Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
who's the stowaway in legion? I always feel stupid not getting these kinda cliffhangers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
That's Nimrod's silhouette, but watch it turn out to not be Nimrod.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Joe Fisto posted:

I feel like I'm going crazy now! I recall some big bad who'd made it on to Krakoa waltzing out of the jungle wearing beast.

Maybe it was just a fantasy because modern Beast sucks rear end.

Can they resurrect him from a backup from the 80s?

maybe you're thinking of Moira wearing Banshee's skin to get in?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

GOD IS BED posted:

That’s it!

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Beast mentions coming back from the dead in inner monologue in X-Force #23. But he hasn't been shown dying on panel since Krakoa started to my knowledge so we haven't seen him come from an egg. In fact, with the damage to his eye and everything, it's been specifically shown that he hasn't died.

It makes sense to me that this is Dark Beast, doing Dark Beast poo poo, and he will do anything to not die... since he won't get resurrected.

Cartridgeblowers posted:

In that same issue of X-Force Beast says Cerebro has backups of the old Beast.

Wait, are you saying that the beast in X-Force is Dark Beast as in from the AoA timeline or that he is turning into the same type of villain as Dark Beast but 616? This being AoA Dark Beast impersonating Hank would be interesting but I also think 616 Hank has been a dick for a long time and needs to pay some consequences. Also, he doesn’t have Grey hair.

Edit:

GOD IS BED posted:

Or, more recently, Kraven using Deadpool’s head on a stick

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dark beast died in bendis' run, albeit in a particularly easy to fake way. also, he never mutated into cat/goat/ape forms so they are no longer mostly identical, but again that's probably something he could handle easily enough.

i think this is just hank, though. he's completely off the leash. he can do whatever the gently caress he wants and his only oversight is a barely functional alcoholic who can't stand up to him. hank thinks that he always knows what is best (because he's so smart) and that the ends (mutant sovereignty) justify the means. that's not new, and this tendency has been getting increasingly drastic throughout the current x-force run.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Dark Beast also got killed in a not-easy-to-fake manner in Rosenberg's run

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I'm excited for the reveal to be that Beast was resurrected at one point and to make him more pliable to all the shady poo poo he's doing, Xavier just put Dark Beast's mind into him.

Because if there's anything x-writers love more than making Beast a piece of poo poo, it's making Chuck one.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

danbanana posted:

I'm excited for the reveal to be that Beast was resurrected at one point and to make him more pliable to all the shady poo poo he's doing, Xavier just put Dark Beast's mind into him.

Because if there's anything x-writers love more than making Beast a piece of poo poo, it's making Chuck one.

Ugh. This past few days I have started seriously considering to unbookmark this thread. Between all the posting on Benjamin Percy's years of edgy garbage writing that I've been trying my best to stay away from, now this? This takes the cake. And it's exactly the sort of thing Percy would write next, too. :cripes:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Percy stinks. You can talk about other X books! Like Sabretooth and the Exiles was pretty good and I'm happy we're gonna find out what Orphan Maker's powers are.

I can't talk about Marauders because that book is completely incomprehensible to me. Everyone is naked in a hot tub and then they get new suits and go back in time or something I don't know.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

I can't talk about Marauders because that book is completely incomprehensible to me. Everyone is naked in a hot tub and then they get new suits and go back in time or something I don't know.

Oh, I didn't know this was written by Chris Claremont!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

For how verboise Claremont was, at least the majority of the time you knew what was going on. Marauders might as well be written in some made up language.

I think it's also weird Kate is just hanging out naked since I don't think that really seems like her character but I dunno.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Saoshyant posted:

Oh, I didn't know this was written by Chris Claremont!

Now now. Nobody's replaced their arms with tentacles yet.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

I think it's also weird Kate is just hanging out naked since I don't think that really seems like her character but I dunno.

It does seem like Kate and Bishop have inadvertently assembled a group that is consciously attempting to take the crown of "horniest X-team" and are trying to figure out how they feel about that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

For how verboise Claremont was, at least the majority of the time you knew what was going on. Marauders might as well be written in some made up language.

Given she spent half of Excalibur naked, maybe she's just decided to go with it

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Aw, I liked Marauders this week. The literal mutant circuit -- more of a body-meld, really -- was cool.

I dunno what I feel about Percy's handling of Beast at this point. I've been very upfront about the fact that I've been finding Hank's whole descent into corruption to be somewhat hamfisted and unbelievable...by which I mean, I fully believe that Hank can be corrupted, but not that everyone else has been letting it all happen with the barest of pushback. That's the thing I don't think Percy (and many other X-writers throughout the years, to be honest) really understands: when you make a character shittier and more awful, that doesn't just reflect on the character themselves, but also on every other character around them who were apparently all too dense to have noticed their teammate changing in such blatant, unsubtle ways, and also too inept to do have done anything about it. It's a problem I've had with Victor Lavalle's Sabretooth series as well, along with several other storylines that the X-Men have gone through through the years.

That being said, I do also think this story is leading somewhere very remarkable, especially in the sense that it's clearly where Percy had been planning to take this character and this team all along and now we get to see the fruits of all this labor. It's so rare that a dramatic character turn like this has been allowed the time and space in order to grow into the end result we have now, encompassing not just Percy's depiction of Hank but also, frankly, many many years of Hank's portrayals throughout various previous books and writers. This is a storyline that's been decades in the telling, which is a type of story that the current Krakoa era has been really great at delivering.

The problem is that all this story and all this build-up has...to be honest, not actually been particularly compelling or interesting to read, in my opinion? Like it's nice that you have all this time and space to be able to tell this story with, but the story...still has to be good. And like I said, all this stuff with Hank in X-Force has just felt kinda forced and unrealistic and we really needed to have pulverized the entire population of Krakoa with the idiot stick for us to have gotten to this point. Seriously, I'd say every other subplot throughout X-Force has felt more interesting and organic than this one has. So even if the capstone finale that we're leading up to is super great and meticulously well-written, it's like...well, the journey to get here has still been pretty uneven and irritating.

Like, hey, prove me wrong, Ben Percy. I'd love to be fully impressed by the crowning epic climax of Hank McCoy receiving his long-deserved comeuppance and for this to retroactively redeem all the issues we'd read to get here..

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it'd make more sense if beast had been quietly doing all his crimes against humanity on the downlow, to the point that the powers that be mostly forgot about x-force. instead, the messy bitch is constantly making public fuckups while also sending smug memos to the council.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Wonder Man is gonna shoot out from Rogue's hoo-haw or whatever person has absorbed him this time and give Beast a noogie, and the noogie will exorcise the evil, which will take psychic form and be defeated by something Ewing will write up as a way to both tie up a loose end and also further his own stories because apparently Al Ewing's superpower is Continuity.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
on topic I suppose :xd:
https://twitter.com/thetokyotourist/status/1591160068732760066

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

That was a great episode, i never knew what Threnody's whole deal was

\/\/\/\/Well then you got a great 5 hours coming up

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 12, 2022

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I read all those bad/weird X-Man comics back in the day and I still don't know what Threnody's whole deal was.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Saoshyant posted:

I read all those bad/weird X-Man comics back in the day and I still don't know what Threnody's whole deal was.

Threnody was in the niche of mutants at the time with very specific powers, like the one Upstart whose power was being a human TV transmitter or something.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Okay, I was just reading Venom #13 and Madeyline Pryor (Goblin Queen) is in the end of it. I am going to have to start reading more Venom comics to see what comes of it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Okay, I was just reading Venom #13 and Madeyline Pryor (Goblin Queen) is in the end of it. I am going to have to start reading more Venom comics to see what comes of it.

it's a lead-in for Dark Web, the Spider-Man/Venom/X-Men crossover starting next month

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

it's a lead-in for Dark Web, the Spider-Man/Venom/X-Men crossover starting next month

Oh cool I did not even know there was a x-over coming!

Edit: Is there anything else I should get to read for the lead-up?

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 16, 2022

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 46 minutes!

GOD IS BED posted:

Jumped into this thread after not reading X-men since uh, Avengers vs X-men with all the Phoenix poo poo and wow seems like a lot has changed...

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Oh cool I did not even know there was a x-over coming!

Edit: Is there anything else I should get to read for the lead-up?

There was a recent New Mutants arc in which Illyana turned Limbo over to Madelyne. Not sure how important it will be, but it explains why she's the ruler of Limbo now. Other than that, there was a short story in the Free Comic Book day issue this year which set up Maddie and Ben Reilly. And I guess if you want to know what his deal is, you'd want to read the last Amazing Spider-Man series where Ben was the lead.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

is it a clones of the world, unite! thing?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Hey X-thread, so I'm nearing the end of the Claremont years and I guess this is where it starts to get 90s complicated? Is there some kind of similar guide I can follow leading up to AoA like this one I was using?

also I wish the outback-era x-men lasted longer :(

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

There was a recent New Mutants arc in which Illyana turned Limbo over to Madelyne. Not sure how important it will be, but it explains why she's the ruler of Limbo now. Other than that, there was a short story in the Free Comic Book day issue this year which set up Maddie and Ben Reilly. And I guess if you want to know what his deal is, you'd want to read the last Amazing Spider-Man series where Ben was the lead.

I read those New Mutants :-D I was thinking if there were any other Spider-Man or Venom comics that I missed. I don't normally get anything except X-men related things. It was just random that I picked up a Venom comic, and thank you!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

hope and vaseline posted:

Same. Very much same.

I don't know about a guide but friends and I did a read of all post-Claremont, pre-HoxPox x-events. We found it a good way to the lowdown on what was going on in the books at the time. For stuff I liked (particularly if there was a writer doing something interesting), I went and read more.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I read those New Mutants :-D I was thinking if there were any other Spider-Man or Venom comics that I missed. I don't normally get anything except X-men related things. It was just random that I picked up a Venom comic, and thank you!

Oh, then only Spider-Man if you want the backstory for his part of the crossover. Otherwise I believe next week's issue of Spider-Man is where this will start to kick off. It will be in Venom, Spider-Man, X-Men, and a couple of mini series and one shots.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

What is/was even happening with Ben Reilly? He came back as sort of a zombie in a somewhat recent Peter David storyline with its own book (about 25 issues or so). It wasn't very good, but I read it because I'm a PAD fan usually. Then it ended kind of abruptly because sales.

Then a couple of years later, Zeb Wells is writing Ben Reilly now taking over the Spidey role while Peter was in the hospital after the Nick Spencer run. I don't think any of that Las Vegas angels vs demon bullshit story was referenced, but this new run didn't hold my interest enough to keep reading it long and see if it would, so :shrug:

And now Peter is Spidey again and Ben Reilly is out there doing something in the Venom book with Madelyne Prior, which is now leading into a X-Men crossover? I'm very confused.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 16, 2022

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Hey X-thread, so I'm nearing the end of the Claremont years and I guess this is where it starts to get 90s complicated? Is there some kind of similar guide I can follow leading up to AoA like this one I was using?

I'd say you can pretty safely just read Uncanny and Adjectiveless X-Men up to AOA, with a few exceptions. You might want to check into the first few issues of X-force just to get its temperature so you get why it's different than New Mutants. And there are some crossover events that just don't make sense unless you read every issue which kind of sucks (I'm thinking X-Cutioner's Song is the big problem here). On the other hand you can pretty much just read the mainline Fatal Attraction comics and get the gist. If you want context for current comics you want to make sure you read all of Phalanx Covenant since that is still relevant. Also be sure to check out Cyclops and Jean Grey, I can't remember if it falls before or after AoA anymore.

There's still a couple good years of Excalibur but it's not essential for the mainline story and everyone ignores its continuity.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Are you trying to read everything or just the main X-Men books?

If the latter, I think Rick has you covered.

if the former, your best bet is to just read each series in chunks between major events. Uncanny and Adjectiveless play off each other, but the remaining books largely keep to themselves except for crossovers.

X-Force once Liefeld fucks off might be the best series running up to AOA. (Generation X is also pretty good, but there's only four issues of it before AOA starts.)

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Rick posted:

I'd say you can pretty safely just read Uncanny and Adjectiveless X-Men up to AOA, with a few exceptions. You might want to check into the first few issues of X-force just to get its temperature so you get why it's different than New Mutants. And there are some crossover events that just don't make sense unless you read every issue which kind of sucks (I'm thinking X-Cutioner's Song is the big problem here). On the other hand you can pretty much just read the mainline Fatal Attraction comics and get the gist. If you want context for current comics you want to make sure you read all of Phalanx Covenant since that is still relevant. Also be sure to check out Cyclops and Jean Grey, I can't remember if it falls before or after AoA anymore.

There's still a couple good years of Excalibur but it's not essential for the mainline story and everyone ignores its continuity.

Yeah I think I'm mostly interested in the main x-books as well as Excalibur, Peter David's X-Factor, and Nicieza's X-Force because of how much I love the remaining New Mutants (jesus christ they really churned through the cast, with Doug dying in that weird Birdboy arc, Magik reverted to a kid, Lock dead after X-Tinction Agenda, Rahne staying behind in Genosha, Dani doing Asgard things, I can't even remember what happened to Karma)

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 16, 2022

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Doug dying in that weird Birdboy arc

the worst part of the original new mutants series

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Yeah I think I'm mostly interested in the main x-books as well as Excalibur, Peter David's X-Factor, and Nicieza's X-Force because of how much I love the remaining New Mutants (jesus christ they really churned through the cast, with Doug dying in that weird Birdboy arc, Magik reverted to a kid, Lock dead after X-Tinction Agenda, Rahne staying behind in Genosha, Dani doing Asgard things, I can't even remember what happened to Karma)

Yeah I think you got it covered with your interests, and Endless MIke is right that X-Force gets really good once Liefeld leaves (although I have a soft spot for it with him there since it's 90s Comics: The Comic). X-Factor is also really good and everything right up to Britanic in Excalibur is my personal favorite Marvel comic run.

I agree, too, the last half of New Mutants is so depressing. As someone who at that time largely followed comics via graphic novels at that time, I remember reading Asgard Attacks and just loving all those kids and then picking up the comics like, "WHAT?????? HAPPENED???" It makes X-Force make a lot of sense really even if it wasn't intentional.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I love the idea of Charles Babbage vs Charles Darwin over the fate of humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Any thoughts to the "You're a ghost" line that recurs throughout Immortal X-Men?