Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Scherzer got 3/130 for his age 37-39 seasons, which is already pretty extraordinary. Verlander will be 40 by the time he throws his first pitch of the 2023 season.

Like it's not unprecedented, Randy, Niekro, Moyer pitched effectively into their mid-40's in the modern era. I find it really unlikely though that anybody's going to commit dollars through Verlander's age 42 season, let alone $40M+ AAV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that's a poo poo ton of money for a middle aged pitcher. No matter how well he's holding up. Maybe he's one of those crazy exceptions but maybe his arm just falls off one day soon.

I dunno. I don't see him getting that. But I don't know anything.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I was shocked but not shocked to hear that Tyler Anderson is the first multi-year contract given to Starter since Joe Blanton in 2012!!! A full decade of 1 year lottery ticket signings of scrap heapers hoping for a dead cat bounce. Not a single one was worth a drat outside of I guess Thor?

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Arivia posted:

“oh, let me get the roast out of the warming bernabel”

Lmao

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Pirates didn't protect Malcom Nuñez which seems dangerous. People tell me first basemen are rarely taken in the rule 5, but if he gets taken I'm gonna be pissed at Cherington

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sydin posted:

Scherzer got 3/130 for his age 37-39 seasons, which is already pretty extraordinary. Verlander will be 40 by the time he throws his first pitch of the 2023 season.

Like it's not unprecedented, Randy, Niekro, Moyer pitched effectively into their mid-40's in the modern era. I find it really unlikely though that anybody's going to commit dollars through Verlander's age 42 season, let alone $40M+ AAV.

That kind of deal for that age would be unprecedented. Niekro was a knuckleballer, Moyer was a junkball pitcher with an 80 mph fastball, and while Randy did throw a perfect game at age 40, he fell off pretty bad in each of his post-40 seasons. I'm not saying JV's gonna be dogshit next year, or even in year 3 of that deal, but I sure as hell wouldn't risk it.

I do wonder if taking 2 years off from competitive baseball to rehab an injury using 2020s medicine takes miles off the odometer

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
From an Astros perspective since that's where he's coming from and they want to bring him back, given their pitching depth and pressing needs elsewhere I wouldn't want to bring him back at that AAV unless Crane is willing to go deep into the tax (which I doubt he is)

A team like the O's, Guardians, M's, Brewers with a lower payroll that's close and needs that one or two pieces may be more likely. Though I suspect the M's are gonna blow their wad on Correa instead

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

camoseven posted:

Pirates didn't protect Malcom Nuñez which seems dangerous. People tell me first basemen are rarely taken in the rule 5, but if he gets taken I'm gonna be pissed at Cherington

I don’t actually expect Nuñez will wind up being a good player but it’s going to be really funny when Cherington’s Big Return for José Quintana is lost in the Rule 5 Draft while James Click is sitting on the bench available for hire.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Thinking about that time the Pirates forgot to update their 40 man and got raided including losing Joey Bats

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/1592743455796924417

Well, he addresses that here, in vague exec speak

quote:

“I know him well, so we’ve been pretty candid,” Crane said. “He’s looking at the comp, which I think there’s only one or two. … J.V.’s probably got a few years left, and he wants to make the most of it. I think he’s going to test the market on that.”

Sounds like he hopes no one is gonna bite on what JV wants and he can resign him for something closer to 2 years and $20m aav. I don't like that he's "taking his time" finding a GM, he's gonna talk himself into the job.

Last line of the story

quote:

It would be nice to get a left-handed pitcher in the bullpen.”

I spent the entire WS terrified that Dusty was going to bring in Will Smith to face the lefties at the top of the Phillies order. Do not give managers bullpen options.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

camoseven posted:

By Gawd is that Alex Anthopoulos music i hear.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Intruder posted:

Thinking about that time the Pirates forgot to update their 40 man and got raided including losing Joey Bats

This was the first thing to come to my mind too

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
It’s hard to believe Littlefield is still working in baseball after that debacle.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

zoux posted:

Sounds like he hopes no one is gonna bite on what JV wants and he can resign him for something closer to 2 years and $20m aav. I don't like that he's "taking his time" finding a GM, he's gonna talk himself into the job.

Oh god dont' turn into Jerry Jones

Prior to the scandal Crane seemed to be a "let your baseball guys make the decisions" sort of owner I hope he didn't learn the wrong lesson

2/70 is probably the absolute minimum you could sign JV for, he'll get that from SOMEONE

e: I see he's going right to "just bring Yuli back" after striking out on Rizzo

e2: my guess I'm throwing out for JV's next contract: 2/70 with a club option for a third year at $40m and a $10m buyout

Intruder fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 16, 2022

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Intruder posted:

From an Astros perspective since that's where he's coming from and they want to bring him back, given their pitching depth and pressing needs elsewhere I wouldn't want to bring him back at that AAV unless Crane is willing to go deep into the tax (which I doubt he is)

A team like the O's, Guardians, M's, Brewers with a lower payroll that's close and needs that one or two pieces may be more likely. Though I suspect the M's are gonna blow their wad on Correa instead

I don't see any way the Mariners would be in on him.

The only way it would make any sense is if he's still unsigned after they address at least a few major holes in the lineup and is amicable for a shorter term deal. He's not going to be unsigned in early December.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

GalacticAcid posted:

I don’t actually expect Nuñez will wind up being a good player but it’s going to be really funny when Cherington’s Big Return for José Quintana is lost in the Rule 5 Draft while James Click is sitting on the bench available for hire.

Yea more likely than not he'll flame out, but protecting a 24 year old AA guy who projects as a utility bat at best instead of the chunky home run hitter that we literally just got is very aggravating.

I'd love Click obviously but Nutting ain't gonna do that

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1592905017765380096?s=20&t=2G7tFgCd6Pz1xEmuh5nWtQ

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Well that's unexpected. Teoscar is pretty good!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I hate this front office again.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Not Mr.Seeds!

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

:( I like teoscar

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1592909180351954944

Lmao

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/RyanDivish/status/1592908378061561856?t=bY1HwpvK_ZiIUpAYPUJXag&s=19

Teoscar is an FA at the end of the year so I guess the haul being a good reliever and a prospect sounds right.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

When you have a chance to get a reliever coming off a supreme outlier year you gotta do it

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Do the Jays have a prospect ready to replace him or something?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Lol no

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Macko is like the 8th ish best prospect on the M's? Not a huge haul.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Maybe this is a sign the Bichette for Acuna deal is happening then :v:

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

When you have a chance to get a reliever coming off a supreme outlier year you gotta do it

Not as much of an outlier as it might look. Swanson's problem when he was starting was that he was throwing an absolute meatball changeup a lot of the time.

Since moving to the pen he dropped it and went with a pretty solid/great splitter instead.

He's an easy slot-in to an 8th inning/set up role and is probably the most dependable reliever who was in the Mariners bullpen last year.

mcmagic posted:

Macko is like the 8th ish best prospect on the M's? Not a huge haul.

Decent size and stuff, projects as a #3/mid rotation guy. He had a lot of fans in and outside the org and has decent upside into maybe flashing as a #2 sometimes.

Penisaurus Sex fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 16, 2022

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Jays better be signing Nimmo or trading for Reynolds or something like that otherwise this is stupidly bad

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

seiferguy posted:

https://twitter.com/RyanDivish/status/1592908378061561856?t=bY1HwpvK_ZiIUpAYPUJXag&s=19

Teoscar is an FA at the end of the year so I guess the haul being a good reliever and a prospect sounds right.
That’s still a pretty tiny return

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Intruder posted:

Do the Jays have a prospect ready to replace him or something?

ronald acuna jr.

Intruder posted:

drat you!!!!!!!!!!!!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Intruder posted:

LOL. LMAO.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Well, as a Mariners fan, I'm pretty happy about this trade. It makes it increasingly unlikely that Haniger will be back, which does make the fan in me sad, but Hernandez doesn't have a bad injury history. Left field remains a bit of a question mark since Winker's name is in a lot of trade rumors and Kelenic still doesn't look like an MLB-level hitter, but I'm happy about giving up a reliever and a far-off pitching prospect for Teoscar's + bat.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Pungry posted:

Well, as a Mariners fan, I'm pretty happy about this trade. It makes it increasingly unlikely that Haniger will be back, which does make the fan in me sad, but Hernandez doesn't have a bad injury history. Left field remains a bit of a question mark since Winker's name is in a lot of trade rumors and Kelenic still doesn't look like an MLB-level hitter, but I'm happy about giving up a reliever and a far-off pitching prospect for Teoscar's + bat.

I imagine they try to solve LF via FA if possible. Kelenic starts the season as the 4th OF/defensive sub and if he starts getting results from the process he showed at the end of the season he gets more playing time.

Winker's going to be DHing a lot, even if it's just to get back into the swing of things as the season starts out.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I guess Swanson is the piece they wanted but i'm pretty meh on trading anything good for RP's. They are too volatile.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya but they turned 1 year of control into 9! Atkins does it again!!!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

I understand this trade more than I like it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

When you've got a competitive team in a competitive window, the best thing to do is trade away a good player for some A-ball guys so you can avoid paying his Arb 3 salary. :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Hand Knit posted:

I understand this trade more than I like it.