Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I blasted through the MQ and broken steel dlc first on this F3 run, and I think that's the way to go. The stuff BS adds to the main map livens it up a bit.

The little recap video when you beat the original MQ is gonna be a little underwhelming though

hawowanlawow fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Does Downtown Boston in FO4 still brick your console with the new patch?

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Morality_Police posted:

Yeah, that's the exact thing I'm wondering. If I make robot settlers with the Machinist DLC, can they act as caravans? Basically, I want a run with just me and my various robot minions, no settlers, no human companions. Dogmeat is cool though, he can hang with me and my robots.
Yes you can. I did this and then later came across a battle where a bunch of hapless raiders were getting loving annihilated by a ridiculously over-armed sentry bot and it took me a moment to recognize that it was one of the caravan bots I'd built giving the good news to some schmucks that had the misfortune to get in its way.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land

Peyote Panda posted:

Yes you can. I did this and then later came across a battle where a bunch of hapless raiders were getting loving annihilated by a ridiculously over-armed sentry bot and it took me a moment to recognize that it was one of the caravan bots I'd built giving the good news to some schmucks that had the misfortune to get in its way.

This is the sort of experience that keeps me coming back to Fallout 4, even years later.

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012

Morality_Police posted:

All this FO4 talk has me thinking about something I wanted to try but never did - I love building settlements, but hate settlers, for the most part. You could absolutely do a run with 0 human settlers, and just build a robot for each settlement to act as a supply runner to connect their shared storage capacity, right?

Edit: as long as you don't build a recruitment beacon, no humans should ever show up, right? I know a few settlements start with one or two people, but I could just send them all to sanctuary to live in the ruins with Preston and his merry band of idiots, so long as I don't have more people turning up of their own volition.

Yeah, my supply network is all sentry bots just rolling around and murdering anything. And if you do not build a beacon, no one is going to show up. Robots will decrease the overall happiness of your settlement, if you are worried about that, but they won't ever get less happy.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Late to praise our robot overlords underclass, but they're *wonderful* for supply lines. I prefer to run fully-pimped Sentry Bots, and occasionally you'll come by after or during a provisioner run that routed through Quincy or by the National Guard Training Center and see your lil' tin buddy massacring everyone.

Leave the flesh units to toil in the mines and factories (Sim Settlements), WILLIE_LUMPKIN_04 is delivering the mail with extreme prejuidice.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

The only robot I ever built in a FO4 run was a sentrybot with a construction-protectron head, painted hazard yellow, named "SAFETYBOT" whose job was to protect my sprawling arms factory and Smiling Larry's gun shop at Starlight Cinemas, and watching SAFETYBOT solo huge waves of feral ghoul attackers during settlement attacks was always really fun to watch. In hindsight I'm sort of baffled that it never occurred to me to build him some brothers to run caravans for me.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

To anyone inspired to make bot settlement provisioneers: Do not put sentry bot legs on Ada, because she'll get stuck every 15 feet in the final Automatron dungeon. Give her thrusters and save the sentry legs for your homemade bots.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Weirdly, the best legs are Protectron IMO. They have huge carry capacity and their combat routine is to trundle slowly forward guns blazing. Pair this with a decent accuracy head like a Mr. Handy eye and they'll just gun down everything.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
I just wanted to throw a Handy body onto the Sentry legs.

(There's probably a mod for that.)

That, and make unholy abominations of robots/synth parts.

(There's almost certainly a LoversLab mod for that.)

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Castor Poe posted:

Are you using this word wrong? Because bricking your console would mean it would permanently destroy the console, and I don't think I have ever heard of that happening.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Got free "1st" with Game Pass, so started playing again, doing "every run is a supply run" so I can get as much crap in the scrapbox before I lose it again.

Also discovered my preferred playstyle is "sneaky bastard", I've got the Stealh Armor now and all the weapons I use are equipped with suppressors. Trying to get mods/plans for stealth boys for power armors so I can start using those maybe.

Oh, is there anyone on Xbox that might be willing to connect up with me and off themselves so I can revive and get the drat "Kindness" badge? I've been doing events but everyone else seems pretty OP at this point and never die.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Ygolonac posted:

That, and make unholy abominations of robots/synth parts.

(There's almost certainly a LoversLab mod for that.)

Now I kinda want to do a completely cursed LoversLab FO4 run, just to see what kind of "this must have been coded one handed" levels of awful you can find.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

cheesetriangles posted:

Are you using this word wrong? Because bricking your console would mean it would permanently destroy the console, and I don't think I have ever heard of that happening.

poo poo my bad, I meant freeze. Sorry!

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Now I kinda want to do a completely cursed LoversLab FO4 run, just to see what kind of "this must have been coded one handed" levels of awful you can find.

Considering the stuff getting posted/linked in the FO4/Skyrim modding thread and the "dear god what is this poo poo" mod thread (back when I was following them), and things I randomly stumbled across, I suspect the description of a Call of Cthulhu game will be accurate:

"...where the reward is a musty old book that drives you insane just looking at the pictures."

Goonspeed, you poor bastard!

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Thanks again for the tips, Whitesprings had a lot of interesting stuff for sale when I get the caps together. Also, my vendor was reasonably active after I realized I needed to plug it in. :sweatdrop:

Any opinions of the most popular ammo type to sell? I will probably put most of my found ammo I'm not using in there, but I also have a lot of gunpowder that is taking up a surprising amount of stash space, so whatever sells would be a great use for it. Ideally, it would be one of the higher yield recipes. I think the .556 gets like 100 rounds per craft.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
.45 would probably sell best. 5.56 is fine, but I rarely ran my assault rifle until recently, it just doesn't have the Fixer vibe and damage.

People love their fixers. I see notably fewer assault rifles in events. Kinda depends on how your legendary rolls play out, but fixers in .45 are common as hell. I'm only running my assault rifle now because I had 10k rounds built up and rerolled legendary until I got explosive suppressor.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Ammo isn't as good a sell as it used to be.

The ammo converter is garbage in terms of UI but certain ammo types are excellent to dump into it and trade it for .45 or whatever else you might need.

The contextual ammo system in DOs or during Expeditions is great for this, especially if you use a Railway Rifle as that gives you hundreds and hundreds of spikes each run. 300 spikes equal 1000 points. There are better ammo types in terms of trade in ratio but spikes are the fastest to amass as you tend to come out with up to a thousand more then what you went in with.

As for what to sell, .38 is the underrated one here. A lot of people, including myself, use a .38 chambered Fixer as daily driver.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
really wish the ammo machine just had a "convert all ammo of this type" rather than the awful trash it is now.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

NofrikinfuN posted:

Thanks again for the tips, Whitesprings had a lot of interesting stuff for sale when I get the caps together. Also, my vendor was reasonably active after I realized I needed to plug it in. :sweatdrop:

Any opinions of the most popular ammo type to sell? I will probably put most of my found ammo I'm not using in there, but I also have a lot of gunpowder that is taking up a surprising amount of stash space, so whatever sells would be a great use for it. Ideally, it would be one of the higher yield recipes. I think the .556 gets like 100 rounds per craft.

Your best bet is to get 3 ranks of the ammo weight perk and hold onto it until you can feed it into the converter. If you're level 50, making almost arbitrary quantities of ammo becomes 100% trivial. Do a handful of collision course missions at the airport and scrap the prewar cash for cloth, do the acid route to get acid, then hit up lucky hole mine, throw on your Excavator PA and mine out all the lead nodes. Do a run or two at WestTek for weapons to scrap to get plastic/steel, and you now have enough mats to make a few thousand rounds of ammo pretty easily.

At a certain point, making your weapons ultracite actually saves you cash, as the regular .45 recipe gives you 21 rounds with the normal perks, but the ultracite one gives you 67, but costs 1 ultracite and 1 flux, which are <100 caps in most player vendors.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Castor Poe posted:

did a double take when I saw this post. "I don't remember posting this"

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
LEgacies will be removed with the next big update. They're already removed from the PTS

Its about time, but as someone who owns 2 different explosive gatling plasmas, 2 exploding lasers, and 3 different exploding flamers, goddamn will it suck returning to normal guns.

I feel bad for people who traded for them, their price was high and alot of people grinded hard to get enough trading pieces to make it work.

Edit: This change should be coming with a rebalancing of all weapons tbh. Theres so many potential builds that arent used because they just dont put out enough amount of damage. It's one thing about nuclear winter I miss, double barrel shotties and pistols were able to be part of the meta because it was actually balancedish.

the unabonger fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 15, 2022

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Bosses are going to take forever to kill. Can't wait

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

i flunked out posted:

LEgacies will be removed with the next big update. They're already removed from the PTS
Edit: This change should be coming with a rebalancing of all weapons tbh. Theres so many potential builds that arent used because they just dont put out enough amount of damage. It's one thing about nuclear winter I miss, double barrel shotties and pistols were able to be part of the meta because it was actually balancedish.
Are they doing anything to Bloodied builds? I just started using them.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Roman posted:

Are they doing anything to Bloodied builds? I just started using them.

Nope.

I mean, technically they do because most duped Legacies were of the Bloodied variety but for now they're only removing the Explosive Legendary effect and any hacked mods from weapons.

Days of the Orbital Strike Cannon, Mini Nuke Minigun and they like are over.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Morality_Police posted:

Yeah, that's the exact thing I'm wondering. If I make robot settlers with the Machinist DLC, can they act as caravans? Basically, I want a run with just me and my various robot minions, no settlers, no human companions. Dogmeat is cool though, he can hang with me and my robots.

I used to always do this, but found that every so often my caravan bots would reset back to the default protectron for some reason. I thought it was to do with fast travelling from one end of their route to the other while they were around, but then I ran into it on a Survival playthough so who knows :shrug:

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

quote:

Although we are playing in a post-apocalyptic world, we still want to keep that world fair, fun, and inviting to all. While you have been exploring and rebuilding, we have been working on a new system that works behind the scenes to remove illegal attachment combinations that violate the EULA to ensure that every single player is using and trading the same items and has the same advantages as you.

In today’s PTS update, we are implementing a system that will remove illegal mods attached to weapons that cannot be obtained in-game. Most players will not notice any change to their existing weapons, however, players who are in possession of a weapon with a mod that cannot be equipped naturally to the weapon may notice a damage decrease to the weapon, and the mod will no longer exist. This is intentional and does not need to be reported on the PTS Bug Reports channel in our Official Discord, but we encourage you to report anything unusual you observe outside of this change.

Does this actually mean they're removing legacies? or just the mods that can't normally be equipped?

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
From what I've heard it removed legendary prefixes that aren't supposed to be on weapons as well.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Bosses are going to take forever to kill. Can't wait

And the fights are going to be more unstable, especially as people use more grenades and fatmans

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

pokchu posted:

Does this actually mean they're removing legacies? or just the mods that can't normally be equipped?

Only the mods get removed. Note that Legendary Prefixes are, technically, mods as well as the engine treats them that way.

So, if you have a Bloodied Explosive 90% RW Gatling Plasma you will end up with a Bloodied 90% RW Gatling Plasma once this goes live.

Injected weapons get all their mods removed.

Currently, on the PTS, there is a slight problem with this in that the script that does the purging removed ALL legendary effects of named weapons. Final Word, for example, is now a .50 Cal with just a fancy name. lol

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

i flunked out posted:

Its about time, but as someone who owns 2 different explosive gatling plasmas, 2 exploding lasers, and 3 different exploding flamers, goddamn will it suck returning to normal guns.

Aww man, that's gonna be a kick in the nuts for a lot of people. I can see so many people now failing rad rumble because they aren't backstopped by three assholes with scatter laser 50 cals.

I do hope they do a balance pass for things at some point, but there is just so little content worth doing that I can't see the point.

Comedy Option: Bring back NW for the holidays!

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Vendoring has been a huge success for making caps, thanks for the tips. I've sold out of 5mm a couple times already and picked up a few thousand caps in the process. It's too bad vendors share your stash space, I keep giving missles/cannonballs etc away because they eat up too much weight. It's been kind of nice running a little shop/glue farm out of my camp.

Also, I was messing with crafting leather armor to try and pick up the shadowed mod for the arm pieces and discovered I can scrap the level 1 left arm for the same amount of material it takes to make. The right arm actually gives an extra piece of steel back. I made hundreds of leather arm pieces and scrapped them and picked up every mod.. Except shadowed. Then I got worried if I kept going I would get banned for a duping glitch. (Which would be ironic since I have the Super Duper perk equipped.)

Is shadowed leather arms particularly rare or bugged? Is it possible to pick up from level 1 arms?

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

NofrikinfuN posted:

Vendoring has been a huge success for making caps, thanks for the tips. I've sold out of 5mm a couple times already and picked up a few thousand caps in the process. It's too bad vendors share your stash space, I keep giving missles/cannonballs etc away because they eat up too much weight. It's been kind of nice running a little shop/glue farm out of my camp.

Also, I was messing with crafting leather armor to try and pick up the shadowed mod for the arm pieces and discovered I can scrap the level 1 left arm for the same amount of material it takes to make. The right arm actually gives an extra piece of steel back. I made hundreds of leather arm pieces and scrapped them and picked up every mod.. Except shadowed. Then I got worried if I kept going I would get banned for a duping glitch. (Which would be ironic since I have the Super Duper perk equipped.)

Is shadowed leather arms particularly rare or bugged? Is it possible to pick up from level 1 arms?

Shadowed can't be learned from scrapping, you need the plans for it. :)

Containers or enemies in the Toxic Valley, Savage Divide, the Mire, the Ash Heap and, of course, the Cranberry Bog can have them in or on them.

Arms, Legs and Chest are seperate plans.

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure that the plans are sold by Vendor Bots. Check both bots in Grafton as I think that these are only be sold in the Toxic Valley.

Edit:

Checked, both Grafton bots sell them.

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 16, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Just take heavy ammo you don't use (missiles, cannonballs, whatever) to your nearest train station and stuff them in a cigarette machine or suitcase or just drop them in front of the vendor bot. No reason to let it take up space in your stash while you wait for someone to pick them up for 0 caps in your vending machine.

Or give in and pay for 1st so you don't have a stash weight limit. Not worth $13/mo to me though.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Sensenmann posted:

Shadowed can't be learned from scrapping, you need the plans for it. :)

Containers or enemies in the Toxic Valley, Savage Divide, the Mire, the Ash Heap and, of course, the Cranberry Bog can have them in or on them.

Arms, Legs and Chest are seperate plans.

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure that the plans are sold by Vendor Bots. Check both bots in Grafton as I think that these are only be sold in the Toxic Valley.

Edit:

Checked, both Grafton bots sell them.

Hell, that figures. I usually check the plans at the vendor bots, I must not have spent enough time in Grafton. Thanks.

I managed to get the chest and legs through drops apparently. That or I ran out of caps and just forgot I saw the plans at a vendor in the first place.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Just take heavy ammo you don't use (missiles, cannonballs, whatever) to your nearest train station and stuff them in a cigarette machine or suitcase or just drop them in front of the vendor bot. No reason to let it take up space in your stash while you wait for someone to pick them up for 0 caps in your vending machine.

Or give in and pay for 1st so you don't have a stash weight limit. Not worth $13/mo to me though.

I've been dumping them in front of my vendor, but I have also done the station suitcase thing once I realized other people were doing that as well. I've legitimately considered Fallout 1st just because I have some extra cash at the moment, but I don't like that it feels like a pay to win in this case. I was interested in private servers, but vendoring is pretty lucrative since bots won't buy ammo. It's all a mixed bag.

If I had some friends that were into the game it would be great to run a private server, but on my own it feels weird. Like renting out a theme park or something.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

NofrikinfuN posted:

I've legitimately considered Fallout 1st just because I have some extra cash at the moment, but I don't like that it feels like a pay to win in this case. I was interested in private servers, but vendoring is pretty lucrative since bots won't buy ammo. It's all a mixed bag.

If I had some friends that were into the game it would be great to run a private server, but on my own it feels weird. Like renting out a theme park or something.

So I started paying for 1st when my wife and some friends made some noises about wanting to try 76, but without randos. As you could probably have guessed, the friends never materialized, and my wife played for a few days before deciding the camp building just made her want to put another couple hundred hours into Rimworld. Since then, I've been paying for 1st, half out of hope any of the people who said they were interested might show up, and half because the conveniences are kinda worth it to me, for now anyway.

The scrapbox is really, really helpful (not to mention Todd is giving 1st players a bottomless ammo bin as well), and the private servers are good for when I want to build or scavenge junk without interruptions, but yeah, unless you have cash to burn and you know you'd be subscribing to a dumb mmo or similar "throw your wallet in a garbage can"-tier expense with that money anyway, you're honestly fine without 1st. I'm probably getting back into FF14 now that winter is here, which means my 1st days are numbered too.

If anything, get 1st for a couple months once the ammo bin gets released (I think next month?), load up your bottomless storage bins with junk and bullets, buy some dumb cosmetics with your 1st atoms, and then bail out.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I was dumb and preordered 76 at full price.

They won't be getting another cent from me for this game. And I won't buy the next one (lol in a decade) until xbox has a discount bin sale again or it turns up on gamepass.

God, now I'm thinking about how awful the beta was, this game was such loving trash 4 years ago.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I keep thinking about all the time I've spent debating over what to keep/toss in my stash and wondering if the time gained by not having to make those decisions would be worth the price of admission.

Would I miss inventory tetris if it was gone? :ohdear:

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I was dumb and preordered 76 at full price.

They won't be getting another cent from me for this game. And I won't buy the next one (lol in a decade) until xbox has a discount bin sale again or it turns up on gamepass.

God, now I'm thinking about how awful the beta was, this game was such loving trash 4 years ago.

As someone who played it at release and who also spent a few hundred hours on it several years later, it has really improved a lot. If you are interested in it you should try it again, the awful release ruined it forever, but now it actually a pretty decent game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

NofrikinfuN posted:

I keep thinking about all the time I've spent debating over what to keep/toss in my stash and wondering if the time gained by not having to make those decisions would be worth the price of admission.

Would I miss inventory tetris if it was gone? :ohdear:

My solution to this conundrum was dumping the game.