Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

zoux posted:

He was the only dude putting up competitive at bats all four games in the ALCS, he really battled every PA. Seemed like anyway.

e: on the yankees ofc

He's also gonna be a big beneficiary of the shift going away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

according to Bob, he's cooked

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1592310627246440449

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rizzo’s ok? He’s incredibly consistent and he should get a boost from the shift ban but he’s also got back issues and is on the wrong side of 30. So I dunno. Probably depends on what he gets especially in years. He’s definitely looking for one big lazy deal.

One Maryland voter keeping Julio from going unanimous and one Ohio voter keeping it from an Atlanta double award. A proud tradition of writers just being jerks for no reason.

I don’t think Puig is a bad dude for it or anything but drat that’s a lot of bets. You ok, man?

Edit: I did not mean to type “lazy deal”. I don’t know what my phone even autocorrected and what I originally intended but it wasn’t that. I don’t know what that even means.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 15, 2022

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

mcmagic posted:

I hope the Astros start to try to emulate the Yankees more.

Well according to Beltran they won a ring the last time they emulated the Yankees so me too

STAC Goat posted:

Rizzo’s ok? He’s incredibly consistent and he should get a boost from the shift ban but he’s also got back issues and is on the wrong side of 30. So I dunno. Probably depends on what he gets especially in years. He’s definitely looking for one big lazy deal.

I wonder if three years gets it done? That's about the most I'd offer tbh

Or maybe someone talks him into a one year deal with player options so he can try to boost his value with the shift outlawed

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Is 10 sports bets a day a lot? I don't know about these things.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
If you're doing it literally every day? yes, I think that is a lot

even if its just sitting there taking prop bets on fanduel or something if someone I knew was averaging double digits a day I'd be concerned for them, whether it affected their finances or not

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Intruder posted:

I wonder if three years gets it done? That's about the most I'd offer tbh

Or maybe someone talks him into a one year deal with player options so he can try to boost his value with the shift outlawed

I would think three years is the minimum of what he wants. He’s turning down $19m in the qo so I can’t see him wanting a 1 year deal at less with a bunch of options and benchmarks. That sucks and seems like an insult. But of course it all depends on what people are willing to offer. If there’s no one offering a 3/4 year deal at $50/60m or whatever then he might have to take a lovely deal like that. But I’d think he wants security.

fast cars loose anus posted:

If you're doing it literally every day? yes, I think that is a lot

even if its just sitting there taking prop bets on fanduel or something if someone I knew was averaging double digits a day I'd be concerned for them, whether it affected their finances or not

Even assuming he can afford it it still seems like addictive/destructive behavior. Once you’re making an insane number of prop bets or gambling on any sport on I worry it’s a problem. Like any vice it’s probably fine in moderation and gets progressively more concerning as it gets worse.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 15, 2022

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Adley got robbed of a few more first place votes

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

STAC Goat posted:

Even assuming he can afford it it still seems like addictive/destructive behavior. Once you’re making an insane number of prop bets or gambling on any sport on I worry it’s a problem. Like any vice it’s probably fine in moderation and gets progressively more concerning as it gets worse.

It's very much a classic sign of addictive behavior. You don't need to be ruining your life in order to have a gambling addiction.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Some of the further details are amazing, like how he made most of those 899 bets after paying off a gambling debt worth $200,000.

I wonder if this ends his career in Asia too, because Japan and Korea have a long history of organized crime slithering its way into baseball and having someone who's that drat stupid when it comes to illicit gambling has to be risky to have around.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Crazy Ted posted:

I wonder if this ends his career in Asia too, because Japan and Korea have a long history of organized crime slithering its way into baseball and having someone who's that drat stupid when it comes to illicit gambling has to be risky to have around.

The Yakuza used to--and might possibly still--have a heavy influence on the video game industry in Japan, particularly with counterfeiting, so it's not like organized crime is compartmentalized to just sports.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The bigger problem for Puig is that he's plead guilty to a felony with a statutory 5 year prison sentence attached. Even if he avoids jail time as part of his plea bargain I can't imagine South Korea is going to continue to let him stay on whatever visa he has.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Timby posted:

The Yakuza used to--and might possibly still--have a heavy influence on the video game industry in Japan, particularly with counterfeiting, so it's not like organized crime is compartmentalized to just sports.
Well yes I know this, but I was just saying that I can't imagine a guy who's pled guilty to illegal gambling is going to be able to continue playing on a continent that has a history of organized crime and illegal gambling rings affecting the sport that he plays.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sydin posted:

The bigger problem for Puig is that he's plead guilty to a felony with a statutory 5 year prison sentence attached. Even if he avoids jail time as part of his plea bargain I can't imagine South Korea is going to continue to let him stay on whatever visa he has.

I don’t think it takes away from your point about SK revoking his visa, but the DoJ press release says statutory maximum, not minimum for the false statement felony. The press release may be incorrect, but if it’s the statutory maximum that’s how much time he could be in prison, not the minimum time he will be in prison. Big difference.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I think the only people who called Kyle Farnsworth The Professor were people who read The Dugout.

So you agree!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

STAC Goat posted:

One Maryland voter keeping Julio from going unanimous and one Ohio voter keeping it from an Atlanta double award. A proud tradition of writers just being jerks for no reason.

Maryland guy explains his reasoning here:

https://twitter.com/bnicholsonsmith/status/1592309988491497476

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
Ben Nicholson-Smith is a Jays writer/reporter. Not sure where Maryland is coming from.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Gobias Ind. posted:

Ben Nicholson-Smith is a Jays writer/reporter. Not sure where Maryland is coming from.

Baltimore is in Maryland and it was one vote keeping it from being unanimous so it had to be the work of a homer jerk and not a writer with a valid reason in an entirely different market. In other words, Maryland had nothing to do with it other than pretenses

Julio should have won (and rightfully did!) but Adley had a much closer case than people are wanting to admit, imo

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 15, 2022

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I don’t get the obsession with unanimity. Every year people get mad about an award that goes to the player they want to win because one or two voters disagreed. I find it off-putting

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

His reasoning is pretty valid imo, it's not an egregious take.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
There is a good argument for Rutschman actually. They had the same WAR with him playing 20 less games.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah his reasoning is perfectly solid. It's between hard and impossible to quantify "how much did this catcher help or hurt the pitching" because pitchers are already so volatile and you can't run 2022 twice, once with Rutchsman catching and once without. I didn't realize they were basically equal in WAR either.

Kudos to the guy in the replies showing his rear end by basically going "Julio should have won because everyone knows who he is but I've never heard of this Rutschman fellow"

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Where did this narrative that J-Rod has to win and you're a clown if you vote for Rutschman even come from? Just general Twitter groupthink?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

live with fruit posted:

Where did this narrative that J-Rod has to win and you're a clown if you vote for Rutschman even come from? Just general Twitter groupthink?

Rodriguez is a phenomenal athlete who probably got more national coverage than a guy in Baltimore as Seattle competed for the playoffs. dWAR is a bit more vague, isn't it? I feel like Julio's defense is wayyy better than the listed 0.7 after watching some late season M's games; dude covers a ton of ground and just gets to everything. There was a sliding catch in that marathon game against Houston that blew my mind.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Julio’s biggest defensive issue is the throw in. He’s not always on target and missed a bunch of possible put outs.

Still a big surprise, no one thought he’d be even average in CF going into the season.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lotta rookie surprises this year, how highly touted was J-Rod coming in

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

He was the #2 prospect behind Adley Rutschman.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So pretty high!

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

zoux posted:

3rd overall and a legit possible superstar. Was looked at as an average RF with an elite bat and power, average speed and baserunning.

He would've been 2nd or 1st if anyone took him in CF or his speed seriously. Julio's success was a combination of hitting all of the optimistic ceilings of his bat and then blowing past them on his other tools.

e. May have misremebered on his initial ranking.

Penisaurus Sex fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 15, 2022

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Red posted:

There was a sliding catch in that marathon game against Houston that blew my mind.

Doesn't matter, award voting ends before the postseason.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Puig's agent says he is not officially banned from the MLB. Just de facto.

I don't want to deride a man's mental health struggles but "federal interviews triggered my ADHD leading me to lie to authorities" may be a bit of hard sell to a judge.

Oh, if the agent is right that would mean ol Bob's tweet was incorrect again

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 15, 2022

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Didn't realize until now that the Mariners get a draft pick for calling up J-Rod on Opening Day. Kind of cool.

MLBTR posted:

While Rodríguez is surely thrilled to secure Rookie of the Year honors on its own merits, the selection has a tangible effect on the team as well. The new collective bargaining agreement contained measures designed to counteract service time manipulation through the so-called “prospect promotion incentive.” Top-two Rookie of the Year finishers who were Top 100 prospects on at least two preseason lists at Baseball America, ESPN and MLB Pipeline are automatically credited with a full service year. That’s a moot point for Rodríguez, who’d have qualified for a full service year after tallying 172-plus days on the MLB roster regardless. He also signed a massive contract extension midseason that overwrites his path to arbitration and free agency.

The second portion of the PPI does come into effect, though. A team that promotes a player for a full service year who meets the aforementioned prospect criteria and entered the year with less than 60 days of MLB service who subsequently finishes top two in ROY balloting (or top three in Cy Young or MVP voting during their pre-arbitration seasons) earns a bonus draft pick after the first round. Seattle carried Rodríguez on the roster all year, so they’ll collect an extra pick in the 2023 draft in recognition of his achievements.

Rutschman and Kwan check in as runners-up after very strong years in their own right. Baltimore’s catcher hit .254/.362/.445 with 13 home runs in 470 plate appearances. His second-place finish earns him a full year of service time as well.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Puig's agent says he is not officially banned from the MLB. Just de facto.

I don't want to deride a man's mental health struggles but "federal interviews triggered my ADHD leading me to lie to authorities" may be a bit of hard sell to a judge.

Oh, if the agent is right that would mean ol Bob's tweet was incorrect again
No, but “didn’t have counsel nor an interpreter present” might carry some weight. Or at least it ought to.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Timby posted:

Doesn't matter, award voting ends before the postseason.

You're correct, but I'm making the assumption he's been doing that all year

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

The Pussy Boss posted:

Didn't realize until now that the Mariners get a draft pick for calling up J-Rod on Opening Day. Kind of cool.

I keep forgetting this was Kwan's first season because of how good he was this year. Absolutely unreal.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

mcmagic posted:

I hope the Astros start to try to emulate the Yankees more.

the only thing rizzo needs to excel are: championship hearts, winners mindset. thankfully the astros have both. my prediction: superstar performance in 2023.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/1592620038456246272

Cubs acquire player with 80 grade name

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1592624520317505536

Joc is cool and I am OK with him coming back to hit some more dingers

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Monathin posted:

I keep forgetting this was Kwan's first season because of how good he was this year. Absolutely unreal.

Didn't he set some obscene record for making contact?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Pussy Boss posted:

https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1592624520317505536

Joc is cool and I am OK with him coming back to hit some more dingers

Relatedly, Tyler Anderson got 3/30 from the Angels