Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

tithin posted:

Good news - I reached out to the mods / admins and they've checked in on waah - still alive, just been busy with life and he hopes to post sometime in the near future.

:unsmith: That's a relief!

Also the remake looks amazing, can't decide if I should get the Switch or Steam version. Steam will undoubtedly have QoL mods, but I did like the portability of the PSP version so Switch might make more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Bregor posted:

:unsmith: That's a relief!

Also the remake looks amazing, can't decide if I should get the Switch or Steam version. Steam will undoubtedly have QoL mods, but I did like the portability of the PSP version so Switch might make more sense.

Steam version may also be portable with steam deck, so there's that.

Personally i'm trying to pick between Steam and PS5.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Steam because mods will exist, particularly for anything that might be weird or a massive waste of time like crafting in the PSP was.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I can't resist the Switch portability. It's the only console that I really ever play.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I chose the pc port because I got a steam deck

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

tithin posted:

I chose the pc port because I got a steam deck

#humblebrag

Just kidding - I can see that. I probably would too if I had one, but I have too much gaming hardware as it is. I've thought about getting on Odin Pro as well.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Buy on a PS4, play on a Vita - like nothing's changed.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I feel a little bad for the person who worked so hard on the One Vision mod for the PSP version. It's apparently 99% done but will be pre-empted by the remake. That is coincidental but rather ironic timing.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Ah, the Yet Another Metroid 2 Remake problem.

Well, they'll probably dodge the cease and desist.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

SIGSEGV posted:

Ah, the Yet Another Metroid 2 Remake problem.

Well, they'll probably dodge the cease and desist.

I hadn't thought of that issue but, you're right... once it's out there online, it's out forever. I just happened to check development yesterday on a whim. Development of that mod started almost five years ago, October 2017, and he's up to version 0.996.

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

I pray for a color palette that will not come.
I'm looking forward to the fifty inevitable class mods that'll release for the PC version.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Pyre of Word Salsa posted:

I'm looking forward to the fifty inevitable class mods that'll release for the PC version.

not an empty quote

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

I am not because I'm buying the Switch version.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

And the inevitable FFT full conversion mod.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Evil Fluffy posted:

And the inevitable FFT full conversion mod.

That already came out, it's called Final Fantasy Tactics

Given that the PSP port took a lot of inspiration from FFT I hope it's just a matter of time that FFT repays the favor.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

dotchan posted:

That already came out, it's called Final Fantasy Tactics

Given that the PSP port took a lot of inspiration from FFT I hope it's just a matter of time that FFT repays the favor.

I don't understand why FFT isn't on Switch/PS4/Steam etc

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

it was on the Geforce leak, so it may happen.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

JustJeff88 posted:

It's not a mainline FF and it's very niche so I don't think SE thinks it can be milked for much cash (the tradition rich memberberry feasts tend to be reserved for Dragon Quest games). Also, for better or worse, SE does like innovating and iterating on stuff when it comes to the FF series.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

JustJeff88 posted:

I've heard FFT was far less popular in Japan than it was here.

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

Gotta love how Tactics Ogre PSX was a much bigger failure in the west, since people saw it as a crappy FFT clone and not knowing that TO predated it.

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

Looks like the guy who did a lot of word of mouth stuff and videos for One Vision got an early review copy of the game.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Looks like the guy who did a lot of word of mouth stuff and videos for One Vision got an early review copy of the game.

I knew who that was without even looking: Coffee Potato. That guy sleeps, eats and breathes TO

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
He's really rambly but definitely had details on some of the gameplay changes some of us were wondering about. I tried compiling some things he noticed into shorter bullet points:

Coffee Potato is still under NDA for things that aren't in Chapter 1

First two tutorial battles are a lot less one-sided than before
Chapter 1 is a lot more balanced thanks to important skills being included with classes earlier, and scaling to the chapter's needs better

Weapon types have inherent skills which differentiate them from each other.

1 handers get Parry (which also includes Deflect vs. ranged)
2 handers get innate Counter
2-handers in general are much more worth it than before, one of the reasons being that Mighty Strike gives its effect without expending itself, in a Pincer attack

1H staves increase spell range while 2H staves increase magic effectiveness
Much like melee, 1H bows give Parry/Deflect while 2H bows give Counter (ranged)
Parries and Counters may trigger multiple times in the same attack string, which means pincer attacks with multiple units will see this a lot

Weapon skill growth is greatly accelerated from previous games, like 10x. It's enough that gitting gud at a weapon in the middle of a battle can turn the tide

Clerics can burst damage really hard now with Wrathful Strike since they get mountains of MP and you can set the character element to Light
Healing is rather fixed in effectiveness, doesn't scale much for some reason. I'm not sure what the full consequences of that are, aside from the need for bigger heal spells

Revives provide a turn to the revived character immediately on wakeup(? this was slightly unclear)
The devs knew players stocked up on Grimoire Exorcism so they made a consumable that has its effect on undead, but now is a bottle of holy water that looks like a blue Holy Hand Grenade

TP is no longer a thing so mages seem like they could be pretty strong with their own ults as well like Cleric
Looks like hybrid physical/magic characters scale somewhat with weapon skills

A lot of crunchy buffs that used to require specific TO PSP skill learning to get up and running come up quickly in Reborn, both innately with characters and the classes they're in, plus the buff cards on field. "Momentum" is the key term here
His impression of the cards on the field is that it provides a lot of variety in each battle, instead of the typical "both sides line up and clash in a rugby scrum"
You can also break destructible terrain like boxes for more cards

Both bulking up with the high armor threshold in Reborn, vs. going offense heavy and going for quick victories in the game are viable

Melee units: beefy, need momentum to set up big damage (cards)
Mages: consistent ranged damage
Ranged physicals like Archer: now they have to build up some steam to start deleting units
Spells have crit and knockback like physicals now

there's some hyper-hinting at some kind of multiplayer "feature" coming in a future update or DLC
One of the hints: there's a profanity filter for naming characters. in a single player game. Which might mean that characters are viewable in some way by others, down the line
(Tactics Ogre PSP had a simple mode where you put together a team to throw at others as a challenge)

Instead of random encounters, the source of XP tickets ("charms"): excess XP from leveling in Training battles, because there is a level cap depending on where in the game you are...

Previewer says the mouse+keyboard controls are legit. You can rebind keys so it's up to you how convenient you want to make it
mouse+keyboard controls apply to both PC and Switch

In addition to individual AI settings, AI settings for your party can also be switched "all ON" and "all OFF"

Exploit fix for Chariot to prevent savescumming stuff like debuffs or random drops. No word on whether Coax persuasion/recruitment is affected by this unfounded speculation, consult the TO:Reborn thread

Coffee Potato felt that some English voices were spot-on while others were unexpected. (not gonna lie, after hearing the previews on Squeenix media posts I'm not impressed. the voice mixing vs. the context of the scenes felt disjointed)

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 13, 2022

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Exploit fix for Chariot to prevent savescumming stuff like debuffs or random drops. No word on whether Coax persuasion/recruitment is affected by this

:stonk:

Hope recipe books and the like are 100%

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Bregor posted:

:stonk:

Hope recipe books and the like are 100%

im pretty sure unique items are now 100% drops

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Oh, if you're learning about TO:Reborn from my effortpost, definitely head over to the thread for it instead and ask about stuff over there. I don't stand by the text above because it was pre-release rough details I could glean from that video.

I have the game now, but I'm not even close to the part where unique items are acquired at all

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

I can confirm that you can save scum Recruit skills in Reborn via Chariot. Got a few monster units from Phorampa Wildwood this way.

Also, Octopus are now actually incredibly useful now.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

I can confirm that you can save scum Recruit skills in Reborn via Chariot. Got a few monster units from Phorampa Wildwood this way.

Also, Octopus are now actually incredibly useful now.

do you still need to reseed the RNG by performing different actions on the same turn or turn before the recruit?

Like: Move to left side, recruit. Chariot. Move to right side, recruit. Chariot. Move to front, recruit. Chariot. Move to left and attack, recruit.....

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

You have to reseed the RNG every time, yes. It seems like they've altered RNG to a degree, though. Could be wrong about this, but anytime I tried to attack with a stunned unit that would stumble, they'd stumble 100% of the time.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Any different action, even ending a move on a different square, seems to give a different result. No idea if doing a quicksave to main menu and loading the quicksave resets those entirely too or not.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
maybe there was no exploit fix at all :shrug:

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.
in the PSP version, you could use Chariot in the middle of your turn (eg attack, miss, Chariot to start of turn, move, attack, hit); as long as you didn't go to an earlier turn, it didn't count as a use of Chariot for the purpose of the game stats and a title. In Reborn, you can only use Chariot at the beginning of the turn (so attack, miss, End Turn, Chariot to previous turn, move, attack, hit). That might be the exploit they were talking about.

NullBlack fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 14, 2022

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
That was only really useful for cheesing the title which required no Chariot use, I think? The Trophy list doesn't have a Trophy for that nor for fallen units, so that makes me happy to just Chariot away:)

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

And if you're really insistent on getting the no-chariot title on the PC version you can always use Cheat Engine to set Chariot uses to 0 before going into the final battle.

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

Looks like the Cheat Table on Fearless Cheat Engine is adding a 100% Recruitment code tonight, which might mean you can recruit enemy-only classes. Going to test it out on Templars to see if they fixed them for this version.

Given the trends leading up to the release, I'm going to guess people are going to try to use the table and recruit Gatialo, our racist best friend, like a bunch of weirdos.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Okay, so early Chapter 1 impressions:

- The OST is once again dope, love what they've done with some of the tracks. Particularly the first battle in Krysaro, not sure if it was Three Kings or Avilla Hanya, but whichever it was I was fuckin' feeling it.
- Love that if an enemy picks up a bag to steal your loot, then you murder them, they always drop that loot. Had to do that with the Peregrine's Marks at Lake Bordu.
- Archers are more balanced, and that's good. Using MP for Tremendous Shot slows you down a bit, in the PSP version it was shoot once >> 40 TP >> Tremendous Shot until you win. Now you can only TS every two or three turns.
- Is there any way to predict auto ability activation? It's annoying to see your mages not use Meditate and be low on MP. I guess I'll need to eat MP items after all. Same with Instill spells for RF/Valk, especially since the damage seems to be greater.
- Similarly, the blue cards kind of suck? The ability and crit ones don't seem to help that much and they just visually clog up the battlefield.
- Having only four skills is going to be rough, I'm about to enter Balmamusa and I'm already getting crunched a bit. Also means you can't really have two different weapon types equipped effectively (melee plus 1H crossbow or blowgun, for example).
- Speaking of Balmamusa, I think I'm going L first. My PSP all-titles run I went C then N then L, and that's just too long to go without some of those characters.

But yeah, it rules, wish I could just take off work all week and binge it but oh well.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

Bregor posted:

- Similarly, the blue cards kind of suck? The ability and crit ones don't seem to help that much and they just visually clog up the battlefield.

blue cards may be kinda weak early on; they do start to make a difference as the game progresses. You're going to want to pick them up, either to buff yourself or keep them away from enemies, when it's convenient.

conversely, the green cards (the permanent buffs) feel pointless. The boost provided is less than 1pt per card, and they don't drop frequently enough to add up to anything (I'm in chapter 3 now, and I think I could count the number of green cards I've seen with one hand).

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Yeah.

Think of the blue cards as multipliers.

When you're weak, they're weak, and the difference between a normal char and a card'd char is low.

When you're strong, they're strong, and the difference between a normal char and a card'd char is greater. The stronger you get, the bigger the difference they make.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Yeah I'm already noticing the physical and magical ones making a difference in Ch.2. It does seem like a weird thing to add, it has no relationship to the Tarot card theme and is just really random.

Also, a lot of the voice actors seem very similar with their delivery. Nybeth in particular was disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I think the buff cards would've been more thematic and fun if they were minor arcana. Swords is obviously +phys, wands +mag, coins would be +skill, cups +MP? Heck. +phys and +mag is already a sword and a wand anyway! It's a real missed opportunity.