Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Hmm. That sounds... not right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

So would you say this game is reformation disco elysium to an extent?

It has no stats or skill checks unlike DE. I'd say it compares to Oxenfree and Kentucky Route Zero more than anything.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dapper_Swindler posted:

So would you say this game is reformation disco elysium to an extent?

The strongest DE influence I've seen so far is thought bubbles to let you know what you're thinking about each of your potential speech choices.

So far its just "The Name of the Rose Lavender" point and click adventure

Which is great

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

4) I love the sheep-based path blocking
And you just know that they’re full of 1, maybe even 2 experience points apiece! I still haven’t figured out how to get a weapon from the smith, he just keeps saying “Hello, Andreas”. I’m hoping it all comes together though

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Basic Chunnel posted:

And you just know that they’re full of 1, maybe even 2 experience points apiece! I still haven’t figured out how to get a weapon from the smith, he just keeps saying “Hello, Andreas”. I’m hoping it all comes together though

I figure I have to figure out how to shear them to get some wool for a puzzle later

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Oasx posted:

Are you unable to change the controls in the game unless you change every single one? It keeps telling me there are Unbound Inputs, despite all of them being bound.
BTW we are looking into this. Thank you for letting us know.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I figure I have to figure out how to shear them to get some wool for a puzzle later

You need the wool to make a fake mustache so you can trick the other monks into thinking you're the former Abbot. Also you have to change the portrait of the former Abbot because he didn't have a mustache.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

cgfreak posted:

It has no stats or skill checks unlike DE. I'd say it compares to Oxenfree and Kentucky Route Zero more than anything.

I understand why people keep expecting Disco Elysium (a game about a murder in an unusual setting with some obvious ideological issues in the background, made by people best known for RPGs) and I hope it doesn't hurt the game s performance.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Jerusalem posted:

You need the wool to make a fake mustache so you can trick the other monks into thinking you're the former Abbot. Also you have to change the portrait of the former Abbot because he didn't have a mustache.

Ok where do I get the masking tape and the maple syrup

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

ilitarist posted:

I understand why people keep expecting Disco Elysium (a game about a murder in an unusual setting with some obvious ideological issues in the background, made by people best known for RPGs) and I hope it doesn't hurt the game s performance.
Gamers are often dumb and there are probably people who go in with dumb expectations, but DE’s not a point of comparison the makers or marketers have really made, aside from maybe a dev here or there acknowledging its success might have made Pentiment less of a risk.

Pentiment’s text-based and adventure-adjacent qualities liken it to DE but it’s immediately evident from even the slightest comparison that they’re not at all similar in tone or approach. DE’s whole thing is verbose maximalism / postmodernism / cleverness. Pentiment is minimalist, straightforward, and earnest.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

St. Moritz / Maurice as the patron of this fictional town. Surely not a significant choice 🤔🤔🤔🤔

E: and a fictional saint tied to the fictional town 🤔🤔

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

If this game gets you to (re-)read Name Of The Rose, as I am, and you want more then look at Jorge Luis Borges' stories. Many are also very much about learning and books, Eco's writing is somewhat similar too. Labyrinths is a great starting point, the original translation.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

v1ld posted:

If this game gets you to (re-)read Name Of The Rose, as I am, and you want more then look at Jorge Luis Borges' stories. Many are also very much about learning and books, Eco's writing is somewhat similar too. Labyrinths is a great starting point, the original translation.
I’ll have you know “Our Lady of the Labyrinths” is an extremely normal name for a 1500s parish

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
E: I also don't like the lack of "manual save." In 2022 I should be able to quick save any time I want. Not asking to have multiple saves so I could savescum, just the ability to "force save" because maybe I need something to do IRL and I can't/don't want to wait until the next auto save point (which I don't know when it'll happen).

YOURFRIEND posted:

I want to play this game because it is from my favorite developer, but it seems to be contextualized by a specific period of history and location that I know nothing about and frankly do not care about. Is it still worth playing?

It sounds like the best reason to play, actually.

Furism fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 15, 2022

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ilitarist posted:

I more mean the writing and story and detail, then mechanics

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The Name of the Lavender: Fresco Elysium

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Furism posted:

E: I also don't like the lack of "manual save." In 2022 I should be able to quick save any time I want. Not asking to have multiple saves so I could savescum, just the ability to "force save" because maybe I need something to do IRL and I can't/don't want to wait until the next auto save point (which I don't know when it'll happen).

Yeah exactly that's it

I'm an adult and sometimes I need to put the game down and I might be back for (indeterminate period of time).

Plus I'm just gonna alt-f4 repeatedly if the save point isn't literally after every conversation bubble is clicked. I'm gonna figure out some way to savescum, even if that means copying the save folder into multiple separate instances, a thing I have done before in roguelikes and will do again. Make it easy for me.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 15, 2022

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Does time pass when you talk to every person? Or just when you do certain actions?

In other words can I spend my time talking to everyone in town before say going to work?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Eason the Fifth posted:

Pentiment: Josh Sawyer's Fresco Elysium

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I like playing with the keyboard, but when I do the mouse cursor disappears. And that means I can't click on the contextual words in the dialogues - if I click it just moves the dialogue ahead. Is there something I'm missing?

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Furism posted:

I like playing with the keyboard, but when I do the mouse cursor disappears. And that means I can't click on the contextual words in the dialogues - if I click it just moves the dialogue ahead. Is there something I'm missing?

I had this issue and then realized I still had a controller attached, is that it?

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
I solved the murder...sort of.

I had to frame the prior for it because there was no way I was throwing Lucky or Sister Mathilda under the ox-cart. I didn't have enough on Martin Bauer to frame him for it, he was out of town and a lovely husband and father so I thought I had a shot of framing him with no one getting hurt. I the end I suppose I fulifilled the goal I set out, to finger the person with the most institutional power I could justify. I couldn't find a way to frame the abbot. :(

Spent time in Flanders
Rapscallion
Studied Medicine
Occultism and Nature for Interests

And now I'm back in town after spending time in England. And we have the Return of Martin Guerre, or Martin Bauer I should say.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Furism posted:

Tab will bring up the margins and show all linked glossary items.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

theblackw0lf posted:

Does time pass when you talk to every person? Or just when you do certain actions?

In other words can I spend my time talking to everyone in town before say going to work?

Time only passes during important event an during the investigation your character will say when time will pass for doing something.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I have to read a bunch of 30 Years War stuff for my final year of my history bachelors and to decompress I will play Pentiment.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

rope kid posted:

Tab will bring up the margins and show all linked glossary items.

Oooh! Thanks!

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Buschmaki posted:

I have to read a bunch of 30 Years War stuff for my final year of my history bachelors and to decompress I will play Pentiment.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Already seeing a lot of thematic stuff that swirled around the periphery of PoE

I don’t mind the lack of a save feature but I’m also approaching it as a game you really cannot and should not multitask around.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

rope kid, game requires a workaround to launch on Linux/Proton though it works perfectly on Steam Deck/Proton. Just FYI. Workaround is documented here: https://www.protondb.com/app/1205520

quote:

Game would not launch without renaming SpeechSynthesisWrapper.dll in <install_folder>/Pentiment_Data/Plugins/
Once I renamed SpeechSynthesisWrapper.dll to SpeechSynthesisWrapper.dll.not the game launches and plays just fine. Deck cloud saves carry over, etc.

It's cool that you folks added text-to-speech, by the way. A very thoughtful detail.

Basic Chunnel posted:

I’ll have you know “Our Lady of the Labyrinths” is an extremely normal name for a 1500s parish

:emptyquote:

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

YOURFRIEND posted:

I want to play this game because it is from my favorite developer, but it seems to be contextualized by a specific period of history and location that I know nothing about and frankly do not care about. Is it still worth playing?

I couldn't imagine being this incurious

Anyway, the game's pretty cool. I'm in the finishing stages of the first murder mystery and feeling like I've hosed everything up chasing a bunch of interesting wild goose chases, and now if I try to do the right and truthful thing I mess up a bunch of plot threads I was interested in, not the greatest feeling but the game is good.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 15, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i just reach the murder and going to take a break before coming back and playing some more later today, but every nun is already the best nun

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
I’ve played an hour and so far this game owns

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

If the quality of this game keeps up it’ll probably be my game of the year.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I don't think people who play those games work in those industries.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

:saddumb:

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
It took me too much time to notice there's a configurable Big Head Mode in the options. I want you all to live with this knowledge.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Every single moment that has come up so far that shows the effects of my choices has ended in a failure. Doesn't feel great.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

So are some of the journal entries bugged or is there only one set?

Otto's entry states that he's married to Eva but I thought they were still in courtship?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i had a journal entry where it was like a kid but talking about him as an adult so yeah some of them seem bugged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

I’m definitely starting to feel choice paralysis knowing I can’t reload if I screw up.

Not a criticism, but man it can be agonizing.