Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Not a fan of the gow2 anymore. 1 was better

i'm heading into the final act and it's starting to feel less like a grand adventure and more like a series of errands, and worse, a series of errands instigated by a very obvious badguy ruse

there's moments of striking creativity in here but it's dragged down by sony-gamification and atreus's general existence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They call him low ki cause he saps all my life energy and interest in playing

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah. The first instance is the worst but the later ones are never great either. He’s the least interesting cast member and you can basically R1 spam through every fight in those segments even on harder difficulty levels.

Thinking about doing those stretches again really puts me off the idea of repeat playthroughs.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Nov 15, 2022

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah. The first instance is the worst but the later ones are never great either. He’s the least interesting cast member and you can basically R1 spam through every fight in those segments even on harder difficulty levels.

Thinking about doing those stretches again really puts me off the idea of repeat playthroughs.

honestly didn't mind the first few instances but it is absolutely starting to wear on me. its just straight up not as fun as Kratos and the more the game forces me to be not kratos the more clear it becomes. not to mention i do not have whatever empathy bone is needed to care about a teenager being whiny whereas a world weary badass stoic grappling with becoming a better man? gently caress yea

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 15, 2022

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Oxxidation posted:

i'm heading into the final act and it's starting to feel less like a grand adventure and more like a series of errands

errands was literally all the first game was, this one just does it way better.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

univbee posted:

Patches can involve having to rebuild/recompile an entire file at times, although the PS5 is supposed to be able to take some shortcuts to this process. For example, with an SSD there's no such thing as data fragmentation; reading X number of blocks is always the same speed no matter where those blocks actually are, it's not slowed down by the blocks not being "adjacent" to each-other. This is also why you can avoid needing duplicates of certain data, which is why PS5 games tend to be smaller than the PS4 equivalents.

I doubt Patches can do any of that stuff. You have to remember he’s a loving liar

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

You should throw some tags in there, brother (in Mimir voice). I know it’ll become an open secret eventually but we may as well try and delay it as much as we can.

I did prefer playing as Atreus until I unlocked more stuff as Kratos - one thing in particular - but now Kratos combat feels fun and fresh to me again

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah I wish I didn’t already know that in Ragnarok you (spoiling what’s being talked about here) get to play as another character. Would’ve been nice to not learn that from just casually reading the thread. I’m not trying to call anyone out about it but yeah.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's harder to put spoilers on things when you hate everything about the game except for using an axe

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Whoops, yeah I'll edit some spoiler tags into mine. I tried to word it vaguely but it's probably possible to puzzle it out.

I had it spoiled by the Digital Foundry video which kind of pissed me off a bit. They showed the reveal of that section in its entirety in their frame rate analysis. I also had the ending twist spoiled by someone in the main thread who claimed it was a spoiler for 6 hours in... and there's no way you get through the game that fast, even if you skip everything optional.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Nov 15, 2022

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

It's harder to put spoilers on things when you hate everything about the game except for using an axe

we're really building a reliable roster of posters who come to this thread to hate every game

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I dont even like the axe that much but punching is very good. I love the L1 special move in Spartan Rage mode.

Also did they take out barehanded stun grabs from Ragnarok because I remember 2018 had stuff like Kratos ripping dudes in half.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Weird how much of hate boner some people seem to have for Ragnarok seems like a good game so far.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sometimes you do a stun grab with the weapon you have equipped and other times it forcibly changes you to a different weapon, usually it’s the big monster type things like the ogres which have a fixed weapon kill and anything roughly humanoid is more varied.

There’s also the traveller/captain enemies where you disarm them and do it with their own weapons which own.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

veni veni veni posted:

Weird how much of hate boner some people seem to have for Ragnarok seems like a good game so far.

Who was that one guy who hated GoW2018 so much that it was like the only thing they ever posted about?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Who was that one guy who hated GoW2018 so much that it was like the only thing they ever posted about?

Pablo.

He quit the thread over it lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

He died of sadness when the sequel trailer dropped :rip:

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
The further I’m getting in Raggierooks the more I’m liking it. I have a feeling I’m more than half way through. After the first hour till what I assume is the end of the first third though does really drag - but I’d ask people to just try and blast through it that if it’s turning you off

I have had one absolute end game character thing spoiled by a YouTube thumbnail - apparently Tyr is not real? I am going to assume it’s Odin or Surtur in disguise or something. And it’s not exactly surprising that one (or more) characters might betray you - but I have no idea how or where it fits into the story so at least it’s not a huge downer.

Others are complaining about this feeling like two games smashed together but I’d much prefer that than having to wait another two and a half years to see what happens after you kill the big boss grumblehag of realm disruption or whatever

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looking up where Pablo went sent me into the imp zone

which looks like a terrible subforum so I ducked out

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But now I know I can just tell the whiny “want to poo poo on every game” people to go back 2 imp zone, which is better than sending them to the deserves-better Xbox thread

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I don’t get how people are feeling like it’s two games smushed together, at least from a narrative perspective. Tonally maybe, since there’s some wild whiplash that I also wasn’t personally a huge fan of but not to the degree that I wanted the game to be shorter to get rid of it (outside of the one segment that virtually everyone has said went on way too long).

There’s not really a point in the story where you could reasonably say “this would make for a satisfying conclusion, and then the rest of the story can be another game”, it would need some serious reworking to even begin to split it up like that and if they hadn’t mentioned in the marketing of it that they’d thought about a trilogy or however they put it I doubt anyone would be saying otherwise.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

But now I know I can just tell the whiny “want to poo poo on every game” people to go back 2 imp zone, which is better than sending them to the deserves-better Xbox thread

Insane opinion

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Escobarbarian posted:

i thought Imp zone was for people that liked video games, sounds like a bad fit

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

I dont even like the axe that much but punching is very good. I love the L1 special move in Spartan Rage mode.

Also did they take out barehanded stun grabs from Ragnarok because I remember 2018 had stuff like Kratos ripping dudes in half.

Every enemy had one way to be stun killed, it doesn't matter how you did it. The ice draugr always get gut punched and then their heads stomped in, you tear the normal ones in half, the wulvers have their jaws torn down their body, etc.

Executioner's Cleaving someone at low health would chop them in half but I think that was it, I don't remember there being anything for the blades vs the axe vs fists.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Nov 15, 2022

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

the failbrain goon venn diagram of those two destinations is almost a perfect circle

well you know where to go then

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Xbox Series X is a good console! It deserves a good thread! The Vampire Survivors discussion has been really good in there.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I still regret playing ragnarok on give me a challenge or whatever because it's too easy. At least I have a reason to replay on gmgow.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah I wish I didn’t already know that in Ragnarok you (spoiling what’s being talked about here) get to play as another character. Would’ve been nice to not learn that from just casually reading the thread. I’m not trying to call anyone out about it but yeah.

The game is rated M for mature so idk how you could play it and have this feeling simultaneously

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Real hurthling! posted:

The game is rated M for mature so idk how you could play it and have this feeling simultaneously

Adults enjoy little surprises.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Opening up a dove chocolate...the wrapper says aerith dies

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

she WHAT!?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Aeris died but I have a good feeling about this new Aerith character in the remake.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Macaluso posted:

I am absolutely gobsmacked at how Ragnarok was able to pull of a thing the first game did a second time, have it WORK, and also make the moment around it emotional. Getting a NEW WEAPON, there is no way that should work a second time, but it feels loving awesome to use, is directly tied to Kratos as a Spartan, you get an awesome sequence where you get to try out the weapon just like the first game, and the scene between him and Brok where he has Brok bless the spear was very sweet, especially tying in the message of "it's the nature of it that's important". I'm just in awe.

Yeah this loving ruled.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I just went to Asgard (or, Asgard-for-the-first-time, I dunno) and Odin's delivery of "Hey, I got some places to be" just knocked me flat.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

That whole section was awesome storytelling.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I enjoyed the hell out of Ragnarok especially since I happened to finally play God of War through to the end just a week prior, it's easily my Game of the Year. That said, I can't outright disagree with anything mentioned in this thread. I'm terrible at the game and played most of it on "Give me Balance" difficulty but somewhat late in the game I was starting to die a lot and brought the difficulty down a notch and then another notch close to the end. I will say that the optional bosses even on the easiest difficulty are hard as hell, though. Not sure how they compare to the ones in the first game because I haven't done those yet, but these ones I needed to be fully stacked including a secret set of high defense armor and fully leveling (where possible) it and the weapons.

As mentioned by others, I question the replayability of the game, given how drat long it is and how long certain sections of it are.

I will say one thing that all of Sony's narrative-driven games like this need is a sort of "speedrun" mode which unlocks when you've beaten the game once and lets you play in a way that skips all the cutscenes and "downtime". To use another game series as an example, Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy both have trophies tied to getting through them on Crushing difficulty, but the difficulty outright doesn't matter for significant chunks of the game (any time you're travelling or solving puzzles), including some entire chapters. Same with The Last of Us, if you wanted to "beat the game" on Survival (trophy on PS3 and PS4) you have to replay the prologue chapter. The difficulty you beat it on matters even though there's no combat or anything in that chapter.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Looking up where Pablo went sent me into the imp zone

which looks like a terrible subforum so I ducked out

I thought the imp zone was an fyad-lite for unfunny computer touchers, which might make sense why that guy would post there

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

fridge corn posted:

I thought the imp zone was an fyad-lite for unfunny computer touchers

No that's yospos

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

haveblue posted:

No that's yospos

Isnt the imp zone in yospos? Or adjacent to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Looking forward to playing Ragnarok when it goes down from $90 CAD. Thankfully the channels given to me on youtube are not the kind that would be like "GoW Ragnarok LP 2: Kratos eats Atreus?!???"