Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

loquacius posted:

Off the top of my head, Hayden Panettiere (a petite blonde) and Sofia Vergara (a tall voluptuous Latina) have both been it-girls in the last ten-twenty years and they're pretty starkly different

lol they're both very conventionally attractive come on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

projecthalaxy posted:

There's an entire The Office episode about whether or not Hilary Swank is attractive. She reportedly hates that fact.

Hilary Swank is very attractive

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

There's an entire The Office episode about whether or not Hilary Swank is attractive. She reportedly hates that fact.

that's hosed up

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hollywood hasn't had a proper ugly person since Clint Howard

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

the episode is hosed up, not that she hates it. it makes total sense that she hates it. just to clarify!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

ArmZ posted:

that's hosed up

The whole thing about Sarah Jessica Parker having a horse-face is based off a joke from Ed Wood where she (in character) is reading a review of her performance as an actress where the reviewer says she looks like a horse. And she did such a good job with the delivery that it got stuck in a Family guy writer's head for 10 years and then they unconsciously stole it and used it for a dumb cutaway, and then it just became a standard lazy pull when looking for an actress to make fun of. Pretty sad!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Yeah and I mean even Clint's face is mostly symmetrical, he just kind of looks naturally goofy.

as an adult anyway. as a child, woof!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I do think Hollywood lacks for ugly ladies with distinct faces, while a lot of fantastic roles go to men in that category. At best there's comedic roles but very few dramatic ones.

Even if you don't think Buscemi and Dafoe are ugly but compelling, there's guys like Vincent Schiavelli , William Hootkins (I didn't even realize he was Porkins, I was thinking about his Batman role) and Danny DeVito. No women who looked like them would have ever gotten a shot to prove their dramatic talent.

Like where's the role for a fat chicago cop taking bribes that goes to a lady? Doesn't exist. Even a guy like JT Walsh doesn't have a counterpart that I can think of.

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 16:37 on Nov 15, 2022

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
I hosed them both. it was ok.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

lol they're both very conventionally attractive come on

I mean sure but we're kind of talking about what "conventionally attractive" even means here

If Adam Driver isn't "conventionally attractive" but there's been at least one hugely popular viral tweet about how if you don't think he's hot you're an incel I don't think the definition is very good

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
hollywood needs two things to reclaim its glory

1) more ugly / fat people (not the leads!!!)
2) compelling horniness/eroticism between the leads

I absolutely loved seeing Sgt. Chunky in andor, even though it's just a tv show

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

hollywood needs two things to reclaim its glory

1) more ugly / fat people
2) compelling horniness/eroticism between the leads

The american people demand to see Uggos gently caress!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

ack no wait i didnt mean that

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

ack no wait i didnt mean that

sorry we've already greenlit 10 movies about Sam Bankman-Fried's polycule

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The weirdest-looking currently-active actress is probably Kristen Schaal and she's much more successful as a VA

Maybe Chelsea Peretti if we're being uncharitable? She's not ugly but I wouldn't call her "conventionally attractive"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

:hmmyes:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

If you want to see stories about people who aren't Hollywood beautiful but want to gently caress each other very much there are plenty of matchmaking reality shows out there that can fill this need for you

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

who's that musical duo with the woman who looks like dj qualls and plays thhe banjo

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Oglethorpe posted:

who's that musical duo with the woman who looks like dj qualls and plays thhe banjo

Garfunkel and Oates? I think you're talking about Kate Micucci lol

Serf
May 5, 2011

i'm bi and i think pete davidson is attractive. maybe not in the upper echelons or whatever but he's not unattractive. even the butthole eyes have a buscemi-like appeal. but the 10 inch penis is a dealbreaker, i can't contend with that, but props to anyone who can

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Garfunkel and Oates? I think you're talking about Kate Micucci lol

:hmmyes: lord protect micucci

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C6CzEEKaXQ

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

I do think Hollywood lacks for ugly ladies with distinct faces, while a lot of fantastic roles go to men in that category. At best there's comedic roles but very few dramatic ones.

Even if you don't think Buscemi and Dafoe are ugly but compelling, there's guys like Vincent Schiavelli , William Hootkins (I didn't even realize he was Porkins, I was thinking about his Batman role) and Danny DeVito. No women who looked like them would have ever gotten a shot to prove their dramatic talent.

Like where's the role for a fat chicago cop taking bribes that goes to a lady? Doesn't exist. Even a guy like JT Walsh doesn't have a counterpart that I can think of.

they're definitely not ugly or unattractive or anything, but maybe kathy bates and/or melissa mcCarthy or (for more of a character actor) ann dowd?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Lol i read another article about the Office Hilary Swank episode and the reason the episode exists is BJ Novak was on a plane where two Hilary Swank movies (PS I Love You and The Great Debaters) were offered and he heard a couple discussing which to watch and decided "i should make an episode of my tv show that 13 million people watch about whether hilary swank is hot, without telling her".

TV production is cool

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Need more shelley duvals

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Riot Bimbo posted:

Need more shelley duvals

Yes!!! That's who I'm talking about

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/capybaroness/status/1592546788866928640?s=12

oh boy

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

remember how much poo poo lena dunham got (and still gets) for her looks? and being naked frequently on Girls? it's prob be insane to read back on some of the contemporaneous reviews and chatter around that show (which i will stand by as a good-to-great series)

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

remember how much poo poo lena dunham got (and still gets) for her looks? and being naked frequently on Girls? it's prob be insane to read back on some of the contemporaneous reviews and chatter around that show (which i will stand by as a good-to-great series)

source your quotes

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

what? it is a good show

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
it's true, Lena Dunham may be a spoiled rich kind, a chronic oversharer, and an embarrassing lib, but lion's share of hate she got at the peak of her popularity seemed to circle around "how dare a fat and ugly person film themselves naked?" rather than any of those three things.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

the fablemans looks like poo poo from a dogs rear end

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

YaketySass posted:

You'd think after Cumberbatch and Adam Driver people would stop being surprised that slightly funny-looking dudes who are tall and famous can be popular with women.

I wonder what's the closest equivalent in women, some celebrity who gets others to say "I don't understand what dudes see in her".

In the 90s, women used to ask me and other dudes what we found attractive about Katie Holmes.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Pete Davidson also looks like poo poo from a dogs rear end.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Pete Davidson sucking Dan Crenshaws dick on SNL is very funny though.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

it's true, Lena Dunham may be a spoiled rich kind, a chronic oversharer, and an embarrassing lib, but lion's share of hate she got at the peak of her popularity seemed to circle around "how dare a fat and ugly person film themselves naked?" rather than any of those three things.
isn't she also a child molester?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

isn't she also a child molester?

this was always one of the dumber and worst-faith criticisms of her —— which is saying something!! she was 7 years old during this "incident"...... was it weird? yea sure but she was a child

quote:

Lena Dunham, the creator of the hit television series Girls, has issued an apology after being attacked in the US for passages in her recently released memoir which critics have said amount to the sexual abuse of her younger sister.

Dunham, 28, who this week cancelled a planned appearance at book events in Antwerp and Berlin, initially struck a defiant tone after parts of the book, Not That Kind of Girl, were highlighted by the right-wing press.

The passages cited include one that describes an incident when Dunham was seven and her sister was one and playing on the driveway. Dunham writes that “curiosity got the best” of her and she opened her sister’s vagina only to call for her mother when she found the toddler had “six or seven pebbles in there”.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

please don't let "rehabilitating lena dunham" be the new hot pseudo-leftist pop culture take; I beg you

that's what rehabilitating 00s commercial trash is for

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

please don't let "rehabilitating lena dunham" be the new hot pseudo-leftist pop culture take; I beg you

that's what rehabilitating 00s commercial trash is for

i'm very sorry that my honest opinion on what motivated the hatred for a specific celebrity from 10 years ago upset you.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

i'm very sorry that my honest opinion on what motivated the hatred for a specific celebrity from 10 years ago upset you.
apologize harder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

apologize harder

no, suck my balls