Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Highlight of the season:

https://twitter.com/everydaysens/status/1592354909428781056?s=46&t=UiKEZ-e_WX5By9BvnAlVDw

Nikita Zaitsev’s dad thinks that a Bruce Garrioch parody account is the real Bruce, calls him a fat loser. Nikita Zaitsev himself slides into that account’s DMs to challenge him to a fistfight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

T-Bone posted:

The Athletic did something for 2005-2016.

This was for outside the first round:

I imagine there would be quite a bit of movement when you start to account for the past three years or so *cough* Jesper Bratt *cough*

This is also like pre Kaprizov tearing up in the NHL and poo poo like that

e: huh I totally forgot the Pens drafted Muzzin and didn't sign him

That framing is incredibly kind to the Leafs because it captures the 2006 draft with Kulemin, Reimer and Stalberg. Since then they have a few roster players from past the first round but in cases like Verhaeghe, Hayes and Durzi they were all traded and developed elsewhere.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Hand Knit posted:

That framing is incredibly kind to the Leafs because it captures the 2006 draft with Kulemin, Reimer and Stalberg. Since then they have a few roster players from past the first round but in cases like Verhaeghe, Hayes and Durzi they were all traded and developed elsewhere.

it's one year off in the other direction for the Rangers. 2004 we had Dubinsky/Callahan in the middle rounds. woulda been #1 with those probably.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Later round picks from the last 3 or 4 drafts are just entering the league right now and almost all the GMs from before that have been fired so it's anyone's guess who's good at it now.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Later round picks from the last 3 or 4 drafts are just entering the league right now and almost all the GMs from before that have been fired so it's anyone's guess who's good at it now.

Yeah, pretty much any team could occupy any of the top 31 spots at this point.

32. Oilers

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
n/v for Nov+Dec is going to be the Blues upcoming 7 game losing streak

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
I knew about Lou trying to be Steinbrenner and making all his players shave their faces, but learned today during the broadcast that he makes them cut their hair too when Gord Miller made a comment about Romanov having to cut off his locks

What an absolute fuckin dinosaur, the sooner he’s gone (replaced by his son lol) the better

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

bub spank posted:

Highlight of the season:

https://twitter.com/everydaysens/status/1592354909428781056?s=46&t=UiKEZ-e_WX5By9BvnAlVDw

Nikita Zaitsev’s dad thinks that a Bruce Garrioch parody account is the real Bruce, calls him a fat loser. Nikita Zaitsev himself slides into that account’s DMs to challenge him to a fistfight.

The real highlight is when the sens use this as justification for terminating the last year of his contract
grats sens fans

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Powershift posted:

Yeah, pretty much any team could occupy any of the top 31 spots at this point.

32. Oilers

Stuart Skinner!!!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Caps reverse retro windbreaker sold out already :negative:

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Durzi wouldn't have counted since it ends 2016. Dermott/Johnsson/Engvall would be the last Leafs on the board.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Interesting to see so many good young tiny men coming in on defense. It's not a big deal on F anymore but teams are definitely getting more comfortable with it on D (especially with everyone seeing the success of Makar).

https://twitter.com/JamesGarrison27/status/1586150173163413504

https://twitter.com/MitchLBrown/status/1592242585942528000

https://twitter.com/MitchLBrown/status/1581041433888575488

https://twitter.com/CBJcenter/status/1583481746393550848

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Hand Knit posted:

I think the real question is not "over a period of time can you hit on some late round dudes" - that's interesting, and it probably helps drive team success, but it doesn't really tell you a ton about the organization.

It's probably more interesting if you did something like look at value provided and consistency over rolling X year periods - if you can consistently get value from late round picks then that shows something. You could also maybe run it by GM and normalize by number of late round picks and or time period somehow.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Matt Murray is listed as the expected starter for tonight.

pseudodragon posted:

Durzi wouldn't have counted since it ends 2016. Dermott/Johnsson/Engvall would be the last Leafs on the board.

Murderer’s row for sure.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Clever of the Leafs to realize the power former Penguins have against the Pens.

e: I think this is his first start in Pittsburgh since being traded. That seems bizarre but I guess he's been hurt/bad since then and has missed his chance until now.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 15, 2022

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Everyone on the team is going high glove

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Pens will chase him with 5 goals in the first period, then go on to win a shootout after tying 6-6

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I know players randomly fall apart all the time but Murray's decline is still weird to me. He was dominant in the AHL, and very good in the NHL for his first two seasons, and then it all went off the rails. But he looked like he was tracking to be if not elite then at least a very good NHL goalie for a long time.

Goaltending is voodoo like that though. Murray is like a modern day Jim Carey. Meteoric rise followed by a precipitous fall.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Everyone on the team is going high glove

Kapanen will miss

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

The Dirty Burger posted:

I knew about Lou trying to be Steinbrenner and making all his players shave their faces, but learned today during the broadcast that he makes them cut their hair too when Gord Miller made a comment about Romanov having to cut off his locks

What an absolute fuckin dinosaur, the sooner he’s gone (replaced by his son lol) the better

"Whaddaya want your hockey playahs to look like out theah? A buncha fuckin HOCKEY PLAYAHS or somethin??"

This is also something I disagree with Lou on very strongly. If I were GM, I would mandate that every player on my roster grow their hair out and sport a full beard. To paraphrase the ancient Spartan philosopher Lycurgus, long hair makes a handsome man that much more comely and an ugly one that much more terrifying.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Not Important posted:

"Whaddaya want your hockey playahs to look like out theah? A buncha fuckin HOCKEY PLAYAHS or somethin??"

This is also something I disagree with Lou on very strongly. If I were GM, I would mandate that every player on my roster grow their hair out and sport a full beard. To paraphrase the ancient Spartan philosopher Lycurgus, long hair makes a handsome man that much more comely and an ugly one that much more terrifying.

I too disagree with Lou, but fall on the side of "it's not your loving head, bald man, so why do you get an opinion of what it looks like". If he doesn't want to grow out his hair, he doesn't have to now and never did. Connecting hair style with other things is straight trash. I don't care how well respected you are, it's not the army.

E: I'm pretty sure he'd have fans in Minnesota throwing things at him for messing with the team having any hockey hair.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Imagine if Lou were still GM in Toronto? Then we’d never see the Iafrate finally making a comeback

And I assume they would have even more 35+ year olds on the roster

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Zaitsev would never have been traded and would be melting down at Steve Persimmons (parody) instead of Bruce Garricock.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Ginette Reno posted:

I know players randomly fall apart all the time but Murray's decline is still weird to me. He was dominant in the AHL, and very good in the NHL for his first two seasons, and then it all went off the rails. But he looked like he was tracking to be if not elite then at least a very good NHL goalie for a long time.

Goaltending is voodoo like that though. Murray is like a modern day Jim Carey. Meteoric rise followed by a precipitous fall.

He seemed to go downhill very fast after his father died. I wonder if it is a mental thing from that. Or all the injuries. Maybe both.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mage_Boy posted:

He seemed to go downhill very fast after his father died. I wonder if it is a mental thing from that. Or all the injuries. Maybe both.

it also felt like once the book was out on how to break him, everyone was picking the corner like they're Alex loving Kovalev
and it seems like the sort of thing a good goalie coach could adjust for but the pens have never been particularly known for those

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

it also felt like once the book was out on how to break him, everyone was picking the corner like they're Alex loving Kovalev
and it seems like the sort of thing a good goalie coach could adjust for but the pens have never been particularly known for those

I mean yeah the book on him is high glove but isn't that the book on every NHL goalie? They all take away the bottom of the ice. You always want to elevate the puck if you can. It's no secret.

That said, yeah Murray's glove is real bad. Maybe it's to such an extent that shooters have abused him because of it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Auston Matthews' hairline looks like if Cousin It was walking through a portal that got closed halfway through.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Auston Matthews' hairline looks like if Cousin It was walking through a portal that got closed halfway through.

such disrespect to a man paying homage to the immortal Master Pain

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

eXXon posted:

Zaitsev would never have been traded and would be melting down at Steve Persimmons (parody) instead of Bruce Garricock.

An underrated part of that story is that Zaitsevs dad clearly thinks it’s the real Garrioch and repeatedly refers to him as a fat gently caress

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

such disrespect to a man paying homage to the immortal Master Pain

"Beware the song about making dreams come true! He scores on you while he plays it!" *breaks down in a coughing fit*

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Concussions and various injuries have slowed him down a little bit and I think he has a shoulder and wrist injury on that glove side which could have hurt his form. The other thing that really seems to have messed with Murray is the pad and jersey changes. Murray is a really really lanky. He is listed at 6'4" and 178lbs. There isn't a lot of meat on that frame which Murray used to be able to cover up with gigantic shoulder pads and he used to have an insanely baggy jersey that managed to catch pucks. I don't believe he is allowed to wear those anymore so there are extra holes in his game that he has to try and cover up which makes the other weaknesses worse.

I could also believe his heart really isn't it anymore, but carrying on through the rest of the contract should see him set for life.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Lol all 3 of the highlighted players for the Oilers are guys (specifically defenseman) they gave up on early in their careers

Oh those Oilers

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Starsfan posted:

Lol all 3 of the highlighted players for the Oilers are guys (specifically defenseman) they gave up on early in their careers

Oh those Oilers

There's a bunch of names that the drafting team either gave up on or even never signed, but the bulk of the list did at least play for the team at least a little. Putting Jared Spurgeon under the Islanders is a bit of a laugh, they never did anything with him, he played 5 years in Spokane (WHL), and he was a training camp pickup for Minnesota. At least they were playing Devon Toews before trading him cheaply (stupidly) to Colorado.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Concussions and various injuries have slowed him down a little bit and I think he has a shoulder and wrist injury on that glove side which could have hurt his form. The other thing that really seems to have messed with Murray is the pad and jersey changes. Murray is a really really lanky. He is listed at 6'4" and 178lbs. There isn't a lot of meat on that frame which Murray used to be able to cover up with gigantic shoulder pads and he used to have an insanely baggy jersey that managed to catch pucks. I don't believe he is allowed to wear those anymore so there are extra holes in his game that he has to try and cover up which makes the other weaknesses worse.

I could also believe his heart really isn't it anymore, but carrying on through the rest of the contract should see him set for life.

I’m not saying goalies have to be jacked freaks, but you can clearly see the correlation between having so little muscle/Kevin Durant legs and constantly being on the IR

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Starsfan posted:

Oh those Oilers

Oilers didn't give up on Marino, he refused to sign with them.

Also I'm pretty sure the only other players that could even make the list are Caleb Jones and Jujhar Khaira lmao

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

T-Bone posted:

Interesting to see so many good young tiny men coming in on defense. It's not a big deal on F anymore but teams are definitely getting more comfortable with it on D (especially with everyone seeing the success of Makar).

https://twitter.com/JamesGarrison27/status/1586150173163413504

https://twitter.com/MitchLBrown/status/1592242585942528000

https://twitter.com/MitchLBrown/status/1581041433888575488

https://twitter.com/CBJcenter/status/1583481746393550848

Makar seems bigger than 5'11 187 lbs, I could have sworn he was like 6'1, I didn't know he and Fox are basically the same size

I still think Fox is a fascinating player and unique in a different way than Makar but I'm incredibly biased as well. You'd think that a guy who's not real big and not a supremely skilled skater wouldn't have the success he does, but I think his edgework and first couple of steps are far far better than people think at first glance, his hands are fantastic but again it's all that the game seems to go slower for him and he does the unexpected and keeps opposing players guessing so well

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
So it has been a bit now, is "desperate" just a Vegas media catch-all term or is it widely used elsewhere in the world of hockey? I seriously never heard the term as much as I have since following VGK and it is treated as a magic word that explains everything which is annoying.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Starsfan posted:

Oh those Oilers
Don't need to draft well outside the first round as long as you keep getting #1 overall picks :colbert:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Levitate posted:

I still think Fox is a fascinating player and unique in a different way than Makar but I'm incredibly biased as well. You'd think that a guy who's not real big and not a supremely skilled skater wouldn't have the success he does, but I think his edgework and first couple of steps are far far better than people think at first glance, his hands are fantastic but again it's all that the game seems to go slower for him and he does the unexpected and keeps opposing players guessing so well

His hockey sense is like S+++ tier. Possibly the best in the league.

But yeah all of these guys are even smaller than Makar, will be interesting to see how they shake out over the coming years.

Albino Squirrel posted:

Don't need to draft well outside the first round as long as you keep getting #1 overall picks :colbert:

or you could do both and lead the league in expected GF/GA :smug: (don't quote this when wheels fall off)

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/mikazibanejads/status/1592551110862307329