Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
The Muskites will go “what did you expect, dissing your own boss/company publicly”

The answer is nothing. I expected nothing. No CEO in tech cares if you say you disagree with something, even publicly. They just care if you let some secret project/info slip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
if elon ever shows up on SA jeff oughta train him to FYAD and make it so he can only post there

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Smelly Nuts

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

I’ve been nosing around the EV market and zero people have recommended a Tesla to me, including people who own one.

Okay, going to admit it - I have one. It's not a terrible car, it goes fast and it's fun to drive. I haven't had any of the build quality issues people report (neighbours did have crappy paint on theirs) and it has nice gadgets you'd expect in a luxury car, like remembering seat and wing mirror (not rear view mirror) per driver. I do rate cars in "how often they need servicing" and it has done poorly for an EV (which shouldn't need much at all) by demanding it twice, the first time Tesla themselves didn't seem to know why, the second time was the 12V battery failing (which also knocks out completely random functions in the car, like the USB ports, even though the car will keep itself running off the big battery in this state). Where things really get sucky is the software - if you enjoy regular software updates that will make the UI worse, increase bugs, and even make the car more annoying to drive - there's been repeated updates that made the indicators harder to work - then it's the car for you. Literally, multiple updates have made it harder to activate left or right indicators, by changing the heuristic it seems to use to decide if you just wanted a quick flash for a lane change or actually keep it on for a junction, because of course, the control stalk for that does not mechanically latch, it's all controlled in software. I haven't been able to use the "theatre" feature for like a year (where you can watch Netflix while parked) because it always just says "put car in park" regardless of it being in park (and when I could, software bloat has made it virtually unusable, as the web browser (which is what drives the theatre 'apps') is so slow). Though to be fair, it got *slightly* faster after an update recently. Currently the car is sitting asking me to update it and I ignore it because the pending update is the one that removes support for the front radar module and thus makes ACC worse, and I don't want that. Eventually it will just do it itself, though. "Autopilot", e.g. lane keep assist, and ACC (at least for now, with the radar) are pretty good though, you just need to rest your arm on the steering wheel and it'll keep in lane, good for 500 mile road trips, and the superchargers are fast for that too. Another problem right now is whenever I get in the car I see the logo and am reminded of Elon Musk, which is bumming me out. Thinking of selling it and upgrading to one of the over the top silly EV pickup trucks currently almost coming out.

Edit: forgot to add some other complaints - one of the updates was a big "UI update" that just made the UI even worse in terms of wasted space, difficulty finding buttons you want (e.g. hiding status icons) and so on. The rear seats also have fully installed and wired heaters...but I can't use them, as the Tesla app for iOS wants $200 to "unlock" them. I believe some owners just cut into the wiring harness and install physical switches for that...I think some models also have pay-to-enable speakers for the car stereo. This is in the same area that wants $15k for "self driving" vapourware and such. I do also miss having an instrument cluster after the novelty wore off (though aftermarket options are available. I didn't buy one due to the pickup truck plan).

If you're genuinely looking for recommendations, get a Chevy Bolt. Ours was part of the big battery recall, the only servicing it ever needed in four years, and that included a free upgrade to the newer larger capacity battery which was nice. Though it's FWD it's very fun to drive, and the eco tyres will make it sound like the Fast and the Furious whenever you go around a corner at any kind of speed. I've kept up with motorbikes (who gave me amused thumbs ups) and muscle cars (who got *extremely* upset) taking off when the lights turned green in it, it's deceptively sporty for something that looks like a dumpy little family car.

Charles Ford fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 16, 2022

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

HonorableTB posted:

if elon ever shows up on SA jeff oughta train him to FYAD and make it so he can only post there

he's Seraph42

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Yeah I’ve got my eye on the Chevy Bolt. Thanks for the notes!

That software situation sounds awful. Kinda like how bad it sounds at Tesla where the toxicity rejects anyone with talent or compassion. All the good engineers probably ran away years ago and their reputation has only gotten worse.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

The Muskites will go “what did you expect, dissing your own boss/company publicly”

The answer is nothing. I expected nothing. No CEO in tech cares if you say you disagree with something, even publicly. They just care if you let some secret project/info slip.

Plus if you've created a culture where your staff are publicly clowning on you've hosed up badly as a leader.

But I also hope that company leaders being too online really becomes a thing. I want to see the head of Lockhead Martin trolling the CEO of Boeing saying their engines are bad and that the whole company should log off.

Forbes magazine will have articles on the dankest new online slang to let you really yeet your tweets.

Ed: this guy has nailed it: https://twitter.com/macrocephalopod/status/1592602357858115584?s=20&t=nExcSgsQzSnVLshbNB_nGQ

Party Ape fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 16, 2022

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
im going to get a job at a musk company, tweet something at him, then rake in the money from the wrongful termination case

then change my name and keep doing that hecause hes dumb enough to not catch on

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Midnight Voyager posted:

gently caress, my granddad used to do this. "I'm an engineer, so I know more about computers than you'll ever know!" Granddad, you can't run anything newer than the loving Commodore 64 that you STILL HAVE and STILL RUN, don't hire me to fix your computers and then give me that poo poo.

Are you dissing the C64, you cad?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/RMac18/status/1592649018277929183

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

Charles Ford posted:

multiple updates have made it harder to activate left or right indicators
I haven't been able to use the "theatre" feature for like a year
the web browser (which is what drives the theatre 'apps') is so slow).
the pending update is the one that removes support for the front radar module and thus makes ACC worse
a big "UI update" that just made the UI even worse
The rear seats also have fully installed and wired heaters...but I can't use them, as the Tesla app for iOS wants $200 to "unlock" them
some models also have pay-to-enable speakers for the car stereo.

jesus loving christ

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Google's internal meme site blows up with criticism after basically every major announcement or all hands and no one gets fired for it

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
I wish I had a real time dashboard of Twitter employees separated by pre-Musk, Muskites from Tesla/SpaceX, and contractors

Would love to see it dip every day like the crypto prices lately

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

https://twitter.com/CatWoman4evr/status/1592656408746823681?s=20&t=zkgh5jIPw3_wjKSMfrKS2w
lmao.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Party Ape posted:

Forbes magazine will have articles on the dankest new online slang to let you really yeet your tweets.

Ed: this guy has nailed it: https://twitter.com/macrocephalopod/status/1592602357858115584?s=20&t=nExcSgsQzSnVLshbNB_nGQ

dopamine liquidity critically low, thinking to cop a social media website. shan't speculate as to which.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Everyone confused why he doesn’t just gently caress supermodels and hang out on the middle of the ocean on a yacht needs to understand Elon is doing exactly what he wants to do.

He takes great pleasure in the suffering of other people which is why he can think of nothing better to do with his time.

What he wants to do is make other people suffer.

We call these people Republicans.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Bad Purchase posted:

dopamine liquidity critically low, thinking to cop a social media website. shan't speculate as to which.

Please don't summon him into this thread

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

spunkshui posted:

Everyone confused why he doesn’t just gently caress supermodels and hang out on the middle of the ocean on a yacht needs to understand Elon is doing exactly what he wants to do.

He takes great pleasure in the suffering of other people which is why he can think of nothing better to do with his time.

not loving supermodels to own the libs

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

The best part about owning a social network and having a public meltdown where you fire tons of key staff live and online is that drat near everyone else who would be able to do these very niche, very important (and very vacant) jobs saw exactly how the whole thing unfolded and have now raised their "I'll have to consider it" number by about 3-5x before Elon comes calling.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

spunkshui posted:

Nah, Elon doesn't care about the suffering of others. Elon doesn't have the capacity to care about the emotions other people feel.

Elon just wants to be idolized.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

spunkshui posted:

how does mars fit into that?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

spunkshui posted:

We call these people Boers.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

Dewgy posted:

We call these people Boers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9dmoT9AfoI

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Stoatbringer posted:

jesus loving christ

in the same breath as

quote:

It's not a terrible car, it goes fast and it's fun to drive.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.
I mean, I'm a software engineer, I hate all software, but it's true there is a difference between "I miss Windows 2000 and its pixel-art icons and UI that actually has nice, tight corners and buttons to press versus modern UX" and "I can't get the window wipers to behave because if I put them on auto they just go off at random and the speed control is a random thing on the touch screen" versus "just having an actual window wiper speed control knob on the stalk" like the Bolt and every other car.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ups_rail posted:

Letting him fulfill his dream of owning slaves

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Charles Ford posted:

I mean, I'm a software engineer, I hate all software, but it's true there is a difference between "I miss Windows 2000 and its pixel-art icons and UI that actually has nice, tight corners and buttons to press versus modern UX" and "I can't get the window wipers to behave because if I put them on auto they just go off at random and the speed control is a random thing on the touch screen" versus "just having an actual window wiper speed control knob on the stalk" like the Bolt and every other car.

The new yoke wheel is gonna have buttons and the car will not have stalks.

Soo you can have the nerolink read your eyes and turn the wipers on for you when you need them!

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I'll be honest, the thought of having to run software updates in my car sounds like the worst thing in the world

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Happy Landfill posted:

I'll be honest, the thought of having to run software updates in my car sounds like the worst thing in the world

My Chevy Colorado took a firmware update while parked at Target and left me immobile for 30 minutes lol

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
I’ve been to a few dealerships (including dropping by the Tesla store lol) and the whole thing was an exercise in being pitched features that are in no way actually something you’d want to pay for. In some cases I would ask if that can be turned off, especially anything that uses a cellular connection from the car itself.

They’ve turned cars into lovely smartphones and boy I do not trust a lick of it. I could not possibly want an insecure and easily hackable outdated version of Linux or BSD running on a touch screen with like 3 seconds of latency and a shitload of bloat ware. And it’s all Tesla’s fault.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Aren't most of his children from IVF? The man goes out of his way not to gently caress.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

Happy Landfill posted:

“We’ve got the money! Drive! The cops are on the way! DRIVE!!”
“Yeah sorry it’s just updating, gonna be a while…”

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Happy Landfill posted:

but if you keep using that 6-months-out-of-date version you'll eventually hit a breaking api change and your car will no longer be able to check whether you've paid the heated seat subscription :ohdear:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

I’ve been to a few dealerships (including dropping by the Tesla store lol) and the whole thing was an exercise in being pitched features that are in no way actually something you’d want to pay for. In some cases I would ask if that can be turned off, especially anything that uses a cellular connection from the car itself.

They’ve turned cars into lovely smartphones and boy I do not trust a lick of it. I could not possibly want an insecure and easily hackable outdated version of Linux or BSD running on a touch screen with like 3 seconds of latency and a shitload of bloat ware. And it’s all Tesla’s fault.

Seriously, the more I learn about IT the more I resent my electronics doing more than it's basic function. Not everything I own needs to be a smartphone. Not everything needs to connect to the internet. It sucks

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Frank Frank posted:

Not gonna lie, I actually love that show and I’m not even a Star Wars fan

I wasn't really sold on it until the prison.

Now I'm assuming Elon is trying to get the Tesla factory floor set up with shock panels and getting an PA installed at Twitter so he can yell "ON PROGRAM" whenever he feels like it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ups_rail posted:

This is a good time to remind everyone that everything Elon does he does for Mars. He didn't buy Twitter out of some free speech altruism and he isn't tanking it out of spite, he truly believes he needs to fix it so he can leverage it as his Mars base newsgroup because the future is catturd poo poo posting about the mars slaves.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

zedprime posted:

This is a good time to remind everyone that everything Elon does he does for Mars. He didn't buy Twitter out of some free speech altruism and he isn't tanking it out of spite, he truly believes he needs to fix it so he can leverage it as his Mars base newsgroup because the future is catturd poo poo posting about the mars slaves.

He's too much of a piss bitch to take one of his rockets on a suborbital hop, there's no way that shithead is going to Mars

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Mal-3 posted:

Ah, but you see the brain trust at LessWrong were going to Very Smart at the problem and thereby create the nice-AI which would gain primacy instead of hellsatancomputer. Therefore you should continue to support Eliezer's boys and pay no heed to HellSatanComputerCo.

Or something. I swear to god this whole thing just gets stupider every time I look back at it.

It's dumber that: Nice-AI and Satan-AI are the same loving AI!

1) Because AI will follow EA principles, inflicting suffering in the present is acceptable if it produces greater good in the future. Or even inflicting suffering in the past! How does a future AI impact the past? Well...

2) Post-Singualrity AIs will be able to create perfect simulations of the universe, with individual personalities for everyone. In fact, LessWrong contends that it'll be so perfect that you can't say with certainty that you aren't in a simulation now! Therefore, because we can logically inferring what the Future AI desires to achieve the singularity sooner, we flip causality. Bing, bong, so simple!

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Bad Purchase posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1592582828499570688

elon is pals with libsoftiktok i guess, also doesn't know what tourettes is

I looked through her (the fired graphql woman, @sachee) posts and she seems pretty cool. She's been ripping the piss out of elon for months now, since before the purchase was mentioned even. Some general anti-billionare stuff too.
She seems to be an expert in her field and highly regarded, but that means gently caress all if she hurt poor elon.
No surprise that elon thinks tourettes=swearing. She's pretty good at that too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

SirPhoebos posted:

It's dumber that: Nice-AI and Satan-AI are the same loving AI!

1) Because AI will follow EA principles, inflicting suffering in the present is acceptable if it produces greater good in the future. Or even inflicting suffering in the past! How does a future AI impact the past? Well...

2) Post-Singualrity AIs will be able to create perfect simulations of the universe, with individual personalities for everyone. In fact, LessWrong contends that it'll be so perfect that you can't say with certainty that you aren't in a simulation now! Therefore, because we can logically inferring what the Future AI desires to achieve the singularity sooner, we flip causality. Bing, bong, so simple!

I can call you Betty, and Betty, when you call me you can call me AI