Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Even if there were "1000 RPCs" slowing things down, that's not the sort of thing that can be safely dealt with in a matter of days, or even months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

The gist I get is that most of the management chain has been replaced with Musk’s favorite sociopaths from Tesla and SpaceX and such. So anyone wanting to ingrain themselves in that pack for future Musk Adventures might have to do a little backstabbing along the way. Definitely taking zero blame and throwing everyone else under the bus in the hopes they’re the chosen few who get to follow Musk to the next Nirvana.

Kinda seems appealing to a certain type of personality who sees the world in a ruthless dog-eat-dog sort of way. “Let’s sift out the bad coders” crowd. But in reality, the only people left will be the worst of Silicon Valley along with some folks who can’t swap jobs for whatever reason.
Yeah I can imagine he attracts a certain breed of sociopath. It's possible that he will get results from this team, but at what cost? By all accounts some of the people he has lost or fired already have storied careers in their field, and won't be easily replaced. It's hard to imagine what Twitter will have mutated into by the time Musk has stopped experimenting on it.

I don't doubt that he's inserted his best and brightest from Tesla/SpaceX already, but the quote I saw from a ex-employee was that it was actually existing co-workers who had turned to the dark side, rather than the "dream team" (who would be untrustworthy by default). It's easy to see how this could happen - there would be a number of Twitter employees who, having survived the first cull, would either feel indentured to Musk, or their personal circumstances are such that they don't have the luxury to call him out publicly, like others who have done so fully cognisant of the fact that Elon would probably fire them (and not caring).

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Stoatbringer posted:

Even if there were "1000 RPCs" slowing things down, that's not the sort of thing that can be safely dealt with in a matter of days, or even months.

It can be if your goal is to overwork your employees into quitting.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I dunno, twitter is SO entrenched, it seems hard to believe even Elon can make the whole thing collapse that fast.

I long to be proven wrong ofc lol.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

saw a twitter employee say she got fired for retweeting one of the posts from someone who got fired. pretty loving weak.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Trillhouse posted:

saw a twitter employee say she got fired for retweeting one of the posts from someone who got fired. pretty loving weak.

Dang that’s something that would get a person imprisoned in an autocratic Gulf state, probably not gonna go over well in San Francisco

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Elon wonders why his staff are publically calling him out as he continues to publically call them out. This man is considered a very stable genius.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Is their 2fa still not working? I hope its dead forever

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth
Remember when that Republican cripple guy said all that stuff about coke parties on some podcast.

And it was so close to the truth that the Republican party said he had never attended any of their coke parties.

Which meant he knew about them only because other members of the Republican party had been telling him about them. .

And that Dem guy who kills black men

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Buck#Criminal_investigations

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CumBlast Radius Jr fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 15, 2022

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I live near SF and I met a twitter employee at a party once and she was a huge jerk. I said something about not using twitter myself and she was all "well basically everyone else does so it's not like you matter." I hope she learned to be a less lovely person.

priznat posted:

It’s true, a coworker has a model Y and he had to ban his kid from playing a racing game because he was putting flat spots on the tires and grinding up the garage floor lol
How in flying gently caress does a car company implement this without someone mentioning that turning the wheels while stationary is the fastest way to bald your tires? :psyduck:

It truly boggles the mind. This whole thread does. The world was not this stupid 10 years ago. And it was pretty loving stupid. How did we get here? I live in a small town with no sidewalks so every time I see a tesla I have to pull my dog in because you never know if it's in self-driving mode ready to run over my dog without slowing down. Teslas should not be on the road.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

When Elon isn't in the slack channel all the employees should be asking "where's elon?"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

CumBlast Radius Jr posted:

Felix from Chapo said something about Elon going the Robert Maxwell route.

And I agree. Elon is too big to fail in some ways, but he has his fingers in too many things and is too stupid to stop touching things.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Maxwell#Death

does he really have fingers in things? again his role in space x is extremely over stated. Tesla though , yeah that and website will die.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Like it's very clear Elon is surrounded by spineless yes men and he assumes anyone who disagrees with him is clearly jealous/hates him for being successful/one of them loser types, so when he's bought a new company and all the Tesla engineers tell him "yes boss we can rewrite twitter in a weekend no problem it's super easy twitter just needs a genius like you in charge" and all the actual twitter engineers go "actually twitter took close to twenty years of development so I would recommend you do NOT delete the login function" he gets insanely mad and fires them. Guy is a huge manchild.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Lol at Elon firing people, not over their lack competence, but over if they would die for him or not.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Sanctum posted:

How in flying gently caress does a car company implement this without someone mentioning that turning the wheels while stationary is the fastest way to bald your tires? :psyduck:

I could only assume there is some reason for it, probably not giving the infotainment system the ability to disconnect the steer by wire is a biggie. They technically could do it but it raises a whole host of security and safety concerns.

Better to just not have the wheel as a controller imo if they must put games on the centre display.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Pennywise the Frown posted:

How do the Saudis feel about Twitter's new direction?

they don't seem like a lol destroy a company meme kinda people.

they're too busy siphoning money building their half trillion dollar mirror's edge city and killing arabs south of the border

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Sanctum posted:

I live near SF and I met a twitter employee at a party once and she was a huge jerk. I said something about not using twitter myself

Lol

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Sanctum posted:

I live near SF and I met a twitter employee at a party once and she was a huge jerk. I said something about not using twitter myself and she was all "well basically everyone else does so it's not like you matter." I hope she learned to be a less lovely person.

She's probably doing very well in the new Musk environment.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I dunno, twitter is SO entrenched, it seems hard to believe even Elon can make the whole thing collapse that fast.

I long to be proven wrong ofc lol.

Sanctum posted:

I think these posts are over estimating how popular twitter is, like yeah, for the places(like here) where its used, it is super popular, but then there's a sharp drop off.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Sanctum posted:

CEO said make racing game.

Some nerd said "but bald spots on tires".

Nerd got fired. CEO got called a smart, special boy with only good ideas.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

I saw a Kara Swisher talk not that long ago, where she was gushing about Musk (and several other sociopath tech CEOs like Jobs and Zuckerberg) so this is really funny--he's even making GBS threads on people who actually like him now.

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth

PhazonLink posted:

does he really have fingers in things? again his role in space x is extremely over stated. Tesla though , yeah that and website will die.

I think he associates with people who's opinions of him can change.

Some Saudi guy owns a bunch of the Twitter shares, right?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Decon posted:

The team making the game for the Tesla probably thought it was hilarious the game would bald the tires on the Tesla. I doubt it was "but bald spots on tires" and was instead "lol bald spots on tires". It was probably some work for hire company that ported an existing racing game to the Tesla ecosystem quickly.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Decon posted:

Yeah a deadline of two days was given, the project cut a ton of corners and management dismissed every single issue anyone brought up.

This is typical in corporate tech. Managers are allergic to solving problems that aren’t “blockers” and anyone who brings up issues doesn’t have a “positive mindset” and their performance reviews get lowered.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

I think these posts are over estimating how popular twitter is, like yeah, for the places(like here) where its used, it is super popular, but then there's a sharp drop off.

That's probably fair, but there really is nothing comparable at the moment.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

priznat posted:

I could only assume there is some reason for it, probably not giving the infotainment system the ability to disconnect the steer by wire is a biggie. They technically could do it but it raises a whole host of security and safety concerns.

Teslas aren't even full steer-by-wire, they have a physical linkage to the wheels.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
https://twitter.com/lindyli/status/1592413949227859968?s=20

Free speech!!1

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Klyith posted:

Teslas aren't even full steer-by-wire, they have a physical linkage to the wheels.

Wild, I had assumed they were! Well that'd be the reason for that then..

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

Yeah a deadline of two days was given, the project cut a ton of corners and management dismissed every single.

So what you're saying is that cutting corners is bad for my tires. Makes sense, some of these sidewalks are pretty high.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

If Uncle Walt were around today I doubt he'd be all that upset

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

I wouldn't even say it's super popular here. It's just very convenient for posting dumbasses, news, or news about dumbasses. I suspect that the majority of people shitposting on Elon the Musky here never tweet. Twitter going away would be like when waffleimages dies, we'd lose some lols but life would go on.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
are Tesla tires also drm proprietary special boy crap? or can giant dumb tools that bald their tires or get a nail/leak go get a tire from any store?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1592564281698299904?s=46&t=qsEQ07QohEk5oLELX82NvA

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I used my twitter account for insulting cricket commentators about 10 years ago.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Migrate twitter to run completely on starlink satellites. It's the future!

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
Outside of some large stories where real time information is coming in live, most of the “news” on Twitter is about Twitter itself - who tweeted what or what drama went down or who did or didn’t react to a given headline.

I will miss it for the dopamine hits and the real time live news moments.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Is this real? It's like a highly magnified Dunning-Kruger effect.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it's incredible how much one employee talking back to him got under his skin :lol:

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I love it when people who get far up enough a hierarchy pretend they know things instead of paying someone else to know things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
High level managers who think they know better than everyone at their company specializing in various corners of tech for 40-80 hours a week are the most insufferable people.