Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1592598645781979137

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Tevery Best posted:

Russia, meanwhile, not only variably denies, defends, or outright praises the atrocities it committed in that same conflict

Literally most NATO and EU states do this. It doesn't matter. Opinions will reflect what the political need is.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

here's hoping that's it

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Which has a ground attack mode that Russia has been using.

Could air defense even leave a gaping hole like that?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

So it could have been a S300 that Russia uses in the ground to ground role (which I believe are incredibly inaccurate as they weren't really designed for that) or a Ukrainian S300 that went off course trying to down a Russian missile. Which is not unheard of.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What’s Russia’s response gonna be? Are we gonna get so much as an “oops, sorry”?

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

S-300 range isn't really long enough for it to be russian if it is an S-300, though i'm not sure how that picture is close to what that looks like.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Charliegrs posted:

So it could have been a S300 that Russia uses in the ground to ground role (which I believe are incredibly inaccurate as they weren't really designed for that) or a Ukrainian S300 that went off course trying to down a Russian missile. Which is not unheard of.

Ukraine will claim the former, Russia will claim the latter.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

FishBulbia posted:

The range of the strike might tell us which it was, but it certainly muddies the water as to what happened

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Could the rocket stage of that even make a blast that big though? People on twitter are claiming (probably from info obtained in rear end) that the crater is too deep

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
some s300s have up to 150kg warheads so yes. it's also a 1500kg missile moving at very high speed

bigger question would be range

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 15, 2022

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FishBulbia posted:

I think the interpretation is that it may be Ukrainian air defense missile that went off course.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

S-300 range isn't really long enough for it to be russian if it is an S-300, though i'm not sure how that picture is close to what that looks like.

It might have been launched from Belarus

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

S-300 pic is from 2020 it seems.

https://twitter.com/ain92ru/status/1314296230462320645

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I don't know if NATO's credibility is going to be seriously threatened by failing to go to war over a most-probably-accidental missile that killed two people. If it happens again then yeah, the probabilities start getting increasingly fuzzy, but for now some combination of diplomatic assurances that this will absolutely not happen again and defensive military measures to shoot down further missiles should demonstrate that NATO is taking this seriously while maintaining a level of proportionate response.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

that was being posted as a reference pic for s300 wreckage

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Two photos out there - the one in these tweets is a daytime pic, but the other one is nighttime and matches the weather more.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Night time pic of the engine fragment? Or is there more

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1592598645781979137?s=46&t=qD0Dca3eiHoILU_KagEOjQ

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

The night time image is the only one of the missile that I've seen

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
And here in lies the problem with Twitter investigations.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I think what’s highly unusual here is the fact it was two missiles, at least from what’s reported. Usually mishaps like this are limited to a single missile. Photos so far show one crater. It could be there was one missile with a secondary explosion. Two would be very unusual.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Is the right not the reference pic and left the claimed part at site, or am I misunderstanding. Im trying to determine if the left pic is the only one so far.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Really hope that Poland keeps a cool head over this

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Is the right not the reference pic and left the claimed part at site, or am I misunderstanding. Im trying to determine if the left pic is the only one so far.

Indeed the left one is the only one I’ve seen so far people agreeing is from today.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

again, that's literally a reference image being posted for comparison

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Salisbury is proof that gently caress all will happen.
Same for that Dutch plane the Russians shot down

Yeah I think talks of Article 5 is a little amusing given that Russia has been killing civilians in the streets of various European capitals for 20 years and we've done nothing about that. Hell they blew up an ammunition dump in Czechia and we sort of just shrugged.

But now!!!!

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

The left one is the picture that's of interest - it was already getting dark when they apparently fell (3:30pm, 5 hours ago), and the news with pictures started leaking in 3 hours later still.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Two missiles lends credence to this being stray air defense missiles. You'd fire two at a high-risk target.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Owling Howl posted:

Yeah I think talks of Article 5 is a little amusing given that Russia has been killing civilians in the streets of various European capitals for 20 years and we've done nothing about that. Hell they blew up an ammunition dump in Czechia and we sort of just shrugged.

But now!!!!

Isn't step 1 of Article 5 Poland actually invoking it? Which I suppose they could do but it seems likely they won't want to at this time.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I’ll echo what the Polish retired general Koziej just said on the news, that the most likely thing to happen is Poland extending it’s missile defence over western Ukraine by stationing air defence on the border. That area could easily stretch a few hundred kilometers east.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Griefor posted:

Isn't step 1 of Article 5 Poland actually invoking it? Which I suppose they could do but it seems likely they won't want to at this time.

It would probably be more then this for Article 5 to be invoked - probably Russia owning up to it and the attack being targeted on major military or civilian infrastructure. As it stands, it’s a tractor in a field.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1592606786544365571

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Tevery Best posted:

People don't hate Germany anymore because Germany has spent the past seventy five years excising that which made them hated. Its political system, its society, its culture are all firmly against the crimes and atrocities Germany committed in World War II, against the ideology that enabled those atrocities, and against anyone who would defend or support them. Anybody who's somebody in Germany rejects and condemns those atrocities, and the system has safeguards in it to stop anything similar from happening. For that reason, people are confident when Germans show contrition and regret that they mean it, and that a return to the dark times is unlikely.

Russia, meanwhile, not only variably denies, defends, or outright praises the atrocities it committed in that same conflict, it continues to do the same with the atrocities it committed in Eastern Europe for the following forty-five years, and to glorify the ideology that enabled those crimes, the people who perpetrated them, and their consequences. Finally, it continues to commit atrocities to this day, including right now. Whenever it professes contrition or regret, it rings hollow, and for a number of years the Russian decision makers have moved away from that notion entirely, anyway. Therefore, there is no reason for confidence that they will stop doing what got them hated in the first place.

The "normalisation" of Germany did not happen in a vacuum or by decree or by the way of people moving on and forgetting, it happened because the Germans worked to make it happen. Any such normalisation for Russia would require that Russia actually goes through a similar path.

Fair to point out that a big reason Germany changed so much was because its enemies killed and jailed everyone responsible for the crimes. That just won't happen with Russia.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
May have been remains of a missile shot down by UA air-defense missile...

quote:

Mariusz Gierszewski, the reporter for Poland’s ZET Radio who initially wrote that stray Russian rockets had hit Poland, tweeted an update that remains of a shot-down rocket likely hit eastern Poland.

Gierszewski tweeted:

quote:

My sources in the services say that what hit Przewowo is most likely the remains of a rocket shot down by the Armed Forces of Ukraine.
https://twitter.com/MariuszGierszew/status/1592595507427545088

Source: Guardian Updates pages

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
We'll probably need to wait a bit to see what it actually is. Not going to end in nuking russia of course but I don't se how killing civilians can also be just :shrug:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Russia shot down an entire airliner full of civilians and nothing happened.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Popete posted:

Russia shot down an entire airliner full of civilians and nothing happened.

Circumstances change. Do you think nothing would happen if Russia shot down a civilian airliner today?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

It seems like "a cylinder with rivet holes in it" isn't the easiest part of a missile to ID

https://twitter.com/OAggregation/status/1592609641003126784

US seems to think it's Russia though

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1592593237902036992

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Does it make a difference if the Russian missile flying over NATO airspace was caught by air defense, fell and killed 2 people vs the missile actually detonating and hitting the people?