Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/phildstewart/status/1592654792144584705

approaching officer-involved shooting levels of verbiage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Seatbelts posted:

Article 5 wouldn't allow the invasion of Russia in this case cause they aren't trying to invade Poland (yet)
Its a defensive pact so it would mostly end with new air defense and FF posting from Poland for a few years.

lmao

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

it was immediately established that if this was a Russia gently caress up it still warranted a direct nato response, so if this turns out to be a Ukrainian anti air missile landing in a bad spot - Zelenskyy, I’m sorry, it is a matter of honor. our bombers are in the air headed to kyiv. it was a pleasure working with you.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A Russia-involved rocketry incident

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
watch Putler start a loving war

speng31b
May 8, 2010

im not sure why everyone is so convinced that even if it was a russian rocket it would trigger any response other than condemnation

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

yo I heard ts WW3 now what up with that :dafuq:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Spaced God posted:

https://twitter.com/phildstewart/status/1592654792144584705

approaching officer-involved shooting levels of verbiage

Cia false flag spotted

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

speng31b posted:

im not sure why everyone is so convinced that even if it was a russian rocket it would trigger any response other than condemnation

because everyone is horny for WWIII. the original had a sequel 20 years later we're way overdue

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

NATO just declared Death Con 3 on Russia. This is really bad guys.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

even people i know who dont follow war news are messaging me and freaking out. they're really going hard, even if it wasnt a russian missile it has to become one now

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If Russia launches a rocket from Belarus into Poland by the charter where does NATO have authority to invade

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Hadlock posted:

If Russia launches a rocket from Belarus into Poland by the charter where does NATO have authority to invade

I don't think they'll have a super strict reading of the charter in any situation where forces mobilize

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

So if it was Ukraine shooting down a missile that caused shrapnel to fall into Poland does that mean Article 5 applies to non-NATO member Ukraine attacking Poland?

This is what it will turn out to be but because everyone has driven their frenzy to 11, the details will be ignored then memory-holed.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

speng31b posted:

even people i know who dont follow war news are messaging me and freaking out. they're really going hard, even if it wasnt a russian missile it has to become one now

The worst of the worst are still acting as though it's a Russian missile, still referring to it as such, and trying to figure out ways they can still blame Russia and place sole responsibility on them and hold them accountable for it

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

speng31b posted:

some nato or US guy said back in march that any attack, accidental or not, would have consequences. from reddit so idk

"Mr. Sullivan said the U.S. will continue supporting Ukrainian forces with military assistance.

He also reiterated President Biden’s vow that the U.S. and its allies will “defend every inch” of the NATO territory and would respond even in the event of an accidental or unintentional strike by Russia.

“All I will say is that if Russia attacks, fires upon, takes a shot at NATO territory, the NATO alliance would respond to that,” Mr. Sullivan said."

March, 2022.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

If America wanted to use this to go hard there would at minimum be a presidential address scheduled by now. so that’s good.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

speng31b posted:

i honestly think that now that the OSINT nerds have gone out on a limb saying that this looks ukrainian, they're not likely to back down. it would be interesting to see if they are disciplined for it

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

speng31b posted:

russia won’t invade nothing’s going to happen

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Tonkin gulf levels of denialibity smdh. decades of progress in war rationalizing washed away in a instant

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

it's SOVIET TECHNOLOGY and we can't let SOVIETS try and land on capitalist soil

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

SourKraut posted:

Poland is clearly launching missiles at their own citizens to own the Russians

Ahh yes, the old pipeline defense.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

yeah nothing will happen but its fun to panic anyway

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

the russians even included SA-300 debris to throw us off their scent!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/ZarzavatML/status/1591847574151041025?cxt=HHwWgsC4nem7sJcsAAAA

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Best Friends posted:

If America wanted to use this to go hard there would at minimum be a presidential address scheduled by now. so that’s good.

Lol at Droolin' Joe being unavailable to My Fellow Americans a war declaration because he's got covid

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
u/r war: what the gently caress is this debate lmao

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

So if it was Ukraine shooting down a missile that caused shrapnel to fall into Poland does that mean Article 5 applies to non-NATO member Ukraine attacking Poland?

Honestly I think this is the most likely scenario. If that's the case, a lot of this comes down to intention. This is an over-simplification but at that point it becomes kinda like two kids rough-housing and a vase that happens to be two human lives breaks. After that it's kind of a "Well those are your SAM fragments" / "Well we wouldn't have fired them if you were shooting missiles at us" / "No, you aren't!" / "Yes, I am!" situation. Intention goes a long way with regard to a proxy conflict that no one really wants to get publicly engaged with.

Akaiku
May 17, 2013

Truga posted:

u/r war: what the gently caress is this debate lmao

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

It's kind of a pointless debate anyway. NATO has made it absolutely clear they are happy to feed Ukrainian lives into the Russian war machine but not willing to send their own.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1592662029508042752
Even Michael Weiss isn't buying it lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
putinland

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/borgposting/status/1592655471458254849?t=Tcdl6zouqwN3uz6cTgfgpA&s=19

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
c-spam has finally done it and started world war 3

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

It's time to bring back the Holy Roman Empire.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

the tankies were doing it in bad faith.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Yeah, but they were saying it was bad, when it was in fact cool and good all along.

mawarannahr posted:

the tankies were doing it in bad faith.

They were in good faith of being bad people

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Crymetimeboys posted:

It's genuinely impressive that mlmp08 is reaching how r u levels of disingenuousness.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

Hmm the US deliberately undermined the RVN to encourage economic dependence that’s weird.

Bodes well for Ukraine, which if you remember, is receiving military aid as loans, not grants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Some people online are acting like NATO's charter is a set of laws that they will follow regardless of the outcome. If they wanted to deploy a million troops to help Ukraine, they already could have, and the errant missile killing two extremely unlucky Polish farmers doesn't change the situation.