Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Arquinsiel posted:

Those last dudes have a weirdly loose grip on their weapons :stare:

I will say exactly one good thing about GB hands: you don't have to drill them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TG Secret Santa 2022 is up!

I think there's probably lots of historical minis/terrain options within the $40 recommended gift price, so I'd love to see some of y'all participate if you can!

Placentaur
Jan 17, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Gripping Beast makes a line in metals

So it does seem kinda Saxon. From a quick Google it looks like the unique pseudo-conquistador helmets are iconic but a little dubious, I think they're represented in contemporary art but it's unclear if they were actually used? They don't seem to have the iconic coif/helmet the Normans used, kite shields can be easily swapped out

Early Franks also have a distinctive haircut, these guys are basically just barely on the other side of Age of Invasions

Thank you! I don't know why I didn't look at GB itself. It really does seem to mostly be a little bit of saxon/norman, just with more mustaches and different haircuts.

I'm surprised there's not more material out there, but I wonder if it's a language thing, since most sources in English are likely more interested in the Viking invasion of England rather than whatever was happening on the continent. Maybe I should try looking at sources in French.

But this is very fun, I get the appeal. Not many hobbies have you asking "but what really is a Frank, on a spiritual level"

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Placentaur posted:

Not many hobbies have you asking "but what really is a Frank, on a spiritual level"
A Roman Catholic of a sort.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Slyphic posted:

Battle of Phillora, IndoPak War 65' using Seven Days to the River Rhine

Another microarmor game, 100% 3D printed, and another heavily houseruled game with tons of tanks and little else.

The gently caress are these grogs doing, isn't Seven Days already a light ruleset? I can understand wanting to houserule FFoT3, but this is just weird.

...and seeing how the two Moderns games were nothing but tanks, clearly these people want to be playing TY, but are too prideful for that :v

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Southern Heel posted:

Despite the allure, I don't really think I've succeeded much at all with historical wargaming at all! My various efforts are chronicled in this thread, but to summarise: the only games I've managed were in 6mm - DBA Romans/Celts and 6mm Chain of Command based up as 15mm.

In the intervening years I've attempted to restart my teenage affection for sci-fi but it's just not working - I keep coming back to the fantastic narratives of the ECW, Napoleonic War, WW1, etc. - so I bought the Warlord 10mm box, but with hundreds of identical miniatures I just found it completely overwhelming, and I failed pretty hardcore. I think no matter how good the deal is, my motivation is sapped easily when I've got a huge box of unpainted miniatures.

I've seen some interesting 3mm with the Oddzial Osmy napoleonics and I'm curious but I think realistically I'm going to go with Bacchus or Commission Figures in 6mm and my gut is to go with the 60mm x 30mm bases they supply - but I only have a 900mm table width, is that going to be a problem? I've got nobody to play against and probably won't, so matching an existing basing pattern isn't crucial.

And so, to that end it would make sense to try to limit how much lead I'm stocking up - but I'm not sure how to reconcile getting the smallest usable forces out of my initial foray, though: it seems that most Nappy games suggest four bases per battalion, which I'm fairly happy with as a rule visually - but it seems like in accepting that I'm immediately setting myself up for two huge armies. Lasalle's introductory scenario of Esel suggests a French force of 8 battalions of line infantry, 3 artillery and 2 hussars - which is 52 bases before we even talk about the other army!

[/timg]

Our first Lasalle games were a tad smaller than the "small" army size suggested in the scenarios. I think if you have maybe 6-8 battalions per side, set up into 2-3 brigades, you can start to get a feel for the game. If you worry about the size of your table, I based my 6mm lasalle troops on the old school WRG style (40mm wide instead of 60mm). It looks less impressive but then you're looking at painting two thirds of the minis of the larger basing style, and you can also get away with a significantly smaller table.

These 6mm Baccus British were painted for Lasalle 1 many years ago. And those skirmisher bases in front of each battalion are streamlined away in the standard Lasalle 2 rules:

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Nov 15, 2022

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Historical wargaming is something you do theoretically, whereas practically you’re filling a display case with lovingly painted figures for you to stare at

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Thank you liljonas, two ranks of eight on 40mm bases for 6mm it is, then.

Endman posted:

Historical wargaming is something you do theoretically, whereas practically you’re filling a display case with lovingly painted figures for you to stare at

Well yes, I keep thinking this when I consider 3mm vs 6mm vs 15mm vs 28mm. I've decided the only way I'm going to know if 3mm is for me is to try it, so I've ordered 40mm and 60mm bases, and a smattering of 3mm Austrians from Oddzial Osmy via Magister Militarum. I went with Austrians since bright and flamboyant seems to be the name of the game when it comes to painting!

For some reason MM supply everything in strips of 15x - so I have enough guns for a division, but just enough infantry for a single regiment!

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 15, 2022

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

JcDent posted:

The gently caress are these grogs doing, isn't Seven Days already a light ruleset? I can understand wanting to houserule FFoT3, but this is just weird.

...and seeing how the two Moderns games were nothing but tanks, clearly these people want to be playing TY, but are too prideful for that :v
After each microarmor game I played, because they ended so quickly, I wandered around and spectated a couple other similar games going on, and the whole m-con treadhead culture seems to love billions of tanks and gently caress infantry. There were two other FFT3 games going on and they both looked a hell of a lot like the ones I played, with one having what had to be 200+ tanks on the table, and like 50 of them in a flying wedge formation. Which is just completely opposite what I want out of those games, that I think there may be an insurmountable difference of taste at play. Even the one micro-a game I played last year was the same.

I say that, there was apparently a game of Rommel I entirely missed (saw photos of it posted later) that looked like the game I was hoping to sign up for.

Next year, when I set my alarm for the correct day and actually sign up early, I've got that guys name on a list to sign up for whatever he's running.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Meanwhile my turn to ask modeling question:

What's that bracket on the hauberk for? GB Norman knights

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

StashAugustine posted:

What's that bracket on the hauberk for? GB Norman knights

On his chest? That's one of those "dunno" questions. It comes from the Bayeux Tapestry, a near-contemporary cartoon re-telling of the Norman Conquest:

You can see that the Norman knights have them, but we're not 100% sure what it was. Maybe it was a reenforcement to protect their chest, or maybe a flap to make it easier to put on the armor, there's no certain answer.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Slyphic posted:

After each microarmor game I played, because they ended so quickly, I wandered around and spectated a couple other similar games going on, and the whole m-con treadhead culture seems to love billions of tanks and gently caress infantry. There were two other FFT3 games going on and they both looked a hell of a lot like the ones I played, with one having what had to be 200+ tanks on the table, and like 50 of them in a flying wedge formation. Which is just completely opposite what I want out of those games, that I think there may be an insurmountable difference of taste at play. Even the one micro-a game I played last year was the same.

I say that, there was apparently a game of Rommel I entirely missed (saw photos of it posted later) that looked like the game I was hoping to sign up for.

Next year, when I set my alarm for the correct day and actually sign up early, I've got that guys name on a list to sign up for whatever he's running.
That's the kind of game where I love messing with the other side by doing something totally unexpected. Like, say, taking nothing but a "gunline" of infantry hauling ATGMs that deploy hidden.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Cessna posted:

On his chest? That's one of those "dunno" questions. It comes from the Bayeux Tapestry, a near-contemporary cartoon re-telling of the Norman Conquest:

You can see that the Norman knights have them, but we're not 100% sure what it was. Maybe it was a reenforcement to protect their chest, or maybe a flap to make it easier to put on the armor, there's no certain answer.

The best explanation I’ve seen is that it’s the piece that covers the face up to the nose when it’s folded down for comfort, but as far as I know there’s as much evidence for that as for anything

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I painted up my Hungarian army.

It's a mix of Warlord and Great Escape Game minis.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Those look great!

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Is there a place to show off scale models we've painted? I just did a 1:35 M41 Walker Bulldog as my first kit in 20 years, but it's not tied to any historicals game per se.

A very nice prop for the upcoming PATROL 2? IDK.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Here ya go. But also here is fine too.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Am I correct in thinking that DBN is a reasonable first Napoleonics game in terms of base-count at around 10-15 per army. It seems that Blucher is more like 15-20, and divisional-level games like Lasalle or Shako are more like 30-40.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Absolutely. It's like 12 bases at most you'll need and the game can be played on a 2x2' board.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Slyphic posted:

Closeted TY players, the only likely reason they play what they play is hating 15mm or something.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Burning wrecks are cool. It's just not the same with infantry, people get weird when you put down a red tiddlywink and say it's blood.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Burning wrecks are cool. It's just not the same with infantry, people get weird when you put down a red tiddlywink and say it's blood.

You could print a load of casualties and sprinkle them down with each failed offensive. have an honour roll of the dead to read off to your opponent every time the kill one of your guys.
Drive home the horrors of war.
Post game cleanup would be a bitch though!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Grey Hunter posted:

You could print a load of casualties and sprinkle them down with each failed offensive. have an honour roll of the dead to read off to your opponent every time the kill one of your guys.

Doesn't the ASOIAF game have a "gore piles" mechanic that leaves a mess after every combat to impose penalties all round?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

That's Sludge, the totally-not-a-turnip28-ripoff game. It's the only original mechanic it has.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Grey Hunter posted:

take the Cannon Fodder route

https://mobile.twitter.com/Sporting_chin/status/1589744385524391936

me after the game

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

JcDent posted:

That's Sludge, the totally-not-a-turnip28-ripoff game. It's the only original mechanic it has.

I just checked, ASOIAF also has the corpse pile mechanic.

Is Turnip28 even a game or one of these weird art projects like Blanchitsu.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Z the IVth posted:

I just checked, ASOIAF also has the corpse pile mechanic.

Is Turnip28 even a game or one of these weird art projects like Blanchitsu.

Ok, ASOIAF does have corpse piles in some missions.

Turnip28 is a very functional Napoleonics game where you can spice things up by joining such factions like "graip reliquary, but its a turnip," "combat gardeners" and "eaters of their own commanders"

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

But also here is fine too.

The last time I did this I was in primary school and my dad helped me. I was originally just looking for some Flames of War-type BT-7s or Comrade Emchas I could slather in light brown paint and call it a day, since I knew that if I set my expectations for what I could manage in terms of painting too high I'd lose all motivation before I'd even finished, but there were no BT-7s or M4A2s, and for whatever reason the Tamiya 1:35 Walker Bulldog was about half the price of all other tank kits in the store.

I started with just a bottle of olive green paint, but once I'd assembled the model I felt that I wouldn't be happy unless I painted in some details. The more details I did the more confident I got, and I'm very happy with the tanker bar thingy:

It should probably not have a wooden shaft, come to think of it, but oh well. It looks great!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

First batch of 3mm dollies arrived. I'm still not sure on how I want to base them:

Two ranks of two strips on 40mm? most practical

Three ranks of two strips on 40mm? probably closest to reality of close ordered line troops but just a bit too crowded?

Three ranks of two strips on 60mm? nicely spaced but maybe a little near to being sparse?

Three ranks of three strips on 60mm? cinematic and awesome, but then I'm at almost 100 figures per base and while I'm not going to do it straight away I do have a long term goal of a 'grand' army - and setting myself up with needing to paint multiple thousands of figures seems a bit risky.

I can't decide - I can see justification for 2x2 on 40mm, and both 60mm permutations. Can someone help me?

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 17, 2022

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

JcDent posted:

Ok, ASOIAF does have corpse piles in some missions.

Turnip28 is a very functional Napoleonics game where you can spice things up by joining such factions like "graip reliquary, but its a turnip," "combat gardeners" and "eaters of their own commanders"

I get the gist but where are the rules? I went looking once but all I found were people doing pretty models and little else.

It's like some of the Inq28 and Blanchitsu, lots of pretty models but very little explanation of how they are being used apart from being visual aids in a story.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Southern Heel posted:

First batch of 3mm dollies arrived. I'm still not sure on how I want to base them:
<snip>
I can't decide - I can see justification for 2x2 on 40mm, and both 60mm permutations. Can someone help me?
Since you're cutting your own bases, have you considered 3 ranks of 2 strips on 50mm?

Z the IVth posted:

It's like some of the Inq28 and Blanchitsu, lots of pretty models but very little explanation of how they are being used apart from being visual aids in a story.
Inq28 is a catch-all term for people who are using 40k-adjacent rulesets to play other kinds of conflicts. It started by using Inquisitor for 28mm figures rather than 54mm figures and has since spread to doing things like writing custom "gang" lists for Necromunda etc. Blanchitsu is just a painting style, where you're trying to make your toys look like a John Blanche painting.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 17, 2022

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Z the IVth posted:

I get the gist but where are the rules? I went looking once but all I found were people doing pretty models and little else.

Think you've got to pay for it via his Patreon.
https://www.patreon.com/Turnip28

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Nah, the rules are a free post on it: https://www.patreon.com/posts/play-turnip28-50212485

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nice, good to see there's a game behind it!

Maybe I'll make a Jacob-Rees Bogg the Toff miniature one day.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

Since you're cutting your own bases, have you considered 3 ranks of 2 strips on 50mm?

I wasn't going to make my own tbh, I was just sketching before ordering a stack from warbases :)

I hadn't considered anything else because I was so deep into it being a standard DBx or 6mm base size but actually a 50mm width for 3x2 looks really nice and I'm never going to actually PLAY this game with anyone anyway...

I also painted up the first lot - they're not perfect by any stretch but they do seem reasonably like fusiliers. I did attempt to paint the cuffs and facings but it was just completely lost (as expected) so regimental identification is out the window though :)

Endman
May 18, 2010

drat those are tiny

They look great though; I definitely get the impression that it's a group of dudes that are either very small, or far away :v:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Southern Heel posted:

I wasn't going to make my own tbh, I was just sketching before ordering a stack from warbases :)

I hadn't considered anything else because I was so deep into it being a standard DBx or 6mm base size but actually a 50mm width for 3x2 looks really nice and I'm never going to actually PLAY this game with anyone anyway...
Somehow my brain thought you were talking about depth and not width. Since they're such tiny strips you could just cut them up to fit however you want on the bases anyway.

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013

The link to the Google Drive rules doesn't work. I guess he must have taken them down...?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Cannibal Smiley posted:

The link to the Google Drive rules doesn't work. I guess he must have taken them down...?

The attachment at the bottom of the post does though! https://www.patreon.com/file?h=50212485&i=7850899

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

The GDrive link in the Patreon "About Max" section works for me.

Also, the game has a loving tight TTS module with great art.

JcDent fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Nov 19, 2022