Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Private Cumshoe posted:

Still backed by Noam Chomsky!

Chomsky did not "support" Pol Pot. His position was that it was wrong for the media to call what happened in Cambodia a genocide, when they said no such thing of East Timor, a place that had a larger proportion of its people killed (by the Indonesian military), and under pretenses more directly attributable to genocide (East Timorese as a ethnic group, versus "intellectuals" as a class in Cambodia).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

Chomsky did not "support" Pol Pot. His position was that it was wrong for the media to call what happened in Cambodia a genocide, when they said no such thing of East Timor, a place that had a larger proportion of its people killed (by the Indonesian military), and under pretenses more directly attributable to genocide (East Timorese as a ethnic group, versus "intellectuals" as a class in Cambodia).

Yeah, but he spoke up...so you know.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ardennes posted:

The Iraq War comes up quite often but I don't really think most people have embraced what it really was about. I think you can safely ignore "bringing democracy" and humanitarian concerns, and the US had plenty of access to oil in 2003. In fact, oil prices were still relatively depressed compared to where they were in the early 1980s.

The big issue? Just Saddam was in the way, and while the Iraqi regime was relatively toothless, there needed to be housekeeping. Qaddafi wasn't that different.

Did tens of millions of lives get turned upside for no useful result? Yes Does anyone in the US inclding its "left wing" really care? Absolutely not
it's a bit simpler than that, sadam was trading oil in euros and a year later we invaded their country and bombed it back to the stone age. funny enough, that's also exactly the reason we bombed libya into smithereens was gaddafi was tired of getting scammed through the petrodollar and stopped cycling it through US banks and started selling oil in other currencies and setting up an Africa Union -- a year later we bombed it to ruins

anyways the iraq war was the worst genocide carried out since america genocided korea

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

its really funny cuz the jakarta method is literally posted about p much on every page of the glenn greenwald thread

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Weka posted:

The factory is in Alabama. There's only one supplier, it's Lockheed Martin intellectual property.
"To produce the Javelin anti-tank guided missile, various teams located around the U.S. collaborate to ensure the Warfighter’s arsenal stays full. After gathering material from 63 suppliers across 18 states, the missile rolls off the production line in Alabama. This is also where Wenona Sublett, production facility leader, oversees the team that helps finalize the F-Model’s production."

https://www.lockheedmartin.com/en-us/news/features/2020/essential-javelin-workers-shoulder-on-for-warfighter-during.html

Wow so only 40 people total and yeah that building is mostly empty lol. I've seen strip mall grocery stores occupy larger footprints

I get that there's only one supplier/final assembly location, I was more talking about component suppliers; there's probably two dozen major sub assemblies in a javelin (wild guess) including stuff like radio transceivers and raw circuit boards etc. Circuit boards aren't super difficult to manufacture in bulk but 1000-2000 is kind of that sweet spot where no large manufacturer wants to take the order, but also nobody wants to do something that large in their kitchen; you'd need to own some specialized machinery and have a commercial account with someone like mouser for specialty parts

TL;DR manufacturing capability is in that weird gray area where half a million dollars each is almost justifiable and scaling up is probably legitimately difficult, but at the same time if they built 12,000 a year their annual cost would be about the same as it is today as volume discounts kick in as that's the lower end of industrial mfg capability

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

People say I 'idolize' Pol Pot. Not true, I hold a fair and balanced view. The man was neither savior nor saint, but he was, at once, a very successful revolutionary, a great contributor to Marxist theory, and said to be a great listener and collaborator during discussions

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
he was right about people who wear glasses tho

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

he was right about people who wear glasses tho

:hmmyes:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Xaris posted:

it's a bit simpler than that, sadam was trading oil in euros and a year later we invaded their country and bombed it back to the stone age. funny enough, that's also exactly the reason we bombed libya into smithereens was gaddafi was tired of getting scammed through the petrodollar and stopped cycling it through US banks and started selling oil in other currencies and setting up an Africa Union -- a year later we bombed it to ruins

anyways the iraq war was the worst genocide carried out since america genocided korea

Neither Iraq or Libya were going to swing much on the dollar, it was annoying, but the wars were just tying up loose ends of governments that had once opposed the US.

I would argue that Pol Pot/the Khmer Rouge was very much a creation of the US and the type of damage it did to Eastern Cambodia. It was just geopolitical irony that the US in cooperation with Communist China would cooperate with them to screw over a proxy of the Soviets.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 12:52 on Nov 15, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

Wow so only 40 people total and yeah that building is mostly empty lol. I've seen strip mall grocery stores occupy larger footprints

I get that there's only one supplier/final assembly location, I was more talking about component suppliers; there's probably two dozen major sub assemblies in a javelin (wild guess) including stuff like radio transceivers and raw circuit boards etc. Circuit boards aren't super difficult to manufacture in bulk but 1000-2000 is kind of that sweet spot where no large manufacturer wants to take the order, but also nobody wants to do something that large in their kitchen; you'd need to own some specialized machinery and have a commercial account with someone like mouser for specialty parts

TL;DR manufacturing capability is in that weird gray area where half a million dollars each is almost justifiable and scaling up is probably legitimately difficult, but at the same time if they built 12,000 a year their annual cost would be about the same as it is today as volume discounts kick in as that's the lower end of industrial mfg capability

yea, but if you scaled up production then you'd have to make capital investments which leaves less money for naked grift

the virgin uruk-hai vs the chad uruk-ukrainian

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
More and more people are saying this.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ardennes posted:

I would argue that Pol Pot/the Khmer Rouge was very much a creation of the US and the type of damage it did to Eastern Cambodia.

as Losurdo put it, you don't get Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge without the Vietnam War and the US bombing of Cambodia to begin with

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

can someone post a flow chart of historical ukranian racial grievances plz

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

gradenko_2000 posted:

as Losurdo put it, you don't get Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge without the Vietnam War and the US bombing of Cambodia to begin with

"what about the consequences of indiscriminate, illicit bombing by the US?"

always the whataboutism

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Uruk-raine/Russia War: uruk-randa forever

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

the virgin uruk-hai vs the chad uruk-ukrainian

uruk-hainian was right there

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Egg Moron posted:

can someone post a flow chart of historical ukranian racial grievances plz

It's just a map of the world.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Dixon Chisholm posted:

It's just a map of the world.

Paraguay isn't on it...but that is just because they forgot it exists

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

NeatHeteroDude posted:

that's insane. they can't possibly go through with that. there has to be some kind of procedural safeguard in place to prevent them from killing all these people. I wonder what the long term consequences on teaching as a profession will be if they start killing teachers for doing whatever it was that got them on the list (teaching russia approved stuff)

SYQ

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

fits my needs posted:

its really funny cuz the jakarta method is literally posted about p much on every page of the glenn greenwald thread

nobody actually reads posts in the glenn greenwald thread

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gulping Again posted:

nobody actually reads

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Gulping Again posted:

nobody actually reads posts in the glenn greenwald thread

thats right

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

mlmp08 posted:

My schtick is that I check the most basic facts when they sound real wild and I don’t assume Vietnam is full of total morons and pushovers.
This all started because you had to "correct" an actual Vietnamese person Luna Oi with your silly little falsehoods you racist idiot

lmao

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

420 Gank Mid posted:

This all started because you had to "correct" an actual Vietnamese person Luna Oi with your silly little falsehoods you racist idiot

Nah, her argument is pretty spot on with the Vietnamese government’s take on the situation. I was correcting crepeface, because he completely misrepresented her words and the facts.

https://twitter.com/lunaoi_vn/status/1470759871331004416?s=46&t=NdlsxjI3uXQTOEMm6jghpg

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Imagine being this stupid lmao

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/AndriyYermak/status/1592504182703284229

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I thought this started with the claim that Cambodia got to pay for the bombs the US dropped on them. Why are we arguing about Vietnam?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

420 Gank Mid posted:

Imagine being this stupid lmao

Calling out an SA poster’s idiocy or ignorance does not means that you’re attacking a Vietnamese woman who said something completely different and with actual context. It’s just pointing out some dude’s ignorance.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Vietnam Laos and Cambodia were all French Indochina before they got all revolutionary

If you ever saw king of the hill, and grandpa was going on about Laotians, that's what this is referencing as well

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

bonelessdongs posted:

Many people already have

r/pol Pot

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

genericnick posted:

I thought this started with the claim that Cambodia got to pay for the bombs the US dropped on them. Why are we arguing about Vietnam?

No, this particular argument it started with a poster making up poo poo about the Vietnamese government agreeing to a deal to pay America for the bombs America dropped in the Vietnam war, which is a thing that never happened.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

genericnick posted:

nobody actually likes mlmp enough to agree with him when he's right

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

Accurate

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

how fortunate for us that he never is :smugbert:

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

mlmp08 posted:

No, this particular argument it started with a poster making up poo poo about the Vietnamese government agreeing to a deal to pay America for the bombs America dropped in the Vietnam war, which is a thing that never happened.

Counterpoint: money is fungible.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Gleb is just the Ukrainian pronunciation of Gilgamesh

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lord of Pie posted:

Gleb is just the Ukrainian pronunciation of Gilgamesh

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > C-SPAM > Ukraine/Russia War: Gleb Gilgamesh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Terrorists always lose?

Spoken like a man with unconfiscated airport honey.