Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Cerebral Bore posted:

you mean again

i mean, europe destroying itself to prove its a good vassal has been incredible content, but nothing compared to if the us decides to onload into its own brainpan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

atelier morgan posted:

i mean, europe destroying itself to prove its a good vassal has been incredible content, but nothing compared to if the us decides to onload into its own brainpan

I'm pretty sure that qu8ckly following that we would probably lauch the nukes because the United States is a font of evil in the world

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Danann posted:

(from t.me/spydell_finance/2249, via tgsa)

back to the thread topic: usa real economy number is still going down and down

physically I’m seeing more imported machinery than I’ve ever seen. there are also large scale changes occurring, like the wide implementation of industrial batteries, that just aren’t visible unless one knows they are happening.

it’s just not going to show up on a lot of metrics for a couple of reasons. 1. a lot of it is to make parts inside supply chains for internal use by those supply chains. This might even make them less efficient but it’s happening anyway. 2. it isn’t coming with jobs.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

taiwan should buy some gundam

they'd end up buying the hyaku shiki from america, meanwhile china just builds some geara dogas.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Facehammer posted:

- The guns they practice with aren't sighted in correctly
- They aren't taught how to adjust the sights

Just from an instructor point of view - and this is with the C7A2 and C79 optical sight - boresighting candidate rifles and then zeroing them on the ranges takes up a good part of the day of their first shoot, and that’s us doing it for them. Teaching them how to do it correctly and then checking their work would probably take a full day. When they graduate to Infantry School or Land Phase Training / Battle School, they learn how to properly set their sights.

So, for example, I would have to set up a rifle, sit next to the prone candidate at the 100m position, and then though my binoculars get an idea of the MPI on the targets. With brand new shooters, it takes even longer as their groups might be all over the place. Then, range control ceases firing, we get the butts to pull the targets, the candidates get them, we explain their grouping, circle the MPI, they try again, we eventually are able to set the windage and alignment on the C79, maybe they’re shooting better, maybe not.

That’s without showing them how to adjust the C79 which we usually just leave on 100m for the first iirc two or three shoots on the range.

All of this to say, these are Reservists, marksmanship and adjusting rifle sights - as opposed to just setting elevation - even teaching basic offset shooting, that’s a significant amount of instruction time.

If you go back to the musketry manual for the Lee-Enfield, they spent dozens, I think a hundred hours or more, of instruction time in the classroom and the ranges to practice marksmanship, but this is not something that’s prioritized now because it eats up a huge chunk of time that could be spent teaching the members of other MOS how to do their jobs.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 19:03 on Nov 15, 2022

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Just from an instructor point of view - and this is with the C7A2 and C79 optical sight - boresighting candidate rifles and then zeroing them on the ranges takes up a good part of the day of their first shoot, and that’s us doing it for them. Teaching them how to do it correctly and then checking their work would probably take a full day. When they graduate to Infantry School or Land Phase Training / Battle School, they learn how to properly set their sights.

So, for example, I would have to set up a rifle, sit next to the prone candidate at the 100m position, and then though my binoculars get an idea of the MPI on the targets. With brand new shooters, it takes even longer as their groups might be all over the place. Then, range control ceases firing, we get the butts to pull the targets, the candidates get them, we explain their grouping, circle the MPI, they try again, we eventually are able to set the windage and alignment on the C79, maybe they’re shooting better, maybe not.

That’s without showing them how to adjust the C79 which we usually just leave on 100m for the first iirc two or three shoots on the range.

All of this to say, these are Reservists, marksmanship and adjusting rifle sights - as opposed to just setting elevation - even teaching basic offset shooting, that’s a significant amount of instruction time.

If you go back to the musketry manual for the Lee-Enfield, they spent dozens, I think a hundred hours or more, of instruction time in the classroom and the ranges to practice marksmanship, but this is not something that’s prioritized now because it eats up a huge chunk of time that could be spent teaching the members of other MOS how to do their jobs.

Certainly interesting, but does it matter in the end? Is the rifle much more than a comfort stick?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

genericnick posted:

Certainly interesting, but does it matter in the end? Is the rifle much more than a comfort stick?

Well that’s the other thing, it doesn’t really matter, crew served weapons account for 90% of casualties so better to train them on their actual jobs and not hitting the bullseye at 500m.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

atelier morgan posted:

Why would it be better to be a vassal of Russia than the USA?

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Ardennes posted:

At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if the US used "Ukrainian tactics" in Taiwan to try to radicalize the population

I doubt it's possible in that the ideologies involved are simply not as blood-and-soil vehement as what's going on in Ukraine. Taiwan was like one of the most wealthiest countries in the world by GDP per capita in the '90s. While it's not doing nearly as well now, can a modern population accustomed to that level of wealth and development really sink to desperate resist at all costs violence? It's comparable to Western Europe, countries that have lived behind the U.S. defense umbrella for over a half a century, where the population regularly responds to "Would you fight to defend your country" polls with No majorities.

That said, the existing military infrastructure and the inherent geographical difficulties of invading an island would probably make the country quite defensible to a land invasion. Now a blockade... that's much tougher.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Fish of hemp posted:

why is the other option being a russian vassal arent there more options?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Fish of hemp posted:

are you from the red alert timeline where that could possibly be a question for germany or terf island

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

sullat posted:

Yeah sometimes some wild stuff gets past the censors. I read one book by an ex-CIA spook where he casually tells an anecdote about how he tried to assassinate Laurent Kabila on behalf of Mobutu in like, 1970 or something.

back in like 2007 some French and Algerian communists made a documentary about Cuban participation in anti-colonial struggles in Africa in the 1960s and 70s, and they managed to get an interview with Larry Devlin, the CIA station chief in the Congo during the Congo Crisis, and he was just straight-up like 'yeah I was instructed to kill Patrice Lumumba and the orders came directly from the White House and we ensured it happened', conversationally and without a hint of shame

he even tells a light-hearted little anecdote, laughing the whole time, about how he had to hide all the poisons he was supplied with, to murder a lawfully elected head of state, in his safe because he was afraid one of his co-workers would use the poisoned toothpaste and die

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

HallelujahLee posted:

Are there?

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Vassal of Polish-dominated Intermarium

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

yes? do you seriously believe russia is going to annex europe or something

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Maximo Roboto posted:

I doubt it's possible in that the ideologies involved are simply not as blood-and-soil vehement as what's going on in Ukraine. Taiwan was like one of the most wealthiest countries in the world by GDP per capita in the '90s. While it's not doing nearly as well now, can a modern population accustomed to that level of wealth and development really sink to desperate resist at all costs violence? It's comparable to Western Europe, countries that have lived behind the U.S. defense umbrella for over a half a century, where the population regularly responds to "Would you fight to defend your country" polls with No majorities.

That said, the existing military infrastructure and the inherent geographical difficulties of invading an island would probably make the country quite defensible to a land invasion. Now a blockade... that's much tougher.

I mean most of Europe has been wealthy for a while, and look it now, a lot can change with the right pressures. I mean at a certain point you cast everything as a life and death struggle then it gets easier to get people scared and controllable, especially if you have more radical elements in the government and on the streets.

I don't think a land invasion is that workable, but also it is unnecessary, Taiwan clearly isn't anywhere close to being self-sufficent. It doesn't mean it couldn't be messy.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

I don't think Western Europe is itching for war anytime soon, even with all that's going on this year, even with the Polish rocket attack today. In any case I mean Taiwanese civil society is pretty analogous to Europe- developed enough to not be seeking war.

In any case, the "Ukrainification" of Taiwan, specifically creating zealous militias the like, just doesn't seem possible at all. The population is placid and I don't think there's a civilian population raring to get into street brawls, much less urban house-to-house fighting and guerrilla warfare. Any sort of conflict involving these countries would be professional militaries, not local equivalents to Azov.

If anything, the violent street elements in Taiwan right now are KMT-aligned pro-reunification organized gang elements affiliated with "White Wolf" Chang An-Lo, a former KMT hatchet man. I don't think there's anything like DPP-aligned equivalent street gangs or anything like that.

At any rate, this is moot because as we both agree, land invasion of Taiwan is unnecessary and unlikely. I think even if the PRC was to choose that, the PLA getting off the beaches and fighting Ukraine-style militias, rather than just the professional armed forces, just seems so far-fetched and techno-thriller it's hard to imagine seriously.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Maximo Roboto posted:

I don't think Western Europe is itching for war anytime soon, even with all that's going on this year, even with the Polish rocket attack today. In any case I mean Taiwanese civil society is pretty analogous to Europe- developed enough to not be seeking war.

In any case, the "Ukrainification" of Taiwan, specifically creating zealous militias the like, just doesn't seem possible at all. The population is placid and I don't think there's a civilian population raring to get into street brawls, much less urban house-to-house fighting and guerrilla warfare. Any sort of conflict involving these countries would be professional militaries, not local equivalents to Azov.

If anything, the violent street elements in Taiwan right now are KMT-aligned pro-reunification organized gang elements affiliated with "White Wolf" Chang An-Lo, a former KMT hatchet man. I don't think there's anything like DPP-aligned equivalent street gangs or anything like that.

At any rate, this is moot because as we both agree, land invasion of Taiwan is unnecessary and unlikely. I think even if the PRC was to choose that, the PLA getting off the beaches and fighting Ukraine-style militias, rather than just the professional armed forces, just seems so far-fetched and techno-thriller it's hard to imagine seriously.

I was speaking more to the rise of openly fascist governments across Europe, many of them who have a pro-US foreign policy. I wouldn't say the issue would be gangs or militias in the first place but a move to a more hardline form of nationalism US would then back that up funded groups. In terms of a blockade, they would push for refusing to surrender to the PRC at any cost and if not openly attacking blockading ships, even if it is disastrous for Taiwan.

The US isn't going to accept the loss of such a critical if not the most critical portion of their containment strategy, and there isn't really a way to arm Taiwan enough to actually stand up to China at this point. The best thing to do is draw them into a quagmire.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

pan-Slavism

it didn't work in the mid-19th century because they weren't thinking big enough

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

HallelujahLee posted:

Well you can also be a vassal state for whoever the bad guys were from sailor moon but I think you need a pretty good national gymnastics team first. I'm not sure on many of the details.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'd rather work for the negaverse than the US government

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

DancingShade posted:

Well you can also be a vassal state for whoever the bad guys were from sailor moon but I think you need a pretty good national gymnastics team first. I'm not sure on many of the details.

probably an improvement over their current situation

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/ebeggin1/status/1592619013397680128

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

Their job is just to make invasion less worthwhile than diplomacy or to hold on until the Seventh Fleet gets there and/or a nuclear exchange begins, so I don’t think it’s worthwhile for Taiwan to invest too much tbh. In what scenario does Taiwan win on the battlefield without the island and/or world being destroyed?

A bunch of reservists being issued busted, non-functional gear they're not trained on, no ammo, and no active soldiers to lead them plus defense planning that just sticks them about to get run over isn't going to delay anything. They'll get squished the way the Iraqi army did during Desert Storm; living target practice for the Chinese troops while they're waiting on the defeat of the real enemy (amphibious logistics).

e: which is to say I doubt these guys are even going to show up in the event of a real invasion, both because mustering them in time is probably going to be impossible assuming preparatory missile strikes on communication infrastructure, and also because "please go lay down in front of the tanks in the hopes that your viscera causes them to throw a track and delays the advance for a hot second" is not like, super motivating.

The Oldest Man has issued a correction as of 21:45 on Nov 16, 2022

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Pretty hard to mobilize for a big invasion secretly. Taiwan, ie the USA, should have plenty of notice.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Weka posted:

Pretty hard to mobilize for a big invasion secretly. Taiwan, ie the USA, should have plenty of notice.

I guess they could do yearly fake invasions like the US does with North Korea?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Weka posted:

Yeah I mean you have to book the catering and check for conflicts in everyone's diaries. It's a real mess.

Also as 2022 has shown you may need to place an order for all your munition needs several years in advance.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/austinblakemays/status/1592898911601307649

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
are they playing that cool parachute game from gym

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

How to tell the world your recruits are paper mache.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Weka posted:

Don't you remember when Pelosi visited Taiwan earlier this year and like three days after she left China did "wargames" that just coincidentally happened to block all major shipping lanes into Taiwan? If China decided to completely blockade Taiwan it would be done 24 hours later. At that point who gives a poo poo about notice, they could take their sweet time prepping for a land invasion. If one was even necessary.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
My point was in response to the claim it would be difficult for Taiwan to muster their reservists in time to respond to a Chinese invasion. Avoiding killing large swathes of the civilian populace seems like it would be in China's interests if they want to integrate the island, so there are I suppose advantages to a surprise attack over a highly telegraphed one.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Weka posted:

My point was in response to the claim it would be difficult for Taiwan to muster their reservists in time to respond to a Chinese invasion. Avoiding killing large swathes of the civilian populace seems like it would be in China's interests if they want to integrate the island, so there are I suppose advantages to a surprise attack over a highly telegraphed one.

It gets into the same issue of with most political wars, how far does China want to go to take Taiwan? Arguably, I think they could win without an invasion and possibly even without direct military contact, but they would probably have to do at least severe harm to the Taiwanese economy. I don't see them getting Taiwan completely cleanly, and that obviously gives the US somewhat of an opening.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Gripweed posted:

Don't you remember when Pelosi visited Taiwan earlier this year and like three days after she left China did "wargames" that just coincidentally happened to block all major shipping lanes into Taiwan? If China decided to completely blockade Taiwan it would be done 24 hours later. At that point who gives a poo poo about notice, they could take their sweet time prepping for a land invasion. If one was even necessary.

Those wargames weren't exactly surprise but expected reaction instead.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

IROP 🇵🇰 posted:

🚨 Pakistan reveals its Indigenous suicide drones at #IDEAS2022.

1- POF made kamikaze drone with 4 rotary blades in visible.

2- "Micro loitering munition". Think of them as flying smart hand grenades.

More details 🔜🇵🇰
(from t.me/EverythingPakistan/4800, via tgsa)

Pakistan is getting in on the drone warfare too.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

do you get free refills on the carrying case or is there like a swap thing like for used propane tanks or is it just a souvenir after the drones blow up?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Real hurthling! posted:

do you get free refills on the carrying case or is there like a swap thing like for used propane tanks or is it just a souvenir after the drones blow up?

That is where you put your Virtual Boy.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/Nickatgreat1220/status/1592916929555369984

:orks:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Whenever I see army vehicles looking extremely clean I imagine the vehicle bays and all the scrubbing that goes on.

Whoever painted that digital camo must have used a ruler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Maybe a robot?