Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's not the falling asleep part that's hard for me. It's the jolting awake at 2am because a raccoon is rustling around nearby and my dumb caveman brain is wondering if it's something much larger than a raccoon.

I need some kind of 360 infrared surveillance camera mounted on top of the tent so I can flip it on and know there's no threat because I lose so much sleep over the mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

In the evening I usually go as long as I can without a headlamp. It makes me feel a little more in tune with nature and all that bs. Your eyes might adjust better than you'd expect.

And tbh one of my favorite parts of the evening, after all the work of hiking and setting up camp is done, is sipping from a flask and lighting a joint of some kind (CBD usually). No phone. Just relaxing, thinking, and listening to the sounds. Sometimes you'll hear wildlife. Look for bats. The other night I saw a fox or coyote slinking around my camp. Then we got rained on for about 12 hours straight, soaking the whole floor of the tent and cutting the trip short. But I found a cool hike to do the next morning before heading home so it was still a good time.

E: I also like to bring a plant ID book, take photos of plants I spot during the day, and ID them with the book at night.

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 15, 2022

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Fitzy Fitz posted:

In the evening I usually go as long as I can without a headlamp. It makes me feel a little more in tune with nature and all that bs. Your eyes might adjust better than you'd expect.

And tbh one of my favorite parts of the evening, after all the work of hiking and setting up camp is done, is sipping from a flask and lighting a joint of some kind (CBD usually). No phone. Just relaxing, thinking, and listening to the sounds. Sometimes you'll hear wildlife. Look for bats. The other night I saw a fox or coyote slinking around my camp. Then we got rained on for about 12 hours straight, soaking the whole floor of the tent and cutting the trip short. But I found a cool hike to do the next morning before heading home so it was still a good time.

I took a short trip to do the Manistee River loop in October, and the second night I did exactly this since my hiking buddy was tired as poo poo from managing his dog all day (she did great.) We found a great spot right by the river and I just sat by the water watching the sun go down and the moon and stars come out. Drank whiskey and smoked weed and everything in the world was just perfect.

And yeah short of those more enjoyable chemical enhancements, benadryl is a must for any trip, not only for being a sleep aid but as a first aid item for allergic reactions. I have a tiny liitle pill container full of like 20 of them that i just refill once a year so I always have enough for me and my hiking partners.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Thanks for all of the encouragement. I'm going to do it, assuming it isn't raining. At worst, I have one terrible night and hike back to my car. But I plan to do the Eagle Rock Loop in Arkansas and spend 2 nights out there.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

blue squares posted:

Thanks for all of the encouragement. I'm going to do it, assuming it isn't raining. At worst, I have one terrible night and hike back to my car. But I plan to do the Eagle Rock Loop in Arkansas and spend 2 nights out there.

How good is your sleeping gear for that temp? if you are in any way nervous about it, grab a thermarest sleeping pad to double up on your normal one. they are light as hell, if bulky. Otherwise, make sure you have a hat or hoody to sleep in, and some thermal underwear and you'll be nice and toasty in your bag. I hate having to have my arms all scrunched up in my bag all night, so I wear my patagonia hooded coat in bed at those temps so I can leave my arms out for extended periods. Gloves help with that too, for the same reason.

You'll be fine, literally worst case is you have a lovely night, and then have all your gear packed away before first light and then have camp entirely broken right after dawn for an early start to the day.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

blue squares posted:

I have an upcoming solo backpacking trip and I am really nervous about it. The weather is going to be colder than I expected (high 30s/low 40s at night) and the only other time I tried solo backpacking, I turned back without even spending the night the first day, after hiking too many miles and hurting my leg. I really am not a sound sleeper even in optimal conditions at home. As the trip gets closer, I feel like maybe I like the idea of backpacking a lot more than I will actually doing it. It's going to get dark at 5:30 and then I will just be sitting in a tent for hours trying to stay warm until I get tired enough to fall asleep. Maybe I am just a perfect weather and car camper, and an avid day hiker. I guess that wouldn't be so bad.
I feel this. I think my ideal would be a UK walking tour, which in my understanding is like, you wake up at a quaint inn and have a nice breakfast, then you stroll through scenic countryside for like 6 hours, ending up at another quaint inn that oh by the way has received your luggage from the previous inn. You have the late afternoon and evening to explore the area, have a nice dinner, and then snuggle into a real hotel room. I haven't done it because I don't think it's a thing at all in the US(?), but it sounds perfect for me and my decadent taste for indoor plumbing.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 15, 2022

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

How good is your sleeping gear for that temp? if you are in any way nervous about it, grab a thermarest sleeping pad to double up on your normal one. they are light as hell, if bulky. Otherwise, make sure you have a hat or hoody to sleep in, and some thermal underwear and you'll be nice and toasty in your bag. I hate having to have my arms all scrunched up in my bag all night, so I wear my patagonia hooded coat in bed at those temps so I can leave my arms out for extended periods. Gloves help with that too, for the same reason.

You'll be fine, literally worst case is you have a lovely night, and then have all your gear packed away before first light and then have camp entirely broken right after dawn for an early start to the day.

I have a fantastic sleeping pad and pillow. All I needed was a sleeping bag. I just bought the Big Agnes Torchlight 20. I'm pretty tall and sleep on my side, and it seems like the bag is fairly roomy, so I'm looking forward to trying it out. I might also grab one of those flat foam mats to sit on during the day and to put under my mat at night. I want to have a good experience and I'm pretty fit at hiking, so I am not too worried about weight. My bigger concern is sleeping, so I am bringing all the comfort

blue squares fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 15, 2022

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

blue squares posted:

I have a fantastic sleeping pad and pillow. All I needed was a sleeping bag. I just bought the Big Agnes Torchlight 20. I'm pretty tall and sleep on my side, and it seems like the bag is fairly roomy, so I'm looking forward to trying it out. I might also grab one of those flat foam mats to sit on during the day and to put under my mat at night. I want to have a good experience and I'm pretty fit at hiking, so I am not too worried about weight. My bigger concern is sleeping, so I am bringing all the comfort

That’s a bomber bag so you shouldn’t have any problem in those temps. If you’re really pressed about it you can stop by an REI or the like and pick up a sleeping bag liner. They weigh next to nothing and pack down small, and will give you a few more degrees of wiggle room.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

blue squares posted:

The hills in Arkansas are so cool. On a road trip I spent a night in the national forest near Nimrod and another at Bear Creek Lake. It's a little far from me, but I want to get back over there.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

blue squares posted:

Another thing you can do if you're pushing close to the warm limits of your bag is to just sleep in your clothes in the bag. You shouldn't have to do that in this case, but it can definitely buy you another 10 degrees or so of warmth in a pinch.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Putting on a fresh set of sleeping clothes is one of the best parts of the evening. I always throw on some merino wool and fresh socks.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I love merino wool. In my daily life I don't wear any underwear other than merino wool from Smartwool. I used to always be sweaty, itchy, etc with the slightest bit of heat

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Even after a long sweaty day it will make you feel somewhat clean. It's also worth it just to put something soft between you and the slick sleeping bag material.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

something between you and the bag also helps keep the bag cleaner. obviously in full summer you wont be in thermals, but once it dips to even like 50's at night i have thermals on.

I always have one set of clothes that are for in camp only. either the above thermals, or some athletic shorts and shirt, and big thick wool socks. I either swim or use some body wipes first to try and get as clean as possible, and then have those for in camp so i feel at least kinda clean all night and keep my sleeping gear as smell free as possible.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Love to bathe in a cold mountain stream like some sort of wood nymph

Morbus
May 18, 2004

blue squares posted:

I have an upcoming solo backpacking trip and I am really nervous about it. The weather is going to be colder than I expected (high 30s/low 40s at night) and the only other time I tried solo backpacking, I turned back without even spending the night the first day, after hiking too many miles and hurting my leg. I really am not a sound sleeper even in optimal conditions at home. As the trip gets closer, I feel like maybe I like the idea of backpacking a lot more than I will actually doing it. It's going to get dark at 5:30 and then I will just be sitting in a tent for hours trying to stay warm until I get tired enough to fall asleep. Maybe I am just a perfect weather and car camper, and an avid day hiker. I guess that wouldn't be so bad.

It is very possible to be absolutely warm and toasty both around camp and in bed at those temperatures, or indeed much colder. It just boils down to bringing warm enough clothes and sleep system

If you put on some dry thermals/undershirt as others have suggested, wear your pants over the thermals, and wear something like a fleece+puffy, gloves, and hat, camp somewhere reasonably sheltered from wind and have a windproof jacket if you need it...I think there is basically no way you're gonna be cold down to freezing temperatures, even just sitting down at camp doing nothing. If you wear all of that to bed, and have a good pad/bag/tent, you will 100% be too warm. With a 20 deg bag and pad with decent r-value, you will probably be very comfortable in just thermals+shirt...and if not you can throw on a jacket.

The most important thing for keeping warm is to just not get cold in the first place. I always change into my warm clothes a soon as I stop hiking and start setting up camp, and that seems to help a lot.

Apart from temperature, ear plugs can help a ton if it's just noisy or windy or whatever...highly recommend bringing some. Having a buff or something over your eyes can also help if your tent doesn't block light very well and the moon is super bright. I wouldn't worry too much about sitting around being bored at night. Just spending all day walking around outside may make you tired enough to be pretty sleepy once it gets dark anyway. If not...a plus side of bringing enough clothes to easily keep warm around camp is that you can just chill out, look at stars, try to do some night photography, go for a walk, whatever. You don't have to huddle in your tent unless you want to.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ear plugs and eye mask are a godsend. And yeah a set of nice dry clothes to sleep in are a necessity.

I've been staying in huts in the Alps recently and they require you to sleep in a sleeping bag liner. I got one of the silk ones because I wanted to carry as little weight as possible but drat that's a nice thing to sleep in, may be worth looking at if you need a bit of extra comfort, OP.

If it does get unexpectedly cold, a hat adds a huge amount of warmth at night, and if you're really feeling the cold a buff over your face acts like a heat exchanger.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Buff and earplugs sleeper here too. I'll pull the buff over my mouth/nose if it's cold and eyes if it's bright.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Like 40% of the heat in our body escapes through the neck/head so yeah a toque is a big deal. A buff helps too but I like a proper scarf, they trap heat insanely well.

(edit - a quick google says 40% is an old wives tale, but I guess it doesn't change that a hat and scarf adds a lot of comfort)

xzzy fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 15, 2022

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

knox_harrington posted:

Ear plugs and eye mask are a godsend. And yeah a set of nice dry clothes to sleep in are a necessity.

I've been staying in huts in the Alps recently and they require you to sleep in a sleeping bag liner. I got one of the silk ones because I wanted to carry as little weight as possible but drat that's a nice thing to sleep in, may be worth looking at if you need a bit of extra comfort, OP.

If it does get unexpectedly cold, a hat adds a huge amount of warmth at night, and if you're really feeling the cold a buff over your face acts like a heat exchanger.

Do most of those almshütte have a wood stove? Or are you sleeping in some schutzhütte?

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Was somehow able to get the REI membership discount on the already on sale Cotopaxi Allpa 35L in person, coming out to a cool 127 give or take after tax. But I'm still not sure I want to keep it, still trying to figure out the best pack for a future trip to JP.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

xzzy posted:

Like 40% of the heat in our body escapes through the neck/head so yeah a toque is a big deal. A buff helps too but I like a proper scarf, they trap heat insanely well.

(edit - a quick google says 40% is an old wives tale, but I guess it doesn't change that a hat and scarf adds a lot of comfort)

Your head isn't a very good radiator of heat (compared to say your forearms) because it's a big sphere with most major blood vessels not near the surface.

That being said, if you're wearing a big down jacket, thermals, pants, warm socks, boots, gloves....and just the hair on your head, then obviously most of the heat leaving your body is gonna be leaving that way, and putting on a warm hat is gonna make a big difference.

Robot Arms
Sep 19, 2008

R!

blue squares posted:

When I decided to get back into backpacking last year I was really nervous to go the first time. Nearly backed out. My anxiety kicked into high gear in the shuttle to the trailhead, too. But I had the best time. It started pouring rain as we pulled into the trailhead, and 20 minutes later I was completely soaked because I didn't think I'd need rain pants. As soon as I realized it wasn't likely to get any worse, my anxiety lifted and I had a smile pasted on my face for the next four days. (I did a bunch of video messages for my family back home, and in each one I've got a huge smile on, even when I was filming myself in the pouring rain.)

The first trip is hard. Or the second trip when your first one didn't go well. But go! You'll probably have a great time, and then the next trip you'll just be looking forward to it. That's me now. I've done half (150 miles) of the Superior Hiking Trail and I can't wait to get back on the trail. None of the anxiety I had on my first trip.

As for what to do in the evenings, most of my evenings on the trail are setting up camp, laying around for a bit and stretching, then making dinner. After dinner I usually end up in my tent, where I sit and listen to the forest, read a book on my Kindle, then go to sleep early.

If you have trouble sleeping, hike further! When you're worn out it's pretty hard not to sleep well. Although for me at least, I never sleep all that well on the first night. It's the following nights that I really pass out and sleep well.

I hope some of that helps!

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Does anyone have any experience hiking with camera equipment (like a DSLR and some lenses, not just a cell phone.) I want to go in a couple day hikes on the Olympic Peninsula in WA state. Wondering what's the best way to pack. I am a novice hiker.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

LiterallyATomato posted:

Does anyone have any experience hiking with camera equipment (like a DSLR and some lenses, not just a cell phone.) I want to go in a couple day hikes on the Olympic Peninsula in WA state. Wondering what's the best way to pack. I am a novice hiker.

I often hike and even climb with a Sony a7riv and a total of three lenses. Most of the time I have the two extra lenses in padded zipper cases in ny pack and the camera on a peak design clip on my backpack strap, but sometimes I have the camera in a padded case too. Aside from being extra weight, it's never really been an issue. Even less often I'll bring a tripod as well, but again - extra weight.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Day hikes are pretty easy, just get a decent frame pack to stuff all your gear in, preferably one with a zippered back so you can access your storage cubes (such as the shimoda options). Bring snacks and whatever layers you'll need for conditions. I routinely go out with 15+ pounds of camera gear and there's no magic to it, if the bag fits well you can do 15 miles without feeling overloaded.

The hardest part is the tripod. Make sure your bag has a convenient way of lashing it to the exterior. Lashing to the sides is the most common, but if it's heavy it's gonna unbalance the bag so counter that by putting heavy lenses on the other side. Lashing to the middle is more balanced but makes the bag feel heavier because it's further from your body.

If you're a sunrise/sunset chaser make sure to get a good headlamp. You're gonna be hiking in the dark so do what you can to make it comfortable.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

LiterallyATomato posted:

Get a padded divider insert and add it to your pack. I have one from Incase I love. A comfortable cross body strap is my favorite way to actually carry the camera out of pack, but some people like the clips that attach to your backpack straps and lock via a tripod mount mechanism. I don't like those because they sway a lot with a camera of any real weight (which is any DSLR really).

Though my standard way is to just take the camera and a single lens and wrap it in a Merino layer in my pack.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

xzzy posted:

Day hikes are pretty easy, just get a decent frame pack to stuff all your gear in, preferably one with a zippered back so you can access your storage cubes (such as the shimoda options). Bring snacks and whatever layers you'll need for conditions. I routinely go out with 15+ pounds of camera gear and there's no magic to it, if the bag fits well you can do 15 miles without feeling overloaded.

The hardest part is the tripod. Make sure your bag has a convenient way of lashing it to the exterior. Lashing to the sides is the most common, but if it's heavy it's gonna unbalance the bag so counter that by putting heavy lenses on the other side. Lashing to the middle is more balanced but makes the bag feel heavier because it's further from your body.

If you're a sunrise/sunset chaser make sure to get a good headlamp. You're gonna be hiking in the dark so do what you can to make it comfortable.

they do make hiking poles with camera mounts on the handles as well. I am not much of a photographer yet but I am aware of them as an option for a monopod.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

they do make hiking poles with camera mounts on the handles as well. I am not much of a photographer yet but I am aware of them as an option for a monopod.

Yeah, I've got one option on my shopping list next time I need a tripod.. the field optics promax. But my current legs have a lot of life left in them so it's a ways down the road.

There was another company out there making them that I've forgotten the name of.. I think it was German company.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

One more question: why the different packs for men and women? I ask because I'm a trans woman, so I have breasts but still a very wide, masculine frame. I have an old men's backpack I haven't used since before transitioning, but should I look into a women's?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

LiterallyATomato posted:

One more question: why the different packs for men and women? I ask because I'm a trans woman, so I have breasts but still a very wide, masculine frame. I have an old men's backpack I haven't used since before transitioning, but should I look into a women's?

AFAIK its based on averages on men/women's body types, so women's packs will have differently angled straps that are also narrower, narrower hip belts, etc. I'd say look for either a unisex or men's pack, as it will more likely fit your frame. Plenty of cis women use men's packs anyway as often they just arbitrarily have lower weight limits/size.

REI will let you try on a bunch of packs, so if one is near you I would suggest heading over to try them on. Cis women also can have wider shoulders and whatnot so you should not need to worry about asking about trying both to figure out what works for you.

If backpacking becomes a hobby you really enjoy, a lot of boutique makers for high quality options are mostly unisex anyway, or offer excellent customization if you are looking for some features included in both men's or women's packs.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The main thing for fit is torso size, so as long as you get an appropriate length you should be good to go. If you try on various packs, be sure to actually put some gear and weight in each of them while you do it, as that will change the fit and feel to actual carry conditions you’ll be experiencing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

The main thing for fit is torso size, so as long as you get an appropriate length you should be good to go. If you try on various packs, be sure to actually put some gear and weight in each of them while you do it, as that will change the fit and feel to actual carry conditions you’ll be experiencing.

REI is insanely helpful with this too, as they will load up a bag for you and let you carry it around the store.

I guess that's less helpful if there isn't an REI nearby, so hopefully whatever outfitter is nearby is as helpful.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
The other thing to note, most women have shorter torsos and men usually longer. A lot of (but not all) shoulder straps on women's packs are designed with breasts in mind. The first measurement I would look at when buying a pack is torso length, regardless of the gender specified for that pack. That's the biggest fitment issue you'll want to get right. There are guides on rei.com how to measure that fit.

Many framed packs from reputable brands are adjustable for torso length now, but not all. Osprey Atmos (aura is women's version) packs for example come in 2-3 sizes but also has a vertical torso adjustment to fit a range within that size to really nail the fit. I believe you can also purchase a different waist belt as well if the stock belt is too small/large.

I've had a variety of packs in my life and I'll say that I love osprey, especially my atmos. It's the first pack that fit me so perfectly, I wondered why I didn't buy one sooner. Their customer service is second to none, they have so many features and perform great. They're not ultralight and they're not cheap but you'll likely stop hiking before wearing it out. The difference between a $160 pack and a $250 pack is pretty big. 10 years of owning a lovely pack makes the price difference seem like nothing.

I too suggest going to an REI if you have one nearby for a fit. If not, see if you have a similar outdoor store nearby. Someone who knows how to fit a pack properly will make every single one of your trail miles more enjoyable and the money is very well spent on a nice pack.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

LiterallyATomato posted:

I like the peak design clips. They are the least bad solution to carrying a camera while hiking, imo. Anything else either has the camera someplace not very handy, or has straps that interfere with backpacks/jackets/harness/whatever, or doesn't secure the camera very well. If camera sway is a problem, the solution is either to reinforce the straps so they are more rigid, and/or wear the pack so there is less slack in the shoulder straps. It's not gonna be great if you've got a huge telephoto lens and insist on carrying the camera with it attached, but in that case, there is no great solution.

Lenses are easy enough to carry in their own padded case inside the pack. If you want to be faster about it you can get lens holder pouches to put on a belt or shoulder strap or whatever but, honestly, if being able to quickly take photos outdoors is important, lens changes are not the way to do it. I've always just taken out my lens bag, set it down near whatever I'm doing, and fetch the lenses I need from it when I want to change. If I'm hiking and shooting I just pick a lens and stick with it for the most part.

Tripods are easy enough to carry via whatever external attachment stuff your pack has, but its something to consider when buying packs. I almost never bring one anymore, since most of what I am shooting is in broad daylight with wide lenses. "Serious photography" tripods are just too god damned heavy.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Morbus posted:

I like the peak design clips. They are the least bad solution to carrying a camera while hiking, imo. Anything else either has the camera someplace not very handy, or has straps that interfere with backpacks/jackets/harness/whatever, or doesn't secure the camera very well. If camera sway is a problem, the solution is either to reinforce the straps so they are more rigid, and/or wear the pack so there is less slack in the shoulder straps. It's not gonna be great if you've got a huge telephoto lens and insist on carrying the camera with it attached, but in that case, there is no great solution.

Lenses are easy enough to carry in their own padded case inside the pack. If you want to be faster about it you can get lens holder pouches to put on a belt or shoulder strap or whatever but, honestly, if being able to quickly take photos outdoors is important, lens changes are not the way to do it. I've always just taken out my lens bag, set it down near whatever I'm doing, and fetch the lenses I need from it when I want to change. If I'm hiking and shooting I just pick a lens and stick with it for the most part.

Tripods are easy enough to carry via whatever external attachment stuff your pack has, but its something to consider when buying packs. I almost never bring one anymore, since most of what I am shooting is in broad daylight with wide lenses. "Serious photography" tripods are just too god damned heavy.

Peak Design also make a thing they call a "pro pad" that lets you put a capture clip on a belt. I intend to get one so that I can clip my camera to my climbing harness via a capture clip, but I haven't tried it out yet. It's another option worth noting if hanging the camera on your bag strap is bothersome for some reason. I kind of like having it there when hiking because it counterbalances some of the backpack weight and it's also easily accessible if something (wildlife typically) shows up unexpectedly on the trail.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't bother hiking with my camera out because I sound like a dump truck rolling through the forest, scaring every living creature off before I can see them.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I stopped carrying a camera anymore because my friends aren't photographers and the shots I want take time that they aren't going to spend waiting around for me. At most I carry my phone or an rx100iii. Plus it's a bunch of extra weight for backpacking. Day hikes are a little different.

The other thing is my passion for photography while backpacking has really dwindled. I work as a professional creative for my day job and have zero motivation to come home and jump on my computer but that's my issue.

If I were to do it again, I would get padded photo inserts for a pack I already like. Most photo based packs have great camera storage but suffer in other ways where I wouldn't want to deal with. I would rather adapt a great backpacking pack and store my stuff in it than have a great camera pack that's a mediocre backpack.

My first instinct is a peak design clip. If you're walking around with a decent camera and lens (Sony a7iii & sigma art 24-70 2.8) I might consider a padded chest camera pouch. As said by someone else, it will help balance your pack and it will be readily available.

I hate a hanging camera while hiking because it bounces with every step. Having it secure is nice.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Yeah, I literally carry a Sony a7riv and Sony FE 24-70 GM ii on a Peak Design clip on my backpack strap.  Most of the time if I'm bringing a camera on a hike it's because I'm hiking in to climb something, at which point I end up hauling it up in a padded bag and shooting while suspended from a rope for a few hours.  I have a padded chest camera bag, but I only really use it if I'm actively climbing with the camera on me and a bunch of trad gear racked on my harness.  The peak design clips are super solid and I have no concerns about it hanging there on a bag strap while hiking.  I took it up Monitor Ridge on Mt. St. Helens in the middle of the night like that without incident.

(Mt. Adams at sunrise from just below the rim on Helens)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
What lens/lenses do you bother to bring? Last time I backpacked on Mount Whitney, I brought an 18-200 lens and my Peak Design carbon fiber tripod in its lightweight short configuration.

Edit: oh duh, I realized you already said, you bring the 24-70. I think that seems like a good range, I didn't find myself using the 200 end much, though it was nice at times to help frame up a shot differently. I suppose I could've achieved the same thing with less weight by just cropping in post given how many megapixels we have these days.

Sunrise from Trail Camp, Mount Whitney

Muir fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 18, 2022