Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

kazil posted:

Step 1: Fire 50-75% of all farmers

Step 2: Store all eggs in a single basket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He would build solar powered vertical farms in the desert but probably forget they need things like water, nutrients and transport infrastructure. Then he would try and transport everything in teslas.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Waiting for Elon to tweet about how to open pdf

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

MikeJF posted:

His solution will no doubt involve self driving food transport.

Drone cargo ships costing twice that of a human crew crashing into docks and icebergs. Automated loaders dumping wheat into oil tanker holds. Foragebots harvesting two legged game in 'certain neighborhoods' of Johannesburg (later found to be a deliberate introduction of bad code).

He'd arrive at the Soylent green solution within a week

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Someone put together a thread with a timeline of what's gone on in the last week or so, there's a few things in there I hadn't seen.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1592317592966168576

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Nm

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Outrail posted:

Drone cargo ships costing twice that of a human crew crashing into docks and icebergs. Automated loaders dumping wheat into oil tanker holds. Foragebots harvesting two legged game in 'certain neighborhoods' of Johannesburg (later found to be a deliberate introduction of bad code).

He'd arrive at the Soylent green solution within a week

But it’s not bad code if it’s doing exactly what it was programmed to do?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

"They can't crash because they're not programmed that way!"

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 15, 2022

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Icon Of Sin posted:

But it’s not bad code if it’s doing exactly what it was programmed to do?

They shouldn't have limited themselves to those neighbourhoods.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
SMARTEST MAN ON THE PLANET

https://twitter.com/dennisbhooper/status/1592247212230160384?s=20&t=Q23_KYa0b8bff69CFZoyog

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
surely a racist wouldnt want to eat non white people? i mean they could, but wouldnt other racist cannibals look at it like scat eaters?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
also isnt the current Rick and Mort season literally about how Rick is in fact not the smartest thing in the multiverse and he even made a supa science space barrier hugbox/safespace to enforce the condition "smartest person in the universe" because he's a big baby.

Hatsune Mike
Oct 9, 2013

Squibbles posted:

Also found some leaked footage of someone explaining twitter's architecture to Elon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8OnoxKotPQ
thank you i had not heard of this channel but it is destroying me

it is almost like i didn't move out of the bay area

i'm back

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Pookah posted:

I have no ability to actually parse what all the errors/warnings that twitter is throwing up when you bring up the developer tools (I'm using firefox) and look at the console tab, but there appear to be a hell of a lot more of them than there were 2 days ago.

it might just be because you have adblock on

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Elon Musk: when the FNG is also the CEO

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

PhazonLink posted:

surely a racist wouldnt want to eat non white people? i mean they could, but wouldnt other racist cannibals look at it like scat eaters?

Make a white hierarchy where you rank us best to worst, using whatever weird race science rules the Federal Klavern of American Dragon Wizards agree on, then people are allowed to "contract" those below them in the hierarchy to provide meat for sustenance. We could all get on Teams group chat and brag about how much more of ourselves we're sacrificing for our jobs, just like now, but in a 1970s scifi, heavy handed metaphor, kind of way. "Yep, thanks to my dedication I was able to get the family a below ground pool... can't use it myself, since Gavin McInnes ate my legs, but the point is I have it."

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Just lollin at the guy who works at twitter explaining in excruciating detail why twitter on Android "runs badly" And all the Elon dick riders coming out to @elon musk: WOW THIS GUY HAS AN ATTITUDE PROBLEM YOU SHOULD FIRE HIM!!!!! NOTICE ME SENPAI!!!!

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
https://twitter.com/EsqTim/status/1547047570425380864

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Squibbles posted:

They consulted a lot of people in the industry to make the show so it doesn't surprise me that it's surprisingly realistic. Apparently they talked to venture capital people and actually had to lower the dollar amounts they get for the company in the first season because the amount the VC's said they would be given was just not believable by an audience.

Also found some leaked footage of someone explaining twitter's architecture to Elon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8OnoxKotPQ

This excerpt from the New Yorker article about the show is one of my favourites https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/how-silicon-valley-nails-silicon-valley

quote:

During one visit to Google’s headquarters, in Mountain View, about six writers sat in a conference room with Astro Teller, the head of GoogleX, who wore a midi ring and kept his long hair in a ponytail. “Most of our research meetings are fun, but this one was uncomfortable,” Kemper told me. GoogleX is the company’s “moonshot factory,” devoted to projects, such as self-driving cars, that are difficult to build but might have monumental impact. Hooli, a multibillion-dollar company on “Silicon Valley,” bears a singular resemblance to Google. (The Google founder Larry Page, in Fortune: “We’d like to have a bigger impact on the world by doing more things.” Hooli’s C.E.O., in season two: “I don’t want to live in a world where someone makes the world a better place better than we do.”) The previous season, Hooli had launched HooliXYZ, its own “moonshot factory,” whose experiments were slapstick absurdities: monkeys who use bionic arms to masturbate; powerful cannons for launching potatoes across a room. “He claimed he hadn’t seen the show, and then he referred many times to specific things that had happened on the show,” Kemper said. “His message was, ‘We don’t do stupid things here. We do things that actually are going to change the world, whether you choose to make fun of that or not.’ ” (Teller could not be reached for comment.)

Teller ended the meeting by standing up in a huff, but his attempt at a dramatic exit was marred by the fact that he was wearing Rollerblades. He wobbled to the door in silence. “Then there was this awkward moment of him fumbling with his I.D. badge, trying to get the door to open,” Kemper said. “It felt like it lasted an hour. We were all trying not to laugh. Even while it was happening, I knew we were all thinking the same thing: Can we use this?” In the end, the joke was deemed “too hacky to use on the show.”

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
I am a petty and jealous man and the thought of him getting Grimes pregnant is too much to bear.

Also lol.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Bobcats posted:

I am a petty and jealous man and the thought of him getting Grimes pregnant is too much to bear.

Also lol.

The Grimes that was gonna kill herself in one of the dumbest know-nothing hipster misadventures ever?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

She is a collosally stupid woman from all appearances, it's kind of impressive really

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
"Grimes" is one of those ironic names, right?

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Jippa posted:

"Grimes" is one of those ironic names, right?

Based on photos and her music. I would say it is pretty descriptive.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

Waiting for Elon to tweet about how to open pdf

its like that gimmick either wint or dasharez0ne did where they type a google search in to twitter by accident except he keeps actually doing it

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

SwimNurd posted:

Based on photos and her music. I would say it is pretty descriptive.

Nominative determinism strikes again!

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Head of “Code Aesthetics” sacked by the Boer

https://twitter.com/thinkingfish/status/1592522358581264384

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
https://twitter.com/thinkingfish/status/1590814677936017408

Not wrong.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

yeah if I was at Twitter right now I'd be leaning hard into making him fire me today

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I'd be making fun of him publicly. Go ahead, get me on those sweet sweet California unemployment benefits, you contemptible toad man

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

MrQwerty posted:

yeah if I was at Twitter right now I'd be leaning hard into making him fire me today

loudly watching netflix with code typer up? http://www.aniket.co/labs/codetyper/

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm not up on my big programmer hierarchy titles. Code aesthetics = Refactoring lead? Internal style manager?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/christapeterso/status/1592215847358996485

I'm still in awe at how Musk's thinking really went:

1. "The twitter app is slow because it executes 1200 RPCs on startup" (this appears to be false)
2. "Twitter has approximately the same number of microservices running in its backend" (this seems unlikely, unless he's referring to individual machines)
3. "Therefore, the number of microservices determines the number of RPCs" (this seems very wrong unless Twitter architecture is truly ludicrous)
4. "Therefore, by just shutting down microservices we will directly improve app performance" (this is just completely insane)

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

goatface posted:

I'm not up on my big programmer hierarchy titles. Code aesthetics = Refactoring lead? Internal style manager?

Sounds like he knew what he was doing

https://twitter.com/igb/status/1592535397984514048

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Robo Reagan posted:

its like that gimmick either wint or dasharez0ne did where they type a google search in to twitter by accident except he keeps actually doing it

Sex gifs

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I feel like Elon's gotta be firing these people thinking smugly about how they'll never work again because Elon Musk, Cool Billionaire Guy, fired them so clearly nobody else will want to hire them, and that'll make the other employees behave and stop complaining.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

so remind me california's at will and he can basically do that right? it would be funny if the boss of twitter has to argue in court that he had cause to fire an employee cause he argued with him on twitter

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

goatface posted:

Those sorts of joke job titles can be interpretive.

I’d assume he was a very influential programmer on the backend and also worked on some of the API. Probably a prolific and respected code reviewer.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I feel like Elon's gotta be firing these people thinking smugly about how they'll never work again because Elon Musk, Cool Billionaire Guy, fired them so clearly nobody else will want to hire them, and that'll make the other employees behave and stop complaining.

He's probably thinking of all the money the company is saving by not paying their salary!

And you don't have to cook a lunch for him anymore, even more savings!

Business genius!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

she almost died of malnutrition as well when toying with the idea of a diet that consisted of only spaghetti?