Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

CaptainBeefart posted:

Got my Sacred Bones Halloween damaged goods order. Not familiar with any of these although I have seen The Lighthouse. Thanks again for the heads up on this.

etazhi by molchat doma is fantastic, good get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Agreed, she really should.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

EL BROMANCE posted:

Agreed, she really should.

While there's still time

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

petit choux posted:

While there's still time

poo poo, I better find some rare splatter edition of an album she loves and she'll be powerless to leave!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Nihonniboku posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEkOYs6aWIg

A friend introduced me to him this year. He explained it as, last year, when different musicians were asked what their favorite album of the year was, Absolutely by Dijon was at the top of many of these lists. Apparently tickets for his concerts were going for like $300. It's a good album, check it out.

This doubles as a documentary about Portland Oregon.

sporklift posted:

Yeah. I found this pretty killer vintage 3 piece suit with shooting jacket in mint condition and a perfect fit. Rarely get a chance to sport it.

At least we know Captain Ron is a fan.

EL BROMANCE posted:

poo poo, I better find some rare splatter edition of an album she loves and she'll be powerless to leave!

That or she'll be like "Who cares, nerd?" and listen to it on spotify and throw sand in your face.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

It's a good thing I'm perpetually alone or I'd have to explain to someone at length why he's not allowed to touch my stereo or handle the records ever and that would be awkward.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Latest mail is a bootleg

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

sporklift posted:

Yeah. I found this pretty killer vintage 3 piece suit with shooting jacket in mint condition and a perfect fit. Rarely get a chance to sport it.

Not with that attitude you don't

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

It's about time to replace the stylus on my Shure M97xE and I really don't want to pay $150-200 to put a new stylus on my budget $50 cartridge that's become "audiophile" because of scarcity.

Anyone else in the same boat over the last few years? What did you replace it with? I'm looking at the Ortofon 2M Red as a comparable replacement.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

marjorie posted:

Oh man, I love Wedgehead, though I'm usually not there long enough to make the flat fee system they introduced for their machines during Covid work out for me. A great spot to hang before catching something at the Hollywood, though. Anyway, happy birthday, and thanks for linking your new mix; I always look forward to checking them out and I'm never disappointed!

Thanks! I've known both the owners of wedgehead for years and it's kinda close to my house and the food and drinks are really good. Haha I rarely play pinball though.

Boinks posted:

It's about time to replace the stylus on my Shure M97xE and I really don't want to pay $150-200 to put a new stylus on my budget $50 cartridge that's become "audiophile" because of scarcity.

Anyone else in the same boat over the last few years? What did you replace it with? I'm looking at the Ortofon 2M Red as a comparable replacement.

I just bought a pair of these rather than try to replace my old stylus. I'm pretty happy with them.

https://www.samash.com/ortofon-om-pro-s-single--oomprossx-p

sporklift fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 9, 2022

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Oh hell yeah lots of good stuff

https://twitter.com/gileadmedia/status/1590435323657736193?t=O96sO8-fGmNAlpGkQfNojg&s=19

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

CaptainBeefart posted:

Got my Sacred Bones Halloween damaged goods order. Not familiar with any of these although I have seen The Lighthouse. Thanks again for the heads up on this.

Oh drat dude nice!

I also got the comp, the Soft Moon, and Molchat Doma. Also got Uniform and Emma Ruth Rundle / Thou (this one I own, though).

All bangers money well spent!

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Good late-70's prog haul today.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Boinks posted:

I did this and found it fine though I replaced a Shure V15-III. Only down side is the Ortofon Red is a little too heavy for the auto start on my turntable so I have to help it along, YMMV on that though. Beats trying to track down the needles for the Shure, though this was at the beginning of the pandemic.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 10, 2022

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

My 2nd month's subscription of VinylBox has arrived, having selected the "Jazz Bar" for this month.

I got the 2022 remastered pressing of "John Coltrane - A Love Supreme", which is of course a classic and, gladly, something I didn't already have (most of my Jazz collection is on Blue Note). The second record in the box was "Akira Toyoda – Benkei" which I have never heard of and appears to be a 2019 Unofficial pressing according to Discogs.

Paid full price this month, which was £34 and I don't think it's anywhere near worth it. My first box was half-price and so will my fourth box be, so let's see what we get next month!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Dead Goon posted:

My 2nd month's subscription of VinylBox has arrived, having selected the "Jazz Bar" for this month.

I got the 2022 remastered pressing of "John Coltrane - A Love Supreme", which is of course a classic and, gladly, something I didn't already have (most of my Jazz collection is on Blue Note). The second record in the box was "Akira Toyoda – Benkei" which I have never heard of and appears to be a 2019 Unofficial pressing according to Discogs.

Paid full price this month, which was £34 and I don't think it's anywhere near worth it. My first box was half-price and so will my fourth box be, so let's see what we get next month!

I've always talked myself out of subscription services / mystery boxes with the logic that I'd rather pay more money for something I really want than less for something I'd feel obligated to keep around.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cloks posted:

I've always talked myself out of subscription services / mystery boxes with the logic that I'd rather pay more money for something I really want than less for something I'd feel obligated to keep around.

I signed up for VMP pretty early on and got sent doubles of a lot of the albums by accident so that seems like good value. One of them was Madvilliany which is not an inexpensive record now. I think I only did it for a year or something.

But I did get a bunch of stuff I’ve only listened to once. Probably more boring stuff than good stuff.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeit, January 13th.

The pREServed series is awesome 'cause they're legit opening the vaults which are so packed the bonus LP on this one has a bunch of outtakes that don't even appear on the CD version. :hellyeah:

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I had some Evangelion (the anime) vinyl ordered months ago but they didn't have enough stock I guess so I forgot about it and yesterday they just charged me and shipped it so I guess they got more in stock.

https://www.rightstufanime.com/Evangelion-Finally-Vinyl-Soundtrack

Pretty excited.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Turbinosamente posted:

I did this and found it fine though I replaced a Shure V15-III. Only down side is the Ortofon Red is a little too heavy for the auto start on my turntable so I have to help it along, YMMV on that though. Beats trying to track down the needles for the Shure, though this was at the beginning of the pandemic.

Thanks I didn't consider that. The Shure is 6.6 grams or something like that and my auto start fails a lot. I'll look at the Ortofon Super OM which is 5 grams.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

CaptainBeefart posted:

That's dope. drat good haul.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Exposing myself as an idiot so y'all can laugh at me: I have been too spoiled by my automatic turntable, as I just spent ten minutes trying to Google how to play the 10 inch records I just bought...

..Turns out you just...move the arm to the first track. :doh: You know, like you used to have to do!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Automatic turntables are trash for babies. I'm not having the nanny state tell me when I can and can't start or stop a record.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I will drop the needle on the label if I drat well please

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm going to listen to the locked groove on Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy) for 25 minutes when ever I goddamn well please.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Sometimes I feel like pushing the arm past the spindle and playing the left side of the record for a change!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I will drop the needle on the label if I drat well please

I've really only played it once because I don't know if it's great for the stylus but there's a Dead Weather album that has a "secret" track pressed into the label. And I think some other Jack White records with those gimmicks he loves.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

Automatic turntables are trash for babies. I'm not having the nanny state tell me when I can and can't start or stop a record.

I like the automatic return so if I forget (drunk) the stylus doesn't slam into the label all night. Also nice to just tap a button on the way out of the room rather than lifting the dustcover, lifting the stylus and closing dustcover again.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

sporklift posted:

I like the automatic return so if I forget (drunk) the stylus doesn't slam into the label all night.

Yeah, :same:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Playing music to go to sleep is in fact the main reason I wish my AT-LP120 had an option to turn on auto-return.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

The Denon DP-57L is the best of both worlds. There's no auto return or auto start so you need to position the arm manually but the play button auto lowers the arm and it'll auto raise the arm when a side is done so if you accidentally have too many edibles and you can't stand up any longer at least you won't be grinding down your stylus into a fine dust.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."
My RT-85 has an auto-stop that kicks in about thirty seconds after hitting the runout groove. Good for the sleepy, forgetful, or chemically influenced.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

CPL593H posted:

I'm going to listen to the locked groove on Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy) for 25 minutes when ever I goddamn well please.

I have this record the final track of which discogs claims to be 11:06 long, which means just under 6 minutes of a locked groove (of someone brushing their teeth). :wth:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
the album is called F♯A♯∞ and that's how long i plan to listen to it

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Toe Rag posted:

I have this record the final track of which discogs claims to be 11:06 long, which means just under 6 minutes of a locked groove (of someone brushing their teeth). :wth:

hell yes Holy Molar owns. i had so many of those threeoneg albums that were on those mini CDs that are almost entirely unlistenable nowadays.

rip gabe

e: you've probably seen it but mitchapalooza is funny as hell https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvjGJxNyLjQ

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 16, 2022

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Cloks posted:

the album is called F♯A♯∞ and that's how long i plan to listen to it

:hai:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I don't do any of the things everyone else is doing that necessitates an auto return.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
My mans don't sleep

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

My mans don't sleep

Not usually at night and I don't put on records if I'm going to sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Not usually at night and I don't put on records if I'm going to sleep.

Yeah, I wouldn’t care about the record so much, it’s the rest of my gear dying if I don’t shut it off I would worry about.