Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
only if you give him credit for two consecutive PCPO majorities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

So you admit he brought back crack and PCP into fashion, sounds like a roundly accomplished man.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
we may never know the incredible things that man smoked in basements of north etobicoke

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

eXXon posted:

So you admit he brought back crack and PCP into fashion, sounds like a roundly accomplished man.

oh he was roundly, all right.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

eXXon posted:

Rob Ford was a fantastic mayor. He brought a lot of outside attention to the city, he was too busy coaching football and abusing people and substances to be in the office very much, and when he was there he couldn't get most of his agenda passed because even his closest allies either hated him or thought he was an incompetent moron.

Seriously his crowning achievement was what, privatizing garbage collection in a small part of the city? Yes, Transit City was cancelled under his watch but Liberals deserve the credit for that one.

The big thing that Ford did, and has continued under Tory, is that City Council now sets how much money they have available for the year before they start discussing the budget. This means that there is no opportunity to do things like raise money if it turns out there are important projects (like maintenance) that need to be completed.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
meanwhile in Vancouver

quote:

Head of Vancouver Police Union shares 'F*** the DTES grifters' image on Twitter - CTV News

The president of the Vancouver Police Union is facing backlash for a social media image he shared over the weekend that reads, "F*** the DTES grifters."

Ralph Kaisers' Twitter post was a response to two other images shared by the Defund 604 Network last week showing a banner hanging over the Georgia Viaduct.

[...]

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

what a dumb fake

this is the original and it rules:

https://twitter.com/defund604/status/1591272866229915649

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

vyelkin posted:

on the bright side he used to answer the phone and also might randomly give you $20 in a parking lot if you asked nicely, what more could you possibly ask for in a mayor?

A really good deal on a sofa?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Bilirubin posted:

A really good deal on a sofa?

wait that was the other mayor

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hubbert posted:

meanwhile in Vancouver

until I saw it was shared by an angry cop, I assumed it was about realtors

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
this cop thinks hes working class lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

wait that was the other mayor

and the deals suck, tbh

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

god bless never forget

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
it will never not look like a cartoon to me

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Mameluke posted:

this cop thinks hes working class lmao

This is the part that slays me

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

It's typically the baton or cruiser though.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://mobile.twitter.com/CarmichaelKevin/status/1592886129459875841

inflation has stalled. now please stop asking for a pay raise.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Inflation rate: nice

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://mobile.twitter.com/sasapetricic/status/1592856413675876353

Xi is right

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

I don't know if this is specific to going from MPs to Kingston Police, but I'm struck by the fact that they not only don't walk beats but drive around in huge rear end Ford Explorers. Most municipal officers I know don't live in town but in a suburb or "acreage" of unproductive farmland left fallow out in the sticks. RCMP officers doing Federal Policing largely live in the city, ditto OPP, but as soon as their job requires day to day community policing they become suburbanites.

It's not just that they aren't working class, which was integral to professional policing at the founding of the Metropolitan Police, the background of their ideal recruit, this being of course what Canadian city police departments are modelled on, but that they are extremely suburban, even compared to 10, 15 years ago. Suburban in outlook, methods, recruit background. It strikes me as poor police work top to bottom, and I'm wondering how we got here and why.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 15:58 on Nov 16, 2022

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

They don't even need the resources anymore because we pushed them towards Russia. Can we interest them in some innovative tech startups like Hootsuite?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/CP24/status/1592906489681031168?t=eBaOduzROLUHi3MBHnbjjw&s=19

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

RealityWarCriminal posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/CarmichaelKevin/status/1592886129459875841

inflation has stalled. now please stop asking for a pay raise.

You know, stalled, like in a car when you let the car's gas pedal slightly off the floor and the speedometer hand goes up slightly less quickly

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

B-b-b-but.... what about public opinion :qq: - CanPol thread

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ontario going all Child-y Crush Saga this fall.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Xisplain me daddy

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Canada population: 38m
China population: 1.4b

Canada GDP: $1.75t
China GDP: $16.7t

Also, to China we're a US satellite state. They can take out their frustrations with Washington on us largely free of reprisal.

Canadian journalists should be embarrassed to be taking up the 'China doesn't respect us' mantle

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Good

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Isentropy posted:

They don't even need the resources anymore because we pushed them towards Russia. Can we interest them in some innovative tech startups like Hootsuite?

oh man what is hootsuite gonna do once elon destroys twitter? what will they pivot to?

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Hope the momentum supporting strikers continues. Was also thinking about the gradual disappearance of ocap and idk if there was a story there but they're not as visible as before in easier times

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
The CPI (caca poopoo index) is too high, if you ask me

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

The CPI (caca poopoo index) is too high, if you ask me

:hmmyes:

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Looks like he has changed his mind, after a bunch of support/GoFundMe

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2022/11/16/ontario-medically-assisted-death-support/

Thank gently caress for the few decent people in this social cleansing shithole of a country

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Xi is just mad Winnie the Pooh was named after Winnipeg

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

It's not just that they aren't working class, which was integral to professional policing at the founding of the Metropolitan Police, the background of their ideal recruit, this being of course what Canadian city police departments are modelled on, but that they are extremely suburban, even compared to 10, 15 years ago. Suburban in outlook, methods, recruit background. It strikes me as poor police work top to bottom, and I'm wondering how we got here and why.

I'd like to hear from a single Canadian cop who thinks their job stems from the Bobbies and the Noble Met rather than being a badass slavecatcher like Det Stabler or Vic Mackey

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

canada has the population of a large chinese city. this is the equivalent of Xi talking to some city mayor

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Trudeau really is a condescending little nerd. Prime Minister Well Actually

Rutibex posted:

canada has the population of a large chinese city. this is the equivalent of Xi talking to some city mayor

"Well, you see most Canadians are white, so maybe Xi needs to learn his place" is the unstated assumption driving this interaction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

eXXon posted:

It's typically the baton or cruiser though.

Or long walks back to the city in -20°!

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't know if this is specific to going from MPs to Kingston Police, but I'm struck by the fact that they not only don't walk beats but drive around in huge rear end Ford Explorers. Most municipal officers I know don't live in town but in a suburb or "acreage" of unproductive farmland left fallow out in the sticks. RCMP officers doing Federal Policing largely live in the city, ditto OPP, but as soon as their job requires day to day community policing they become suburbanites.

One of the things that really strikes me after nearly a decade of living in other countries is just how uninvolved police in Canada are in the communities where they work. I haven't seen any actual beat cops in any of the three cities I've lived since I've been back. Just SUVs rolling around that can stop at any second and gently caress up your night for any reason. Massive structural issues aside, maybe having police get to know the people around them, and maybe even understand their lives a little bit, could help tear them out of the bubble they've built for themselves as "society's defenders" and "hard men making hard choices".

Hell, maybe people might be even a little willing to go to police for help if they felt like they could go to someone they know and recognize. But that would also imply that the police's real focus is helping and protecting people, and not property. A legit review I saw on indeed for a city police force "This is an amazing job for the brotherhood and camaderie, but the past few years the job has become more of being a social worker than being able to do anything effective"

Oh wait I just remembered that cafe that hosted "Coffee with Cops" and didn't spit in every mug. Ooh, or that time I overheard a cop co-ercing a sex worker, that's community involvement, right?