Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
How easy is it to retrain a Pokemon's Nature in the new game? like Mints or equivalent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

wizard2 posted:

How easy is it to retrain a Pokemon's Nature in the new game? like Mints or equivalent
there are Mints, for sale, but I don't know how easy to obtain

someone said you can spend regular normal cash on them rather than BP but I have not seen confirmation

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
👀

thats very cool if spoiler is correct ty

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

there are Mints, for sale, but I don't know how easy to obtain

someone said you can spend regular normal cash on them rather than BP but I have not seen confirmation

This is correct. All the stuff that would cost BP in older games just costs cash in SV, for some reason.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

They're purchasable for regular money pretty early on and also littered everywhere as random loot.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
very cool!

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

At this point, I think the only "permanent" modifications to a Pokemon that'll stay when a Pokemon is transferred from game to game are going to be just stat related stuff such as Bottle Caps, Mints and possibly EV spreads, and these can all be modified in future games.

Granted though, I think there will also be games like LGPE, Legends and Go which have wildly different stat allocation systems, but I don't believe they'll have active metagames.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zuzie posted:

Granted though, I think there will also be games like LGPE, Legends and Go which have wildly different stat allocation systems, but I don't believe they'll have active metagames.

Go absolutely has an active meta, with both fan and official tournaments. It works on its own rules, but it's about as active as the main games.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Blaze Dragon posted:

Go absolutely has an active meta, with both fan and official tournaments. It works on its own rules, but it's about as active as the main games.

I didn't know that, but at the same time you also can't really transfer anything from older games to Pokemon Go, so monsters that are used in Go were caught in Go itself.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Zuzie posted:

At this point, I think the only "permanent" modifications to a Pokemon that'll stay when a Pokemon is transferred from game to game are going to be just stat related stuff such as Bottle Caps, Mints and possibly EV spreads, and these can all be modified in future games.

Don't take away my ribbons.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dr. Stab posted:

oh god is All Ribbons still a thing that some insane people do, how many ribbons did Sw/Sh add

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Dr. Stab posted:

They will take them away, and they will make it sting.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

DACK FAYDEN posted:

oh god is All Ribbons still a thing that some insane people do, how many ribbons did Sw/Sh add

Just 4. But SwSh also added titles for each ribbon, so now you can show off to your opponent that your pokemon won mount battle in Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dr. Stab posted:

Just 4. But SwSh also added titles for each ribbon, so now you can show off to your opponent that your pokemon won mount battle in Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness.
...okay that's actually excellent, I wouldn't have expected them to go all the way back

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I'm so glad the era of soft-resetting for hours or breeding for hours for Natures/IVs/Egg Moves/Abilities is over.

Just get some Mints, Bottle Caps, Ability Capsules or Patches--all conveniently available at stores or plentiful in raids.

Need an Egg Move? Just let the Pokémon have a nice chat over various sandwiches and charcuterie to pick up some tips.

SwSh kind-of made using your in-game party for competitive battles viable after plenty of post-game grinding, but SV has made all of it possible before you even hit the half-way point of the game. This is what I've always wanted from Pokémon since online battles were a thing.

The little dudes I watched grow and evolve over the course of the campaign can actually stick with me and be viable in PvP.

Truly, SwSh walked so SV could run.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

DACK FAYDEN posted:

...okay that's actually excellent, I wouldn't have expected them to go all the way back

They made a title for every ribbon. Even the ones that were never given out.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dr. Stab posted:

They made a title for every ribbon. Even the ones that were never given out.
holy poo poo all ribbons is dead

SadisticMystic on Smogon posted:

Instead, the other new ribbon is really wacky: Whenever you send a Pokemon out on Surprise Trade, it has a low chance (but they don't say how low, possibly 1% or 1/256) of suddenly gaining the new "Once-in-a-Lifetime Ribbon" en route to the recipient.
I absolutely trust this because this guy's been legit since back on the gamefaqs magic the gathering forums lmao

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 15, 2022

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I absolutely trust this because this guy's been legit since back on the gamefaqs magic the gathering forums lmao

Major props to Gamefreak for destroying some poor soul’s sanity with this.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

DACK FAYDEN posted:

lmao holy poo poo. You can give a pokemon max ribbons, but only if you give it away to a stranger. This is amazing.

e: the cowards will probably make it not count, like the ribbon for online coop in DP (even though there are server emulators out there)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
There's also ribbons for biggest and smallest sizes of a species which are obviously mutually exclusive

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Ethiser posted:

Major props to Gamefreak for destroying some poor soul’s sanity with this.

I fixate on some stupid poo poo but at least I can say i've never given a good goddamn about ribbons.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I personally only go after easy to get ones like Effort and Friendship ribbons.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

What's the point of ribbons if your pokemon doesn't come out looking like a decorated war hero

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

It's a shame that you can't get Eevee as a shadow pokemon in the Gamecube games, then you could get a Sylveon with all the ribbons, in addition to its flesh ones

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Are Pokémon size differences a thing in this?

Like if I transfer over my shiny alphas will they just be regular sized?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Are Pokémon size differences a thing in this?

Like if I transfer over my shiny alphas will they just be regular sized?

They'll be listed as the largest size for the species and have a notice about being a former Alpha, but they won't be massive in battle like they were in PLA

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I honestly completely forgot ribbons were a thing.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Forget ribbons.

Forget shinies.

It's all about the marks, baby.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

They'll be listed as the largest size for the species and have a notice about being a former Alpha, but they won't be massive in battle like they were in PLA

I thought size variables carried over into Scarlet and Violet? I mean they have titans for fucks sakes.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Man that sucks. One of the best things about PLA was how large some of the alphas were, like mamoswine. Or how small some of the forms were. PLA was so good and I want a sequel

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

So, I've been away from home for the past week almost, so I've missed a good chunk of news. Have we seen images leaked yet of the Quaxly final evolution? And is there any video floating around out there from people playing pre-release copies? I'm curious how the finals look animated (especially the Fuecoco final), since that may be the final line for which starter I end up taking.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
After a lot of research, I've settled on what I am 99% sure is my final team barring any foolishness about how early I can find them. I have no overlaps with my rival/the champion/the baddies or the gym leaders--at least not with any of their aces--I have 12 types represented--all different types of monsters--reptiles, birds, mammals, insects, plants, etc. And while I have some returning faces, all of them are new to me as far as play-throughs go. It's also only 2 returning Pokémon, the same as the Champion and rivals.

I know some people like the thrill of the surprise, or rotating out new members as they go. I have no problems with that. But for me, I like to have my core group of friends who I'm going to see through the story with and really get attached to. I also have lots of brainworms and stipulations about who I will use (see above.) Sometimes it's frustrating, but this time, I think it's going to work out perfectly.

Anyway, here they are:

For those who finished the game: I'm going to assume to assume all of these should be available by at least the mid-game, right? Also, are there wild Azurill (the baby form), or will I only find Marill in the wild?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Nanigans posted:

After a lot of research, I've settled on what I am 99% sure is my final team barring any foolishness about how early I can find them. I have no overlaps with my rival/the champion/the baddies or the gym leaders--at least not with any of their aces--I have 12 types represented--all different types of monsters--reptiles, birds, mammals, insects, plants, etc. And while I have some returning faces, all of them are new to me as far as play-throughs go. It's also only 2 returning Pokémon, the same as the Champion and rivals.

I know some people like the thrill of the surprise, or rotating out new members as they go. I have no problems with that. But for me, I like to have my core group of friends who I'm going to see through the story with and really get attached to. I also have lots of brainworms and stipulations about who I will use (see above.) Sometimes it's frustrating, but this time, I think it's going to work out perfectly.

Anyway, here they are:

For those who finished the game: I'm going to assume to assume all of these should be available by at least the mid-game, right? Also, are there wild Azurill (the baby form), or will I only find Marill in the wild?

yea, there are plenty of that baby around right at the start. I don’t recognize your middle two but the others are easily gotten

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

An Actual Princess posted:

yea, there are plenty of that baby around right at the start. I don’t recognize your middle two but the others are easily gotten

Thanks!!

Middle two are the new little grass olive baby--fully evolved, and the electric/flying seagull--fully evolved. I'm guessing those are also early game catches? Same with Ralts?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Class3KillStorm posted:

So, I've been away from home for the past week almost, so I've missed a good chunk of news. Have we seen images leaked yet of the Quaxly final evolution? And is there any video floating around out there from people playing pre-release copies? I'm curious how the finals look animated (especially the Fuecoco final), since that may be the final line for which starter I end up taking.

Quaxly's final evo is very animated
The other two are pretty static in comparison

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

oh yeah I didn’t use those but I caught their first forms very early. you should be good to go

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

oh yeah I didn’t use those but I caught their first forms very early. you should be good to go

Awesome! Thanks again.

Friday can't come quick enough. :)

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nanigans posted:

Anyway, here they are:

I've also figured out the team I'm going to roll with after a lot of trial and error : Meowscarada, Quaquaval, Ceruledge, Espathra, Clodsire, and Tinkaton.

Out of curiosity are any of the pre-evos for some of these guys available in the early area of do you have to go farther afield?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It took me years to realize that gallade isn't actually a duck looking to the side and is instead looking straight ahead and what I thought was a bill is actually it's ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Class3KillStorm posted:

Head over to the pokemon leaks reddit megathread. They literally have everything there from screenshots of mons to stats and abilities.