Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I made the World's Shittiest Powerstone Deck with big artifact creatures whooped Sparky's rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I am very bad at drafting but I am enjoying this set so far! Seems to be doing the things it's supposed to!

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Domed someone for 8, plus life drain, by using an elsewhere flask with corrupt.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Event #2

(17 lands is being wonky)

I gravitated towards black because of removal, and although I could basically be mono-black with filler, I guess I have to choose between green and white for additional power? I guess it's green since I could ramp up through altar or ritualist... maybe I should play the stalwarts? I need to make some cuts regardless. Maybe splash Veteran off the mana creatures or refractor?

Edit: The deck passes its first test

I did jam Siege Veteran in, which was in my last 3 cards but its ability ended up being relevant. I faced a deck that aimed to wall up and then deck the opponent out with Keeper of the Cadence, but I managed to exile it putting them in decking danger. When they had to go on the offensive I was able to hold out long enough through blocking and saccing for value lol, for the first time in a limited match i paid attention to my library count and consciously avoided drawing myself to death

Edit 2: need a lot of patience with this deck lol, trying to avoid the itchy trigger finger with removal. The Veteran did get stranded this game but I got through anyway

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Nov 16, 2022

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Immediately jammed Portal to Phyrexia into my colorless historic deck and remembered my greatest wish: colorless daily quests.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

First draft had first pick dragon engine, p3p1 mythic mishra. Went 7-2 and got to meld into phyrexian voltron to win from 1 life once.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

The bloodbrawl sleeves are currently 0 gold or 0 gems in the store, if you like free spiky footballs

dunno if this has been mentioned.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

7-2 with this. The format is young, some people are not prepared yet for getting run over with 3/1 two-drops.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

None of the retro artifacts are legal in explorer, right?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

resistentialism posted:

None of the retro artifacts are legal in explorer, right?

Some of them are, but those that are were already on arena.

https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=name&q=legal%3Aexplorer+set%3Abrr

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Hmm, should I try No One Left Behind instead of Siege Veteran... With the Gigamoles and Disciples of Gix I can stock my graveyard decently, 5 mana would be a discount for all the big boys and it would be easier to cast than Siege Veteran in my deck

Or I could just put in Obstinate Baloth

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Bugsy posted:

Some of them are, but those that are were already on arena.

https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=name&q=legal%3Aexplorer+set%3Abrr

scryfall hasn't updated yet, there's at least springleaf drum and burnished hart. hart probably isn't good enough but it could be funny in a landfall jank deck

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Calibanibal posted:

scryfall hasn't updated yet, there's at least springleaf drum and burnished hart. hart probably isn't good enough but it could be funny in a landfall jank deck

You are right, should have gone for pioneer.

Astral Corn
BONE SAW
Burnished Hart
Phyrexian Revoker
Sigil of Valor
Springleaf Drum

All new to explorer.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I'm snickering at the free pack code Playbro because it sounds like a magazine for straight JO buddies.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

im tired as gently caress my rares were terrible i ended up just putting a billion red/green/artifact creatures in a deck and went undefeated bronze kicks rear end

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Chamale posted:

7-2 with this. The format is young, some people are not prepared yet for getting run over with 3/1 two-drops.

yeah based on limited experience tomakul honor guard is better than it looks

ward 2 on a 2-drop is basically "lol you can't use your cheap removal on this and you'd never use your expensive removal on this in the first place, hope you have some tokens"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/Ashlizzlle_/status/1592749196645634049

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Opened up my sealed pool to get the blue guy that can return artifacts and copy artifact spells. Pairs amazingly with the Mightstone and Weakstone and artifacts in general. I'm shocked he isn't more highly rated

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Zero VGS posted:

LOL my boyfriend is pissed, he matched against CGB and lost because CGB already had all the rares from the new set and he didn’t.

Edit: he learned to play entirely from me and watching 1000+ hours of CGB so he definitely wanted to win, now I get to tease him about it forever

Your boyfriend already lost from watching 1000+ hours of CGB

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

fridge corn posted:

Your boyfriend already lost from watching 1000+ hours of CGB

He puts in on the TV as background noise which is how he racked up that many hours, not sure if that makes it better or worse. CGB is one of the better playing and least obnoxious streamers though, and definitely one of the best to actually teach new people how to play since he explains every decision in detail.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am 1-4 in the Phantom Sealed so far lol... based on how many mythics are flying out I am guessing people are just immediately dumping the event unless they opened a monstrous pool

I don't think that's a thing. I can't see a way to end/exit the event.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

salt shakeup posted:

It's not, Charlie just Charling on day 1

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I started brainstorming for an Urza brawl deck, trying to meld him. But then I just realized that the best way to do that is to play straight up the most boring possible UW control. I don't think any of the powerstone cards are good enough for historic brawl, so there probably isn't any point to trying to ramp into big artifacts or meld him early. I think the way that deck wins is tutoring for the mightstone/weakstone, and then on your next turn, tapping 8 lands/mana rocks and the mightstone/weakstone to play and meld urza while holding up counterspells to protect him and wiping the board repeatedly.

Mishra might be a little easier to meld, since the dragon engine is a creature, black has better tutoring options, and the dragon can be played from the graveyard. You can also just go wide with Mishra on the top of your curve. Of course if you're going aggressive, then the meld is only a backup plan, or just a distraction so they hold up removal for Mishra while you just kill them with other stuff instead.

Titania might be the hardest because if you use her for the commander, there are only 2 cards in mono-green in historic that tutor for any land, Ulvenwald Hydra and Elvish Reclaimer. Though you probably could tutor for THOSE to get the land and meld her. She's also the most underwhelming though. On turn 6, you maybe get an 8/8 trample haste that can turn a land or 2 into 4/4s. I probably wouldn't make her the commander. But her and her land would probably go in a Gitrog Monster deck, or something simic.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

two tef5s at the same time man

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

salt shakeup posted:

I simply meant that people who didn't get bombs in their pool were probably not gonna play things out for two ICRs and a style

Lone Goat posted:

It's not, Charlie just Charling on day 1

Ok...

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Because of the artifact thingy you're more likely to encounter mythics

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

40 lbs to freedom posted:

im tired as gently caress my rares were terrible i ended up just putting a billion red/green/artifact creatures in a deck and went undefeated bronze kicks rear end

My sealed deck had really bad rares. Two Tocasia's. I just jammed my G/W uncommons and prototypes and went 3-0

Think it might be a pauper format

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I got the full set of Tron Boys and a Self Assembler to tutor for one of them in my phantom sealed, and they won me a game, so this is a good format. Painful Quandry also won me a game but that's not as exciting, that's just what that card does.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

A Moose posted:

I got the full set of Tron Boys and a Self Assembler to tutor for one of them in my phantom sealed, and they won me a game, so this is a good format. Painful Quandry also won me a game but that's not as exciting, that's just what that card does.

I got this in my first draft and went 6/3 which was exciting. The Assembly-Workers gang is very good when you have all three, but none of them are useless alone which really helps it. This is the deck: https://www.17lands.com/deck/72f8c0584f0c41ad8ea93d30e745f4b4

Steel Seraph is amazing, Mindbreaker was mediocre but won a couple of games just by being the biggest thing on the board when opponent was empty. I assembled the workers like 4 or 5 times. Very nice.

The good news on the next one is that I definitely found my lane. The bad news is that I therefore have exactly one off-colour card and cuts to make aaaaa

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I had the golem that makes 3 of itself ETB and my opponent immediately removed all of them. Feels bad but I won anyway

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I only did the Phantom Sealed but made a weirdo aggro/ramp Mardu deck. I got Springleaf drum in every game and had 10 colorless cards and a ton of prototypes. Game plan was basically drop 3/1s and powerstones to keep the opponent busy, then ramp into big stuff. Went 3 and 0 and it was never particularly close. Rares that got played were Helm of the Host and Steel Seraph which are absolute beaters in limited.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
My initial thoughts on the format (perhaps not worth much!) but powerstones are not as commonly available as expected, but there are lots of ways to use them. I find 1, 2 maybe 3 are around a game, and plenty of mana sinks and big things to use them.

Synergy isn't as important as DomU, but card quality and card advantage is much more important.

Decking is definitely a possibility as theres lots of self-mill and deck churning.

Removal is more important than it was in DomU.

Fixing is very different because there aren't common dual lands, but tons of artifact ways to filter mana. The Old Artifacts almost always play a pretty important role, as either important role players or bombs. I Had To Hand It to an opponent who dropped a Blackblade Reforged and equipped it for its full mana cost in a turn after ramping, and doming me for 11.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

My biggest feel with this set more than others is that it's sometimes really, really easy to get locked out of good early drops - there's TONNES of good topend, but each colour has only relatively few decent two drops, so winding up without enough feels like a very real risk.

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

precision posted:

I had the golem that makes 3 of itself ETB and my opponent immediately removed all of them. Feels bad but I won anyway

I cast this on 5 with a fight card in my hand but opp killed them all, yep. Frown. Reads like you could fight with all 3 yes?

Visions of Phyrexia is freakin nutty. It even ramps you a powerstone the turn you play it. RG beats seemed pretty good for my sealed

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
the range in limited card quality is just so stark at times. i think there is room for aggro but it's narrow. You can't just go low to the ground and hope for the best. the amount of incidental card draw in this set is surprising to me. it feels like there's a constant stream of threats, which creates tough, interesting choices when using your removal/interaction.

thespaceinvader posted:

My biggest feel with this set more than others is that it's sometimes really, really easy to get locked out of good early drops - there's TONNES of good topend, but each colour has only relatively few decent two drops, so winding up without enough feels like a very real risk.

agreed

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lords of Limited have their Tier List up:
https://www.lordsoflimited.com/tier-list

As does Chord_o_Calls (Limited Level Ups)
https://www.17lands.com/tier_list/b8d4ba9d1bad49828bfa6371f6b4f09b

The first list felt pretty iffy to me lol, I was looking at that one while drafting and there were cards that read pretty well and would be a C- on their list. The second list feels more reasonable

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 16, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think Tocasia's Welcome is legit one of the best cards you can draft

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Any cuts here?

https://www.17lands.com/deck/3212562325ed4a13bd5e308084a9de2a

It's a real tough deck to build, card quality feels consistently high.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

precision posted:

I think Tocasia's Welcome is legit one of the best cards you can draft

It does suffer a bit by needing a critical number of enablers but if you are in white that's the direction you want to be in aleady.

Had a devastating loss from 14 life after my opponent topdecked a recruiter into an artifact that pumped his phalanx vanguard (pumped 2 x with fallaji vanguard) and got flying due to thopter architect and attacked for exact lethal because I only kept a ground blocker. I may be missing some trigger but I was dumb founded that a 2/2 got to 14 without combat tricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

thespaceinvader posted:

Any cuts here?

https://www.17lands.com/deck/3212562325ed4a13bd5e308084a9de2a

It's a real tough deck to build, card quality feels consistently high.

thats actually really cute if you can get the evolving wilds/infiltrator/behemoth combo going, i hope it works out

i dont really like excavation or moment of defiance

there's a lot of x/1s so i dont think gruesome realization is ever a bad card