

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Democrats have a strong culture of toxic positivity, which is why they are acting like they just won. Republicans love being angry all the time, which is why they are acting like they just got wiped out. In fact this was the closest thing to a draw that is possible. Which is still good for the democrats/bad for the republicans, considering the handicap the party that holds the presidency has in the midterms. But the fact that they are refusing to acknowledge how they hosed up/could have done better isn't a great sign for the democrats going forward. Problem is they may not need to correct course because Republicans seem dead set on making themselves as unlikeable possible. In a functional country this would clear the way for a third party/independent to threaten both parties. But the two party system is so entrenched there is nowhere for energy to go but from one party to the other. Just an eternal race to the bottom.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

Democrats have a strong culture of toxic positivity, which is why they are acting like they just won. Republicans love being angry all the time, which is why they are acting like they just got wiped out. In fact this was the closest thing to a draw that is possible. Which is still good for the democrats/bad for the republicans, considering the handicap the party that holds the presidency has in the midterms. But the fact that they are refusing to acknowledge how they hosed up/could have done better isn't a great sign for the democrats going forward. Problem is they may not need to correct course because Republicans seem dead set on making themselves as unlikeable possible. In a functional country this would clear the way for a third party/independent to threaten both parties. But the two party system is so entrenched there is nowhere for energy to go but from one party to the other. Just an eternal race to the bottom.

Well, the most likely result is simply consensus, once Trump is fully out of the picture, red and blue maga can come together and form some type of super-Reaganism. I feel the Democrats will be far more positive towards a "not-Trump."

Also, the Democrats got rather lucky with senate seats this time around. The Red wave didn't materialized as feared, but the Democrats were also simply helped by raw circumstance. It is everyone forgot that the Senate was naturally a bit of a reach for the Republicans.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Watching professional wrestling and having all the terms and types of storylines spelled out should be a required part of modern education.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Since when were you under the impression it wasn't going to be two more years of trump hysteriia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nix Panicus posted:

Watching professional wrestling and having all the terms and types of storylines spelled out should be a required part of modern education.

“worked shoot” is a very useful term to know for democrats for example