Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon

I really liked the card system, but this game required way too much grinding. You can pretty much breeze through 90% of the game aside for one or two bosses, but the endgame has wild difficulty spikes like the battle arena and Dracula's second form. To deal with those you gotta grind forever for card drops and XP, and it's just a slog. I can see why they wanted to readjust the difficulty after Symphony, but they should have made the difficulty more gradual than a huge spike at the very end of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

94) Hotline Miami

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

23. Warioland 4 (Normal mode, all CDs)

)cuppingn hands aroudn mouth) CDS NUTS

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

wario land 4, normal. all cds, all treasures, kissed by a short haired princess.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Fungah! posted:

wario land 4, normal. all cds, all treasures, kissed by a short haired princess.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Aladdin (SNES) - pretty good but it feels like it's missing a stage and needs more bosses. the controls are also kind of weird

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

super metroid, no ice beam, no grapple beam. ive beaten this game maybe 20 times and i still fuckin get lost in maridia

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Frenz posted:

Aladdin (SNES) - pretty good but it feels like it's missing a stage and needs more bosses. the controls are also kind of weird

this is the first game I ever beat. Remember taking it to show and tell at school afterwards lol. Good memories

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Arch Nemesis posted:

this is the first game I ever beat. Remember taking it to show and tell at school afterwards lol. Good memories

Oh man, I wonder what everyone's first ever beaten game was!

For me... I can't be 100% sure, but I'm almost certain it was Croc on PC. I remember I was given it for my birthday the year it came out. Croc 2 (couple years later IIRC) was the first game I'd bought myself, too

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Fungah! posted:

super metroid, no ice beam, no grapple beam. ive beaten this game maybe 20 times and i still fuckin get lost in maridia

super metroid is one of my favorite games of all time, i've played through it probably as many times as you, honestly maybe more. i still get lost in maridia every time.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Fungah! posted:

lol yup

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Major Isoor posted:

For me... I can't be 100% sure, but I'm almost certain it was Croc on PC. I remember I was given it for my birthday the year it came out. Croc 2 (couple years later IIRC) was the first game I'd bought myself, too

i remember mine: mega man 3. hence my sig lol

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

I think for me it's on either super Mario world or super Metroid, or maybe d-force lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Major Isoor posted:

I wish I could remember, it seems like a cool thing to know. If I had to guess, probably super Mario bros. since we had that for a long time before we got more games for the nes. It might have been some random c64 game though, if those even count. A lot of them don't really have an end.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

I have distinct memories of being 5 years old and knowing exactly where all the SMB3 warp whistles were, but I don't think I actually used this knowledge beat the game, I'd just warp to Giant World and laugh at the big goombas and koopas. The first game I beat was either DKC or Yoshi's Island.

edit: my dad was a big gamer when I was a kid so I beat a lot of games in the sense that I would boot up his 'nearly completed' game files and just do the final portion of the game, but I don't count those as they aren't start-to-finish.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Plebian Parasite posted:

edit: my dad was a big gamer when I was a kid so I beat a lot of games in the sense that I would boot up his 'nearly completed' game files and just do the final portion of the game, but I don't count those as they aren't start-to-finish.

Dad-provided SP Version games

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

id beat so many games as a kid theres no way i can remember, i remember how hype i was to beat doom when i was like 5 or 6 and i know thats not the first one. Episode 3 took forever

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

57) West of Loathing

Beat it in one sitting. Couldn't figure out how to finish two of the bigger side quests but it was fun.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i tried to think of the first game i beat and now im really not sure but it was either age of empires 2 or zork: the grand inquisitor lol

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Super Mario Bros. was the first game I beat, followed up by either Trojan or Kung Fu

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

1942 (NES)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I don’t think I actually finsished a game until I was like 12 when I beat DMC 2 on PS2

Thanks Pablo and Sub-Actuality for the great sigs!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

herculon posted:

Super Mario Bros. was the first game I beat, followed up by either Trojan or Kung Fu

SMB was the first game I beat too

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Pretty sure mine was SMB2.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Mine was probably Ys III or Yoshi’s Story.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i can't even remember. part of me wants to say Super Mario Sunshine but it was likelier Pokémon Fire Red

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

I don’t think I actually finsished a game until I was like 12 when I beat DMC 2 on PS2

Dmc deuce is so easy I don’t think we can count it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think mine was the super Mario all stars version of super Mario 2. Either that or Yoshi's island from the same time period, but YI took me like a year to finish

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

But maybe it was Pokemon blue. Tough to say.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In Training posted:

But maybe it was Pokemon blue. Tough to say.

Oh could be this actually.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Pokemon Blue is the first game I specifically remember beating. Super Mario Brothers was the first game I ever played but I don't remember if I beat it or not.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mickey mouse castle of illusion for master system. definitely on easy though

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Zelda 1 was the first game I beat. My grandma filled out the map that came with it and I used that to find all the stuff in the over world. Those secrets are still ingrained in my mind to this day

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Probably an NES game but it’s impossible to know which. Not sure I could have beaten 8-3 when I was 5 so maybe some random rental like Rescue Rangers.

----------------

copy
Jul 26, 2007

first one i remember beating was Guerilla Warfare with my dad. Really fun game and we would just sit down and clear it a lot when i was little. gamer dads ftw

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
probably streets of rage with a sibling. provided we didn't betray each other at the end

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
mario 1 or 3, or sonic 1, more likely sonic 1

----------------

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I borrowed Blue and a Gameboy from my cousin (he let me borrow Yellow later but only once because that’s the one he said I shoved in my rear end) so I would stay up all night naked on the toilet pretending I was making GBS threads to beat that rear end.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

mine was probably kirby’s dream land. i was blown away when i learned there was a secret hard mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i think the first game i beat by myself without cheating might have been mario rpg

e: actually it was probably kirby's dream land