Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
NORMAN

NORMAN

NORMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WELL I'M NOT TO KNOW YOU'RE LISTENING IF YOU DON'T SAY ANYTHING, NORMAN :mad:

crispix fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Nov 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/DominicRaab/status/1592820403676020737

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

https://twitter.com/debarghya_das/status/1592214346289274880?t=Y_RKi7neGn061tGFODUjVQ&s=19

Combining the face eating leopards / imperial core / me finding out memes to create a marxist grand slam of "I never expected capitalism's enless march of worker exploitation to breach the safety of MY middle class!"

Twitter at least has uh some extenuating circumstances though (a complete literal maniac bought the company and on his first day arbitrarily decided he didn't need all the people that make that company go). Meanwhile isn't Robinhood something crypto-ish?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

feedmegin posted:

Twitter at least has uh some extenuating circumstances though (a complete literal maniac bought the company and on his first day arbitrarily decided he didn't need all the people that make that company go). Meanwhile isn't Robinhood something crypto-ish?

The only Robinhood I know of was Nottingham Council's attempt to operate an energy supplier, but that's defunct a couple of years back.

E: went looking. They are a finance related company and they have done crypto trading, but they're mostly stocks. Hopefully this is them laying off the entire crypto team.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Nov 16, 2022

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

RobinHood is an app that lets you invest in stocks without paying broker fees. It is the driver behind r/WallStreetBets which you might remember from them buying GameStop stocks such that hedge funds lost billions of dollars because they had tried to short those stocks (gambling that the price would go down, and since WSB inflated the price, their gamble failed)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Inflation report:

Pack of 16 bog rolls from Waitrose was £6 late March and is now £7.25 = 21% inflation in 8 months.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah but if you can’t afford to eat then you won’t need to go as much so it’s probably net 0

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1592853088771411968

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Inflation report:

Pack of 16 bog rolls from Waitrose was £6 late March and is now £7.25 = 21% inflation in 8 months.

I get the nice quilted poo poo and a pack of 9 in Tesco has gone from £5 to £7.75 in about 18 months

Oct 4, 2005

My local has a pack of 9 for £11. The price has near doubled in 12 months.

Guess I'll have to start pooping less

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

just go to aldi they cost like £3-4 for 9 rolls depending on how thick you want them

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

One of these costs £18

Mine's already paid for itself many times over, and it's much kinder for middle aged intimate sensitivities

I just use paper to dry

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

1965917 posted:

9 for £11
Coincidence? :tinfoil:

Wet poo can't melt quilted weave.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I poop into a bag, the savings speak for themselves.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/UpshotTowers/status/1592594664267583488

:allears:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

If The Conservatives' Russell Findlay wants a solution to any problem that starts with "prisons are full" he'd do well taking advice from places where they are less full than promoting the rhetoric of places where they are more full.

There is also work that can be done to improve the internal running of prisons. (By which I mean "What do prisons do with prisoners on a daily basis? Like do you want them to be places of rehabilitation? If so how do you go about that. Offer more education/addiction counseling/ behavior's therapy programs. Etc...)

Obviously these are politically difficult things to do (It's very easy for the tabloids/conservatives to spin it as "criminal scum get a holiday and learn useful things while in prison!" And while the results are good medium to long term, they can be difficult to quantify in the short term.)

I am reminded of a story that I was told by staff from the Irish Prison services. They had a number of Australian Prison Service Officers come over as part of a cross country exchange of information exercise. Supposedly the Australian officers were really surprised at how the Irish Prison services operated. The quote I remember was...

"You talk to your prisoners? With us, if we aren't putting them in holes and beating them with sticks, we are shooting them for running away."

So yeah....that was a thing.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Inflation report:

I beefed up my stockpile when Brexit occurred, been making GBS threads on the cheap since 2020. :cloudnine:

Being a hoarder only pays off in the long term.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

just train your body to only take a dump while at work, saving on paper, water, and hand soap

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Didn't they already try to get her deselected by saying she had little support (ie encouraging people to think they should vote for someone else) but she won every ward?

Yes
https://www.politicshome.com/news/a...rty-is-underway

feedmegin posted:

Meanwhile isn't Robinhood something crypto-ish?

Robinhood is a trading platform but they really pushed Crypto as well, then locked people's accounts out from selling (you could still buy lol) when things like AMC popped and then left their customers with the bags when it crashed again - they were referred to the SEC as were their venture capitalist overlords. Ofcourse they're still in operation and still practicing predatory business ideas. They're commonly known as the place all new traders or people FOMOing on meme stocks and then lose all their money.

e: lol musk, I hope he's the only one left after this week:
'“Going forward, to build a breakthrough Twitter 2.0 and succeed in an increasingly competitive world, we will need to be extremely hardcore. This will mean working long hours at high intensity. Only exceptional performance will constitute a passing grade,” Musk wrote.'

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 16, 2022

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

kecske posted:

just train your body to only take a dump while at work, saving on paper, water, and hand soap

I only go into the office once a month so it's going to be tough but I'll do my best

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Going to the office to destroy the toilet with a megaturd which is finally repaired just in time for your next office visit.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Training my body to maximum efficiency where 98% of all food is converted to energy and I poo poo a single pellet every quarter.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

keep punching joe posted:

Training my body to maximum efficiency where 98% of all food is converted to energy and I poo poo a single pellet every quarter.

Wasting valuable biomass, citizen. Twelve social credits deducted - you are no longer allowed to stand still outside for longer than five seconds.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Investigation says not guilty = no problem.

Investigation says guilty = "I believe in redemption", "full confidence" = no problem.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

As well as paying locals to pretend to be fans of the various teams the Qataris are already beating up journalists for , erm, reporting on the World Cup.

https://twitter.com/theipaper/status/1592847151406911489

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

kecske posted:

We only go in the office on a Monday, otherwise WFH and I'm also on leave this week. So I reckon I would be up like a barrage balloon if I did that. (Do you youngsters know what barrage balloons are just as a matter of interest?)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

As well as paying locals to pretend to be fans of the various teams the Qataris are already beating up journalists for , erm, reporting on the World Cup.

Who could have guessed the authoritarian dictatorship of an absolute monarchy that rules by force would do something like this.

Oh right, FIFA, the greedy bribe-suckling cunts

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

Coincidence? :tinfoil:

Wet poo can't melt quilted weave.

:lmao:

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

keep punching joe posted:

Nibbler?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

smellmycheese posted:

Were they even doing anything vaguely controversial or did the cops just see a journalist and go "must smash!"

The Question IRL posted:

"You talk to your prisoners? With us, if we aren't putting them in holes and beating them with sticks, we are shooting them for running away."

So yeah....that was a thing.
I remember a similar thing about an American warden visiting a Swedish prison and being amazed that there were human rights there, and one of the Swedish guards saying something along the lines of "we don't do this just for the sake of the criminal, but for the sake of society so there is no next victim."

It seems to work too when you compare recidivism rates, but Sweden having some functioning welfare state might help with that too.

It helps avoid the glorification of violence too, plenty of revolutionary figures went through brutal imprisonment, but nobody wants to follow the revolutionary whining of Anders Brevik Fjotrolf Harris whining about not having the latest PlayStation.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

smellmycheese posted:

It says theyre private security guards not cops? And noone seemed to get beaten up? Youtube is full of worse than this from here in this country.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

We only go in the office on a Monday, otherwise WFH and I'm also on leave this week. So I reckon I would be up like a barrage balloon if I did that. (Do you youngsters know what barrage balloons are just as a matter of interest?)

Not a youngster but yes ;p mind you nobody alive other than maybe my 96 year old gran is going to have seen one in person, presumably you included :shobon:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Diet Crack posted:

e: lol musk, I hope he's the only one left after this week:
'“Going forward, to build a breakthrough Twitter 2.0 and succeed in an increasingly competitive world, we will need to be extremely hardcore. This will mean working long hours at high intensity. Only exceptional performance will constitute a passing grade,” Musk wrote.'

I have noticed with interest he has fired 50% of his staff and now expects the remaining 50% percent to work 80 hour weeks. hmmm 50% of 80 hours is what, exactly? :thunk:

(I somehow doubt their salaries are being doubled to compensate)

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 16, 2022

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Really hoping he ends today with 5 people, all of them managers, none who know how to code

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

feedmegin posted:

Not a youngster but yes ;p mind you nobody alive other than maybe my 96 year old gran is going to have seen one in person, presumably you included :shobon:

I've definitely seen one a few times, it would be late 60s/early 70s. Don't know what it was doing, but my parents seemed to think it was quite normal.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Tells you whether Tesco is open or under threat of air raid.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It says theyre private security guards not cops? And noone seemed to get beaten up? Youtube is full of worse than this from here in this country.

The Qatar Defender has logged on

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I didn't realise Elon was the leader of Qatar

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

The Qatar Defender has logged on

Probably easier than defending Elon at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Also lol at saying the UK is worse as if we're not a fash country