Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Skarsnik posted:

You need to change the setting in the app preferences for awful not your browser
Yeah, in miui, as opposed to unfucked with android, that setting is at the breadcrumbs location I posted and it doesn't work anymore no matter what. But it doesn't work for any app at this point, so we're way out of the scope of this thread now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

handle
Jan 20, 2011

TontoCorazon posted:

Has there been any progress on the videos not playing unless you're actively moving the screen up and down? I know it's happening with Twitter videos but I'm getting them now from YouTube embeds as well.
What device/OS/Awful version are you using? And do you have "Autoplay embedded videos" active in Settings > Posts > Embedding? Does disabling/enabling autoplay change the behavior at all?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I think I saw a regular embedded mp4 lag today in the same way as the videos in twitter embeds.

If it turns out that a WebView/chrome update made a performance hack necessary again that I removed I'm going to scream.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

handle posted:

What device/OS/Awful version are you using? And do you have "Autoplay embedded videos" active in Settings > Posts > Embedding? Does disabling/enabling autoplay change the behavior at all?

I'm on the galaxy fold 3, I'm assuming I'm on the newest version, on the play store it shows the latest update was in August, and I don't have auto play on

Thanks

handle
Jan 20, 2011

Looke posted:

[...] downloaded the Awful app but can't seem to find a way to get it to automatically switch light/dark mode in line with my device, has this not been implemented or is something broke?
and I took that personally. Patch submitted, I'm excited about this one.

TontoCorazon posted:

I'm on the galaxy fold 3, I'm assuming I'm on the newest version, on the play store it shows the latest update was in August, and I don't have auto play on
Thank you for checking! Will try to reproduce this.

Sereri posted:

I think I saw a regular embedded mp4 lag today in the same way as the videos in twitter embeds.

If it turns out that a WebView/chrome update made a performance hack necessary again that I removed I'm going to scream.
Which performance hack was that? WebView is a fickle beast and makes me cry.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

handle posted:

Which performance hack was that? WebView is a fickle beast and makes me cry.

Should be in general.css history iirc, some voodoo that 3d-rotates the page by 0 degrees or something. I don't remember exactly what it was.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

handle posted:

Thank you!

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Am I imagining things or did spoiler tags use to just be clickable to see what's underneath them?

That doesn't happen anymore. I can still manually drag and highlight text but spoilered images, not so much.

For some reason timg tags aren't working either. I disabled them in the settings and now they just load like images which is probably fine, but it's weird, it's like the app no longer recognizes me clicking on stuff like spoiler tags or timg thumbnails.

Any idea what's up?

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

I also can't click the three dots menu next to my name to edit my post. Hence this didn't post, sorry.

handle
Jan 20, 2011

There's a bugfix coming, it's stuck in the beta test version right now because of Google shenanigans. One workaround would be to join the beta program temporarily, which should update you to version 3.8.15.

If you'd like a longer workaround:

handle posted:

As a temporary fix on my device, I was able to
  • Install Android System WebView Beta from the Play Store, which comes with the WebView DevTools app.
  • Open WebView DevTools and change the WebView provider to the beta version.
  • In the Flags tab of the WebView DevTools app, search flags for EventPath, and tap to set to Enabled.
  • Fully close and restart Awful.apk. Features should hopefully be restored.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

Awesome! Happy to know it's being fixed. Thanks for the help.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

handle posted:

There's a bugfix coming, it's stuck in the beta test version right now because of Google shenanigans. One workaround would be to join the beta program temporarily, which should update you to version 3.8.15.

If you'd like a longer workaround:

The update is stuck in review hell for a week now :toot:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Sereri posted:

I loving hate development :shepicide:

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Did the update make it through or did Elon somehow miraculously fix the stuttering Twitter video embeds by pulling plugs, smashing buttons and randomly disabling microservices?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, at this point I wouldn't work too hard on getting Twitter functionality going.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Update was rejected again, will have to open an appeal.

I'll post an APK later today with the current build so you don't have to wait for the nice people at google to find the report button that is clearly in the screenshots they sent me

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Sereri posted:

Update was rejected again, will have to open an appeal.

I'll post an APK later today with the current build so you don't have to wait for the nice people at google to find the report button that is clearly in the screenshots they sent me

Good ol' Google AI reviewing things.

Too bad there's no humans involved in the process, so that things like this don't happen.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The forums list just says "long press to add" with no forums. I feel like this happened before and there's a way to fix it but I can't remember what that is. Forcing a forum list update didn't help.

Bookmarks still work, as does the last board you read entry in the menu, which is how I navigated here.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Is the star in the top right solid or hollow?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Solid

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Tap it

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

:eyepop:

thank you

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

:siren:You can find (an updated version of) the current release here.

The link will stay active until the update goes through or, well, probably permanently if it doesn't.

You can find instructions on what you need to do to sideload the updated app on your device here. But let's be honest, if you're reading this, you probably already know how.
Please make sure during the installation that it updates the app. I don't know why it shouldn't be updating your pre-existing app, but that's the point.

Funnily enough the release notes were going to be

quote:

We are constantly working on Awful to make it worse for you. To stay up to date, make sure you continue to receive updates.
This feels a little on the nose

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Google play robot posted:

Thanks for contacting the Google Play team.

We’re reaching out in response to your recent appeal regarding our User Generated Content policy and enforcement of your app. You received an email regarding a compliance issue with your app because we have determined that your app contains or features User Generated Content (UGC).

Please note that user-generated content is content that users contribute to an app, and which is visible to or accessible by at least a subset of the app's users. This includes, but is not limited to, user profiles, comments, media, posts, etc.

As such, our guidelines require that apps containing UGC content, whether or not it is the app’s primary purpose, MUST have the following features/functionalities:

• Provide an in-app system for reporting objectionable UGC and users:
    • Allows users to report/flag potential violating content.
    • Allows users to report/flag other users for potential violations.
    • Allows users to remove/block other users for potential violations.
  • All users MUST accept the app’s terms of user/user policy provided by the developer before app usage.
  • App’s terms of user/user policy MUST define objectionable content and behaviors.
  • Implement robust, effective and ongoing UGC moderation, as is reasonable and consistent with the type of UGC hosted by the app.

Step 1 - Check what's missing in the required features/functionalities

During our review of your app, we were unable to locate one or more of these features. We kindly ask that you re-check your app and make sure that ALL these functionalities are in place for your users. We also ask that you review the User Generated Content policy to ensure your app features ALL the requirements outlined in the help article.

Steps 2 and 3 are "fix" and "try again"

I'm taking suggestions.
I'm thinking a checkbox during login with a link to the forum TOS, or to a (non-binding) comedy GitHub.io page that outlines "GCP".

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Sereri posted:

Steps 2 and 3 are "fix" and "try again"

I'm taking suggestions.
I'm thinking a checkbox during login with a link to the forum TOS, or to a (non-binding) comedy GitHub.io page that outlines "GCP".

It's been years but I remember getting a similar rejection from Apple's App Review. I think I explained all of:

• Accounts can only be created through the website, which requires agreeing to the terms and rules.
• During account creation, what constitutes inappropriate content and behaviour is made clear.
• No app usage is possible without having an account created via this process.
• Other users can be added to an ignore list. Ignored users' posts and avatars are hidden.
• Human moderators respond to all reports of objectionable or inappropriate content.
• Moderators respond swiftly to all violations by removing the offending content, banning individuals who repeatedly misbehave, and updating the rules defining what behaviour and content offends.
• Rules updates are immediately enforced and are promptly communicated to all moderators and to all users.

I remember approaching it like "what could the reviewer parrot to defend approving this app to their boss". They want to cover their rear end, so here is some coverage without any gaps (as presented).

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

The appeal box was capped at 1000 characters and I made some of these points. It requires a person reading (and caring) though :v:

As far as I can tell the appeal process is concluded and I can try with the next update

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Well if you want to put some page up somewhere under awfulapp.com just holler (or go for it, you might already have access to that repo), happy to help!

handle
Jan 20, 2011

Sereri posted:

[frustrating poo poo]
Seriously, thank you for putting in the effort to deal with this. How aggravating.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Starting a few days ago, I suddenly can no longer directly open imgur links into the imgur app from the awful app. I've opened all permissions etc and nothing changes, made sure both are updated, all that jazz. I'm on a Samsung galaxy s22 ultra. Is this a bug, or did something possibly change in a recent update with either app?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Captain Invictus posted:

Starting a few days ago, I suddenly can no longer directly open imgur links into the imgur app from the awful app. I've opened all permissions etc and nothing changes, made sure both are updated, all that jazz. I'm on a Samsung galaxy s22 ultra. Is this a bug, or did something possibly change in a recent update with either app?

Go to settings, apps, the imgur apps, "open by default" or something like that. Android periodically nukes the configuration of which apps have what links.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Go to settings, apps, the imgur apps, "open by default" or something like that. Android periodically nukes the configuration of which apps have what links.
this "set as default", right?

this was all enabled, and I'm still unable to hold select an image/mp4 embed/imgur album link and select to open it externally as I could a few days ago, it just does nothing, but disabling the above options in the imgur settings opens links in a browser without issue. reinstalled imgur too, no dice.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I'm having this problem, too, but I'm pretty sure that the problem is with the Imgur app.

If I tap an image in Awful and choose to open it, the Imgur app opens to the image, but never swaps to be the active app. Pressing your softkey that shows all opens apps will show Imgur is open, but it won't switch to it. Even if you close Awful.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Find the man who created the imgur app and kill him.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
for their crimes of web2.0ing imgur and the app, they deserve it

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Just got the newest update for the Imgur app, and it's a little better for the problem. It still doesn't switch to the Imgur app, but if you select it, it'll load the image like normal.

I'd say that's proof that the Imgur app is the problem.

Captain Invictus posted:

for their crimes of web2.0ing imgur and the app, they deserve it

:haibrow:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah it feels like they fixed whatever was wrong since I can now open images and such into imgur again. Or maybe it only worked the one time. But I choose to believe crisis averted!!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah it feels like they fixed whatever was wrong since I can now open images and such into imgur again. Or maybe it only worked the one time. But I choose to believe crisis averted!!

That one, maybe. But it seems that the bug of MP4s not playing unless you move the post is back. The one I had it happen on was hosted on Imgur, so I'm blaming them by default.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Related. Are you supposed to be able to upload video of any kind (not gif) with the insert imgur function?

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love
So I did a quick scan of this thread and didn't see a similar issue posted, but if this ends up being a duplicate or known issue, I apologize.

I recently noticed the 3 dot menu on posts doesn't work anymore on my phone. I've used it in the past to make where I stopped reading so I could pick up where I left off on PC or when i come back to the thread later. Other 3 dot menus in the app work fine, such as the one in the post editor or for the thread as a whole.

Using Awful 3.8.15 in Pixel 4u in case that impacts anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

handle
Jan 20, 2011

Are you able to update to version 3.8.16? There's a fix for the three-dot issue that went out in that update.