Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Gaius Marius posted:

Taylor released 2 albums in a row that sucked and nobody liked, Drake has never released a good song let alone an album and still puts up insane numbers in streaming and album sales and is now working with the dude who made the one song people liked on Honestly Nevermind. Bad Bunny might be a flash in the pan, you can't call someone with biggest in the world if they've only been active for 5 years.

In terms of Influence, Infamy, and talent yes. But he hasn't put up Drake numbers since MBDTF or Graduation. Drake is like the Monkees and Ye Brian Wilson

It's over a week late and I don't like Drake and want him to be crowned on forever

With that said

It's agreed he does have one good album - Take Care

Two if you include the mixtape If You're Reading To This It's Too Late

This still puts him far far far behind Taylor and Kanye but it's not like he's Maroon 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Drake's had good songs on meh albums. Despite how guilty it makes me feel, I still love Nice For What, and I thought Scorpion was an interminable slog of an album. I had similar thoughts on Passionfruit from More Life and Too Good from Views.

Still, he's on a three-album poo poo streak. Despite Knife Talk being pretty okay, CLB was bashed, Honestly Nevermind went up in smoke aside from Jimmy Cooks, and this new album which is nothing but Jimmy Cooks-alikes seems to be doing worse (if only because Drake joined on the "I agree with Tory Lanez, Megan Thee Stallion lied about getting shot" train, which is becoming even more indefensible every day).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nothing Was the Same was Drake’s peak

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Just pressed buy on the Portal 2 OST. May God have mercy on my soul

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Weeknd claims like half of Take Care was his and I’m inclined to believe him

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Crew Love is such a loving good song. Weeknd's played it both times I saw him and it sounded great. IMO that's his song, not Drake's.

Take Care is the only album of Drake's I think is really strong from start to finish. He's had good songs on other albums, but yeah, Take Care is the only one I want to listen to all the way through.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Unrelatedly, I listened to 1000 gecs by 100 gecs for the first time. I was worried that I wouldn't get it, but surprisingly, I got the appeal of it almost instantly (but I probably couldn't write out what said appeal was even if you payed me a thousand bucks). The closest I could get is something to the effect of "I get the impression that if they wanted to, this group could totally make semi-normal, good-sounding regular pop or rap, but they clearly have no interest in doing so when they can make poo poo like this and I respect that".

My favorite tracks were probably "Hand crushed by a mallet" and "I would never stop you" (another thing you couldn't make me do even if you paid me: write out that song' titles as it was written).

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
i cant get into 100 gecs because my first impression was "Sleigh Bells but worse" and i can't shake it every time i hear it and also annoyed it didn't result in a Sleigh Bells revival

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

Lid posted:

i cant get into 100 gecs because my first impression was "Sleigh Bells but worse" and i can't shake it every time i hear it and also annoyed it didn't result in a Sleigh Bells revival

100 gecs has already had more good albums (two) than sleigh bells had in its existence (I'm not counting crown on the ground ep)

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

have you streamed the ringtone remix featuring charli xcx, kerekerobonito, and most importantly rico nasty

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I will always be disappointed about how Sleigh Bells turned out. We'll always have that first album i guess

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

TurnipFritter posted:

have you streamed the ringtone remix featuring charli xcx, kerekerobonito, and most importantly rico nasty

Just gave it a listen, and that was pretty good! Definitely at least a little better than the original.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Anyone know when 10,000 Gecs is supposed to come out? They released a few singles from it several months ago, and I saw them at a festival in March and heard they opened for Nine Inch Nails at a couple shows in May, so I assumed they were touring for the new album but it has yet to be released :confused:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

SaberToothedPie posted:

100 gecs has already had more good albums (two) than sleigh bells had in its existence (I'm not counting crown on the ground ep)

thatsbait.gif

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

Lid posted:

thatsbait.gif

this is one of my favorite albums of all time and was released when I was in the 15-18 range but does not make what I said untrue

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

Anyone know when 10,000 Gecs is supposed to come out? They released a few singles from it several months ago, and I saw them at a festival in March and heard they opened for Nine Inch Nails at a couple shows in May, so I assumed they were touring for the new album but it has yet to be released :confused:

I’m waiting for it too!

I saw them both night opening up for Nine Inch Nails and they were amazing live. They mentioned they were working on new album so hopefully soon.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheSwiftSociety/status/1591055201573928961?s=20&t=PQPrBl6bQE30LDJvtTAZ1Q

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Kim Petras did a song without Dr Luke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjncAGqFgJ0

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Rageaholic posted:

It was supposed to be released over a year ago and they started to rework it. I think its wrapped up in label hell right now because Laura les has said at a couple shows it's done.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://twitter.com/genethelawyer/status/1592570133570277377?s=61&t=VihFGS5yBRfQBN5u8HPLTw

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Simpsons racecar bed meme but I'm Homer saying "I just buy my Carly Rae Jepsen tickets for under $100 during the normal sale period."

I am trying to get tickets for Taylor too, this is just out of hand.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

The Popheads reddit is sourcing their top 100 so I had the opportunity to pick my 25 favorite pop songs of the year, figured I'd share them here to kick off List Season. this isn't in any particular order and I limited myself to one per artist just to stretch myself a little.

Your Love - Mallrat
Hype Boy - NewJeans
Talking to Yourself - Carly Rae Jepsen
Broken - Alfie Templeman
The Weekend (MILLI Remix) - BIBI
American Teenager - Ethel Cain
What I Want - MUNA
Yuck - Charli XCX
SAOKO - Rosalia
Smiley - (feat. Bibi) - YENA
INVU - Taeyeon
redruM - Sorana & David Guetta
No One Dies from Love - Tove Lo
GROWING UP IS _____ - RUEL
Sparkling - CHUNG HA
Virgo’s Groove - Beyonce
Skyline - Khalid
Icarus - glaive
Entropy - Beach Bunny
Fruity - Chloe Moriando
Karma - Taylor Swift
Twisted Mind - Purple Disco Machine & Agnes
Happy New Year - Let’s Eat Grandma
It’s Only Love, Nobody Dies - Sofia Carson
This Hell - Rina Sawayama

and also a bunch of other songs I loved if you want suggestions or validation for your faves (if they're good enough):

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

It's kind of bullshit that everyone knew this would happen, yet the only reason to sell tickets like this is because it's intentional. I can think of a dozen better way to sell concert tickets that are more fair and efficient. But they want people to panic buy the VIP seats and dynamic priced tickets.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Ticketmaster is the only game in town for shows of that size, it sucks and something needs to be done about it. Nationalize concert tickets!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DC Murderverse posted:

Ticketmaster is the only game in town for shows of that size, it sucks and something needs to be done about it. Nationalize concert tickets!

AXS seem to do it pretty well. You would think they could compete if they wanted to

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

BigFactory posted:

AXS seem to do it pretty well. You would think they could compete if they wanted to

I’m pretty sure TM has exclusive deals with most of the stadiums that would preclude AXS from even attempting to compete. I want to say the NFL might be involved there too.

edit: as much as I would like to see TS in a venue that isn’t a stadium, that isn’t feasible if she’s able to sell tens of thousands of tickets multiple times per city across the country. Ticketmaster has completely walled off all the venues of that size here in the US through exclusive contracts which aren’t going to change because they’re pretty much all owned by NFL owners, and the NFL itself and most of its teams (edit2: 27 of 32 teams, with the other 5 using SeatGeek) have contracts with them as well. Artists with followings of that size have no choice but to deal with them or find alternative venues like festivals, outdoor spaces less suited to performing, or Vegas residencies.

I expect as Broadway struggles to recover we see more Springsteen on Broadway-type residencies, although they likely won’t be nearly as well-crafted as The Boss. It’s not as ideal as touring for getting to the most people but staying in one venue has its advantages. Gaga’s Vegas shows were dope as hell.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 16, 2022

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DC Murderverse posted:

I’m pretty sure TM has exclusive deals with most of the stadiums that would preclude AXS from even attempting to compete. I want to say the NFL might be involved there too.

Maybe it’s changed but it looks like Ticketmaster handles sports at the staples center and AXS handles other events. So it might be possible.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Ticketmaster and Livenation are the same company. AXS and AEG are the same company. This is why you have been buying pop concert tickets from one of two websites for a decade.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

abraham linksys posted:

Ticketmaster and Livenation are the same company. AXS and AEG are the same company. This is why you have been buying pop concert tickets from one of two websites for a decade.

Right, but AXS is a lot better than Ticketmaster lately and they seem to be getting more market share, but maybe that’s just locally for me.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Stadiums that don’t have a TM deal: Dallas, Washington (D.C.), Baltimore, New Orleans, Arizona (Glendale)

Are any of those stadiums on her tour schedule?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
There was one city that wasn't through Ticketmaster, IIRC

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Whatever picket line I have to stand in so that I don't have to pay an extra $120 in processing fees for some loving MUNA tickets I'll do it!!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecm-ylA29X0

New Rebecca.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
AXS is not better than Ticketmaster they are practically the same, especially if it’s for a big artist. I struggled buying a few tickets this year thanks to AXS being rear end and not being able to handle traffic

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I haven’t seen a single good ticket buying experience when the show is high demand. When there are more fans than tickets available it is going to be a problem.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Astro7x posted:

I haven’t seen a single good ticket buying experience when the show is high demand. When there are more fans than tickets available it is going to be a problem.

More fans than tickets is how things go, the problem is more fans than ticket-selling infrastructure when you already know how many fans are going to try buying tickets since you made them all sign up beforehand.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Planning a trip to Japan in January and I’m gonna take my cousin to a Rina Sawayama concert in Tokyo, I’m v excited.

Hilariously even in Japan you can’t avoid loving LiveNation/TM.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/Ticketmaster/status/1593333211769106433

What the gently caress is this poo poo

She's not even coming here but still, lol

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Rageaholic posted:

https://twitter.com/Ticketmaster/status/1593333211769106433

What the gently caress is this poo poo

She's not even coming here but still, lol

I thought this was a fake Ticketmaster tweet with someone that wasted $8 on a blue check mark.

Nope. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
if they sold through the majority of their tickets already, makes as much sense as anything to just put the remaining ones up as some kind of lottery or something

i'm surprised ticket lotteries haven't come back as a big thing by now. guess no artist or label wants to rock the boat and make their poo poo seem even more exclusive, but it's been obvious for two decades that first-come-first-serve does not work when demand is this high