Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Nilbop posted:

I really expected more from this chapter after reading this thread than they both threw punches but I guess that's where we're at.

this is a bit more though. the action was good, the art was good, but most importantly i like that mori is really hammering home the thematic importance of the ocean here. i would bet strongly in the coming chapters we get imagery with ricardo atop a mountain, or woli thinking of him as a mountain. they're going to come back to water eroding the mountain, ippo and a dogged approach beating ricardo, as the manga continues.

i really like that imagery and enjoy when it is emphasized (+ i liked volg and sendos commentary this week)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
sendo's trainer has already accepted it. sendo's gonna have to set a new goal after woli wins.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

tbp posted:

this is a bit more though. the action was good, the art was good, but most importantly i like that mori is really hammering home the thematic importance of the ocean here. i would bet strongly in the coming chapters we get imagery with ricardo atop a mountain, or woli thinking of him as a mountain. they're going to come back to water eroding the mountain, ippo and a dogged approach beating ricardo, as the manga continues.

i really like that imagery and enjoy when it is emphasized (+ i liked volg and sendos commentary this week)

My problem is that this is all in service of a character I hate.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I think this fight will read a lot better after it's done and we know the outcome, it is a pretty well written fight to be honest given who the two characters are, but even just the slightest possibility that Woli wins is souring everything about it. Assuming Woli doesn't win here, it will read a lot better and come off as a point of growth for Ricardo and a lot of insight into him as a boxer, I think that part is super well written.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
There is 0 chance Woli wins, he hasn't even hit Ricardo cleanly through his guard yet.

I'm fine with the idea of Woli showing Sendo a crack in Ricardo's perfection to aim for with this fight, I was wondering how they were going to make Sendo losing anything other than a foregone conclusion

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Bisse posted:

I think this fight will read a lot better after it's done and we know the outcome, it is a pretty well written fight to be honest given who the two characters are, but even just the slightest possibility that Woli wins is souring everything about it. Assuming Woli doesn't win here, it will read a lot better and come off as a point of growth for Ricardo and a lot of insight into him as a boxer, I think that part is super well written.

i think we do know the outcome though. it's going to be a ricardo KO win, i'd put sincere money on that. but like you've said it's morikawa layering his eventual defeat

the narrative line i'm expecting in this arc of the manga (which i think is basically from ippo vs alf 1 to now):
ricardo vs billy mcallum - insane victory for ricardo, shows us how dominant he is, establishes his character motivations in a way we hadn't yet
ricardo vs woli - closer victory but still pretty complete victory for ricardo, gives us the chinks in his armor, gives us a path forward for sendo to find out "how to beat him"
ricardo vs sendo - reveals an anti-ricardo strategy and gives us him overcoming whatever weakness woli/sendo find, shows us he is beatable but so good that even when you think this he still wins, sets the stakes for ippo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Woli should throw an elbow to make Ricardo have a cut above his eye so he wins in a way that is totally unsatisfying to everyone involved

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I think the most unsatisfying conclusion would be to have Ricardo win by hometown decision.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

lmfao

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
https://hni-scantrad.com/lel/read/hajime-no-ippo/en-us/135/1402/page/1

A great Ippo chapter? It's more likely than you think.

Referee - Stop using the ropes to perform illegal moves

Wally's Camp - Clearly, this is favoritism

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I yelled at my screen.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
They act like he's right to call it favoritism, so it's still eh.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

did i call it? not exactly but lmao

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

i dont understand why morikawa has to make bill and ricardo's camp seem incompetent/whiny.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

feels like he want's to make people dislike ricardo in the lead up to sendo.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

I yelled at my screen.

So did I

Penalising him for going off the ropes is looked at as favouritism and the author is portraying it as Ricardo’s Camp finding any way to win, what kind of joke is that.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
George this isnt the way to make us root for Wally. Like yes He SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO USE THE ROPES.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

DeadBonesBrook posted:

why cant you just link to mangadex

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

imagine relying on the something awful thread to get to the chapter

anyway this might be the nadir of hajime no ippo. it can only possibly go back up from here

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
God I hope he punched straight through his skull, I hope he is picking pieces of brain off his gloves next chapter

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

remember to be normal and make normal posts

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Patware posted:

imagine relying on the something awful thread to get to the chapter

anyway this might be the nadir of hajime no ippo. it can only possibly go back up from here
I think this fight and storyline in general is in the top third of HnI. Everything has been set up the only issue with the arc at all is Woli's stupid gimmicks (which I get is a big problem for some people). Ippo getting humiliated by Woli when he was a random from nowhere was way worse, this manga was seriously not that fun for very long stretches.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 16, 2022

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

No Wave posted:

I think this fight and storyline in general is in the top third of HnI. Everything has been set up the only issue with the arc at all is Woli's stupid gimmicks (which I get is a big problem for some people). Ippo getting humiliated by Woli when he was a random from nowhere was way worse, this manga was seriously not that fun for very long stretches.

Agreed, the manga has been really good ever since Ippo retired unless I'm forgetting something.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Some world champ, this guy can't even jump around on the ropes.

"Wow, what a boxing genius. Too bad I can't think of anything to do other than punch him in the face, oh well." *bap*

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ricardo wins, but learns from Woli and starts hopping on the ropes.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

tbp posted:

i dont understand why morikawa has to make bill and ricardo's camp seem incompetent/whiny.

To create cracks in Ricardo's armor for when Ippo beats him.

In theory. In practice it's just making Ricardo less interesting, even if I do like how he responded to his corner.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Nilbop posted:

To create cracks in Ricardo's armor for when Ippo beats him.

In theory. In practice it's just making Ricardo less interesting, even if I do like how he responded to his corner.

yeah its poor execution i think.

same kinda impulse why in fighting game patches, you kinda always want to see buffs where possible and as few nerfs as possible. nobody enjoys having good things made worse, but everyone can be on board with bad things being made better. ippo learning from woli's efforts = great, ricardo's corner with an unblemished super record being made to look incompetent = bad

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Hahaha BAMM

I'm liking where this is going, :rip: Wally

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Somberbrero posted:

Some world champ, this guy can't even jump around on the ropes.

He does jump around on them from time to time, but only in a boring technical way, as proper boxers tend to do.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Ahahahhahahaha

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
chapter 1403

Dexo posted:

Ahahahhahahaha

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Normally I'd be mad that theres a break but I could probably ride off the satisfaction of that last page for a month

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yknow I had forgotten about the elevation. Wally and his coach are dumb as hell.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Shinjobi posted:

Yknow I had forgotten about the elevation. Wally and his coach are dumb as hell.

They explicitly are not, they had plans for that. Richardo is just good, and did not let them get the advantage they wanted. Miguel still has a plan if Wally can survive the round.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

get his rear end

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

MonsterEnvy posted:

They explicitly are not, they had plans for that. Richardo is just good, and did not let them get the advantage they wanted. Miguel still has a plan if Wally can survive the round.

Bits and pieces are coming back to me, but still. Going full Wally until he wears himself out and THEN busting out "that move" is galaxy brain.

Yes I know it's shonen goof stuff. It is humorous nonetheless.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Excellent, Wally, keep it up! Once you're covered in blood, his glove will start slipping, minimizing the damage of the horrifying concussion you're about to receive!

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
It's fine, it's fine...Wally's smart enough that he can afford to lose a few IQ poi-I, wait? He's what? Oh.

Oh...

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I feel like Dr. Nick Riviera screaming "Kill him!" during the Homer v Drederick Tatum fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
those are certainly some reaction faces from Wally there