Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Did they fix the issue using screens/flash not rated for automotive applications?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Darchangel posted:

What?
Why on Earth would you not put a keylock on the rear of the car. I don't even...

Key lock? What's that? The only way to put a key in my Scirocco is to pry off a plastic cover off of the driver side door.
I don't even have a button or anything on the trunk. The only way to open it is with a button on the driver side door which pops it enough so that you can jam your fingers underneath the lid and open it. VW really thought that one though!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

...and if you double tap that it does autopilot? That's such bad user interface design. It's so much easier to double tap accidentally than to physically move a lever.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
No with the 3 and Y you have a "gear"selector stalk behind the steering wheel. When you push that down twice you engage autopilot. I think with the S/X you need to push the left stalk back.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

StormDrain posted:

I dislike the knob in my Escape. I back into most parking spaces and sometimes put it in park instead of reverse and just sit there for a moment not moving.

My wife has a newer escape with this same dumb wheel. I flail around like someone who’s never driven before trying to find the gear selector any time I drive it. I like the car a lot otherwise but man that gear selector is stupid.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
In a video showing off that idiotic Tesla yoke, the driver accidentally brushed the touchscreen and changed the gear because he had to flail around with the yoke so much when turning the wheel while stopped. Seems great.

And yeah, my understanding is that Tesla wants to remove all the physical gear selectors because they have an AI that tries to predict if you need to back out of a parking space or go forward. Which, of course, sounded pretty bad in the most dangerous way - it picked the correct direction most of the time. Most.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

coupedeville posted:

TV just told me that Jay Leno has suffered burn injuries after a car fire....

Terrible car stuff? Probably. More information to come I'm sure

Edit: https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/jay-leno-burned-car-fire-face-injuries-severe-1235432183/

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/...1b067f4f9aaed20

quote:

Jay tells TMZ from his hospital bed that he was working on his 1910 White Steam Car [below] in his famed garage this past Saturday, fixing a clogged fuel line. He says there was a fuel leak and gasoline sprayed on his face and hands. Almost simultaneously a spark triggered an explosion, setting the comedian on fire. Jay, who was rushed to a nearby burn center by ambulance, says he expects to be hospitalized for somewhere between 5 and 10 days.”

Leno said his “quick-thinking buddy Dave was right there and jumped on him, quickly smothering the flames. The left side of Jay’s face was badly burned … His hands were burned as well. He says he’s now dealing with third-degree burns and may need skin grafts. The burns did not damage his eyes or his ears.”

Christ that sounds terrifying.

...I'm honestly amazed he's so into steam cars still, though. I swear he's been set on fire by them before, or at the very least came extremely close to it.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
god that's nightmarish, hope he comes out of it alright

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
For being an unfunny weirdo boomer comedian, he's a nice guy in person and I still respect him as a mechanic and curator of interesting engineering. I hope he heals up good and keeps doing fun stuff.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
honestly im amazed that he actually does his own work on those. i figured he had a fleet of mechanics that came with the giant warehouse of cars. props for that if nothing else

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Tim Allen is the same; they are both huge car nerds.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mr. Wiggles posted:

For being an unfunny weirdo boomer comedian, he's a nice guy in person and I still respect him as a mechanic and curator of interesting engineering. I hope he heals up good and keeps doing fun stuff.

:hmmyes:

Raluek posted:

honestly im amazed that he actually does his own work on those. i figured he had a fleet of mechanics that came with the giant warehouse of cars. props for that if nothing else

I think he has a full-time mechanic and another couple guys who specialize in certain things that he calls in. He definitely wrenches on his own stuff though; His collection is so big that just keeping things from rotting away probably takes the full-timer by itself.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Platystemon posted:

“Made a simple fuel tank holder mounted under my chassis for my Chinese diesel heater.” (/r/vandwellers)

hey, it'll keep you extra warm after a long drive

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Can click for big. The sides weren't as fun, just a couple long reflectors.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Cage posted:

Can click for big. The sides weren't as fun, just a couple long reflectors.

I don't see it.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I've seen one minivan like that (not that specific one) and it was because they were a rural mail carrier and apparently had gotten slammed into from behind at about 55mph twice so they went full ridiculous in hopes of avoiding a 3rd time.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

My buddy has a Chevy Colorado with the 2.8L Duramax. It’s had no non-routines since he’s owned it, and threw the first code after the power train warranty expired. I don’t recall the code number, but it’s the DEF level sensor fault, which indicates replacement of the sensor/DEF heater unit.

No one would touch a baby duramax, so he took it to the dealer. The part is $154 on GMpartsidrect or whatever, but the dealer gets $350. Fine.

But the estimate is for $3100 because they say it also needs a DEF pump, and fuel pump/sender unit. Which is of course, horseshit.

Anyone have any resources for breaking it off in the rear end in a top hat of a dealer for a vehicle out of warranty?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Terrible car stuff is Mazda failing to give us any good colors for the Miata. I want to see a BRG and Sunburst Yellow variant of the Soul Red Crystal, not sand/beige.

Motor1 : 2023 Mazda MX-5 Revealed With Zircon Sand Paint And Small Price Bump.
https://www.motor1.com/news/622205/2023-mazda-mx-5-pricing/

Why do we only get bad colors?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Can't believe the ND has been around 8 years already, wtf.

I think the average for Miata is around 10 years per model so the NE might be closer than it might appear.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

MetaJew posted:

Why do we only get bad colors?

1. Modern paints are expected to be extremely deep, glossy, metallic, and long-wearing. It is difficult and expensive to make brightly colored paints that also meet all those requirements. All the brightly colored paints from the 60s and 70s? They are relatively flat -- no metal flake, single-layer clear coat, etc -- and they only last like 5 years. That was fine in those decades when jobs paid well and you bought a new car every three years. The expectations are different now. You can still make high quality brightly colored automotive paints, but they're very expensive.

but more importantly,

2. Resale value. People are so loving concerned with the resale value!!! They know that a bright orange car is harder to sell than a plain silver gray one, because while nobody really likes a silver gray car, it also won't turn off all the dullards who can't imagine having a car with colors on it. Boring colors are what boring people want, and boring people are the majority.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Porsche and Lamborghini will paint your new car any color you want

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Is there a term for the new kind of very flat paint finish that is popular now? The new Broncos have it, for example

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I'll give you Lambo, they're mostly seen in more exciting colors, but even with the essentially infinite options that Porsche offers you (for a price), the majority of the dealer lots are a sea or black, white, and grey.

I love color on vehicles but I'm guilty of owning both a black and a white vehicle.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

everdave posted:

Porsche and Lamborghini will paint your new car any color you want

(Un)Fortunately I do not have the income to have to worry about having too many paint choices.

I was honestly planning on vinyl wrapping my Miata but all the quotes I got were around $4k, and that's a lot to spend on a temporary cosmetic. The money would be better spent on track days or a new motorcycle or TE-37s, etc.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Bajaha posted:

I love color on vehicles but I'm guilty of owning both a black and a white vehicle.

I have a white vehicle, but a) I like the color white and b) it's a BMW and approximately 99.5% of BMWs are black.

It's also a wagon.

When I bought it, the dealer had two white wagons. It was shocking.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I’m boring but I love white my daily is white I prefer to buy white imports from Japan. Why? Because I can buff the hell out of them and touch them up easily. But my pearl white crown is my preferred color, I just like it the best and if I was buying a new Porsche or lambo and wasn’t idiot rich I’d probably get a white one

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Scratch Monkey posted:

Is there a term for the new kind of very flat paint finish that is popular now? The new Broncos have it, for example

Matte paint? It only ever looks decent on squared off stuff. BMW were offering it named as ice white and ice black but every one I saw with it just looked like it was in the middle of getting painted. Not my favourite.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

White and black are at least better than gray.

No, your car is not Storm Titanium, or Quicksilver, or Celestite, or Montana Smoke, or Manhattan Charcoal. It's gray.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Silver/gray is the new Beige.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Sagebrush posted:

White and black are at least better than gray.

No, your car is not Storm Titanium, or Quicksilver, or Celestite, or Montana Smoke, or Manhattan Charcoal. It's gray.
Hey hey hey, my Corolla and Tacoma are Magnetic grey metallic !!!!

I got them both the same color because I like it then I didn't have to buy a second paint touch up pen.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Black looks great but is horrible to deal with and white is boring. Grey matches the concrete around you and serves as a cloaking device from the cops (or witnesses).

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Gray/silver cars have been shown to have a ten plus percent of accident risk because I assume, blend in more. Wouldn’t make me not pick one or take a 300zx TT in silver but I can see how they blend in

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

MetaJew posted:

(Un)Fortunately I do not have the income to have to worry about having too many paint choices.

I was honestly planning on vinyl wrapping my Miata but all the quotes I got were around $4k, and that's a lot to spend on a temporary cosmetic. The money would be better spent on track days or a new motorcycle or TE-37s, etc.

The quality of vinyl now in combination with professional application and sealant is really past the point of temporary. You're looking at 7+ years before there's any visible UV damage.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

One of the more terrifying events I've experienced on the road was riding my motorcycle along skyline blvd in a thick fog, with less than a hundred feet of visibility, and having a fog-gray Prius suddenly appear out of the mist in front of me, headlights off, dead center in the road, halfway across the line into my lane.

I swerved over to the shoulder and just missed them. They didn't move out of line at all -- just continued mindlessly on their way in the center of the road. I looked in my mirror and saw the rear of their car (no taillights) silently disappear back into the fog.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Seeing people driving at night with only their DRLs on and not their headlights, or with just their fog DRIVING LIGHTS on makes me irrationally angry.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

its doubly terrible because the instrument cluster usually isn't dimmed either. idk how these people are even seeing outside at that point

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

having a fog-gray Prius suddenly appear out of the mist in front of me, headlights off, dead center in the road, halfway across the line into my lane.

This is why I hate gray cars. Rain, fog, or just a particularly overcast day and they become nearly invisible if their lights are off (which they of course are).

White cars have the same problem when it's snowing but I don't have to deal with that much anymore.

Someday I hope manufacturers will turn the lights on by default and bury an option to turn them off way deep in the touchscreen menus. The setting should reset when the car is turned off and be completely ignored when the car is in drive/reverse.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Galler posted:

Someday I hope manufacturers will turn the lights on by default and bury an option to turn them off way deep in the touchscreen menus. The setting should reset when the car is turned off and be completely ignored when the car is in drive/reverse.

DRLs have been required in all good countries for decades now. Americans have generally resisted the concept because they don't want to have to buy replacement headlamp bulbs marginally more often. (Seriously, that's the primary argument against them when it has come up in legislation). Now that all cars are coming with LED headlamps we can hopefully put that poo poo to rest and mandate "car on = lights on" like civilized people. Most car companies are doing it by default now anyway.

This doesn't solve the problem of people running without headlight/taillight at night, but at least it prevents the fog-gray Prius situation. Maybe automatic light-sensing headlamps will become mandated and it will fix everything for the average dummies.

I also learned that some motorcyclists are against DRLs, but only on cars -- because in about half of US states, motorcycles have long been required to burn the headlamp any time the engine is running. (Since 1978 in California, for instance). The argument is that if motorcycles are the only vehicles running headlamps during the day, they will stand out more against the cars, which an obvious safety benefit.

Personally I do kind of agree with the concept, but I really don't like the idea of a vehicle being active with no lamps to alert people around of this status. Industrial vehicles and airplanes all run rotating beacons and it's just an all-around good idea. So I think DRLs should be required both on cars and motorcycles.

My solution to the confusion: motorcycles, and only motorcycles, get to have selective yellow headlamps or DRLs. Now everyone is visible but the bikes stand out against the sea of blue LEDs. Problem solved.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

DRLs have been required in all good countries for decades now. Americans have intensely resisted the concept because they don't want to have to buy replacement headlamp bulbs marginally more often. (Seriously, that's the primary argument against them when it has come up in legislation). Now that all cars are coming with LED headlamps we can hopefully put that poo poo to rest and mandate "car on = lights on" like civilized people.

The problem is actually that many cars do have DRLs, but they are not full headlights and typically do not light up the tail lamps or markers. So idiot drivers drive around with just their DRLs on at night and in the rain. And LED lamps have made it even more common.

If I made the rules, car on = headlights, tail lamps, and markers on. You have to go out of your way to turn them off.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

I also learned that some motorcyclists are against DRLs, but only on cars -- because in about half of US states, motorcycles have long been required to burn the headlamp any time the engine is running. (Since 1978 in California, for instance). The argument is that if motorcycles are the only vehicles running headlamps during the day, they will stand out more against the cars, which an obvious safety benefit.

I was hit on my motorcycle by someone making a left turn in front of me. They 100% saw me, came to a complete stop, decided they could make it anyway, then accelerated through the intersection.

I don't see how 100% DRL would make that worse.