Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
What the hell, I'll just eat some trash. :jerry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

AITA for eating out of the trash and embarrassing my brother?

INFO: are you a racoon?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Even if they were perfectly fine the right move would be to wait until there was no one around to witness your infinite shame

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

AITA for eating out of the trash and embarrassing my brother?

https://i.imgur.com/wdC5092.mp4

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

you never want to do something George did

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
They weren't part of the trash yet!!!

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

hawowanlawow posted:

you never want to do something George did

Except for the episode where George decided to always do the exact opposite of what his instincts told him to do.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for telling my wife she can't wear her wedding dress to my cousin's wedding and she doesn't have to attend if she does

quote:

Throwaway, fake names.

(we're both 25 by the way)

My wife Amy and I got married a few months ago. My cousin Sam is getting married early next year to his fiancee Jane. Amy and Jane don't get along too well, they're fine in family events and stuff but they don't run in the same circles otherwise. Amy's mentioned before that Jane doesn't want to be a part of their group and she's too shy.

Amy saw what Jane's dress looks like, from another cousin. I haven't seen it but it's custom made, white and gold, and she thinks it's too much. The issue now is that Amy's come up with the idea to wear her wedding dress to Sam and Jane's wedding. She said she doesn't have time to go dress shopping, and her dress isn't traditional white (it's pink).

I said no, she can't wear her wedding dress to someone else's wedding, but she's insisting. I told her if she insists on wearing this dress, she doesn't have to attend.

Amy got really upset and said I'm trying to control her, and her dress should be reused instead of sitting in the closet.

This has blown up, and I just don't think you should wear your wedding dress to another wedding, regardless of if it's white or not? I don't think I'm the AH but Amy is mad, she told her friend and the friend also said I can't tell her if she attends or not.

ETA: I've been looking online and I found this picture

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hughlander posted:

AITA for telling my wife she can't wear her wedding dress to my cousin's wedding and she doesn't have to attend if she does

That's a nice dress, nice enough that you should tell the bride and groom about it because I'm sure they'd love to see it right away!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Swear to god if anyone's ever lost to reason enough to marry me I'm insisting everyone wears wedding dresses to the ceremony.

Even the guys.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Captain Hygiene posted:

INFO: are you a racoon?

I had to look twice to make sure that wasn't an Am I The Cloaca post.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Kit Walker posted:

Even if they were perfectly fine the right move would be to wait until there was no one around to witness your infinite shame

Exactly. Dude didn't even take a look around beforehand.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

hawowanlawow posted:

my wife says it is true that the training thing is something that her friends who are into ~dating strategies~ and poo poo talk about, so yeah he probably did read some poo poo like that, but I do not think that is the case in that post, or that it would really be a problem if it were. also, I know my wife's friends, and feeding dudes croissants is not going to solve their dating problems
He sounds like one of those Scott Adams type guys who discover a basic fact like "Feeling good creates a positive feedback loop in your brain" and think they've discovered some Bene Gesserit witchcraft.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Runcible Cat posted:

Swear to god if anyone's ever lost to reason enough to marry me I'm insisting everyone wears wedding dresses to the ceremony.

Even the guys.

I'd be the first person to approve trainers and joggers with a button up.

Modern fashion grew out what was literally a race to excess for who could have the most expensive and impractical clothing.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

pentyne posted:

Modern fashion grew out what was literally a race to excess for who could have the most expensive and impractical clothing.

Then why are men's suits/outfits so boring?

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I think my favorite ever AITA wedding fashion faux pas has to go to the one where OP's (hetero) girlfriend wanted to make a "Gay Rat Wedding" dress to wear to a real life gay wedding, and was shocked it could possibly be recieved badly. Just too funny.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Quackles posted:

Because nobody really understood what Beau Brummell was doing and has just cargo-cult imitated him for centuries.

(Also he was a complete dick.)

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 15, 2022

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Quackles posted:

Because Beau Brummel was a boring gently caress and convinced George IV that well tailored clothes in dull colours were better than the ridiculous gaudy poo poo that had been in up until then.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Quackles posted:

Because Saville Row convinced the middle class desperate to roleplay as landed gentry that spending a month's wages on a single outfit would make you fashionable.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
AITA for "stealing" a dog I got for my girlfriend?

quote:

I M26 know a girl who does fostering for rescue dogs. She had a pregnant dog that she found a home for after the puppies were weaned and the dog was fixed. I had arranged to get one of the puppies for my girlfriend 23. We had gone together and picked one out.

I have not had a dog since I left for school when I was 17 so I was pretty excited to have a furry buddy again.

We went shopping and I picked up everything we would need for the puppy. He was going to be her moving in with me gift.

Well she had slightly different plans and hooked up with her ex because she was feeling stressed about moving in with me.

So she won't be moving in with me. I boxed up her crap she had at my house and she gone.

But she still wants the puppy. I don't think so. I told my friend that the puppy was mine and that under no circumstances was she to give him to my ex. My friend knows that I paid for everything and that I regularly give her money to help her with her fostering. So when the puppy is ready to be rehomed he is coming with me.

Now my ex is calling me and texting me saying that I am stealing her dog since I promised him to her. She even had her dad call me and say that we had a verbal contract that it was her dog.

Well I told him that the puppy was a "moving in" gift. So since she will NEVER be moving in our contract is null and void. I did not tell him why she isn't moving in.

Her friends are crapping on me for keeping a gift.

My friends are saying she can piss up a rope but not mentioning why she isn't moving in because I asked them not to.

So am I the rear end in a top hat for keeping him?

Edit.

I will be taking him to get chipped ASAP.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Quackles posted:

As capitalism replaced feudalism in the 18th century, the rationale for rulership went from "I was born to live a life of luxury and you were born to die in a ditch because God says so" to "I should be in charge because I'm educated and competent and rational and serious." As such, the clothing of the ruling class went from being ostentatiously luxurious to conspicuously dull. The other major turning point was the world wars, which put an unprecedented number of men under arms. For many of them their military uniform was the first nice new set of clothes they'd ever owned, and established the idea that grown men wear drab, more-or-less functional suits.

The Beau Brummell thing stems from a poorly-researched and insane Twitter thread by an obscure novelist who coined the term "hopepunk."

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for having my gf and her child over most nights of the week in a 2/2 apartment with one roommate?

quote:

Hello everyone, so my (37m) gf (35f) has been spending most nights at my apartment, and even has some of her stuff in just my room (her storage unit is full, and where her apartment is (she pays rent at her sisters apartment, where 4 people live already) there isn't much space) and in my bathroom.

​My roommate (29f) has been having issues with her spending most nights at the apartment, since she feels like she is moving in, without her being in the loop about it.

​I honestly don't feel like she is moving in, since all of her stuff is in strictly my room, the common areas have 0 of her stuff, we hardly ever use the common areas (maybe once a week?) as my roommate is usually in there watching TV (which most of the stuff in the living room is mine).

​My roommate says that my gf doesn't pay rent or utilities, so she shouldn't be there and that we need to set strict rules on how often she is over. Which then she would say she doesn't even live her/isn't on the lease/etc. Which I said that I could get all of that arranged and make it official, which my roommate just said "No".

​I pay significantly more rent even though I don't have the "master room" (my roommate does and she has her own private bath and *plenty* of space to call her own), and the utilities my gf does use, are negligible at most (I compared bills, its maybe a two dollar difference?).

​My GF's daughter (9) does spend the night maybe 4-5 days a week at the apartment, but she is relatively quiet, doesn't bother my roommate and sleeps on an inflatable mattress either in my room or in the living room (my roommate *usually* goes to bed around 8 or 9pm, so if my roommate goes to her room, we move my GF's daughter to the living room that way everyone can have a bit more privacy) we have asked my roommate maybe twice what time she is planning on going to bed so we can try to adjust our plans if need be.

​Notes: My roommate frequently leaves the front door unlocked with nobody being home, even though I've asked her plenty of times to please lock it behind her. Any mess that is made by us is immediately cleaned up. If my roommate is home she is always in the common areas. We try to keep noise down to a minimum, and adjust if my roommate mentions something (I've also asked to make sure she doesn't hear anything, but thankfully the walls are fairly thick in this apartment). My roommate also sometimes watches dogs for extra money in the apartment without strictly asking me about it, she just tells me the dates that there will be dogs in the apartment, which I also help walk if my roommate decides to spend hours away from the apartment (which is frequent).

So... Reddit.... AITA for having my GF/GF's child over most nights even though we respect everyone's privacy and space as much as we possibly can?

AITA for ordering door dash late at night if I live in an apartment complex?

quote:

This is a very current situation as I just got this note on my door: I’m trying to cut and insert a pic but it’s not letting me, sorry.

I heard pounding on my door at 6am and I was so afraid that I didn’t get up right away. When I did I found a note scribbled on a post it note. The note insults me for some personal attributes and disabilities I can’t change and then tube note says “your instacart driver (it was door dash) was so loud and woke my kids up. F[CK YOU.”

I get that our outdoor hallways echos and you can hear other peoples front doors when they are accidentally slammed but don’t I have a right to use my home that I pay for in the way that I see fit ?

AITA here?

And now, the comments!

quote:

Commenter A: OP has left out that "all" of her neighbors have previously complained about noise from her apartment, specifically that she leaves her "service dogs" in the apartment to bark incessantly while she's gone.

B: She also got an entire skate park shut down for 6 months because she complained that she couldn't walk her dogs there. In a skate park. To walk her dogs. She is in a wheelchair, so the community literally had to refurbish the skate park for her. [Other posters say that the problem was obesity, not a wheelchair; can't tell now, because OP has deleted their account]

C: OP is trying to paint a very different picture of what happened with the post. The restaurant OP ordered from apparently regularly gets their order wrong (yet OP still orders from there?) so they got into a screaming match with the delivery driver because OP refused to tip. All of this was at 1:30 in the morning, on top of the noise that OP's dogs produce. I'm guessing that this is not a first time occurrence with OP and that OP is regularly creating lots of noise in the middle of the night since they admit that they don't go to bed until 3 am. OP's just a terrible neighbor and it sounds like their neighbor got sick of it.

D: this particular food delivery resulted in an argument with the delivery driver at 01:30 where OP complained about something beyond the control of the driver and is a repeat issue with the restaurant OP ordered from (why OP orders from a restaurant that drops the ball that much is beyond me).

AITA for telling my gf she should give up on seafood because I'm allergic to it?

quote:

I 27(m) am allergic to seafood, unfortunately my 25(f) gf adores it. Ever since we got together, abt 3 years, she's made an effort to eat it as less as possible which I appreciate however I wish she'd completely stop tbh.

The other day she went out with her friends at a restaurant. When she got back home I tried to kiss her but she stopped me and told me she just ate seafood. I got a bit disappointed because I was looking forward to spending some time together with her and I told her as much and then I said that maybe it would be better if she'd just give up on seafood all together.

I know she likes it but sometimes it can be an inconvenience to me and I feel like she should be willing to give up on such a small thing for us. She got upset by my request and said that she loves me but that she's sorry cuz she's not giving up on eating it and that lowering the amount of times she does was already enough.

Her family eats seafood often and she grew up eating a lot of it so I kinda get why it would be hard for her to give up on it but I think that if she cared enough she'd be willing to do it. So AITA.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

And now, the comments!

quote:

about once a week or so I walk over to a public park by my home and walk my dogs. In the park was a skatepark.

It had these tiny like bollard entrances which I could not fit through if I wanted to. It just really bothered me that my tax dollars were being used to pay for a facility that I could not use if I wanted to. That did not seem fair. So I wrote emails to the parks department, they asked me if I wanted to come to a meeting and the board agreed with me to change the entrances. To me it was a small victory and made me feel good that my city government was sticking up for all of us.

They had to cut out the bollard entrance and then the project ran into some delays. it wasn't too big of a deal but the park has to be shut down for about 3-6 months for safety reasons.

People have somehow connected me to the skatepark being shut down. The kids have been especially cruel but some adults have been as well. All the normal f@t b!tch slings I've heard since I was in kindergarten but also K@ren has come into play.

I am posting here today because I was just walking my dog and this group of 11 year olds started yelling at me and I asked them if they would like if someone spoke to their mothers like they were to me. One of them said "it's always the 2's who mouth off, if she were hot she'd know to keep her mouth shut" I asked him if his parents were around. He said his uncle was right over there. I went up to his uncle and his uncle said the kid was being generous calling me a 2. I asked him if he felt he was a good example to those boys. He made some really disgusting fat comments and I left trying but failing to maintain my composure.

I'm afraid to go back to the park now obviously so now my small win feels like a major defeat and I feel like an rear end in a top hat. Was I one?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Kurieg posted:

AITA for "stealing" a dog I got for my girlfriend?

What's with the bullshit nobility in not saying what they are breaking up? She cheated on him, that's a pretty concrete reason for his actions. If he explains why, people get off his back.

/Yeah, yeah, if people thought logically, they wouldn't be posting to Reddit

EDIT: Given how fatphobic Reddit is, I have to be really skeptical about some of those comments. I mean seriously, if you're a women who isn't good-looking enough for them to jerk off to, they'll make some really nasty comments about you.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 15, 2022

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for telling my gf she should give up on seafood because I'm allergic to it?

I don't know enough about shellfish allergies. Can she not just brush her teeth and they are good to go? Because if that's the case, get over it.

However if he could go into anaphylactic shock from even getting somewhat close to someone who breathed the same air as seafood, then I see his concern.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

youknowthatoneguy posted:

I don't know enough about shellfish allergies. Can she not just brush her teeth and they are good to go? Because if that's the case, get over it.

However if he could go into anaphylactic shock from even getting somewhat close to someone who breathed the same air as seafood, then I see his concern.

(from comments)

quote:

depend on how allergic you are. if it is near instance dead if you kiss her that is so risky that it is reasinable to ask someone to give it up, if you only get a little side effect, then it is not. esspecialy since she does do it less, and warns you.

[OP]
I am very allergic but not near death type of allergic however it's a very unpleasant and painful experience.

So GF says "Can't kiss right now, you'll be allergic", OP gets mad because he wanted to 'spend some time together', asks Reddit if he's being unreasonable.

e: Yeah, the insults about her weight are absolutely inappropriate and out of bounds; I didn't see them because the post was deleted. That doesn't make the part about yelling at the DoorDash driver, and leaving her 'service dogs' to bark all day, acceptable.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for having my gf and her child over most nights of the week in a 2/2 apartment with one roommate?

And now, the comments!

If they bark, then they aren't service dogs.

gently caress that lady.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
If she's leaving them alone in the house all day, how are they performing any kind of service?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The dogs wouldn't need to go to the skate park if they hadn't gotten into skating from their skating gateway drug: the heelies.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Bonster posted:

If she's leaving them alone in the house all day, how are they performing any kind of service?

Maybe they're cooking, cleaning, paying bills, doing taxes, that sort of thing? There are more than one ways to help someone out.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

sullat posted:

Maybe they're cooking, cleaning, paying bills, doing taxes, that sort of thing? There are more than one ways to help someone out.

I had not considered that, I withdraw my question.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Bonster posted:

I had not considered that, I withdraw my question.

yeah nothing in the IRC says a dog can't pay taxes

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

DandyLion posted:

yeah nothing in the IRC says a dog can't pay taxes

Heir bud

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
I (F33) struggle with house rules from partner after moving in together (M37)

quote:

I have a lovely boyfriend who would do anything for me. When we started dating I already noted that he likes certain things in a very specific way and that he had a list of rules around the house.

Eg: no drinks or food on the couch, making the bed a certain way, or labeling food in the fridge.

In general I think it's cute and it helps him to be the high achiever and productive man he is.

However since we have moved in together a couple of weeks ago, I find his behaviour more difficult to deal with it.

There seems to be an endless list of 'rules', especially for the kitchen.

Just some examples:

there can't be dirty cups or plates in the sink. (Which is hard as I work from home and eat a lot during the day, so I normally only do dishes in the afternoon and evening).

all tools have to be stored away immediately after usage. (No leaving groceries out on the counter).

leftovers have to be packaged, labeled and stored asap. (No pots or pans with leftovers in the fridge)

only buy food if it's part of your weekly food planner. (No buying cheese, carrots,... if you are not sure what you'll cook with them)

I know they sound like minor things, but it has let me to feel a bit nervous around the kitchen. I seem to be hearing his voice on what I might be doing 'wrong'. ('This isn't clean', 'Why isn't this labeled', 'Why are you opening the cheese if you are not going to use it?').

I know that I'm quite a proud person, meaning that I get defensive immediately if he says anything.

Especially when I'm also a bit stressed from work, I'm just not quick enough on my feet to give a funny response to diffuse the situation.

Sometimes he doesn't say anything, but I can hear him sighing or slamming cupboards, so I tense up and can't really relax, thinking what I have done 'wrong'.

I think he might be a bit high on the neurotic personality trait from the Big 5 Personalities Traits. (For example, he also often has anxiety and finds it hard to control his urges, but is also hardworking and sets high standards for himself.)

How do I find a balance between keeping him happy and not losing myself in behaviour that I find stressful?

TL;DR Lovely boyfriend wants things his way around the house. I am struggling to set boundaries on what I can and want to do, and react appropriately when I feel that I have done something 'wrong'.

My very lovely boyfriend calls me a 'maggot' and makes me do pushups when my boots are scuffed, how do I set boundaries?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

pretty reasonable I guess, but unless he's planning and making her meals too, the food rules are dumb

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

why is she opening the cheese if she's not going to use it though

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Larry Cum Free posted:

My very lovely boyfriend calls me a 'maggot' and makes me do pushups when my boots are scuffed, how do I set boundaries?

I hate both of these people. Why is "you cannot have a beverage on the couch or buy a snack that is not on the pre-approved list" guy dating "uses dirty pans to store leftovers and opens food containers for no reason" lady?

Xombie fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 15, 2022

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Larry Cum Free posted:

I feel like some of this is normal and some of it is weird. Like, yeah I also prefer we don't leave groceries just sitting around to trip over/spoil and like to get leftovers in the fridge in a timely manner. The meal plan thing is weird, though. What's wrong with buying cheese, it lasts a long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Larry Cum Free posted:

Just totally fundamentally incompatible, break up now