Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Counterpoint: it has Peter Stormare chewing the scenery and stealing the show.

I like Q4. It's certainly not amazing, but it's solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I'll always play a Raven shooter!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HS3uAm9rR0

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I finished Quake 4 last night for the first time ever. It's dull as dishwater and gets laughably repetitive by the end. Some of it still looks pretty good, in particular the animations. The vehicle sections are dire. Would not recommend.

For some reason someone is making a Quake 4 TC for little-thought-about-RTT Sudden Strike 3. https://www.moddb.com/mods/sudden-quake

Just thought you should know.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So how did things shake out with Vomitoreum? It feels like even people who liked Scumhead's other stuff never really talked about it much.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
This looks neat, I believe it's the same people that did those Wolfenstein 3D Batman mods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajiJSBXxJ_I

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Mordja posted:

So how did things shake out with Vomitoreum? It feels like even people who liked Scumhead's other stuff never really talked about it much.

It’s… okay? I remember being deeply intrigued by the visuals and vibe but the metroidvania structure is super half baked and it’s overall kinda boring to me.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

This game makes Civvie so mad and vindictive I'm sure it's not good for his the Hammerite's the Mechanus' health.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Haven’t seen the video yet but I played the first two Thieves a couple years ago and preferred the first. 2 is a cool game but there’s some difference about the style of play that made me like it a lot less. Hard to put my finger on it.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

catlord posted:

This looks neat, I believe it's the same people that did those Wolfenstein 3D Batman mods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajiJSBXxJ_I

Their Wolf3D stuff doesn't look bad at all, considering the engine limitations and quirks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6122JfLesM

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Hiding beside a door and beating the poo poo out of an endless procession of firearm mooks as they walk into the room--classic Batman.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
55 hours into cultic and STILL finding secrets: there's a weapons part hidden in a box attached to a crane in the first big room with water once you enter the caves in mission 1. Apparently in the demo it was filled with a fg42 but I think they did that so you could play with most of the weapons early on. By my count that should end the mission with I think 5 parts?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Milo and POTUS posted:

55 hours into cultic and STILL finding secrets: there's a weapons part hidden in a box attached to a crane in the first big room with water once you enter the caves in mission 1. Apparently in the demo it was filled with a fg42 but I think they did that so you could play with most of the weapons early on. By my count that should end the mission with I think 5 parts?

I felt like a real Big Brain when I figured I'd give it a "shot" and sure enough a weapon part came out of it.

I was not as successful at finding 100% of the other secrets.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Man those Wolf3D modders are something else. Doomcute I get, but Wolfcute? How much variety can you possibly get out of tiles

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I felt like a real Big Brain when I figured I'd give it a "shot" and sure enough a weapon part came out of it.

I was not as successful at finding 100% of the other secrets.

Well that's the funny thing: it's literally not a secret secret. Neither is the rifle on top of the guard shack by the cult camp. Just went exploring and found it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Well that's the funny thing: it's literally not a secret secret. Neither is the rifle on top of the guard shack by the cult camp. Just went exploring and found it.

Oh that's weird then. I'd guess that shooting the crate wasn't flagged as a secret because perhaps it'd be too difficult to say for certain when the player "discovers" the secret (like when they step into a specific area or whatever)..but that doesn't make any sense and you could probably just say the secret is "discovered" when the crate is destroyed.

Also that doesn't explain the guard shack roof not being a secret, which I did notice and felt kind of ripped off by.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The creator seems pretty active on steam discussions so you might actually get through to him lol.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I just finished and I feel so much anger for Mick. This is all insane.

gently caress Marty.

The Adventures of Mick and Marty

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The weapons part in a box on crane in level 1 was definitely a marked secret in the demo.

Of you really dedicate yourself to looking for the secrets they're pretty easy to find. My first playthrough I found all but 2, and after I looked them up i was annoyed because they were both obvious and I just didn't bother looking hard enough.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Rocket Pan posted:

Knee-Deep in KDiZD is now released after 15 years of development. No, none of that was a typo.

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/132407-knee-deep-in-kdizd-released-its-kdizd-for-doom2exe/

:vince:

I had heard of this and been impressed by the screenshots back in the day but never in a million years did I ever expect it to come out, I had figured they had bumped into some insurmountable technical obstacle and given up.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Woolie Wool posted:

:vince:

I had heard of this and been impressed by the screenshots back in the day but never in a million years did I ever expect it to come out, I had figured they had bumped into some insurmountable technical obstacle and given up.
They did! But then Essel secretly picked it back up in 2020 and applied all the Mad Vanilla Science she'd figured out during BTSX plus way more besides.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Baron von Eevl posted:

The weapons part in a box on crane in level 1 was definitely a marked secret in the demo.

Of you really dedicate yourself to looking for the secrets they're pretty easy to find. My first playthrough I found all but 2, and after I looked them up i was annoyed because they were both obvious and I just didn't bother looking hard enough.

How many parts total are there then. I think I'm at 42

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Oh I have no idea, I use them pretty much immediately. I could probably go through and count it up later.

edit I ran through all the upgrades I had on my last playthrough with no extra parts and I think it adds up to 41?

Pistol: fully upgraded
LAR: only #3
Shotgun: #1, #2, #4
STEN: fully upgraded
Grenade launcher: fully upgraded
Sniper rifle: only #3

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 16, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The Sten isnt actually a bad gun. I think I'm going to to an upgrade run of it first next playthrough. It's just beaten at range by the pistol and rifles and lol sometimes even the shotty with all upgrades. It's biggest weakness is it can't crack shields for poo poo and late game they're everywhere it seems

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, I only really upgrade that towards the end once I'm happy with the pistol and shotgun, and depending on availability maybe after I upgrade the sniper scope.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

The Sten isnt actually a bad gun. I think I'm going to to an upgrade run of it first next playthrough. It's just beaten at range by the pistol and rifles and lol sometimes even the shotty with all upgrades. It's biggest weakness is it can't crack shields for poo poo and late game they're everywhere it seems

I definitely remember somebody saying something to the effect of "the Sten is basically redundant and/or unnecessary" and that stuck with me for a while, but I ended up using it quite a bit and being pleased with the results--especially after a few upgrades.

EDIT: Then again, I ended up using the poo poo out of the entire arsenal so maybe that's not saying much about the Sten in particular.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the sten is just really good for quickly dumping a lot damage into enemies. and if you're getting secrets, you'll have plenty of magnum ammo(and tnt) to kill guys at range along with the sniper later, so you don't really need to use the pistol for that and can save ammo+parts for the sten instead.

I didn't upgrade my pistol at all during my Extreme run for basically that reason.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Knee Deep in KDIZD has updated with some bugfixes and some bandaids that allow it to work properly in GZDoom. Some stuff still looks a little weird due to weird palette handling though, but people are looking at that on the engine side.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I tend to only bust out the sten when things get really hairy (those handful of encounters where you just get absolutely rushed) or at the final boss, but I'm usually trying to approach encounters by taking my time and picking enemies off or setting up dynamite traps.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/KinoFabino/status/1592744271446016000

From the replies:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

From the replies:

That's just German for "The Freeman" :v:

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
As in John Freeman.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
loving hell the big bonus map pack for UT2K4 makes the GOG copy not recognize its cd key.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

How is that possible? Surely adding the maps is just a matter of copy-pasting them into the Maps folder, right?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
You are correct! Turns out it was some community patch I downloaded.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Is Duke nukem 3d on steam worth a buy? I never got far in it as a kid but I remember liking it, especially the weapons. I played an in-browser version and it was janky as hell but that could well be a case of the emulator

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The source port it’s packaged with is trash but you can plunk Raze or whatever in that folder and it works fine.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is Duke nukem 3d on steam worth a buy? I never got far in it as a kid but I remember liking it, especially the weapons. I played an in-browser version and it was janky as hell but that could well be a case of the emulator

It’s a classic but maybe play it through other means since Randy. Wait for a sale at the very least.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Sure, sure. Gotcha.

Who is Randy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Sure, sure. Gotcha.

Who is Randy
Randy Pitchford. CEO of Gearbox Software, former Vegas magician and general-purpose sleazeball.