Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

al-azad posted:

I will say nothing gave me greater pleasure than literally aborting god and scaring a wounded man with a bad heart half to death then cut to a cheesy credits song that rivals symphony of the night.

Agreed - there are plenty of negative things you could fairly say about SH3, but that was probably the most satisfying ending I've ever seen in a game and Heather is a great character throughout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

al-azad posted:

I’m sure someone has written a deeper dive into how SH3 is about the commodification of women’s bodies and in the same way James the ultimate toxic man’s Silent Hill is a world of weak, whimpering monsters Heather has to deal with aggressive ankle biters and creeps over the phone and just accepts it all with aplomb because this is life for a young adult woman in idk where the game is set let’s say Ohio which is truly hell on earth.

That's the intended read I believe, there's a ton of yonic imagery all over the place right up to the hole you jump in to fight the final boss. There's the forced pregnancy. And the complete impotence of all the male characters, including the Detective who comes off as a creeper at first even if he's well meaning and then in his second to last conversation with him Heather points out that old men are useless. Vincent is only interested in exploiting the cult for status and money. And Claudia keeps books on human trafficking in her dorm because she want's to make a difference. But her hosed up childhood growing up under Leonard means she feels that she feels that suffering is a necessary component to get there rather than an unfortunate side effect that you deal with.

al-azad posted:

It is a weaker overall game by design, I’m surprised you didn’t bring up the instant deaths.

Are they exclusive to hard or something? I died a bunch of times getting used to the faster enemies and falling in pits early on, and then after the Office building I don't think I died once.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah the Silent Hill town concept was interesting in the earlier games. The monsters for James fed on his fear of being a big old sad boy pervert, while Cheryl's are her fear of being sexually assaulted and unwanted pregnancy. It's an interesting choice they made because the same was true in the first game, but it was *Alessa's* fears driving the monster design, not Harry, who was just a stand up dad who really wants his daughter back. It took it from "girl controls evil town" to "town tests those who enter it Jigsaw style". It just doesn't really work as well in 3 because Cheryl didn't even do anything wrong, it's all this cult poo poo that was forced onto her, much like the pregnancy.

Given how the mechanics of the town work in other circumstances it makes you wonder if the God they are trying to birth and the town are really in synch with one another. The Town seems to be doing everything it can to drive her away and kill her, which is the absolute opposite of the God's goal. Yes, it's to bring her pain to birth the Pain God, but killing Harry could have been enough. Maybe the Ancient Indian Burial Ground town is antagonistic with the cult in the same way that it was in (I know, I know) the movie.

There's a book in the library that mentions the town's God being named after a demon. I think on the lowest level we can at least say that they're tampering with powers way out of their control. The God might not be hostile to them, or humanity, but their continual loving with it is causing it to go haywire every time that they get down to doing rituals. If we take 2 as the God in it's purest form, perhaps it as an entity exists mostly to let one tap into their own subconcious, and it's the Cult's obsession with suffering that's causing it to manifest that out into the world.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Huh there's another Bendy game
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1063660/Bendy_and_the_Dark_Revival/

Wonder if it's actually a game and not just a vehicle for lore youtubers and merchandise.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Morpheus posted:

Huh there's another Bendy game
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1063660/Bendy_and_the_Dark_Revival/

Wonder if it's actually a game and not just a vehicle for lore youtubers and merchandise.

I've seen reviews on steam saying that it's a lot better mechanically than the first one but baby I've been burned before. I'm probably going to flick through some let's plays to get a vibe and get it if it seems better but right now it's in the freezer.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Are they exclusive to hard or something? I died a bunch of times getting used to the faster enemies and falling in pits early on, and then after the Office building I don't think I died once.

IIRC there's like four separate instant death situations in the subway, the sewer monster, the roller coaster, hesitating to use the pendant, the carousel, staying in the mirror room too long (which you want to do because it's a cool sequence), and the red light in the haunted mansion. Hard mode adds a few more instant deaths and monster attacks.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
Anyone here play The Alien Cube? It's a decent horror walking simulator. The "puzzles" consist of needing an item and just going to a nearby area to pick the thing up, there's no real inventory or anything. There are some monster chase sequences which are basically just run away and don't turn around at all or you die. My only real complaints are some areas are way too dark even on full brightness and the way the jump button works is stupid but luckily it's rare that you need to jump at all. Overall it's a good creepy Lovecraftian story for 3-4 hours, though $20 might be a little steep. Pretty impressive for a game made by one person.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

unimportantguy posted:

I just played Blood through for the first time a few weeks ago and it was a ride, lemme tell you. Amazing game. Not much in the way of horror other than aesthetic trappings, but those were good and fun in an over the top B movie kind of way.

You should check out the mod Death Wish. It's basically Blood 2 if Blood 2 had been made with the Build engine like the original and not a new and janky full 3D engine.

It's three entire episodes of really well crafted levels that do a lot of creative things with the game mechanics and some stuff that wasn't really possible in '97 without melting most computers all this without actually adding any new textures.

also since it's Blood there's several levels that are direct references to classic horror films like a The Thing level set on an Antarctic research base, an Alien level set in space with Gillbeasts instead of Xenomorphs, and of course a level set in a foggy empty town called Whisper Peak followed up by a level that's all set in a haunted apartment and has you go in and out of a hole in the wall . It's great fun and feels like a natural extension of the original game.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

So despite being a horror game guy, I have never played - or even know a single thing about - any of those Dark Pictures games.

Keep seeing them pop up though and I see there's a new one on the way.

Are they any good? Is there a set order to play them or are they all unique stories?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bumhead posted:

So despite being a horror game guy, I have never played - or even know a single thing about - any of those Dark Pictures games.

Keep seeing them pop up though and I see there's a new one on the way.

Are they any good? Is there a set order to play them or are they all unique stories?

They are allright. They are all totally separate games that are just released under an anthology umbrella. I skipped the second one because people seem to hate it. The first one (Man of Medan) has it's moments but I thought it got lamer as it went on. Hated the twist. The third one (house of Ashes) was mostly good and I liked the setting but the pacing dragged at times.

If you haven't played any of their games just start with Until Dawn. It's way better than the Dark Pictures games imo. They also have a new one (the Quarry) but I haven't played it yet. Both of those are the same as Dark Pictures except they are full priced releases. You can probably play until dawn for next to nothing or free if you have a Playstation

E: If you are wondering how they play, they are basically David Cage games but without the pretension or horniness. Mostly just interactive movies but they do a good job of having tons of CYOA outcomes.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Nov 17, 2022

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

i think they suck rear end

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
They are sometimes on Gamepass and the slightly less good Playstation equivalent if you already sub to those or they have been in the past, no idea if games come back onto it after having left but could be a way to play them without committing.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Thanks Goons. I won't be in a rush then.

Don't have a PlayStation so Until Dawn is out - although it seems a likely candidate for a PC port if Sony are really in on this? Will keep an eye on The Quarry.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Bumhead posted:

Thanks Goons. I won't be in a rush then.

Don't have a PlayStation so Until Dawn is out - although it seems a likely candidate for a PC port if Sony are really in on this? Will keep an eye on The Quarry.

I'd be surprised if Until Dawn gets a port, it's seven years old at this point, if they were going to do it they'd have done it by now.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The dark pictures games are really fun co-op online, you each make decisions for different characters and your combined choices have interesting repercussions.

The 3rd one House of Ashes is the best so far, excited to check out the new one also. They each have different vibes.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Fil5000 posted:

I'd be surprised if Until Dawn gets a port, it's seven years old at this point, if they were going to do it they'd have done it by now.

I guess it depends how seriously Sony are about PC. We're still very much at the beginning of that journey with them, but I think the trajectory will only continue in the direction of "more PlayStation games on PC". I do think in time they'll get to more PS4 era games that have exhausted their sales on PlayStation, but maybe that's just hope.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I feel like the first two dark horse games kinda rib eachother. Both have a similar important plot point and when you play them in sequence that just feels repetitive and dumb. So pick whichever looks appealing and ignore the other one.

The third one was quite different but there's a lot of military stuff in it so thats not everyone's thing either.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bumhead posted:

I guess it depends how seriously Sony are about PC. We're still very much at the beginning of that journey with them, but I think the trajectory will only continue in the direction of "more PlayStation games on PC". I do think in time they'll get to more PS4 era games that have exhausted their sales on PlayStation, but maybe that's just hope.

Bloodborne is getting a native PC port any day now according to "leakers" and that's way older than Until Dawn

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Bumhead posted:

I guess - although they DO have the option for you to use a PS+ subscription to play games on your PC via streaming from their servers and Until Dawn is on that list.

Mindblast posted:

I feel like the first two dark horse games kinda rib eachother. Both have a similar important plot point and when you play them in sequence that just feels repetitive and dumb. So pick whichever looks appealing and ignore the other one.

The third one was quite different but there's a lot of military stuff in it so thats not everyone's thing either.

Two games in a row where oh no it was all hallucinations was really really dumb

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Fil5000 posted:

I guess - although they DO have the option for you to use a PS+ subscription to play games on your PC via streaming from their servers and Until Dawn is on that list.

those don't count for some reason i'll never understand

if full price releases that are cloud only count as being on switch then streamable ps4 games count as being on pc

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Fil5000 posted:

Two games in a row where oh no it was all hallucinations was really really dumb

Lmao yeah it totally was. They were very self aware too because around the time of the third release they even officially stated "its not like the first two, promised" or some such. :v:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
They both came out the same year but yeah I think it's the same case for both of them, if it were going to happen it would have done by now. Until Dawn was published by Sony and they heavily funded it I think but the development was a bit tortured from what I recall, it was going to be a late stage PS3 game originally? So now that Supermassive are not exclusively working with Sony there's probably a lack of will on either parties part to do anything with it.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Len posted:

Bloodborne is getting a native PC port any day now according to "leakers" and that's way older than Until Dawn

Well.. that’s where that hope I mentioned comes in.

Any version of reality that rules out Bloodborne on PC is one I’m not interested in.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Fil5000 posted:

I guess - although they DO have the option for you to use a PS+ subscription to play games on your PC via streaming from their servers and Until Dawn Bloodborne is on that list.

It technically is and has been for years

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
Until Dawn was fun to play with a friend passing the controller.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I have had fun with those games with friends but the funniest/worst moment was in Man of Medan where my friend did too well on the first qte she was given and her character literally just fuckin escaped and she just didn't play at all for the next 3 hours or whatever and he didn't come back until literally the ending

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Eager to see some reviews for the new Dark Pictures game. Any cropping up yet?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Glagha posted:

I have had fun with those games with friends but the funniest/worst moment was in Man of Medan where my friend did too well on the first qte she was given and her character literally just fuckin escaped and she just didn't play at all for the next 3 hours or whatever and he didn't come back until literally the ending

Lol exact same thing happened with me. "Okay I'll play this person!" *finishes section* "So uh I guess I win?"

The Dark Pictures games work best online, when you get two views of the same event simultaneous. For what the plot it, this works very well in Man of Medan, especially when you confer afterwards.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

AAAhhh next dark pictures is scifi horror!

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2022/11/the-dark-pictures-anthology-is-going-sci-fi-in-next-entry-directive-8020

Expecting Alien and Jason X nods

E:ooohhh or more 2001 a space odyssey?

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 17, 2022

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Len posted:

Are these credible leaks or are these people mistaking "it would be so cool if" for facts?

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Pope Guilty posted:

Are these credible leaks or are these people mistaking "it would be so cool if" for facts?

I always thought the Silent Hill 2 Remake and a Bloodborne PC release occupied a very similar rumour-space, and have both rumbled on for years. Obviously we now know Silent Hill 2 was legit, so..

Ugh, I dunno. It’s just blind hope at this point. Surely it’s just one of those things where there’s too much money left on the table by NOT doing it.

I’d like to see something regarding the Demons Souls remaster on PC, too. Remember there was a load of fuss when they announced that with a mistaken mention of a PC release in the promos, so again, maybe it’s just a matter of time. Either it happens or I go insane waiting for it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Pope Guilty posted:

Games journalism thinks they're credible but their source is 4chan so you know it's not

Edit: if you say a remake is happening long enough that it actually does happen that just means you finally got lucky

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jesus the first person controls in Silent Hill 4 are absolute rear end

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I think seven years later you should've saved up the grueling $300 + $20 greatest hits copy and just played Bloodborne but I admire the pure stubborn tenacity of the PC only From fan.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sony don't care enough about BB to do a 60fps patch for PS5 they're not gonna bother porting it to PC.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Doomykins posted:

I think seven years later you should've saved up the grueling $300 + $20 greatest hits copy and just played Bloodborne but I admire the pure stubborn tenacity of the PC only From fan.

i have played through Bloodborne more than almost any other game and i still am clamoring for a PC port and would slam buy it day one

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Let's see a 30fps patch for Bloodborne before we start shooting for the moon.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

From Soft games are gasping for air on their home platforms, a PC port of Bloodborne might liquify your CPU.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol "leakers" have been leaking Bloodborne for PC since it came out.

Sakurazuka posted:

Sony don't care enough about BB to do a 60fps patch for PS5 they're not gonna bother porting it to PC.

I do honestly think they will release it on PC and the main reason no better version exists for PS is not lack of caring and more related to strategically selling it to everyone again. They know they would make a lot of money off a PC port.

Until Dawn on the other hand seems unlikely to me just because I don't think that many people care about it even if it was a bit of a cult hit.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

At least Until Dawn can be emulated, emulation of ps4 seems to be early, early stages.

In my mind I'm always hoping for a shadow drop. If anyone can do it they can for Bloodborne, and it'd be nice to wake up to it being out. Yes it's all cope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Doomykins posted:

I do want to play it, I just don't $320 want to play it.