Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Bulb reduced mine but they may be in full yolo management mode at the moment so v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Most British injury would either involve a cheese wheel or being murdered by your own vengeful Brythonic shadow.
https://twitter.com/ultrapeakschris/status/1591872052805660672

Thanks for a new fear of being killed by one of these things while out for a dander

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Elon Musk's loving sink joke that he's made three times this year already

https://twitter.com/shaun_vids/status/1467102805769035781

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
British Gas put my DD up this month to repay a debit balance that they created by sending government rebate cash to my bank account last month.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
less rag and bones/horse and cart and more scrap metal/beaten up old transit flatbed, but they still ring a bell and cruise around these parts and if you need an old appliance gone they will be there in minutes

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Elon Musk's loving sink joke that he's made three times this year already
Oh hey it's an actually good political compass
https://twitter.com/AlanRMacLeod/status/1467236508289667080

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Who's that in the bottom left?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Chomsky.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

sebzilla posted:

Who's that in the bottom left?

Chomsky

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Where does Jortson fall on there though, because he's painfully unfunny, obtuse, but also :lol::lol:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Where does Jortson fall on there though, because he's painfully unfunny, obtuse, but also :lol::lol:

He's on the z-axis of cringe

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

doesn’t want to be funny / is funny, except it’s funny weird not funny ha-ha

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

I think he's top left like Dorkins. Because ranting about the shamefulness of drugs before getting hooked on a benzo & nearly dying multiple times before being stuck in a medically induced coma is very funny

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

DesperateDan posted:

less rag and bones/horse and cart and more scrap metal/beaten up old transit flatbed, but they still ring a bell and cruise around these parts and if you need an old appliance gone they will be there in minutes

Theres an auld feller used to have a cart but now has a knackered van does the rounds near mothers house - you can hear him coming a mile off 'RAGT'BOOONNE', but I realised just recently when he drove round the estate something new; all his cries were exactly similar - he's somehow gotten a sample of his shout and is repeat broadcasting it over a PA speaker. Was honestly impressed.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Jeherrin posted:

I know how the DD smoothing works, thanks. I have always, consistently, even with years of giving them meter readings every month, used less than they estimate for my household. I don't know what their metrics are based on (people who don't own sweaters?) but every time they've increased my DD they end up going 'oh wow you have hundreds in credit' by about April and then they put it down again, so this year I was thinking I might just skip the dance.

You may know how the DD smoothing works but you glossed over what serious gaylord said about the unseasonably warm weather combined with the summer months along with another price rise in January. Adding to that there are reports of a possible cold spell coming very soon. Estimates work (in very simple terms) by using readings previously sent combined with your EAC and AQ (yearly estimates sent to your energy company by the industry) and other factors including seasonality changes and price changes. But thanks to climate change, the government's lovely energy policies and uncertainty in the very near future, I'm not surprised they are suggesting putting peoples DDs up.

Also, you only ever see online people complaining that their DDs are being put up when they're in credit so there's a confirmation bias there. You won't see people complaining about their DD being raised if they're already in debt. The vast majority of people never submit readings, never get accurate estimates because of this, and are perpetually in debt, so congrats on being one of the outliers tbh.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The treasury has decided to make an official discord server.

It's going well.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Theres an auld feller used to have a cart but now has a knackered van

Very literal usage here. I sometimes wonder how long this will remain acceptable as an adjective. Probably not so much longer in Ireland, though I use it myself

E: actually it was even a storm in a teacup here in the last week, though the Traveller guest on the show didn't care in the slightest

https://twitter.com/IrishMirror/status/1590008744460652546?t=utYC8ZFUssH1XMQTBuywsg&s=19

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Nov 15, 2022

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/1592164903544315905?s=20&t=CF7OZBimerkY4u34vOgnJw

I wonder how many of these landlords get mad about welfare spongers

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

darkwasthenight posted:

It's a toss between a glancing blow from a badly thrown welly at a village fete, and as a child getting ran over by a rogue Morris dancer going for an outfield cricket ball. Everybody was pissed at the time, obviously, or it wouldn't be a folk tradition.

Does getting an arrow in the ankle from Friar Tuck count? I was Little John in the school play and he was careless. Luckily it was so blunt it bounced off, but sadly that meant the mark faded in a few days.

HopperUK posted:

The ADHD thread in EN will happily host any amount of 'wait you all do that too?' conversation :)

Yeah, I've dipped a toe thanks. It's a new thought and I'm wary of self-diagnosis but oof.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

josh04 posted:

The treasury has decided to make an official discord server.

It's going well.

having fun with some friends

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Guavanaut posted:

BTW the Telegraph has a puff piece about his new university that's going to save civilisation (by teaching the students to read Ancient Greek) if your eyes are in need of a good roll: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education-and-careers/2022/11/14/have-strict-meritocracy-day-inside-jordan-petersons-anti-woke/

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Tesseraction posted:

having fun with some friends

lol, I saw you'd co-signed my pile of poo.

The Liquor Snurf
Jul 22, 2021

I am the Liquor

Reactions aren't going to last long there

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Failed Imagineer posted:

Very literal usage here. I sometimes wonder how long this will remain acceptable as an adjective. Probably not so much longer in Ireland, though I use it myself

E: actually it was even a storm in a teacup here in the last week, though the Traveller guest on the show didn't care in the slightest

Googling didn't really explain what's wrong with the word, I've not seen anyone take issue with it before. Does it have a meaning other than tired/worn out/broken? Aside from killing old horses.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Googling didn't really explain what's wrong with the word, I've not seen anyone take issue with it before. Does it have a meaning other than tired/worn out/broken? Aside from killing old horses.

It's a slur against Irish Travellers, pretty common in Ireland and I guess in some places of the UK (?). Coming from their traditional involvement in knacker's yards.

It's also in standard usage in Ireland where Brits would use "chav" or "Ned" or whatever, basically a metonym for all your standard-issue athletic wear council estate kids.

For clarity, the adjective is not necessarily connected to the slur except indirectly, it's just one of those words that kind of hits the ear wrong now like "niggardly". The Traveller community themselves are mixed on whether the adjective is bad, but the noun is 100% a bad slur

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Funny the things we use as an insult. "You there, you loving Horse Slayer"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

One of the first results I got on Google is 'is knackered an insult?" so I'm just excited to see someone with even worse Google-fu than me.

It's not a pejorative I've ever come across, maybe it is an Irish specific thing? (And yes, I've heard far too many slurs for Travellers, just yesterday I was in the local store and heard someone muttering about "loving gyppos".

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

And yes, I've heard far too many slurs for Travellers

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's a slur against Irish Travellers, pretty common in Ireland and I guess in some places of the UK (?). Coming from their traditional involvement in knacker's yards.

It's also in standard usage in Ireland where Brits would use "chav" or "Ned" or whatever, basically a metonym for all your standard-issue athletic wear council estate kids.

For clarity, the adjective is not necessarily connected to the slur except indirectly, it's just one of those words that kind of hits the ear wrong now like "niggardly". The Traveller community themselves are mixed on whether the adjective is bad, but the noun is 100% a bad slur

Where I'm from knackers are a slang term for testicles. I've never heard it used to refer to a person - oddly, not even to describe someone who runs a knacker's yard.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah I don't think any Brits would use it as a word about a person, slur or otherwise. You might get some older people refer to a run down business as a 'knacker's yard' or so.

This definitely isn't because nobody in Britain would use bad words for the Traveller community though, lol, usually just contractions of Gypsy, plus all the bad words for Irish people, plus now some slurs for Romanians and Bulgarians because accuracy is never the point for the type of people who would lump in a billion South Asians with an old demonym for Pakistanis just to be a oval office.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

Where I'm from knackers are a slang term for testicles. I've never heard it used to refer to a person - oddly, not even to describe someone who runs a knacker's yard.

Isn't that because knackers yard is a term used exclusively by people old enough to star in Last of the Summer Wine?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

plus now some slurs for Romanians and Bulgarians

Hell, the term buggery comes from the belief that the heretical Bulgarians were the origin of the concept of bumming.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's good that it hasn't traveled really, despite the dictionaries calling it an "Irish and British insult". I guess in that investigative report from esteemed documentation Guy Ritchie (Snatch) they mostly just use "pikey", so that makes sense. Anyway, now you all have a new one to add to the no-no list

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Isn't that because knackers yard is a term used exclusively by people old enough to star in Last of the Summer Wine?

When I was googling it seems there's some knackeries still open around the country.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Tesseraction posted:

Hell, the term buggery comes from the belief that the heretical Bulgarians were the origin of the concept of bumming.

aw man that puts the Wombles in a whole new light

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

And yet we can't buy horse meat anywhere (at least not intentionally...).

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Strong rumours of a raise in NLW to £10.40 being announced on Thursday.

Would that be from April, or sooner?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

aw man that puts the Wombles in a whole new light

Buddy there's a reason he's the uncle and not the dad

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Great work from the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

https://twitter.com/IrishMirror/status/1590008744460652546?t=utYC8ZFUssH1XMQTBuywsg&s=19

Am up North but how the hell is this offensive?

I say it all the time in conversation if i'm really tired.

I know a Knackers Yard was where they slaughtered old animals. :shrug: