Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It’s safe to assume any major commercial project has huge levels of tech debt. Rewriting stuff that (for the most part) works acceptably right now is very hard to push through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

It was well understood that this would be the outcome.

Well, yes, that's exactly my point. The Supreme Court recognized that Congress would be completely toothless on that particular issue, and therefore they could do as they liked without fear of real political pushback.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

I wrote so much code Elon keep me here I printed it up so you can count the lines

// afahfzjfzjgdjgzjgzzdJfNcz
// khxkgxcnHfzjfzjgzjgzjvxjvxmvz
[Etc]

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

Well, yes, that's exactly my point. The Supreme Court recognized that Congress would be completely toothless on that particular issue, and therefore they could do as they liked without fear of real political pushback.

Sure but that admits the Supreme Court didn’t rule based on the intent of the founding fathers or what is written in the constitution. They ruled based on “gently caress you” and “eat poo poo”.

To believe in their legitimacy is to be (at best) willfully dense.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1592287718926651395

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Heard rumblings that Governor BIG JIM Justice might be interested in Manchin's seat. He is a living caricature of a 19th century coal magnate but he'd be a shoe-in for Senator if he runs. On the other hand he is old, and fat, and probably 40% coal dust and industrial chemicals by volume, so the WV GOP might just opt for someone more likely to survive through their full term.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Ither posted:

More details

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1592254542443266048

IANAL, but I believe the full faith and credit part means that even if a state were to ban SSM, it would still have to recognize out of state marriages.

GOP might have been willing to do this in the lame duck just to kill the issue, but in the wake of the midterms this would be letting the dems deliver on their otherwise toothless claim to defend America's collapsing civil rights.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Ither posted:

More details

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1592254542443266048

IANAL, but I believe the full faith and credit part means that even if a state were to ban SSM, it would still have to recognize out of state marriages.

This bill looks pretty lovely tbh? If I'm reading it right, the bill is basically like the Dobbs decision where states can straight up ban SSM again if they want to, but hey you're still free to spend your time and money driving to another state to get the marriage you want! Plus it's full of religious liberty protections which are just another hateful roadblock that same sex couples have to deal with.

Also, way to poo poo on polyamorous relationships for no reason at #4 there. Just to top it off.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Disappointing, but not entirely surprising to see Biden claim that they wont be able to pass abortion-rights legislation. I guess i'm surprised to see him say this so close to the elections

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna57038

quote:

President Joe Biden said Monday that he did not expect Democrats to have enough votes in Congress to be able to pass legislation codifying Roe v. Wade

Asked at a news conference in Bali, Indonesia, what Americans could expect Congress to do about abortion access, Biden said: “I don’t think they can expect much of anything other than we’re going to maintain our positions.”

“I don’t think there’s enough votes to codify unless something happens unusual in the House,” Biden said.

“I think we’re going to get very close in the House,” he added. “But I don’t think we’re going to make it.”

Control of the House remains unresolved as vote-counting in the midterm elections continues; Republicans remain the favorite to control of the chamber by a narrow majority.

Democrats have kept control of the Senate, but passing a bill through it would likely require 60 votes, which would necessitate about 10 Republicans’ supporting it.

Exit polls showed that abortion was a major motivating issue for voters this election cycle.

Although Democrats performed surprisingly well in the midterm elections, Biden’s remarks Monday underscore the limitations of his policy agenda as he adjusts to what will likely be a divided Congress.

“What these elections showed is that there’s a deep, unwavering commitment in America to preserving and protecting and defending democracy,” Biden said.

Biden is traveling overseas for a series of international conferences. He attended the United Nations summit on climate change in Egypt last week and is in Bali for the annual meeting of the Group of 20 leading rich and developing nations.

Biden said that throughout his trip it has “been clear just how closely the world, our allies and our competitors, as well, have been following our elections at home.”

Well, maybe next election cycle they'll get around to it :effort:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

It's a real shame that at no point after Roe v Wade was overturned, the Democrats didn't have any way to codify abortion rights into law. I mean, it's not like they would have attempted to use the issue as a cudgel to try to get people to vote for them in the midterms and then act surprised when they lost, right?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Disappointing, but not entirely surprising to see Biden claim that they wont be able to pass abortion-rights legislation. I guess i'm surprised to see him say this so close to the elections

Democrats will never pass abortion legislation. It’s too useful of a wedge issue to drive tournout.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

davecrazy posted:

Democrats will never pass abortion legislation. It’s too useful of a wedge issue to drive tournout.

Not sure if i'm missing :thejoke: but that's what people said about republicans overturning roe v wade

personally i think they'd have better turnout if they delivered on their promises, or at least made an honest attempt at doing so

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

If they insist on keeping the filibuster then no, they don’t have the 60 votes to pass abortion rights

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Randalor posted:

It's a real shame that at no point after Roe v Wade was overturned, the Democrats didn't have any way to codify abortion rights into law. I mean, it's not like they would have attempted to use the issue as a cudgel to try to get people to vote for them in the midterms and then act surprised when they lost, right?

They attempted to do that and did not get enough votes to break the filibuster.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Not sure if i'm missing :thejoke: but that's what people said about republicans overturning roe v wade

personally i think they'd have better turnout if they delivered on their promises, or at least made an honest attempt at doing so

People have short memories. Delivering on promises is good for the next election. Letting the issues remain a problem works every single time.

If the GOP were smart at winning elections they would find the 10 GOP senators least likely to face blowback over codifying abortion rights, and offer it up to the Democrats, taking it off the table for 2024. That alone probably wins them the presidency in 2024.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

It's not even slightly surprising. They had 48 votes for overturning the filibuster to codify Roe, and they gained less than two seats in the midterms, which means they still have fewer than 50 votes for it. It's simple arithmetic.

It's not like they kept it a secret, either. The administration was very open going into this election that they needed to gain two seats to get to 50 votes.

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1573361187491921920
https://twitter.com/KamalaHarris/status/1589315428114907139

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

It's a shame President Biden didn't learn about how the senate works in his what like 40 years in it? Because he's been very clear: two more senators gets us abortion rights:

https://mobile.twitter.com/joebiden/status/1584556593978408964

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/23/biden-promises-to-codify-roe-if-two-more-democrats-are-elected-to-the-senate.html

https://apnews.com/article/biden-congress-joe-manchin-kyrsten-sinema-los-angeles-23996d96d891503e0b868396b0ff3792

I guess someone tricked him.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

It's a shame President Biden didn't learn about how the senate works in his what like 40 years in it? Because he's been very clear: two more senators gets us abortion rights:

https://mobile.twitter.com/joebiden/status/1584556593978408964

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/23/biden-promises-to-codify-roe-if-two-more-democrats-are-elected-to-the-senate.html

https://apnews.com/article/biden-congress-joe-manchin-kyrsten-sinema-los-angeles-23996d96d891503e0b868396b0ff3792

I guess someone tricked him.

He only got one more senator. One is less than Two. Hope that helps

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's pretty easy to make a promise when you set a condition for that promise that's very likely not gonna happen. Did anyone seriously think that dems would gain 2 senators *and* keep control of the house?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Republicans actually believe their spiel. Maybe banning abortion was just a flag to rally around in the 1970s because religious schools had to pay tax if they stayed segregated, but after 40 years of the drumbeat, most of them are ride or die, to the point no party figure can ever rise if they don't howl the same tune and push it when in power.

Meanwhile, Democrats are forever afraid of scaring their donors, spooking the conservatives in their party, and thus freely allow and praise the 'pro life' members of the party, to the point of putting them on the presidential loving ticket.

Sometimes people actually believe the insane/evil poo poo they say.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Charlz Guybon posted:

He only got one more senator. One is less than Two. Hope that helps

Yeah I'm realizing now that I forgot to quote FlamingLiberal's post that they need 60 senators for abortion, which mine was intended to be in reply to. Posting error.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Queering Wheel posted:

This bill looks pretty lovely tbh? If I'm reading it right, the bill is basically like the Dobbs decision where states can straight up ban SSM again if they want to, but hey you're still free to spend your time and money driving to another state to get the marriage you want! Plus it's full of religious liberty protections which are just another hateful roadblock that same sex couples have to deal with.

Also, way to poo poo on polyamorous relationships for no reason at #4 there. Just to top it off.

I believe online marriage is a thing.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Not sure how you want them to codify abortion rights legislation when they might not control the House.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sephyr posted:

Republicans actually believe their spiel. Maybe banning abortion was just a flag to rally around in the 1970s because religious schools had to pay tax if they stayed segregated, but after 40 years of the drumbeat, most of them are ride or die, to the point no party figure can ever rise if they don't howl the same tune and push it when in power.

Meanwhile, Democrats are forever afraid of scaring their donors, spooking the conservatives in their party, and thus freely allow and praise the 'pro life' members of the party, to the point of putting them on the presidential loving ticket.

Sometimes people actually believe the insane/evil poo poo they say.

It's hard to say what anyone in congress REALLY believes, but I'd attribute your first paragraph to stricter party discipline in th GOP rather than faith in the party platform. Democrats havent been unified in their party platform--pro-life TX rep henry cuellar and his endorsement by pelosi comes to mind--but there are some issues that seem non-negotiable. Funding/support for Israel and Ukraine are two examples

I'd say that republicans do seem more open to wackjobs and "less-qualified" candidates, so long as they adhere to the party platform

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ravenfood posted:

Not sure how you want them to codify abortion rights legislation when they might not control the House.

They control the house for the next couple months, no?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

And Manchin and Sinema are the 49th and 50th votes for the next couple of months too.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Again, the problem isn’t the House. They don’t have enough votes in the Senate

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Again, the problem isn’t the House. They don’t have enough votes in the Senate

The problem is currently the Senate. After the new Congress gets seated the problem will likely be the House and may also still be the Senate depending on Georgia's runoff, due to the filibuster.

They do. Why do you think the outcome will be different from the last time they tried and two Democratic Senators did not vote to repeal the filibuster.?

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Ravenfood posted:

The problem is currently the Senate. After the new Congress gets seated the problem will likely be the House and may also still be the Senate depending on Georgia's runoff, due to the filibuster.

The Senate will still be a problem regardless of the outcome in Georgia unless you think one of Manchin or Sinema can be magically flipped.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Srice posted:

It's pretty easy to make a promise when you set a condition for that promise that's very likely not gonna happen. Did anyone seriously think that dems would gain 2 senators *and* keep control of the house?

Does this actually matter? Regardless of whether it was likely or not, it was the absolute minimum that would be needed in order to pass the bill. Actually, it's shooting too low - the Dems would need a few-seat margin in the House as well.

Fifty senators in favor and holding a sufficient House majority isn't some bizarre challenge the Dems invented to make progress impossible, it's the actual Constitutional requirement for passing bills.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Srice posted:

So you think politicians should not promise to pass bills once they have the numbers to actually do it? Should all policies be secret until they have the votes/majority for it to pass?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

The Senate will still be a problem regardless of the outcome in Georgia unless you think one of Manchin or Sinema can be magically flipped.

Maybe. Unlikely, but maybe. Certainly more possible than both. But also pointless since without the House it doesn't matter.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Queering Wheel posted:

yeah it's a bad bill but i guess that is what is able to pass in this climate?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

socialsecurity posted:

So you think politicians should not promise to pass bills once they have the numbers to actually do it? Should all policies be secret until they have the votes/majority for it to pass?
it's pretty clear they aren't saying that but that the promisises were not genuine because the prerequisite were not expected to be fulfilled

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

World Famous W posted:

it's pretty clear they aren't saying that but that the promisises were not genuine because the prerequisite were not expected to be fulfilled

There is also no particularly good reason whatsoever to believe that the promises were not genuine. Some people probably feel like they can freely insist that it was not genuine because they know it can't be disproven for at least 2 years.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
It's questionable whether the feds can, by law alone, prevent the states from regulating marriage how they like. The Constitution should obviously do that, and until SCOTUS was packed with unscrupulous hacks it obviously did, but doing it with a law would be a heavy lift even in front of a normal court, let alone this ridiculous one. It seems to me that the proposed bill is written so as to fall cleanly within the bounds of unquestioned federal authority and dodge the issues that are highest on the Roberts court's list of priorities for installing christofascism-- I would guess that in addition to being useful for getting ten Republicans on board, that's also the purpose of the religious liberty bits. That's extremely suboptimal, but probably the best strategy for governing with a time-limited and tenuous majority and a right-wing activist court breathing down your neck. Even if the Dems recapture majorities in 2024, this is what legislation is going to have to look like unless and until they can pack or otherwise neuter the Court.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Queering Wheel posted:

This bill looks pretty lovely tbh? If I'm reading it right, the bill is basically like the Dobbs decision where states can straight up ban SSM again if they want to, but hey you're still free to spend your time and money driving to another state to get the marriage you want!

It prevents Dobbs [Obergfell] getting overturned because it makes it getting overturned pointless. Anybody can get the authority to solemnize marriages on the internet, so you'd just have to drive 1-2 hours in any direction in almost any state in order to be legally married in your own state. You could accomplish this after breakfast and be back in time for lunch.

SCOTUS is not going to bother taking up Dobbs [Obergfell] if this law is on the books with bipartisan support.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 15, 2022

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Srice posted:

They literally almost did this. Barnes was less than 30,000 votes from winning in Wisconsin, and the GOP may have a margin of less than 5 in the house.

World Famous W posted:

Should they not be promising to do things in exchange for your vote? Isn't that how it's supposed to work? "Vote for me and I will give voters what they want". What are they supposed to campaign on if not the policies they want to enact?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Xombie posted:

It prevents Dobbs getting overturned because it makes it getting overturned pointless. Anybody can get the authority to solemnize marriages on the internet, so you'd just have to drive 1-2 hours in any direction in almost any state in order to be legally married in your own state. You could accomplish this after breakfast and be back in time for lunch.
lol, no biggie. just have a car, money and time

Xombie posted:

Should they not be promising to do things in exchange for your vote? Isn't that how it's supposed to work? "Vote for me and I will give voters what they want". What are they supposed to campaign on if not the policies they want to enact?
i wasn't adding my opinion, just helping ss to understand what someone was actually saying

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

FlamingLiberal posted:

If they insist on keeping the filibuster then no, they don’t have the 60 votes to pass abortion rights
If they get further up in the 50s, I have a sneaking suspicion they'd suddenly start believing in the sacredness of the filibuster again, just like what derailed everything when Ted Kennedy died.