Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Pagger is scottish, about fighting or I suppose battering. Apparently originating from Scottish travellers there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Did yu just call me fookin poggers?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Guavanaut posted:

It's just an obsolete form of cony and a Caribbean word for cunning, because rabbits are very cunning.

I will be hearing no filth about any other meanings.
I used to have pet rabbits, and I assure you they are dumb as poo poo. Very cute though.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
This has nothing to do with the current discussion but I've just chill be across DM interesting website for competing current and 1900 ordinance survey map.
https://bothness.github.io/ons-basemaps

It's both cool and depressing to see how much we've built over in 1.2 centuries.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Sun on life support
https://twitter.com/LKTranslator/status/1592525465109299200

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Wait, is that referring to the Sun specifically, or the “newspaper” as a general concept?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I assume it is the Sun specifically and the quote marks are just that parody account questioning whether the Sun is really a newspaper at all.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Or is it referring to the Sun, the burning orb in the sky? Could be quite inconvenient if that goes.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Comrade Fakename posted:

Or is it referring to the Sun, the burning orb in the sky? Could be quite inconvenient if that goes.

That depends on how it goes.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Aphex- posted:

Thank you for this actually sensible answer. So many people just knee jerk to receiving a DD increase and don't actually look at why it might be happening in the first place.

There was a phone in on Jeremy Vine 2 weeks ago and they had a guy on who'd got Ovo to swap him to a pre payment for his electricity so they'd stop trying to put his direct debit up. He was paying about £100 a month through June to September and 'No-where near the £200 they said I should be paying!!!" Absolutely indignant at it.

At no point did anyone interject to ask him what he was going to do when his electricity bill was £100 a week over the winter, on a system that shuts everything off the second you go over the emergency credit limit.

They did tell him he was paying more for his electricity though, which he also didn't know.

Theres a lot of people who stopped their DD's in the summer to pay monthly with each bill who have absolutely no idea whats coming. The price 'cap' and this not being explained at length every night for weeks on the news is absolutely criminal imo.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Comrade Fakename posted:

Reckon it could be for the best overall

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Comrade Fakename posted:

The Liberation of Night is upon us. :devil:

cat botherer posted:

I used to have pet rabbits, and I assure you they are dumb as poo poo. Very cute though.
They are always very cunning in the stories about trickster gods and so on. Never get confused by the existence of a table or anything.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lmao

This is rather funny given Gin'n'Dorries was previously a contest on the same show and no-one really cared (other than her furious constituency, who voted her in again anyway).

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Pablo Bluth posted:

This has nothing to do with the current discussion but I've just chill be across DM interesting website for competing current and 1900 ordinance survey map.
https://bothness.github.io/ons-basemaps

It's both cool and depressing to see how much we've built over in 1.2 centuries.

Another good one in a similar vein is https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=5.0&lat=56.00000&lon=-4.00000&layers=1&b=1.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Tesseraction posted:

lmao

This is rather funny given Gin'n'Dorries was previously a contest on the same show and no-one really cared (other than her furious constituency, who voted her in again anyway).

Actually she did get the whip withdrawn then but weird how it’s the exact same situation as Hancock but everyone seems to have memory-holed it.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

There was a phone in on Jeremy Vine 2 weeks ago and they had a guy on who'd got Ovo to swap him to a pre payment for his electricity so they'd stop trying to put his direct debit up. He was paying about £100 a month through June to September and 'No-where near the £200 they said I should be paying!!!" Absolutely indignant at it.

At no point did anyone interject to ask him what he was going to do when his electricity bill was £100 a week over the winter, on a system that shuts everything off the second you go over the emergency credit limit.

They did tell him he was paying more for his electricity though, which he also didn't know.

Theres a lot of people who stopped their DD's in the summer to pay monthly with each bill who have absolutely no idea whats coming. The price 'cap' and this not being explained at length every night for weeks on the news is absolutely criminal imo.

I stopped DDing Ecotricity ages back as I couldn't trust them not to completely gently caress up again like they did when they changed their account number and the system decided the account was still in my ex-wife's name, despite it being in mine for the previous 4 years. So they lump summed about £600 out of my account all at once.
It's exceedingly difficult to get meter reading withe box buried in a cupboard 10ft in the air, so what happens January, they start charging me 4x rates or some bullshit?

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
List of MPs who have not been found to demean politics:

Mark Francois
etc

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Noxville posted:

Actually she did get the whip withdrawn then but weird how it’s the exact same situation as Hancock but everyone seems to have memory-holed it.

Presumably because no-one takes her seriously whereas Mancock was health secretary during a period of mass death where he broke his own rules.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

lol Paul Mason

https://twitter.com/tomorrowsmps/status/1592501656046153729?s=20&t=v0Lh0QdjC4dQu-UR40kY8w

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Tinker is absolutely a slur for Travellers in the North of Scotland. Also just shortened to tink.
It feels like another example of tone police not really understanding what they're doing. Like saying "I am knackered" = "I am a tired as a horse ready to be sent to a yard where it will be killed for being too old." The presence of travellers in that metaphor is incidental and has little to no bearing.

If however you point at someone dressed in trackies and who is not particularly well presented and call them knacker ned (a phrase I've heard my brother who lives in Belfast use), then yes, that would be a bit racist probably.

I think we had the discussion a while back about tinker / tinkering. Like somebody being described as tinkering with their car, or being a tinkerer because they repair scrap, probably not bad. If however an older person catches a kid stealing or being naughty and calls them a little tinker, then yeah, that's the bad one.

E: willing to accept I might be wrong though and it might sound worse to someone more familiar with the slur. If for example someone described themself as 'jewing around in my shed," I'd have questions no matter how innocent their meaning.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 15, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think with both tinker and knacker there's a pre-existing profession that only became associated with Travellers due to stereotypes and it being ill regarded in its time, like being an itinerant tinsmith instead of a big burly blacksmith.

Tinkering in a shed implies soldering and small work rather than forging and welding, so it fits. You can very easily knacker things in your shed too, often as a result of tinkering.

Jew isn't a profession though, so I'm not sure what that would even imply other than some offensive stereotype. Desecrating hosts in one's shed maybe.

But by analogy you can absolutely be antisemitic by using 'banker' and 'loanshark' about Jews, even though those are real (and often ill regarded) jobs.

I don't think you can bank in a shed though. That sounds more like a crypto thing.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Eddie Izzard going from touted London Mayor, to failed NEC candidate to 3rd rate candidate for a parliamentary seat is very funny.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

drat, imagine if politics got demeaned

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Also on a seperate note, we got a letter from one of the debt collection agencies Bulb uses (Ophelos) saying we owe about £250. Apparently the whole 'just don't pay, there's nothing they can do' thing is not real, because they can and will pass it on to a collection agency who will try and make you pay over twice what you owe.

We contacted Bulb and paid off our remaining balance with them (about £100), contacted Ophelos and told them we'd paid off Bulb, and they're sorting it out between them. What I'm concerned about is the possibility that the £100 we paid Bulb was just the remaining debt on the account - if the debt was originally £350 and they passed £250 of it onto Ophelos, and that £250 is still outstanding.

Still waiting to hear back from them but yeah, seems like the whole plan of just not paying isn't really an option.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 15, 2022

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I switched off the direct debit nonsense ages ago. The prices will go up when they go up, there's no benefit to having my money sitting in their bank account rather than my own.

I'm currently in credit due to the government payouts. Scrooge lifestyle ftw. Apr/May/Jun/Jul I was somehow using ~200 units per month but I'm down to just 130 over the last 33 days. That thermos investment is paying off.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

I think with both tinker and knacker there's a pre-existing profession that only became associated with Travellers due to stereotypes and it being ill regarded in its time, like being an itinerant tinsmith instead of a big burly blacksmith.

Tinkering in a shed implies soldering and small work rather than forging and welding, so it fits. You can very easily knacker things in your shed too, often as a result of tinkering.

Jew isn't a profession though, so I'm not sure what that would even imply other than some offensive stereotype. Desecrating hosts in one's shed maybe.

When I was growing up in the days when anti-Semitism required slightly more than saying Palestinians have a right to live, "jewing" someone was to take something from someone that was rightfully theirs. Like, you'd hear someone say that their uncle didn't get his bonus at work because management "jewed him out of it".

Regarding tinkering: there used to be a lot more metalwork to it. The stigma was down to the fact that while tinkers have all the skills of a smith they don't make anything new; they only mend the work of others. So if you took your pot to a tinker to be fixed you were distrusting the work of the man who made it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jedit posted:

When I was growing up in the days when anti-Semitism required slightly more than saying Palestinians have a right to live, "jewing" someone was to take something from someone that was rightfully theirs. Like, you'd hear someone say that their uncle didn't get his bonus at work because management "jewed him out of it".

My mum once said "We're not trying to Jew you, don't worry." on the phone to a customer and I had to give her a telling off.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Like an 'Indian gift', which I assume refers to the contents of the British Museum :hmmyes:

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

What did the Tinker do in that film?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Faked paintings for Ian McShane I think.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I've got tink but I'm not a tinker

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Guavanaut posted:

But by analogy you can absolutely be antisemitic by using 'banker' and 'loanshark' about Jews, even though those are real (and often ill regarded) jobs.

I don't think you can bank in a shed though. That sounds more like a crypto thing.

Ah yes, "be in your own shed" and other such fantasies from the cryptocurrency-loving loony left.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Guavanaut posted:

Depends on how airworthy your shed is.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Yikes

https://twitter.com/BreakingDotUK/status/1592589701554536448

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jedit posted:

Man I've never heard that IRL, only in... I want to say a clip from Clerks 2?

E: No wait, Clerks 2 was "porch monkey". Not sure where I heard "jewed" then, and I'm not gonna spend my evening typing 'he jewed me' into youtube to find out

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Probably South Park.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I vaguely remember it becoming a thing at some point when I was in school, so south park is conceivably to blame.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Could "git" as a slur for Romani be derived from the French word "gitane"?

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Git means "bastard" as in illegitimate, from the word "get" meaning offspring (aka "Lizzie's get in their fuckin' palaces and their silly hats").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Question for the thread, unfortunately quite a grim one:

Some family friends recently had a relative pass away unexpectedly. Said relative lived some distance away, was a very private person and prone to dropping out of contact unannounced for long periods, and also was relatively young and not thought to have health issues, so unfortunately by the time the alarm was raised they'd been deceased inside their house for several weeks and the body couldn't be formally identified through visual means.

The family submitted DNA for the identification a few weeks ago but hadn't heard anything back, so they called the plod this week and were told the timeframe for formal identification was 'mid-January at the earliest'. They're obviously devastated by this, they can't hold a funeral or do anything to move forward without the identifiaction.

Does anyone know if three months is a normal timeframe for this? A part of the breakdown of public services in the UK generally? Or did they get bad information and should try following up again? Tried looking it up myself but got all kinds of contradictory answers :(.