Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

And beyond that there's Moonlight if you have an Nvidia graphics card, and AMD Link for red team types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Sweet! I’m hoping to set my 3+ up as something to play my PC and PS5 backlog while I’m on the road in boring places.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

Sweet! I’m hoping to set my 3+ up as something to play my PC and PS5 backlog while I’m on the road in boring places.

You might have better luck with GeForce now when it comes to steaming on the road.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Adam still supports the 280V era pretty nicely

Thanks for the heads up on this. I just installed a build of Adam on it and retroarch seems to run pretty well.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I’ve never had great results with wireless streaming, but I know that greatly depends on your Wi-Fi setup.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rinkles posted:

I’ve never had great results with wireless streaming, but I know that greatly depends on your Wi-Fi setup.

It's worked well for me on my phone at least, with Steam Link - PC's on ethernet that goes into a Powerline (router's at the other end of the house) and that also has a 5GHz AP on it so I just use that in my room and the front room/verandah which is..basically the only place in the house I'd be going with it I guess.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Do I still have to do the DHL shipping fill-the-freight song and dance with Retroid? I see that they just have DHL as a more expensive shipping option.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 12, 2022

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If you mean buying the weird DHL jpg like I had to with my RP2 forever ago then nah I just selected it as the shipping option.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

flavor.flv posted:

Powkiddy has released a new handheld reusing that retro nintendo style design of theirs that everybody loved a couple of years ago

What? v90? I don't know what that is, I'm taking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOkCQMG8lDk

I think this looks really cute and if I didn't already have way more ways to play SNES Shadowrun, Lost Vikings, and FF8 than I could ever need I'd be interested

comparisons to the rg280v need to remember the awful placement of the L/R buttons on that thing

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

posting from a GPD WIN 2.

its running windows 11 so emulation setup was pretty straightforward. I was able to get PS2 emulation going for low intensity games like SRW OG but theres a bit of noticable crackle and detuning on the music.

so performance wise, its equivalent to the RP2+.

I like the the tilt screen ergonomics, and the control placement works for me. I would like more handhelds in this formfactor over the switch lite style.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

coconono posted:

posting from a GPD WIN 2.

its running windows 11 so emulation setup was pretty straightforward. I was able to get PS2 emulation going for low intensity games like SRW OG but theres a bit of noticable crackle and detuning on the music.

so performance wise, its equivalent to the RP2+.

I like the the tilt screen ergonomics, and the control placement works for me. I would like more handhelds in this formfactor over the switch lite style.

Yeah I got mine two days ago but haven’t had a chance to dig into it yet.

Side note if anyone wants to buy the GPD win max 1 let me know. It’s a i5-1035G7 Model 16GB 512GB SSD

I’ll let it go for a good price if someone is actually going to use it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Anbernic will go bankrupt before admitting in-line shoulder buttons are bad.
https://twitter.com/RKezins/status/1592173992990937093

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I actually don't mind Anbernic's shoulders that much; on my trusty 351p my index fingers kinda hug the shoulder-1's comfortably, and I can easily tap the 2's with my index fingertips.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m an Anbernic fan but I’m glad I picked my RP3+ over waiting for that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Logitech are sending out codes for $50 off the G Cloud. Still overpriced.
https://twitter.com/RetroGameCorps/status/1592327349709991939

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

Logitech are sending out codes for $50 off the G Cloud. Still overpriced.
https://twitter.com/RetroGameCorps/status/1592327349709991939

I'd argue that even $200 is too much for this thing but its getting closer to the price it should be.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

At 150 i'd pounce for sure. I'd also finish Fallout 4 finally.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Ordered an Odin last Friday, got it in today (I'm in Florida).

I have to say, I'm pretty impressed. Both with the device itself, and with the fact that I got it only slightly slower than ordering something with Amazon Prime. Their first year was embarrassing but hopefully they've figured poo poo out.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
Anbernic RG505 is looking pretty good, kind of regretting my RP3+ preorder. But I guess with these consoles there will always be a newer shinier thing

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

neosloth posted:

Anbernic RG505 is looking pretty good, kind of regretting my RP3+ preorder. But I guess with these consoles there will always be a newer shinier thing

Is it more powerful than the PR3+?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

neosloth posted:

It's basically just a RP3+ sidegrade. The sticks and start/select buttons look better but the shoulder buttons look worse, the screen is more vivid but lower resolution, and Retroid's Android builds have recently been better than Anbernic's. The SoC is identical.

It definitely looks like a solid option, but there's no reason to regret getting a RP3+ over it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There will always be something shinier, and I expect the 505 will be a decent chunk more expensive than the RP3+ for roughly the same performance.

sethsez posted:

Ordered an Odin last Friday, got it in today (I'm in Florida).

I have to say, I'm pretty impressed. Both with the device itself, and with the fact that I got it only slightly slower than ordering something with Amazon Prime. Their first year was embarrassing but hopefully they've figured poo poo out.
Shame about the Loki where shock of shocks, they're having screen problems. Only this time its because the screens they ordered don't work with the Ryzen APUs so they have to figure out a way of adapting their video input to a protocol the 6800U will use. They also apparently haven't finalised the cooling which is a pretty important thing for a chip as hot as the 6800U. I'm still holding my base Loki reservation because I might as well at least try it and see if I prefer it to the Deck and I can sell it if I don't.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
If I replace my 351p it will be with a 353m, for the hall sticks.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

beer gas canister posted:

If I replace my 351p it will be with a 353m, for the hall sticks.

Is the jury out yet on whether they have their own issues? When hall effect sticks first starting gaining popularity, I saw a number of reports of sticks in GuliKit's own King Kong Pro 2 pad losing range after some time (so in a way the opposite of drift, the sensor doesn't pick up the full stick range).

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

sethsez posted:

It's basically just a RP3+ sidegrade. The sticks and start/select buttons look better but the shoulder buttons look worse, the screen is more vivid but lower resolution, and Retroid's Android builds have recently been better than Anbernic's. The SoC is identical.

It definitely looks like a solid option, but there's no reason to regret getting a RP3+ over it.
Yeah, the main thing for me is that I wanted to get a RP3+ for PSP games, and the RG505 display is rumored to be a reused Vita oled which means it'd scale up pixel perfect. Not a huge deal though

njsykora posted:

There will always be something shinier, and I expect the 505 will be a decent chunk more expensive than the RP3+ for roughly the same performance.

It's priced roughly the same

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Honestly I'm not sure I'll replace my 351P until there's something that can run most PS2 and GameCube decently enough with a good battery life for similar pricing (so probably a couple years).

I know now there's more chips that can play PSP and Dreamcast better and while there's a few games in the libraries for both that would be fun to play on the go, it's just not worth it while there's a ton of PS2 stuff I'd love to play on a bus or something.

Hell by that time I probably could just pick up a used Gen 1 Steam Deck for relatively cheap.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Honestly I'm not sure I'll replace my 351P until there's something that can run most PS2 and GameCube decently enough with a good battery life for similar pricing (so probably a couple years).

I know now there's more chips that can play PSP and Dreamcast better and while there's a few games in the libraries for both that would be fun to play on the go, it's just not worth it while there's a ton of PS2 stuff I'd love to play on a bus or something.

Hell by that time I probably could just pick up a used Gen 1 Steam Deck for relatively cheap.

This is exactly where I'm at. For day to day use, my 351p kicks portable rear end, cheap enough I don't worry about babying it, but competent enough to run most everything I'd want to play on the go; and I can't see myself updating again until maaaaybe a RP4 down the road, (and provided the start/select aren't on top again).

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Is there any trick to lower battery usage for a sleeping RG351? Mine loses about 10-15% per day, meaning it's dead if I don't use for it a few days and wasn't careful about shutting it down.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

New Odin firmware finally fixes the 61hz refresh rate issue. No more judder in 2D games now.

Feels like I jumped on this thing at the right time.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Bourricot posted:

Is there any trick to lower battery usage for a sleeping RG351? Mine loses about 10-15% per day, meaning it's dead if I don't use for it a few days and wasn't careful about shutting it down.

Gonna imagine this is an Android issue as my RP2+ also does this, making it not being as useful a device as it should be, since many a time I occasionally go to resume some JRPG I hadn't touched in a couple of days, it's powered off, lost me progress, and make me curse existence. I have to keep reminding myself to manual save every time I leave it suspended "just in case" and confirming the battery rate daily. Sucks. Suspending shouldn't be this complicated a matter.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The 351 isn't Android, but it does have a hard time guesstimating battery because it doesn't actually support that data at all and instead the kennel has to guess based on wattage - hence why you can see the percentage shoots up as soon as you plug it in and gets wonky under 50%

As for sleep, my understanding is that's a bit of a hack too, at least from what I glanced at on the Amber discord

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I realize that this might only help a few people but if you happen to have an older iPhone laying around that has a busted screen or you just don't want to deal with the hassle of selling it Best Buy is giving a hell of a trade in credit for the devices toward a google pixel 7 phone. I had an iPhone 11 with a bruised screen that I could maybe sell for $100-$150 and Best Buy gave me 400 trade in credit so I got a new Pixel 7 for $110.

From watching the ETA Prime video on the Pixel it seems like it does pretty good up to PS2.

https://slickdeals.net/f/16195612-b...=26#commentsBox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPUV_WIh9y0

Obviously you wouldn't buy one of these for full price for gaming but If you can take advantage of the deal its pretty drat good IMO

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I have like four old iPhones. This is interesting to my situation so thanks.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My RP3+ shipped last night and is estimated to be here Monday, hot dog!

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

This is honestly the best time to get into retro handhelds. There are so many solid products at a ton of price points

Miyoo Mini
RP3+
Ayn Odin
Steamdeck

All of those pretty much get you anywhere you want (here is hoping next year is a steamdeck lite that is smaller)

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Eh I don't really see the point of a smaller Steam Deck. I doubt it'll ever fit in your pocket (unless you're a cargo jorts master) and it's hard enough seeing some things on the screen as it is.

What that thing really needs is an actually swappable battery and an OLED screen. You can go through 2-3 charge cycles a day easily, no way that stock battery will last very long.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I definitely want a smaller Deck. I travel a lot and anything lighter and smaller would be a blessing for my bag real estate. I don’t care if I can put it in my pocket, something Switch OLED size would be an immediate buy.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I think someone will get there sooner rather than later; the Ayaneo Air has a really nice OLED screen and small size, but it’s let down by the old processor and tiny battery.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
too many of these things to keep track of honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

uiruki posted:

I think someone will get there sooner rather than later; the Ayaneo Air has a really nice OLED screen and small size, but it’s let down by the old processor and tiny battery.

I’m hoping the PC streaming to the RP3+ holds me over until I get a windows handheld that checks all my boxes. They’re definitely getting close I think.