Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Kershaw-Verlander would be the ultimate 1-2 punch of <2.00 ERA regular seasons that gently caress each other out of the Cy by splitting the vote, and then put LA in an 0-2 hole at the start of every postseason series they make it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

FlamingLiberal posted:

They are probably better off giving Donaldson another shot since if you try and get rid of him you're just going to end up eating most of that money and getting very little back

Yeah. If there was magically some deal available for him they’d take it. But if the choices are eat his contract to get rid of him or just ride his defense and hope he’s not dead offensively… you’re paying him anyway. Might as well see what he has.

I don’t think he’s guaranteed to be the Yankee 3rd base starter all season. I wouldn’t be shocked to see them testing Cabrera at 3B in spring training.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

Kershaw-Verlander would be the ultimate 1-2 punch of <2.00 ERA regular seasons that gently caress each other out of the Cy by splitting the vote, and then put LA in an 0-2 hole at the start of every postseason series they make it to.
when you add Dustin May and Tony Gonsolin to this it gets really funny, just imagine the tv graphic that’s like
Dodgers 2023 starter ERA: 2.05
“Big 4” postseason ERA: 5.00

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Is it crazy to anyone else that DeGrom is already 34 years old?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

No because I have always been keenly aware that he’s only 3 months younger than Kershaw

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

STAC Goat posted:

They’ve made it very clear they’re going with Cabrera/Peraza/Volpe in the IF. With Rizzo resigned I would be shocked if they add anyone else. The only question was if they’re try and unload Donaldson but they seem to be indicating they rather just squeeze whatever he has left out instead of paying to get rid of him.

They should pick up LFer but I don’t see any clear game changers and they probably don’t want to lock up things with Stanton. If they lose Judge then all bets are off.

They can obviously add a starter or two. That’s where I’d guess their focus is beyond Judge.

Edit: There’s an outside chance they could trade Gleyber to try and upgrade somehow? But I don’t think so. That just feels like baseless sports radio nonsense to me. I don’t think he’s untouchable or anything but I don’t see the scenario where it makes the Yankees better.

LOL @ them trying to sell to the fanbase bringing back this team that was under .500 dogshit for most of the season.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the Yankees are quite content that there’s a contingent of their fanbase they can’t sell anything to and is just gonna stay and complain anyway.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Dodgers should sign deGrom and Verlander, then don’t let either of them or Kershaw pitch until August.
Have all three of them rotate in one pitcher's spot - one of the three starts once every 15 days.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I love JV but he's a huge world series liability and so having 4 of your 7 WS game starters being notable chokers is well, if he's gonna end up anywhere, I guess LA is fine.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I know the Dodgers and Astros have slightly different perspectives than most teams when constructing their rosters but I feel like if you make roster decisions on the fear that a player will choke in the World Series you’re a bit ahead of yourself.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Yeah JV has a bad history in the WS but he sure helps you get there

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

Anderson is an oft-injured soon-to-be 33 year old coming off the absolute best year of his career in terms of IP, ERA, and FIP, conjured up by Dodgers pitching magic. Signing him seems like an absolute trap so I am not at all surprised the Angels jumped the market for him.

I think there are teams that could have kept that plate spinning but the Angels are not one of them. (To be a little self-aggrandizing, I picked one FA for every team the other week at PL, I'm 0-fer so far...)

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 16, 2022

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Servais was robbed :argh:

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

I think there are teams that could have kept that plate spinning but the Angels are not one of them.

i largely agree but the rotation did improve last year and they just hired the director of pitching at Driveline to be their assistant pitching coach so who knows.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Its Rinaldo posted:

Servais was robbed :argh:

Again?!

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Francona won the Central with a roster of rookies, that's pretty good

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I thought Hyde or Servais stood out more to me. But I guess Francona isn’t a bad choice.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Ya Hyde would have been my personal pick but I wasn't sure how much of that was warranted vs me just enjoying how promising the O's looked this year. Same with my Adley love

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Former Guardians top prospect Nolan Jones just got traded to Colorado

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Johnny Bravo posted:

Francona won the Central with a roster of rookies, that's pretty good

So did Servais and managed the team to ending the longest playoff drought amongst the big NA sport teams :argh:

I would have grudgingly accepted Hyde as the O's were scrapping way above their weight class till the very end.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Hyde or Servais should have won over Francona. The AL Central is just not competitive.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. Like my takeaway impression was just like the Ms and Os say over performed what was expected of them while the Guardians just kind of were the last team standing in the Central. But they all managed a bunch of kids and the Guardians made the playoffs and won the most games. So I guess I get it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

FlamingLiberal posted:

Former Guardians top prospect Nolan Jones just got traded to Colorado

Guy they're getting back has no power but never strikes out. They definitely have a type.

Popete posted:

Hyde or Servais should have won over Francona. The AL Central is just not competitive.

I would have gone with Servais but Francona is a great manager so I can't get too mad.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
They might try and move Gleyber for a pitcher and play DJ at 2nd. They do still need an outfielder too, and the rumor is they like Yoshida. I'd be down with that as they definitely need more contact in the lineup if he got posted and wants to play there

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nodoze posted:

They might try and move Gleyber for a pitcher and play DJ at 2nd. They do still need an outfielder too, and the rumor is they like Yoshida. I'd be down with that as they definitely need more contact in the lineup if he got posted and wants to play there

I saw a Twitter post that they've also checked in on Nimmo and I'm into it.

I'm really surprised they left spots on the 40-man given some of the dudes that are Rule 5 eligible though.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Nodoze posted:

wonder if the Mariners would be in on that if Gleyber's on the move.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah it does sound like they’re after Yoshida. Which I guess would be the LF move if they can swing it and their big pr addition.

If there’s a deal there for a quality SP I can definitely see them moving Gleyber and using the trio of rookies and DJLM. But I don’t think it happens to make it happen. And I don’t see them including any of those kids. And I think Cashman is timid about SP trades at this stage. So I dunno. It’s definitely possible but I’m not sure who we’re talking about. If it happens I assume it happens at the Winter Meetings.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

STAC Goat posted:

If there’s a deal there for a quality SP I can definitely see them moving Gleyber and using the trio of rookies and DJLM. But I don’t think it happens to make it happen. And I don’t see them including any of those kids. And I think Cashman is timid about SP trades at this stage. So I dunno. It’s definitely possible but I’m not sure who we’re talking about. If it happens I assume it happens at the Winter Meetings.

When I was at First Pitch AZ I asked the prospect panel about the Yankees SS situation and they said they thought Volpe was probably ticketed for 2B long-term (arm isn't good enough to stick at SS, not that he's bad defensively overall) and that Peraza might not be able to hit well enough for the Yankees. Their solution was to just sign Correa but everybody agreed that Volpe looks like he's going to be an impact player on both sides of the ball, which is nice.

At the very least, if they move on from Gleyber, they could have Volpe play 2B with SS on the side, and have DJ fill in for 2B/3B/1B as needed, because I assume the Yankees are going to try to do more load management with him at this point.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

zoux posted:

I love JV but he's a huge world series liability and so having 4 of your 7 WS game starters being notable chokers is well, if he's gonna end up anywhere, I guess LA is fine.

he's pitched 48 innings in the WS, that is the absolute definition of small sample size

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think there’s a nonzero chance that be the end of next season the Yankee If is Cabrera at 3B, Peraza at SS, and Volpe at 2B. But Volpe has never had a major league AB, Peraza didn’t do much in his first foray, Cabrera is like a pixie dream super utility player at this stage, and Torres had a good season as much as Yankee fans are determined to pretend otherwise. So I don’t see it being a plan going into spring training. It’s just depth chart speculation for injuries, struggles, or if a tempting trade does come up.

And I just don’t see this team abandoning the plan to try the kids and signing Correa, X, or Turner. The only scenario where I see that happening is a chaos one where they lose Judge, fire Cash, and all hell breaks loose as the ghost of The Boss and a million sports radio idiots possess Hal Steinbrenner.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Julio Cruz posted:

he's pitched 48 innings in the WS, that is the absolute definition of small sample size

He is deserted by the dawg in him upon reaching the Fall Classic

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

STAC Goat posted:

I think there’s a nonzero chance that be the end of next season the Yankee If is Cabrera at 3B, Peraza at SS, and Volpe at 2B. But Volpe has never had a major league AB, Peraza didn’t do much in his first foray, Cabrera is like a pixie dream super utility player at this stage, and Torres had a good season as much as Yankee fans are determined to pretend otherwise. So I don’t see it being a plan going into spring training. It’s just depth chart speculation for injuries, struggles, or if a tempting trade does come up.

And I just don’t see this team abandoning the plan to try the kids and signing Correa, X, or Turner. The only scenario where I see that happening is a chaos one where they lose Judge, fire Cash, and all hell breaks loose as the ghost of The Boss and a million sports radio idiots possess Hal Steinbrenner.

It does feel like there's more smoke to the Torres trade rumors this calendar year than in the past:

https://twitter.com/NYYNick_/status/1592672878046367744?s=20&t=s8dNKPRbIPnpAapFGcXQeQ

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Inspector_666 posted:

It does feel like there's more smoke to the Torres trade rumors this calendar year than in the past:

https://twitter.com/NYYNick_/status/1592672878046367744?s=20&t=s8dNKPRbIPnpAapFGcXQeQ

If they get anything of value for either of these lovely players I will apologize for wanting Cashman fired.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

I know the Dodgers and Astros have slightly different perspectives than most teams when constructing their rosters but I feel like if you make roster decisions on the fear that a player will choke in the World Series you’re a bit ahead of yourself.
yeah this is 100% not something the Dodgers FO gives a poo poo about or believes in at all

this stuff is pure fan/talk radio fodder

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

bawfuls posted:

yeah this is 100% not something the Dodgers FO gives a poo poo about

Well, clearly

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Inspector_666 posted:

I have no doubt that Gleyber is available in discussions. I just don’t see the trade in which he’s the key part and the return is of equal or better value. So like the sports radio idiots just want him traded to get rid of him. Cashman would need a deal that makes the team better. “The team is better by getting rid of him” isn’t a real answer and is just the thing dumbasses say. So we’ll have to wait and see if something real exists when the GMs are haggling.

IKF is a much easier trade since he’s of lesser value and was a stop gap to the kids who now is probably playing for a bench spot if any of the kids show promise in spring training. So moving him for just something random of value or a flier makes more sense than Gleyber.

He’s also probably one of the supposed players rumored to be sick of the rear end in a top hat fans since they were so toxic to him and his family this season despite him basically doing exactly what could be reasonably expected of him.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/RockiesClubInfo/status/1592620661813710849?s=20&t=5sHl8SEthkRYU3cle4IK7Q

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
“oh, let me get the roast out of the warming bernabel”

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Cubs protected all the dudes who I expected them to protect, and then also Jensen for some reason even though he's Maples 2.0 with a nasty FB/SL combo who couldn't throw a strike to save his life. I get that he's a former first round pick but come the gently caress on, any team that's gonna roster him for a full season next year is gonna get burnt by nuclear fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/1592753853271015424