Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

That has to be worse than a Miata in every meaningful way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I want to put that poor gold wing out of its misery :smith:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Seems like sticking the wing engine into a Miata would've been a better way to spend the resources

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

This isn't a bike in any sense of the term. Reported

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Just get a fucken car my god

Toe Rag posted:

That has to be worse than a Miata in every meaningful way.

that was my immediate reaction - just buy a loving convertible and call it a day

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

This is the worst thing in the entire world.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Check the price:

http://www.hannigantrikes.com/products/honda-gl1800-quadracycle/

quote:

Quad Conversion Adds Approximately 520 lbs to stock Gold Wing

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dont know why you'd buy that when you can get a canam spyder (or a convertible car) and it will be way less janky

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

If they restyled it to look even more like a rideable mechanical sphinx it would solve a lot of my issues with it

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

when a bike comes stock with a reverse option. this would be the natural end stage once the modding community gets a hold of it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

imagine owning that and trying to get parts for it lmao

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Way to make a Honda Accord but shittier.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

imagine owning that
no

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The important thing is that the boomers are out and having fun

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
lol I've had both my knees cut open by age 30 and I'm not succumbing to that bullshit

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I saw a cheap ‘83 Goldwing up for sale as a parts bike, with ‘mild fire damage.’ Asked if he knew how it caught fire, he sent me a video (of COURSE there’s a video):

https://youtu.be/bpNCUP_uXe4

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So by far the hardest thing to come to grips with on the goldwing has been the sheer amount of torque. Getting used to the weight was pretty easy minus a tip over in the grass a week or so after I bought it.

I used to ride a bandit 1200 and that thing was a torque monster, but mostly it would deal with the torque by wheelieing, which would pretty instantly give you the feedback that you maybe should back off (or not, it’s a wheelie!).

The goldwing won’t really wheelie under normal circumstances, and is, as far as I can tell, significantly more torquey than the bandit, so what does it do? Apparently it just spins the tire.

This wasn’t an issue in the summer when the pavement and tires were both hot as hell, but now that the pavement is cool and the tires stay cold way longer, I’ve found myself just spinning the tire randomly. Today getting on an onramp with the temps in the low 40’s, it just spun the tire as I accelerated up the ramp, partially leaned over. Bit of a pucker moment.

Very weird feeling, and something I really have to pay attention to in the corners I suppose.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

TotalLossBrain posted:

The important thing is that the boomers are out and having fun

https://twitter.com/dril/status/922321981

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Boomers can have a little fun, as a treat

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So by far the hardest thing to come to grips with on the goldwing has been the sheer amount of torque. Getting used to the weight was pretty easy minus a tip over in the grass a week or so after I bought it.

I used to ride a bandit 1200 and that thing was a torque monster, but mostly it would deal with the torque by wheelieing, which would pretty instantly give you the feedback that you maybe should back off (or not, it’s a wheelie!).

The goldwing won’t really wheelie under normal circumstances, and is, as far as I can tell, significantly more torquey than the bandit, so what does it do? Apparently it just spins the tire.

This wasn’t an issue in the summer when the pavement and tires were both hot as hell, but now that the pavement is cool and the tires stay cold way longer, I’ve found myself just spinning the tire randomly. Today getting on an onramp with the temps in the low 40’s, it just spun the tire as I accelerated up the ramp, partially leaned over. Bit of a pucker moment.

Very weird feeling, and something I really have to pay attention to in the corners I suppose.

Fat Bob did that a bit recently on the damp roads, I puckered up too.

I'm basically not going to ride much this winter; one of these days when I've some time I'll clean them properly, respray the antirust, put in some fuel stabiliser in Bob, plug them into the to battery tenders and leave them alone for the winter.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Saturday there was a freak heat wave all over northern Europe. I took advantage by dadbiking for a solid hour by bringing kiddo to her art thing. She loves riding pillion but hates earplugs so it's all backroads and low revs.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You could try these maybe

https://www.amazon.com/Loop-Quiet-Noise-Reduction-Earplugs/dp/B08MFDT65P

They are my favorite earplugs. They fit like earbuds, so if she doesn't like cramming earplugs in her ears but is fine with airpods etc she should have no trouble with these. Very soft and comfortable, they come with four different sizes of tips, they come in different colors, they don't look dorky, they don't get pulled out when you put your helmet on, and they take one second to insert.

Backroads and low revs are the way to ride, though. :cheers:

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Thanks, I'll try different ones, maybe those. I dislike foamies myself, they make me cough on insertion (it's a thing, bodies are weird).

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I normally hate earplugs, but pinlocks have been quite comfortable.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

reminder to wash your earplugs yall. I ran a set for too long and got a fungal ear infection. Good times

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I steal a new set from work every other day

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I steal a bit of soap and wash mine at work every other day.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

reminder to wash your earplugs yall. I ran a set for too long and got a fungal ear infection. Good times

I hate the waste aspect of the foamies... but glad I don't have to worry about this.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sagebrush posted:

You could try these maybe

https://www.amazon.com/Loop-Quiet-Noise-Reduction-Earplugs/dp/B08MFDT65P

They are my favorite earplugs. They fit like earbuds, so if she doesn't like cramming earplugs in her ears but is fine with airpods etc she should have no trouble with these. Very soft and comfortable, they come with four different sizes of tips, they come in different colors, they don't look dorky, they don't get pulled out when you put your helmet on, and they take one second to insert.

Backroads and low revs are the way to ride, though. :cheers:

I've been getting ads for these on instagram a bunch lately. Have you used the noise filter version, like the 18 NRR? I use Etymotic ER20s for social situations because of social anxiety and hearing loss and I've been curious about how these stack up.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So THAT'S why all goldwing owners have bushy tufts of hair sticking out of their ears, it's adaptation

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Russian Bear posted:

I hate the waste aspect of the foamies... but glad I don't have to worry about this.

Same, but I pretty exclusively use them now for the above mentioned reason

Fun fact, the solution to a fungal ear infection is a prescription for medical-grade vinegar. You literally put drops of super purified vinegar in your ears and lay on your side for 10 minutes.

Then you walk around smelling and smelling like vinegar all day.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Russian Bear posted:

After using disposable daily contacts for a few years, tossing a couple pairs of foamies a week doesn't bother me at all. And my ears don't smell like vinegar so I'm going to keep at it

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

If you're ever tempted to use ethanol to clean your earplugs or earbuds, make absolutely sure it's completely dry before you stick them back in your ears, gently caress me the headache I got from doing that once.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I've never really felt comfortable in any earplugs other than these, which I wear while playing drums, doing yardwork, shooting, and occasionally sleeping. They're disposable, so I just chuck them when I'm done, but does anyone have opinions on how they stack up against some of those fancy ear plugs? Any ones I've tried have either not blocked enough sound to make it worth it, or they've been so amazingly uncomfortable that I couldn't wear them for more than 20 minutes at a time.

I guess this could be a question for the gear thread but we're on the topic.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I switched to the terribly named Eargasms because of my weird, tiny ear holes and have been absolutely loving them.

Foam work their way out over time on me, but these stay in place and are comfortable for hours.

Bit spendy and I panic every time I drop one, but of course the solution is not to drop them.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I've been using a pair of Alpine Motosafes (touring version) for my entire riding career of two summers (most of the first one was spent getting licenced). Don't know if they're the ultimate solution but I really like the little push stick tube thing for insertion and the little zippered case they come in and how easy to use and comfy they are compared to foamies. They've swollen up a bit at the shaft and tend to get stuck in the tube now so I just ordered a new pair. They don't block sound as well as foamies but are quiet enough for my riding.

But yeah, kiddo needs to wear earplugs when we go dadbiking so I need to find something she's comfortable with. Also a better helmet for next season. Intercom would be sweet but probably a bit spendy for a good setup.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

On that point, are there cheap but also good helmet to helmet intercoms? My oldest rides with me on the goldwing occasionally and it’d be nice to not have to scream back and forth at stop lights.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Cardo makes a few “duo” kits that include two head sets. They can only connect to one other comm, which is fine if you only ever intend to talk to a passenger. This one is $171.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Strife posted:

I guess this could be a question for the gear thread but we're on the topic.

Nah dude, getting in the weeds over earplugs is extremely dad

Also, I've experimented with a handful of different fancy earplugs and I always come back to 3M/Howard Leight foamies when I need really consistent and good protection (e.g., shooting, motorcycles). Nothing is quite as comfortable or effective for me, except the ones made of cotton fiber and beeswax. Those are great, but enough of a hassle and not enough better for me that I don't use them much. Those work so well that not enough noise makes it in to drown out my tinnitus.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

On that point, are there cheap but also good helmet to helmet intercoms? My oldest rides with me on the goldwing occasionally and it’d be nice to not have to scream back and forth at stop lights.

I haven't personally tried them, but a student of mine says that he bought the generic $50/ea bluetooth intercom you can get in a million different variations on Amazon, and for just two-way communication they were even better than the Sena he also had. Better range and sound quality.

something like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Yideng-Motorcycle-interphone-Walkie-Talkie-Communication/dp/B01FFCWCPI

I assume they wouldn't work as well for the 8-way full octoplex group riding or whatever but that seems like such a niche thing. If you're just using it to talk to your kid while they're on the back of the bike, seems perfect.