Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

bedpan posted:

russia and ukraine tortured some folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Chamale posted:

Some people online are acting like NATO's charter is a set of laws that they will follow regardless of the outcome. If they wanted to deploy a million troops to help Ukraine, they already could have, and the errant missile killing two extremely unlucky Polish farmers doesn't change the situation.

Keeping public support for the war going into winter is a top priority and every bit helps.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

genericnick posted:

Poland blew up their own grain silo to show they could blow up other grain silos.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

speng31b posted:

even people i know who dont follow war news are messaging me and freaking out. they're really going hard, even if it wasnt a russian missile it has to become one now

yeah, same. people are shook. i told them it may have been a Ukrainian aa missile and it's likely everyone will just forget about it and got told i was repeating kremlin sources :shrug:

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Now even Duda is pussying out
https://twitter.com/TommyLundn/status/1592664319766167552

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Frosted Flake posted:

Mhm, now look at the range and then distance to the Polish border.

Then consider ground attacks against what? It hit a loving grain silo that’s not near anything.

Of course you are correct, I feel like a boob.

Frosted Flake posted:

lol I mean that’s on the Kremlin for thinking constructing a policy that would be read as weakness would be appreciated as moderation or reasonableness. If the US has “cracked the code” of Ukraine being willing to suffer idk 7:1 casualties, and the Russians will dish out 5:1 before withdrawing, there is no reason to stop short of Crimea or 2014 borders.

This has come up before but aren't they going to start running out of trained troops? And won't this then increase that casualty rate?

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It's time to bring back the Holy Roman Empire.

Balkanize Germany?!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Weka posted:

Balkanize Germany?!

I'm ready to become a Baden irredentinist

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

quote:

KYIV, Ukraine (AP) — A Russian missile barrage on the Ukrainian power grid sent the war spilling over into neighboring countries Tuesday, hitting NATO member Poland and cutting electricity to much of Moldova.

It was Russia’s biggest barrage yet, and some of the missiles crossed into Poland, where two people were killed, according to a U.S. official. It marked the first time in the war that Russian weapons have come down on a NATO country.

Uh huh

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

All the people who couldn't find Ukraine on a map now can't find Poland on a map.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

orcs hosed around. i wonder if they'll find out

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
gently caress and find out

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Malloc Voidstar posted:

(from t.me/logikamarkova/4272, via tgsa)

not sure this is correct, historically

he's got a fraction of a point that poland would have prevented the red army from marching west during the sudeten crisis but that would have also required the west to not fold immediately

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Weka posted:

This has come up before but aren't they going to start running out of trained troops? And won't this then increase that casualty rate?

Potentially, but there just isn't that much combat happening beyond shelling back and forth. It becomes more of an issue if the Ukrainians try to go all on cutting off Crimea.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Spaced God posted:

https://twitter.com/phildstewart/status/1592654792144584705

approaching officer-involved shooting levels of verbiage

lmao

speng31b
May 8, 2010

AP is bloodlust as hell

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Weka posted:

they've been sending them to NATO countries to get training. as long as ukraine can continue to mobilize and train soldiers they're not going to suffer the manpower issues that russia is with their refusal to mobilize more than the politically decided bare minimum

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

indigi posted:

because everyone is horny for WWIII. the original had a sequel 20 years later we're way overdue

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I wonder what the median outcome of this whole story is. It's a huge event to sweep under the rug and an exceedingly flimsy pretext to attempt to escalate the war with. My best bet is that Poland and the US will make evasive statements apparently blaming Russia but obliquely admitting Ukraine did it and at some point some senior anonymous sources in the Bundeswehr or something will just outright say that it was a Ukrainian S-300. It feels like pretty much anything short of NATO sending troops could happen though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Chamale posted:

Some people online are acting like NATO's charter is a set of laws that they will follow regardless of the outcome. If they wanted to deploy a million troops to help Ukraine, they already could have, and the errant missile killing two extremely unlucky Polish farmers doesn't change the situation.

Arguing with the dungeon master of nato to rules lawyer starting a war

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Chamale posted:

oh okay would you like to explain that to the families of these two farmers

speng31b
May 8, 2010

sum posted:

I wonder what the median outcome of this whole story is. It's a huge event to sweep under the rug and an exceedingly flimsy pretext to attempt to escalate the war with. My best bet is that Poland and the US will make evasive statements apparently blaming Russia but obliquely admitting Ukraine did it and at some point some senior anonymous sources in the Bundeswehr or something will just outright say that it was a Ukrainian S-300. It feels like pretty much anything short of NATO sending troops could happen though.

my guess is it will be stuck at "we can't know conclusively, but we think Russia did it," there won't be any concrete escalation beyond a huge propaganda win to boost flagging war support in Europe and the US, distract from UN human rights report coming out with Ukraine torturing and summary executing prisoners, murdering collaborators extrajudicially, etc

also maybe Poland gets some fancy new air defense systems from NATO

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Calibanibal posted:

oh okay would you like to explain that to the families of these two farmers

we'll have to invoke article 5 against ukraine.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
on the path to chilling out

https://twitter.com/humeyra_pamuk/status/1592669766388715520?s=46&t=2FnLTi0MtgznSfBfSB3_cw

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

CODChimera posted:

has anyone considered that it cant be russia because they are out of missiles?

They had one left OP.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

sum posted:

nobody cares about Nordstream anymore that is going to impact more people's lives

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

speng31b posted:

AP is bloodlust as hell

i mean slug: BC-EU--Russia-Ukraine-War, 26th Ld-Writethru corrects some stuff but they're still going with the head of "Poland: Russian-made missile fell on our country, killing 2" and in the fourth graph "A statement from the Polish Foreign Ministry identified the missile as being made in Russia. But President Andrzej Duda was more cautious about its origin, saying that officials did not know for sure who fired it or where it was made. He said it was “most probably” Russian-made but that is being still verified." Given the contention between narratives there, they should probably knock it to something less bias but. Whatever. Don't feel like calling them and it isn't like they'd give a poo poo.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

speng31b posted:

AP is bloodlust as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3BO6GP9NMY

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Morbus posted:

11% of the time, it works 100% of the time

:hmmyes:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”
i did it i broke the gas

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Nobody cares about the gas line anymore grandpa.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
gas and grain both start with g so it makes sense russians would want to bomb a big pipe full of grain

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1592625032878256128?s=20&t=7beijljECLb4MVoSQoQ5Gw

I'm hoping it's just a car that caught fire. The video doesn't show any blast, just flames.

Sure it could be a tesla but it could just as easily be somebody trying to send a tweet

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Lmao suddenly backing down from "This is a russian attack and there will be consequences." to "uhh now now, lets let the investigation uhhh do its thing"

100% a ukrainian anti-air whoopsie

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

speng31b posted:

AP is bloodlust as hell

lol at fake news

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

genericnick posted:

Poland blew up their own grain silo to show they could blow up other grain silos.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Homeless Friend posted:

lol at fake news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1tyybVuSBU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

genericnick posted:

how many poles does it take to blow up a grain silo?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1592625032878256128?s=20&t=7beijljECLb4MVoSQoQ5Gw

I'm hoping it's just a car that caught fire. The video doesn't show any blast, just flames.

PKK on the march

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ukrainian military accidentally launches missiles into Poland at the exact moment the US starts mumbling about peace talks, what a crazy coincidence in a war full of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The Ukrainian gov making the stupid assumption that anyone in power gives a single solitary gently caress about them or Poland.