Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
It's an unlock for getting 2 Hard wins in a row. I haven't seen them yet because of my expert strategy of dying over and over on Unfair.

I'm really impressed by some of the achievements in this thread! Two unfair wins seems so out of reach, the farthest I've gotten is 16/17. Normal loot win is also really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I would like to thank an early game tweak of reduce enemy hp by 2 and a blessing of +1 mana on mob death for a 33 turn win. Vine + 1hp mobs + 1 mana on death makes for a very fast game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Is it intended that finishing a Blursed lap with 12+ items doesn't unlock Loot Mode?

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
Think it doesn't count because you technically don't win as you just keep on playing.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Jedit posted:

Is it intended that finishing a Blursed lap with 12+ items doesn't unlock Loot Mode?

Can't complete a mode that never ends, now can you?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

That one got me too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

What use is the Bowl? It looks like a level 0 item, but it's level 3. Does it turn off modifications like inflicted Pain and Weaken?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Jedit posted:

What use is the Bowl? It looks like a level 0 item, but it's level 3. Does it turn off modifications like inflicted Pain and Weaken?

It's great if you have any items with bad dice modifications, yeah. Off the top of my head, the +hp and pain item, most curse items, , etc. It's very very niche in regular playthroughs.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
It's good with stuff like the statuette. Free HP with no downsides.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
Not just curse items, but if you have any curses that affect your dice (blank sides, stony grasp, left -1), bowl will turn them back to normal

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Blargh I hate having to choose between Valkyrie and Chronos, those are like my two favorite end-game classes..

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Pain of Mind posted:

I feel like Hexia is the easiest, and checking the stats in the almanac it seems to track with my gut feeling. My loss rate to final bosses:

The Hand: 14%
Dragon: 12%
Hexia: 4%

Hexia you just need to take slow and for the most part it is not that threatening since it only has single damage attacks or a very manageable summon. The Hand can easily wipe you if it decides to AOE 3 rounds in a row and its summons are substantially more threatening.

All my Hand losses look the same way. He summons 3 swords turn 1, then does fire breath turn 2. Unless I have a completely busted team, I can't deal with all that incoming damage, or kill enough swords to get things under control and everything falls apart from there.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

The Hand is, imo, also a very team dependant boss, but based on how well you can use that +1. A character like Ludus doesn't get much benefit; sorcerer literally doubles in power.

Although, even then, if you're not completely busted you still have to actually fight The Hand, and he's easily the hardest boss. I've definitely lost to him because my damage wasn't up to snuff and I just couldn't withstand his onslaught.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I still haven't unlocked the Hand, and I never will. Two hard wins in a row is impossible.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I got this for PC after stumbling across this thread, and my first few hours were so fun that I’m very curious about when an iOS release might be. I’ll happily keep playing it on PC till then, but this is such a perfect strategy phone game that I could play a few minutes at a time in work downtime. I’ve already sent it to a few friends with android to spread it.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I still haven't unlocked the Hand, and I never will. Two hard wins in a row is impossible.
An early achievement the game recommended was "beat Hard mode with four of the same color in Custom Party"

So, the obvious choice is Blue, but... 50% of the time I would make it to the end, the final boss is Hexia, so.

Maybe I should try and unlock The Hand first?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Hexia with a bunch of blue characters is easier than it sounds, imo. If you get a Warlock you're pretty much golden, you can take her out in 3 Blazes and only sacrifice one character while doing so. Chronos and Weaver are also top picks if they're in your bottom slot, because a dodging mage is a mage that doesn't get hit by Mana Burn.

Making your 5th a red hero I think also helps a bunch. There are tons of good red heroes that can offset mana burn; Forsaken, Doctor, Surgeon, Witch, and I guess arguably Wraith.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Valkerie or something with bind works. Or bard for mana->shield

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
There's also items that prevent damage/death that you can stick on the bottom hero.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

RoboCicero posted:

It's an unlock for getting 2 Hard wins in a row.

On classic? Because fuckin LOOOOOL at me ever unlocking that.

Also, I spent so long trying to get sub40 that now that i'm playing blursed mode I find myself going full throttle when it would be smarter to play a bit more defensively.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Arzaac posted:

Hexia with a bunch of blue characters is easier than it sounds, imo. If you get a Warlock you're pretty much golden, you can take her out in 3 Blazes and only sacrifice one character while doing so. Chronos and Weaver are also top picks if they're in your bottom slot, because a dodging mage is a mage that doesn't get hit by Mana Burn.

Making your 5th a red hero I think also helps a bunch. There are tons of good red heroes that can offset mana burn; Forsaken, Doctor, Surgeon, Witch, and I guess arguably Wraith.

also with blues you can just sacrifice some dps by shielding your guys a bit before using a spell

Edit: actually that isn't how it works is it.... I just know that blue teams have way more trouble with thorn than hexia

norp fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 15, 2022

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Sacrificial Toast posted:

All my Hand losses look the same way. He summons 3 swords turn 1, then does fire breath turn 2. Unless I have a completely busted team, I can't deal with all that incoming damage, or kill enough swords to get things under control and everything falls apart from there.

Yea, typically you still win if you are strong enough to get to the final boss, but from my games it does seem like there is an increased loss chance for the bosses with AOE if they never give you a breather. I distinctly remember a The Hand fight where it summoned swords, then did its cleave 3 times in a row on the same 3 characters and I just could not keep up.

Also, checking the other enemies to see which fight I lose most frequently - the stupid mimic. Suiciding for level 0 items.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Pain of Mind posted:

Yea, typically you still win if you are strong enough to get to the final boss, but from my games it does seem like there is an increased loss chance for the bosses with AOE if they never give you a breather.

I'd bet this is why a lot of people show higher-than-expected loss rates to Dragon. That fucker can put out a lot of multitarget damage if the mood strikes it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If you get the chance to use the anvil in loot mode, and it suggests you'll get a level 50 item, don't take it, you just get a worthless item called 'bug'

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tunicate posted:

If you get the chance to use the anvil in loot mode, and it suggests you'll get a level 50 item, don't take it, you just get a worthless item called 'bug'

But do you get an achievement for getting it?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nope. Not even one of those secret achievements that doesn't unlock anything

Its too bad because i had a great run going and now i traded away my entire build for a windows bluescreen.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I guess that makes sense, there's no level 50 item in the almanac...

Still, what a letdown.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I think it's absolutely hilarious and am only upset that I haven't seen it yet.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

fiddy :sax:

looking through the stats,
orange: fencer is #1, but a pretty even spread. 100% pickrate trapper in t2, and she gets kept around over t3 surprisingly often!
yellow: wanderer & barbarian tied, rest fall off slowly. used to do a lot of steel carry setups in 1.0, but they feel pretty limp now.
grey: valkyrie(100%), our girl. deathless is just wildly better then anything the other greys offer. poet in distant second, the rest in the dumpster.
red: forsaken on top, but not a blowout, because reds are generally serviceable, and i'll often take one to keep other classes open. a surprising last place is shaman(25%), who was one of the top overall picks in 1.0, but the game sped up too much for cleanse to be very meaningful. fey and herbalist both standout t2, reliable slow is very strong & vine is amazing.
blue: good old sorcerer, even nerfed he cleans house. warlock and chronos on his heels, with a precipitous drop after them. artificer and ace barely hitting double digits; the nerf to single-use dice really torpedoed the first & ace just seems like too much setup / too much randomness / too much thinky.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea, ace is by far the one i'll skip the most. Like i'd rather keep some t2s than use ace.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I feel like Ace might be at least decent if not for the empty faces. Just make him the Guy That Always Gives You Mana and there you have it, he's potentially worth picking sometimes if you have a red with a great spell (or have looted a great spell at some point)

e: or give him a reroll cantrip, that's on-brand and would go nicely with a) his gimmick and b) many other classes

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Generally I think Ace is pretty alright. He's definitely synergy dependent but if you've got a team that can actually activate his triple he's pretty great. Most turns he's 3/4 mana and actually hitting that triple is 9 mana, which is absolutely phenomenal. His spell is a little niche but there are definitely team comps where it's really useful.

I like him more than Ghast, at least.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Arzaac posted:

Generally I think Ace is pretty alright. He's definitely synergy dependent but if you've got a team that can actually activate his triple he's pretty great. Most turns he's 3/4 mana and actually hitting that triple is 9 mana, which is absolutely phenomenal. His spell is a little niche but there are definitely team comps where it's really useful.

I like him more than Ghast, at least.

Ghast is the one I avoid every time.

I'm of two minds about Roulette.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah Ghast is really bad.

Roulette is an absolute hard no from me unless I have Valkyrie or whichever red it is that casts Bind.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

There are too many enemies with weaken to make Ace useful. Even if you DO have a team with at least 2 other people with at least 1 3 value pip per character, that doesn't mean you'll actually have them available even if you manage to roll those sides.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I think orange is the class where I am pretty happy with any option, with yellow and red being the one after. Valkyrie is definitely the slam-jam pick for me since barely any other grey option comes close (mimic and twin are the next two just because I like to get in over my head on trying to combo items.

I feel like contributing to this is not valuing repel very highly, but it seems like it's "priced" like cleave, but the ... versatility? of being able to use it as a weak shield or difficult to aim cleave has never appealed to me.

e: roulette is very fun -- even without a way to mitigate the penalty they're a strong one. they should say "we live in a society" if you reroll into their death side.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

CainFortea posted:

There are too many enemies with weaken to make Ace useful.

I don't...think that's true? There's Illusion, Quartz, Basilisk, Wizz, Hydra, Banshee, Lich, Basalt. Illusion and Quartz are easy enough to kill, Wizz is generally easy to stun out with some amount of access to ranged/cleave/bones, Banshee and Basalt have a strong enough weaken that it's debilitating to any hero. Basilisk and Hydra I suppose are genuine threats, though they do only have weaken on one die face (and Hydra in particular you have bigger issues if you can't kill it in 1 turn). I guess, yeah, I'm not gonna run Ace against Lich, though that's more because Ace is almost never gonna be my first level 3 hero pick.

I don't know, a hero being weak to weaken hasn't really impacted my decision making much because the solution to weaken enemies usually ends up being kill them quickly, rather than counterpick for them.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm usually pretty happy with roulette. They do a lot of damage! If you roll the death side at a bad time, just don't use it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm usually pretty happy with roulette. They do a lot of damage! If you roll the death side at a bad time, just don't use it.

isn't that side mandatory so you have to use it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Tunicate posted:

isn't that side mandatory so you have to use it?

I think you just have to pick it if it rolls. I could be wrong.