Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Getting out of pool 2 has been an absolute slog. Finally did it and my first pool 3 card is...rhino :negative:

Also finally got up to CL40 after going nowhere in the 30s all weekend. Between seriously bad rng (seriously had more than half my kazoo games ruined by drawing all my 4+ cards first and never getting ebony maw until t4) or bad locations (had a game that was straight death's domain -> negative zone -> sewer system) or bullshit plays by opponents (everyone else had at least 2 pool 3 cards to my...none) or enemies retreating the second I snapped (had one opponent retreat before the Killmonger animation even finished), it was a really bad weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Are the Fast Upgrades in the shop worth buying?

No, never. They save you boosters (very plentiful and in almost infinite supply) and cost more credits (gated by time and money)

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

RevKrule posted:

Getting out of pool 2 has been an absolute slog. Finally did it and my first pool 3 card is...rhino :negative:

Also finally got up to CL40 after going nowhere in the 30s all weekend. Between seriously bad rng (seriously had more than half my kazoo games ruined by drawing all my 4+ cards first and never getting ebony maw until t4) or bad locations (had a game that was straight death's domain -> negative zone -> sewer system) or bullshit plays by opponents (everyone else had at least 2 pool 3 cards to my...none) or enemies retreating the second I snapped (had one opponent retreat before the Killmonger animation even finished), it was a really bad weekend.

Rhino is a pool 2 card, so don't despair yet.

edit: Pool 3 starts at CL486

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Ok, looks like he's my very last pool 2 card which is good since he's absolutely terrible (the absolute worst 3 energy location ruiner possible).

Are pool 3 cards only available every 12 levels? That's a steep loving climb for a card. I liked pool 1/2 where you could at least get a few cards for 8 before it ramped up to 12.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

RevKrule posted:

Ok, looks like he's my very last pool 2 card which is good since he's absolutely terrible (the absolute worst 3 energy location ruiner possible).

Are pool 3 cards only available every 12 levels? That's a steep loving climb for a card. I liked pool 1/2 where you could at least get a few cards for 8 before it ramped up to 12.

There's a chance of getting a Pool 3 card every 12 levels.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

RevKrule posted:

50% chance of getting one from the caches. After CL1000 it goes down to 25%

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

goferchan posted:

50% chance of getting one from the caches. After CL1000 it goes down to 25%

:psyduck:

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Just pulled Beast and Falcon, what's a good bounce deck look like?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Ehhh I wish it were faster but it's not that bad. You have a lot of cards at that point and a single new one can be pretty impactful. It's hard to make an apples-to-apples comparison with the small decks, the lack of duplicates, etc. but I'd say compared to other popular digital TCGs like Hearthstone or Magic: Arena it's about the same f2p pace of "how often will I open a new card that lets me improve my deck or build a new one?" -- someone did the math and once you're at the 25% rate it's like 2 new cards a week.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

goferchan posted:

Ehhh I wish it were faster but it's not that bad. You have a lot of cards at that point and a single new one can be pretty impactful. It's hard to make an apples-to-apples comparison with the small decks, the lack of duplicates, etc. but I'd say compared to other popular digital TCGs like Hearthstone or Magic: Arena it's about the same f2p pace of "how often will I open a new card that lets me improve my deck or build a new one?" -- someone did the math and once you're at the 25% rate it's like 2 new cards a week.

Just because people have come to expect poo poo from "trading" card games doesn't mean we should pretend it's not poo poo. It's sad how far companies have lowered the bar for what is expected/demanded of them.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
I don't know what to say, really.

Three minutes of this card game all comes down to now, and then three minutes from now, and then three minutes from then, and three minutes after that.

Now.

Either we cobble together a competitive deck or we're gonne crumble. Location by location, turn by turn, 'til we're finished.

We're in hell right now. 10? 20! Ranks down, believe me. And, we can stay here -- get a few Infinauts from Lockjaw, get Shang'chi'd and Zoned out.

.. Or. we can fight our way back up the ranks. We can climb outta hell one STAT at a time.

Now, I can't do it for you. I'm a person, not a deck. I scroll through my library. I see these Pool 1 and Pool 2 cards and I think, I mean, I made every wrong choice a gimmick deck ankle-deep in Pool 3 can make. I, uh, discarded Hela every game, believe it or not. I ran Quicksilver AND Domino. And lately, I can't even stand the decks I see in my queue.

You know, when you climb a few tiers in Snap! things get taken from you. I mean that's.. part of Snap!

But, you only learn that when you start losing ranks. You find out Snap! is a game of STATS. The margin for error is so small, I mean, one Multiple Man buried, you don't quite make it. One Hela drawn too early, you don't quite make it. One Killmonger with the wrong initiative, on the wrong turn, you don't quite make it.

The STATS we need are everywhere around us. They're in every Guardian, every Ant Man, every Angela.

With THIS deck, we FIGHT for those STATS. With this deck, we establish before the first Snap! and anticipate every card across from us for those STATS. We curve out with our cards for those STATS, because we know when we add up all those STATS, that's gonna make the f'n difference between winning and losing! Between climbin' and droppin!

I'll tell you this: In any game, it's the guy who's willing to play Gamora on turn 6 who's gonna win that inch. And I know if I'm gonna have any cubes anymore, it's because I'm still willin' to Odin a lone Iron Heart on an abandoned lane for those STATS. Because that's what SNAP! is! The STATS IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE!

Now, I can't make you do it. You got to look at the cards in front of you. Look into their eyes! Now I think you're gonna see some cards who will be those stats for you. You're gonna see a card who is going to sit on a -3 location for you, because he knows, when it comes down to it, you're gonna Blue Marvel for him.

That's a DECK, gentlemen!

And either we push out STATS now, as a deck, or we will die as goofy gimmicky turds.

That's SNAP! guys.

That's all it is.

Now.

What are you gonna do?

# (1) The Hood
# (1) Ant Man
# (1) Rocket Raccoon
# (2) Angela
# (2) Star-Lord
# (2) Lizard
# (3) Ironheart
# (3) Mister Fantastic
# (4) Jessica Jones
# (5) Blue Marvel
# (5) Gamora
# (6) Odin

AloePieceOfShit
Jan 26, 2020
I can't tell if Hood is there genuinely or as a troll.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

AloePieceOfShit posted:

I can't tell if Hood is there genuinely or as a troll.

2 energy 4 net power, poop the -2 somewhere you don't want (or where it will be destroyed) and it then becomes 2 energy 6 power.

BING BONG SO SIMPLE

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

Just because people have come to expect poo poo from "trading" card games doesn't mean we should pretend it's not poo poo. It's sad how far companies have lowered the bar for what is expected/demanded of them.

You're really annoying

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Victor Vermis posted:

2 energy 4 net power, poop the -2 somewhere you don't want (or where it will be destroyed) and it then becomes 2 energy 6 power.

BING BONG SO SIMPLE

Also,

The Bar With No Name actually does have a name.

WHOSE HOUSE?

HOOD'S HOUSE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtVFcJiqHSQ

edit: ... Oscorp Tower is also Hood's House

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Isn't Bar with No Name Storm's house if you let her move in?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Quackles posted:

Is this some nerd marvel nonsense? because I'm would interested to hear more.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Quackles posted:

"Ha Ha, Got 'Em!"

.. that's what the Guardians Of The Galaxy say as they steal the welcome mat from Storm's "house" and do sick dolphin kick flips or whatever it is surfers do when The Man says they have 1 turn left before the beach closes.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Shwqa posted:

Is this some nerd marvel nonsense? because I'm would interested to hear more.

Nah, just that Storm erases the location ability, so...

mirror123
Jan 17, 2006
rice barrel
My first pool 3 cards from caches have been:
Baron Mordo
Black Bolt
Nick Fury
Crossbones

I dread opening collector's caches now, so much disappointment.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Hood also thrives at Luke's Bar (when played return to hand),

And Demon THRIVES in Cloning Vats.

.. Hood kinda good?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Gamora punches above her weight relative to the other guardians because it's more obvious where cards are going on turn five or six.

Huh, it literally only just occurred to me that the "if your opponent played in this location" cards are all GOTG.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

My pool 3 cards so far (CL 558) have been Colleen Wing, Beast, Patriot, and Black Bolt. Not the worst, come to think of it. Colleen goes in Discard, apparently Beast can do some fun stuff, and Patriot works with Squirrel Girl and the like right?

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Are the Fast Upgrades in the shop worth buying?

No, never. I did buy a couple going from common to uncommon as a joke, but it's bad value like goferchan said earlier.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Victor Vermis posted:

# (1) The Hood
# (1) Ant Man
# (1) Rocket Raccoon
# (2) Angela
# (2) Star-Lord
# (2) Lizard
# (3) Ironheart
# (3) Mister Fantastic
# (4) Jessica Jones
# (5) Blue Marvel
# (5) Gamora
# (6) Odin

Mission Accomplished, dug back up to Rank 50.

Next 10 games: 6 Wins - 4 Losses. +4 cubes. Not great, not terrible.

Starting out I thought Hood was the cut card,

Now I'm thinkin' its Odin/Iron Heart. Might replace them with left-out big stat friends Strong Guy + Sword Master or Deathlok (Hood cleanup) and Namor (lots of games with an abandoned location).

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

What can you combo in pool 1 to make Strong Guy interesting? Please give me hints,I want to look smart in front of my girlfriend.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

First of May posted:

What can you combo in pool 1 to make Strong Guy interesting? Please give me hints,I want to look smart in front of my girlfriend.

Well, you need your hand to be empty, so either play many small cards, or discard cards. I might recommend the 'play many small cards' approach and then throw in Blade to ensure your hand is empty.

So... a Ka-Zar deck, maybe?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

If you're discarding things in pool 1, you'll probably want Lady Sif. And if you've got Lady Sif, then you probably want Apocalypse for your big turn 6 finisher. But if Apocalypse is getting discarded, buffed and returned to your hand... you're not getting Strong Guy value.

So yeah, lots of 1 drops might be the way to go. Maybe with the Angela and Bishop package.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Nov 15, 2022

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It's less bad than it sounds. Even as F2P if you just do your dailies you get an average 5100 credits a week, which is good for over 100 levels. And that's excluding the free Season Pass benefits and credit/gold rewards from boxes when you whiff on a card. Typically you should be getting a card every day from CL500 to 1000 and every other day after that. For perspective: I bought Season Passes 2 to 5, but with that as my only spend I got 90% of Pool 3 in less than 3 months.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Victor Vermis posted:

I don't know what to say, really.

Three minutes of this card game all comes down to now, and then three minutes from now, and then three minutes from then, and three minutes after that.

Now.

Either we cobble together a competitive deck or we're gonne crumble. Location by location, turn by turn, 'til we're finished.

We're in hell right now. 10? 20! Ranks down, believe me. And, we can stay here -- get a few Infinauts from Lockjaw, get Shang'chi'd and Zoned out.

.. Or. we can fight our way back up the ranks. We can climb outta hell one STAT at a time.

Now, I can't do it for you. I'm a person, not a deck. I scroll through my library. I see these Pool 1 and Pool 2 cards and I think, I mean, I made every wrong choice a gimmick deck ankle-deep in Pool 3 can make. I, uh, discarded Hela every game, believe it or not. I ran Quicksilver AND Domino. And lately, I can't even stand the decks I see in my queue.

You know, when you climb a few tiers in Snap! things get taken from you. I mean that's.. part of Snap!

But, you only learn that when you start losing ranks. You find out Snap! is a game of STATS. The margin for error is so small, I mean, one Multiple Man buried, you don't quite make it. One Hela drawn too early, you don't quite make it. One Killmonger with the wrong initiative, on the wrong turn, you don't quite make it.

The STATS we need are everywhere around us. They're in every Guardian, every Ant Man, every Angela.

With THIS deck, we FIGHT for those STATS. With this deck, we establish before the first Snap! and anticipate every card across from us for those STATS. We curve out with our cards for those STATS, because we know when we add up all those STATS, that's gonna make the f'n difference between winning and losing! Between climbin' and droppin!

I'll tell you this: In any game, it's the guy who's willing to play Gamora on turn 6 who's gonna win that inch. And I know if I'm gonna have any cubes anymore, it's because I'm still willin' to Odin a lone Iron Heart on an abandoned lane for those STATS. Because that's what SNAP! is! The STATS IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE!

Now, I can't make you do it. You got to look at the cards in front of you. Look into their eyes! Now I think you're gonna see some cards who will be those stats for you. You're gonna see a card who is going to sit on a -3 location for you, because he knows, when it comes down to it, you're gonna Blue Marvel for him.

That's a DECK, gentlemen!

And either we push out STATS now, as a deck, or we will die as goofy gimmicky turds.

That's SNAP! guys.

That's all it is.

Now.

What are you gonna do?

really hope this is just a reference to something I'm not getting because otherwise it's giving me horrendous flashbacks of the bad poetry open mics of my youth

Anyway - r.e. card chat, all the pool 3 cards so far feel really situational. Like, they all feel very clever and cool, but the abilities are so much more wet n wild that I feel like you're probably going to just lightly dust your reliable pool 2 deck with something mad from pool 3. I'm probably wrong, and there are some really strong synergies out there. But matching is done by card level right? so if you're at the start of pool 3 you're very unlikely to match against someone with a full deck of pool 3 cards.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

:goofy:

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
When I read that I just assumed OP was drunk and/or high.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I just assumed it was a slightly edited joke post from another thread like mtga or hearthstone haha.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

The Grumbles posted:

really hope this is just a reference to something I'm not getting because otherwise it's giving me horrendous flashbacks of the bad poetry open mics of my youth

Anyway - r.e. card chat, all the pool 3 cards so far feel really situational. Like, they all feel very clever and cool, but the abilities are so much more wet n wild that I feel like you're probably going to just lightly dust your reliable pool 2 deck with something mad from pool 3. I'm probably wrong, and there are some really strong synergies out there. But matching is done by card level right? so if you're at the start of pool 3 you're very unlikely to match against someone with a full deck of pool 3 cards.

Some pool 3 cards are like you mention, small changes to pool 2 decks (Colleen Wing goes very well into Swarm Discard from pool 2 for example), but others can be deck defining, like Cerebro (especially with Mystique), where you pick a power and your cards are all on that power, or Mr Negative.

I got Magik a few minutes ago and she's not someone you can just slot in anywhere.

Matching is done by card level I believe, so I don't think I'd be matched with someone at CL6940

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

stev posted:

Huh, it literally only just occurred to me that the "if your opponent played in this location" cards are all GOTG.

Yeah, I'm curious what strategies are implicit in themed decks.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah, I'm curious what strategies are implicit in themed decks.

Are there any other themes? I can't think of any beyond the GOTG cards I guess all the Iron Man type cards/locations buff power levels, but that's just three cards. You've got the two goblins who fly over and subtract power I guess?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's apparently edited text from an Al Pacino movie. Way too long and no one even knows that speech.

The Grumbles posted:

There are a few exceptions. Sera just isn't a fair card and should be 2 power not 5. Hood is just good. Destroyer is basically functional out of the box. There are other exceptions I'm missing but the majority of pool 3s are looking for other pool 3s to turn them on.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

both aero and mysterio are really powerful cards that can be tossed in all kinds of decks

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

The Grumbles posted:

Are there any other themes? I can't think of any beyond the GOTG cards I guess all the Iron Man type cards/locations buff power levels, but that's just three cards. You've got the two goblins who fly over and subtract power I guess?

There are other Wakanda cards that are meant to buff cards in your hand like Black Panther.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

The Grumbles posted:

Well, there's Thor and Jane Foster Mighty Thor but that's kind of a given. Wolverine+Sabertooth. Venom+Carnage. Wasp+Yellowjacket. Probably others. There's certainly nothing else like GotG where you have the same effect on five different cards.

It's actually surprising to me how different all the spider-peoples' abilities are.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah I'm only halfway through pool one and I just assumed that, say, the Apocalypse cards work together.