Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gobias Ind. posted:

Ben Nicholson-Smith is a Jays writer/reporter. Not sure where Maryland is coming from.

I was honestly just making a dumb assumption/joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/1592630644630224897

Yankees always overpay. It's what they do.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I thought they were always cheap?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Relatedly, Tyler Anderson got 3/30 from the Angels

That's really surprising, I thought he'd stick with the Dodgers plus I thought he'd parlay this season into more than that

Sad that Rizzo isn't gonna be an Astro but not surprised

That's pretty much the exact sort of deal I'd have been thrilled about the Astros making with him

Intruder fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 15, 2022

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

That contract is, per season, almost identical to what he was making, so........?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Happy that Rizzo is back and the contract seems pretty much perfect. Now go get the other half of Jizzo back.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

This seems like a good deal for him? He was paid $16M last season. Basically an extra couple of years tacked on for an additional $1M per year ($4M if they decline option)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Crazy Ted posted:

That contract is, per season, almost identical to what he was making, so........?

Yeah, that's seems like a good deal. Rizzo got an extra year and a slight pay bump. He either gets a third year or a buyout. He probably could have tried to get more elsewhere. I imagine some team would have given him 3 years guaranteed. But I guess he wanted to get a deal done? Or the market is gonna be soft.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
mcmagic thinks Rizzo should play for the Yankees out of the kindness of his heart and not demand any money whatsoever

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Fingers crossed for Abreu now

I get the feeling they'll just bring Yuli back and hope his playoff run was more indicative of what he has left than his regular season

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

I get the feeling they'll just bring Yuli back and hope his playoff run was more indicative of what he has left than his regular season

Bell seems like more of an Astros guy than Abreu.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Some Numbers posted:

Didn't he set some obscene record for making contact?

Ended the season with a .298/.373/.400 slash. I can't remember if there were any metrics over the season he set for making contact but pretty much every outlet has pointed out his patience and batting eye is downright unreal.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

Cubs are apparently big on Abreu and I'd hope we'd have the edge given he wouldn't have to move cities, but our FO the last couple years they'll get outbid and then spend all offseason assuring fans of how much they believe in Patrick Wisdom.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

STAC Goat posted:

They are!!! They are a poorly run team as you know.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 15, 2022

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Edit: Looks like I was beaten!

Tyler Anderson to the Angels

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/stat...-the-al-west%2F

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Bell seems like more of an Astros guy than Abreu.

Astros place a pretty high premium on infield defense

e: huh Bell actually has a slightly better dWAR

I could see Yuli coming back at this point. Rizzo was kind of a perfect fit

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Intruder posted:

Astros place a pretty high premium on infield defense

Vastly more important now with no shift. Need guys that can go get it

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Monathin posted:

Ended the season with a .298/.373/.400 slash. I can't remember if there were any metrics over the season he set for making contact but pretty much every outlet has pointed out his patience and batting eye is downright unreal.

I don't remember the specifics, but he or someone else had an insane streak of PAs or swings without a swing and miss.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I was very surprised to see the Rockies added Riley Pint to their 40 man. He had retired a few years ago because he just seemed to not have it, but he recently un-retired and had put up very average numbers in AA.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Some Numbers posted:

I don't remember the specifics, but he or someone else had an insane streak of PAs or swings without a swing and miss.

Oh, yep, that was him, that was waaaay back at the start of the season, too: 116 pitches without a swing-and-miss.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

MrMidnight posted:

Edit: Looks like I was beaten!

Tyler Anderson to the Angels

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/stat...-the-al-west%2F

The Angels are BACK

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

I was very surprised to see the Rockies added Riley Pint to their 40 man. He had retired a few years ago because he just seemed to not have it, but he recently un-retired and had put up very average numbers in AA.
this sounds like a very Rockies move, he must have gone to church with Monfort or something

Poque posted:

The Angels are BACK
don’t worry they undo all his progress by telling him not to throw his best off speed pitch or something

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I feel like Rizzo signing is a good sign for Yankees fans that Judge is coming back. If he were just signing for money I feel like he could have done better, seems like he and Judge may have been talking about their plans

Unless he just Loves The Pinstripes

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bawfuls posted:

don’t worry they undo all his progress by telling him not to throw his best off speed pitch or something

I have never worried about the Angels and am not about to start now

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Poque posted:

The Angels are BACK

The Angels are signing a guy who was bad/injured until the Dodgers fixed him

That's a bad plan

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Intruder posted:

The Angels are signing a guy who was bad/injured until the Dodgers fixed him

That's a bad plan

at least it's not andrew heaney

an entire rotation of LHP is quite a thing though

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Intruder posted:

I feel like Rizzo signing is a good sign for Yankees fans that Judge is coming back. If he were just signing for money I feel like he could have done better, seems like he and Judge may have been talking about their plans

Unless he just Loves The Pinstripes

All the noise and extra stuff we talk about is probably all secondary. He’s probably not gonna sign because of his buddy any more than because of being named captain or fans being jerks. It all probably factors into Judges mindset but ultimately it’s a question of whether the Yankees are gonna cheap out on him. As long as they’re in the ballpark of what he wants and is being offered I think it will be worked out.

Rizzos signing I guess indicates they’re not gonna be cheap although obviously there’s a world between Rizzos contract and Judges. And it at least defuses some of the noise that all the players hate the fans or whatever. I dunno. Judge isn’t saying anything and Yankees aren’t saying much except that they’re talking. But I think that’s a good sign. Yankees aren’t trying to spin or leak stuff or hedge expectations. So I think they think it’s gonna get done.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Do we know if the Yankees are going to spend to actually add guys beyond their FA core of Rizzo, Judge, etc? Because one of the Cespedes Family BBQ guys made the point on their podcast today, which I agree with, that the 2022 team as constructed was not good enough to win a title, so they should be adding beyond that. But I don't know if they are going to shell out for a Correa or Bogaerts when they have Volpe coming up soon and they are going to have to give Judge half a billion

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Do we know if the Yankees are going to spend to actually add guys beyond their FA core of Rizzo, Judge, etc? Because one of the Cespedes Family BBQ guys made the point on their podcast today, which I agree with, that the 2022 team as constructed was not good enough to win a title, so they should be adding beyond that. But I don't know if they are going to shell out for a Correa or Bogaerts when they have Volpe coming up soon and they are going to have to give Judge half a billion

I should have a podcast because I've been saying exactly this for like 3 years.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Idk if this is just wild speculation or real, but drat might as well get Correa too and force Dodgers fans to root for all the guys we loathe

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1592640187129298944?s=46&t=CdijuUBoYJQO5dJ5MvLFxA

JV is the last of the big four that hasn’t been a Dodger yet so might as well complete the set I guess? (Kersh/Greinke/Scherzer/Verlander)

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 15, 2022

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bawfuls posted:

Idk if this is just wild speculation or real, but drat might as well get Correa too and force Dodgers fans to root for all the guys we loathe

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1592640187129298944?s=46&t=CdijuUBoYJQO5dJ5MvLFxA

He should know better than to lead his tweet with "x to y" lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Why do the dodgers who have unlimited money care about picks lol. Signing Verlander instead of deGrom because of that is very stupid.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Anderson is an oft-injured soon-to-be 33 year old coming off the absolute best year of his career in terms of IP, ERA, and FIP, conjured up by Dodgers pitching magic. Signing him seems like an absolute trap so I am not at all surprised the Angels jumped the market for him.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Why do the dodgers who have unlimited money care about picks lol. Signing Verlander instead of deGrom because of that is very stupid.
the Dodgers are good at getting value from picks and deGrom has an even worse injury track record than Kershaw and Verlander at this point

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

FlamingLiberal posted:

They’ve made it very clear they’re going with Cabrera/Peraza/Volpe in the IF. With Rizzo resigned I would be shocked if they add anyone else. The only question was if they’re try and unload Donaldson but they seem to be indicating they rather just squeeze whatever he has left out instead of paying to get rid of him.

They should pick up LFer but I don’t see any clear game changers and they probably don’t want to lock up things with Stanton. If they lose Judge then all bets are off.

They can obviously add a starter or two. That’s where I’d guess their focus is beyond Judge.

Edit: There’s an outside chance they could trade Gleyber to try and upgrade somehow? But I don’t think so. That just feels like baseless sports radio nonsense to me. I don’t think he’s untouchable or anything but I don’t see the scenario where it makes the Yankees better.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 15, 2022

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Chad makes an important point here

https://twitter.com/chadmoriyama/status/1592649612904783872?s=46&t=CdijuUBoYJQO5dJ5MvLFxA

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I hope the Astros advertising that they wanted Rizzo and whiffing quickly is another Wilson Contreras situation. Dusty is loyal to the max and loves his defense-first guys. The new rules should all favor Yuli since he puts the ball in play a lot, and the larger bases will give him even more catch radius which he was already insanely good at. The only problem is that he's almost 40. He played well in the playoffs when the Astros played 13 games (14 if you go by innings) in 30 days, so I'm leery of that being an indicator of production in the regular season.

I hope there is an actual baseball reason coming from someone who knows baseball because the other possibility is that Crane actually has no real plan for landing big-money players and is just a billionaire blowhard surrounded by yes-men who vastly overestimates his abilities and knowledge in all walks of life, and whose ego couldn't handle Click building a winning team while blowing off his advice and now the team is in vastly worse long-term shape because of his temper tantrum.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

They’ve made it very clear they’re going with Cabrera/Peraza/Volpe in the IF. With Rizzo resigned I would be shocked if they add anyone else. The only question was if they’re try and unload Donaldson but they seem to be indicating they rather just squeeze whatever he has left out instead of paying to get rid of him.

They should pick up LFer but I don’t see any clear game changers and they probably don’t want to lock up things with Stanton. If they lose Judge then all bets are off.

They can obviously add a starter or two. That’s where I’d guess their focus is beyond Judge.

Edit: There’s an outside chance they could trade Gleyber to try and upgrade somehow? But I don’t think so. That just feels like baseless sports radio nonsense to me. I don’t think he’s untouchable or anything but I don’t see the scenario where it makes the Yankees better.
They are probably better off giving Donaldson another shot since if you try and get rid of him you're just going to end up eating most of that money and getting very little back

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dodgers should sign deGrom and Verlander, then don’t let either of them or Kershaw pitch until August.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I wouldn’t read into not getting Rizzo. He always seemed to want to stay in NY and just get a better deal.

I dunno why the Astros so publicly pursued him or if they mistakenly thought they were closer than they were. But maybe that’s a consequence of firing your GM team. I dunno.